Author Topic: Will it have a genuine influence ...  (Read 4340 times)

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
Will it have a genuine influence ...
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:48:55 pm »
To have a cup in the cabinet? Will it influence the remainder of this campaign or a further one? In 2001 obviously the Worthington Cup was a start for bigger things for Liverpool in that season. However, last year, Birmingham went down.

Thoughts? Will it help in the League and FA Cup to have the trophy monkey of our back?
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Will it have a genuine influence ...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:53:09 pm »
I think it'll help us push on. Realistically, I think we have a pretty good chance in the FA Cup, pushing for fourth might be too big a step.

Offline -RedTilDead-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 10:13:11 pm »
It will have many positive effects.  It will increase the players' confidence and belief in themselves and each other, increase morale and team spirit. This current team has a long way to go in understanding each other and gelling together,  but winning this trophy should act as an effective catalyst to help us on to further success in the FA cup and 4th spot this year.

It will also make the owners happy and increase their confidence with Kenny and Clarke and co. I can't see anything but a positive outcome for everyone involved.

It also shifts the attention away from recent events.

Bring on the rest of the season!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:16:19 pm by -RedTilDead- »
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are." - Homer Simpson

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 10:14:50 pm »
Hmmmm good question.....

Let's say that to NOT have won the cup would have had an influence...

I saw some stats 2-3 years back that showed losing the carling cup final always had a deleterious effect on a teams form compared to wining it..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:17:15 pm »
Well in 2003 it didnt help at all, in 2005 we lost the final and we all know what happened next. I think we should just be happy we won a trophy again without expecting the trophy win to magically improve our league form or help us win the FA cup.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 10:17:17 pm »
It could, hopefully, be a real boost for a lot of players. They all know what winning feels like now and the first one is often the hardest.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 10:27:37 pm »
It can only help surely, as once you have actually won a trophy you know you can do it again. The more you win, the more it becomes a habit.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:33:01 pm »
Look at Arsenal last year. Thats all I have to say.

Previous to that game, they were doing okay league wise and just beat Barca 2-1 at home and put geniune questions to the CL race.

Obafemi Fartins destroyed that and from there Arsenal crashed down hill.

My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline masterbaker

• kneads a good rise.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:35:28 pm »
i think it will have a positive effect, confidence in that they can win trophies, and hopefully they will get the taste! success is very moorish!!!!

Offline mat106

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 10:40:19 pm »
Can't do any harm now can it?

Offline El Torres gol

• Anny Roader
  • Rest In Peace The 96 YNWA
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 10:42:10 pm »
Who gives a fuck?
Just enjoy, whatever happens next happens.
One things for sure, all the Kenny doubters can go and do one
Dalglish...................................................
Brucie, Brucie what's the score?......................Brucie, what's the score?

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 10:43:07 pm »
I hope it it will, I think the main thing what we'll get out of this is the players especially the ones who don't communicate as much in the dressing room will all get drunk and get to know each other a lot better. Don't forget we have 7 new players who've been together less than a year so it should only do them good, and it's great for the young lads to have that Wembley (big game) experience in their locker
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 10:48:17 pm »
Nominal. You may get a slight boost in confidence, but if you don't have the technical skill or game intelligence to begin with, a little bit of extra confidence will have a negligible effect. We played poorly and won today despite dominating. Too much is made of Arsenal not winning it last year. Truth is they were already heading towards a downturn. Sadly I can't see this team putting in a good run to get fourth. They can raise their level for one off games but a run of good games is beyond them. The summer signings and Carroll are the main culprits, they add very little to Rafa's team.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 10:49:18 pm »
Whatever happens it's good to have the monkey off our back.
Don't forget we have 7 new players who've been together less than a year so it should only do them good, and it's great for the young lads to have that Wembley (big game) experience in their locker
Yep good point. Even for someone like Henderson today it can be a case of whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Many positives. Onward and upward under King Kenny.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 10:52:07 pm »
I think if we had comprehensively won it today it might have been a bigger propellant for the rest of the season.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 10:53:20 pm »
It takes the panic away from not qualifying through Europe at al in the League which was a possibility and hopefully will relax us a bit. Still in with a shout of 4th, certainly not giving up on it just because Chelsea and Arsenal won this weekend. Great chance for a cup double though.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 10:57:51 pm »
Honestly, finishing fourth is going to be really tough, especially if Agger's injured. However, we've got a massive chance in the FA cup, and the players experiencing this should make them want it even more.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 10:58:53 pm »
Lets just enjoy it. Worry about all that tomoz. . .
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 10:59:34 pm »
We'll find out next week.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 10:59:51 pm »
This season was always going to be one that we developed in.  I didn't expect us to win a trophy as I didn't really think we were in a position to.

We've won one and I'd expect that to push the rest of the season onwards and upwards.

Comparing us to Birmingham is like comparing apples to oranges really.  They are a smaller club and losing that lad through injury (him who was linked to us who went to Blackburn - can't recall his name - centre half) had an effect.  Their defence was a big part of their game.  They obviously thought they had nothing to play for after February and got dragged down into it having took their eye off the ball.  I also remember Norwich being in the top 3 about 15-20 years ago and then winning something stupid like 2 games after Christmas and getting relegated - so yes, it can happen.

But we have much to play for.  We can win the FA Cup and we can finish top four so I'm not overly

Happy we've won it and confident we'll push on

Offline WhiteHeat

• Legacy Fan
  • wants the traditions of LFC back.
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 11:01:28 pm »
Silverware is silverware.

Win both the Carling and FA Cups and it'll be a wonderful season. The modern day fan forgets how prestigious both of these cups 'used' to be, when they still should be.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 11:01:55 pm »
It will have some influence as many of the players will be able to to draw on the valuable experience of winning a cup. Winning cups is always a good thing.

Losing it would have had a terrible effect on us, which is just as important to consider.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 11:02:43 pm »
As a club, I think it's important to get that winning mentality back.  Knowing how to push through and finding your confidence is very important.

Offline theblackhumor

• Anny Roader
  • oh boy.
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 11:02:55 pm »
It will be a good influence for the players that hasn't won a trophy with liverpool. The young players like Carroll, Hendo, Coates, etc will definitely benefit from actually winning things at a young age. It also gives the entire club the belief that we are a team that is actually progressing and growing. To some the trophy definitely lacks "prestige" but to me it's an excellent start  ;D

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 11:03:18 pm »
moorish!!!!
Is true.
They never looked back after conquering Spain.

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 11:03:55 pm »
This season was always going to be one that we developed in.  I didn't expect us to win a trophy as I didn't really think we were in a position to.

We've won one and I'd expect that to push the rest of the season onwards and upwards.

Comparing us to Birmingham is like comparing apples to oranges really.  They are a smaller club and losing that lad through injury (him who was linked to us who went to Blackburn - can't recall his name - centre half) had an effect.  Their defence was a big part of their game.  They obviously thought they had nothing to play for after February and got dragged down into it having took their eye off the ball.  I also remember Norwich being in the top 3 about 15-20 years ago and then winning something stupid like 2 games after Christmas and getting relegated - so yes, it can happen.

But we have much to play for.  We can win the FA Cup and we can finish top four so I'm not overly

Happy we've won it and confident we'll push on

Wasnt really comparing to birmingham(the defender was dann btw) but I'm say,the carling cup triggered the entire processof arsenals downfall.

Now,I know we didn't loose it, but the significance of last years game shows what effect the cup can have.

I'm not implying this is going to rocket us into 4th. No it won't. Nor will us getting into the FA Cup semi's do that. But it will give us the motivation to go forward. It puts our game against arsenal in perspective and other away games nicely.
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline ShibbyLFC

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 11:04:58 pm »
I think if we had comprehensively won it today it might have been a bigger propellant for the rest of the season.

I don't buy that. If anything, I think winning it the way we did is a bigger propellant. The elation that comes from a win as dramatic as that is more than that of a thrashing. Wins that come right down to the wire are more memorable. Obviously, before the game, I'll take the thrashing 10 times out of 10 lol. But after, it makes it a bit more special that you pulled through under such tough circumstances. There's a reason Istanbul is so special to those who witnessed it.

Offline Easy

• Sunday Mornin Tiger
  • Kopite
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 11:05:57 pm »
It won't make Arsenal or Chelsea drop points. It might give us more confidence to in the upcoming matches though - but even if we start converting those draws into wins, we have to hope that the Chelsea and Arse continue to drop points, which is perhaps wishful thinking.

Look to ourselves and see where we get but I think an FA cup final could be the more likely outcome than 4th.

Offline Cybertom

• Legacy Fan
  • Rodgers will lead us back to glory.
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 11:07:01 pm »
I really think it will help us. Dalglish is too good of a manager to let this confidence and victory slip. Furthermore, players like Gerrard and Carragher in the squad will echo the drive Dalglish will no doubt be forcing.
We'll see with the game against Arsenal - that could really start or stunt our quest for 4th.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 11:09:44 pm »
Honest to gods. Enjoy your evening.