Author Topic: All Time PL Draft - With a Twist! (Discussion Thread & Sign up)  (Read 24333 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: All Time PL Draft - With a Twist! (Discussion Thread & Sign up)
« Reply #80 on: December 3, 2021, 10:37:48 am »

Won't she just ask when the final version is going to be produced?
Very good!

The totally football show had a little discussion on how Salah is the nearest thing to Henry we have seen, and those first 2 picks backs that up.

Drafts are always very much "in the moment", but Salah is so deserving of that number 1 pick.
Agreed. For me, Henry's possibly the best to ever do it in the Premier League, but Salah I think will overtake him in my thinking shortly. Salah was going to be my first pick in all honesty because of his vote-swaying potential, but when I didn't get him, it was always Henry to build the attack around. That season where he was robbed of the Balon D'or was insane, his numbers were criminal and he is still one of maybe only three players I've ever feared Liverpool coming up against.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #81 on: December 3, 2021, 10:42:01 am »
Who were the other two DS?

The only time I saw Henry in the flesh was just after we signed and was very quiet in the left wing. Davor Suker missed a penalty too (Fowler and Berger in a 2-0 win).

But know what you mean about Henry. Even under Rafa they were the one side I didn’t like us playing even though we did win a few. You knew the Chelsea and United games would be tight, tactical battles but Arsenal were the one side who if they clicked could embarrass you.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #82 on: December 3, 2021, 10:58:50 am »
Ashley Barnes and Jonathan Walters?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #83 on: December 3, 2021, 11:37:27 am »
For me it's still young Ronaldo who's the best Premier League player of all time, although we're not supposed to say that are we? Cutting in on his weaker foot but still getting those numbers is insane.

The only reason Henry wasn't a mile ahead of everyone else though was that he usually played in second gear in his prime and only unloaded when he needed to. The superiority he showed around 2004 was ridiculous to a Messi-degree when he bothered showing up. I remember a performance of his against Blackburn being said as 'a youth player too old for the team but no level to graduate to'. Very hard to judge for me between him, Salah and Suárez for the second best to grace the Premier League though. Honourable mentions to Vieira and prime van Dijk as well.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2021, 11:40:15 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: December 3, 2021, 11:52:31 am »
Ashley Barnes and Jonathan Walters?
Barnes yes but don't insult me with Walters, it's Kevin Davies.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #85 on: December 3, 2021, 11:57:58 am »
For me it's still young Ronaldo who's the best Premier League player of all time, although we're not supposed to say that are we? Cutting in on his weaker foot but still getting those numbers is insane.

The only reason Henry wasn't a mile ahead of everyone else though was that he usually played in second gear in his prime and only unloaded when he needed to. The superiority he showed around 2004 was ridiculous to a Messi-degree when he bothered showing up. I remember a performance of his against Blackburn being said as 'a youth player too old for the team but no level to graduate to'. Very hard to judge for me between him, Salah and Suárez for the second best to grace the Premier League though. Honourable mentions to Vieira and prime van Dijk as well.

The popular opinions keep on coming. :D

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #86 on: December 3, 2021, 12:13:01 pm »

Don't worry, storm in a teacup. I'd tell Italians to their face that I like 'Spaghetti Bavarese' (pasta with sauerkraut) so all well :D I think it's a bit premature to nominate Salah until he's single-handely led a second-best team to a Premier League title, which Ronaldo did at least once, but you could argue three times considering all the pedestrians in their midfield and on right back. He was a different beast compared to now. The only reason United won titles after him was that the competition fell off badly and that Rooney got on a roll simultaneously, the only times in his career he truly did. United without Ronaldo during the big four days though would've been a solid third-place team with Chelsea and Rafa cleaning the trophies up.

For me, the 2020 title was more on the team as a unit more than anything with Virgil as the star man. I'll reconsider if he drags this team to the title though.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2021, 12:26:31 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: December 3, 2021, 12:41:01 pm »
Its quite impressive how many different subjects you can chat utter wham on :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline JordanTremenderson

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #88 on: December 3, 2021, 01:02:17 pm »
Don't worry, storm in a teacup. I'd tell Italians to their face that I like 'Spaghetti Bavarese' (pasta with sauerkraut) so all well :D I think it's a bit premature to nominate Salah until he's single-handely led a second-best team to a Premier League title, which Ronaldo did at least once, but you could argue three times considering all the pedestrians in their midfield and on right back.

Salah not only gives you the goals & assists crazy output.

He'll also work far harder than Ronaldo (even when he was younger), tracking back more too.

Plus he's not a Manc!  ;D

Gimme Salah over that greasy bastard.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 3, 2021, 01:16:11 pm »

;D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #90 on: December 3, 2021, 01:41:27 pm »
Luis Suarez - Arsenal?

What are they smoking at the Emirates Emerald Isle?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: December 3, 2021, 01:50:30 pm »
Ronaldo took a few years of adjustments due to age to start dominating, as soon as Salah joined Liverpool he was dominant. Ronaldo is top 10 but not even top 5 for me, he did his best stuff elsewhere.

• Kopite
« Reply #92 on: December 3, 2021, 01:58:37 pm »
I'd argue Shearer was at his best at Blackburn.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #93 on: December 3, 2021, 01:59:30 pm »

Definitely. He was unstoppable there, even after his bad knee injury. 93-95 he was incredible.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: December 3, 2021, 02:00:14 pm »
Yeah, still had pace then, Blackburn was his undoubted peak. Fair play to the dirty bastard though, he reinvented himself when he lost his pace post injuries and still was a very effective striker. One of the best to do it and to this day the league's (92 onwards) greatest ever goalscorer.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: December 3, 2021, 02:07:33 pm »
You know what I will switch Shearer to Blackburn. Gives me an opportunity to draft JLingz or whoever newcastle may sign in coming days.

Also thats a cracking pick by Hazell

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #96 on: December 3, 2021, 02:09:37 pm »
Is the Lman living in an alternative universe where Suarez joined Arsenal or something? Did Ireland lose to Luxembourg there too mate?  ;D

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: December 3, 2021, 02:17:09 pm »
Also thats a cracking pick by Hazell

Can I shock you? I like Hazell.

But I'm not sure its a great one considering he's only become a really top player outside the PL.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #98 on: December 3, 2021, 02:18:07 pm »
Modric wouldn't be a top five pick (7th or thereabouts) considering all their careers, let alone in the Prem but it's always good to mix things up I suppose ;D

Cheers mate, at least I'm in good company considering you my good sir is also in the building and we usually chat wham together :D
Linudden.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: December 3, 2021, 02:19:07 pm »
Modric was a great player no doubt, but definitely became world class outside of the Premier League. He was quality though and doesn't look out of place in any team, but that does seem very high up the draft to choose him.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: December 3, 2021, 02:22:32 pm »
Given you can only pick one player each team, I took a bit of a risk with Modric in the hope that there'll still be some quality players left when it comes back round to me. There's not many players outside of the other 5 clubs that would get ahead of him I think.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: December 3, 2021, 02:26:12 pm »
Modric was a great player no doubt, but definitely became world class outside of the Premier League. He was quality though and doesn't look out of place in any team, but that does seem very high up the draft to choose him.

Can I shock you? I like Hazell.

But I'm not sure its a great one considering he's only become a really top player outside the PL.

I actually kinda disagree. Yes he pretty much won nothing with Spurs but that's because its Spurs.

He still was showing same qualities he displayed at Real Madrid. Just didn't have the same quality around him.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #102 on: December 3, 2021, 02:32:13 pm »
Ronaldo took a few years of adjustments due to age to start dominating, as soon as Salah joined Liverpool he was dominant. Ronaldo is top 10 but not even top 5 for me, he did his best stuff elsewhere.

He was 18 when he showed up and started dominating at 21, Salah was 25 so it's a bit like apples and oranges although I hear you, hope the wedding was nice :wave
Linudden.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #103 on: December 3, 2021, 02:41:06 pm »
Cheers mate, at least I'm in good company considering you my good sir is also in the building and we usually chat wham together :D
This you two?

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #104 on: December 3, 2021, 02:42:41 pm »
I have glasses so can't be. Lobo attributes those to my supreme intellect :champ
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: December 3, 2021, 03:00:14 pm »
Fucking hell don't group me with the reject! I'd like to think I'd never go to the lengths of creating multiple accounts to say how picked on I am :D

It'd be interesting (well....not) to know which seasons Ronaldo took a United team which was the second best in the league to the title? His time there literally culminated in winning the CL as well. But they didn't have a great right back..... :duh

Mo has scored 144 in 222 games for us, Ronaldo 130 in 308 for United. The two are not even comparable.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #106 on: December 3, 2021, 03:08:05 pm »
Fucking hell don't group me with the reject! I'd like to think I'd never go to the lengths of creating multiple accounts to say how picked on I am :D

While Lobo is a decent man, he clearly believes a few too many conspiracy theories in the RAWK-iverse :wave

2007, 2008 and 2009. Chelsea/Roman dropped the ball on all three occasions to be honest. Frigging Avram Grant took that squad on the verge of the title, the squad was that good.

Anyway, Ronaldo was cutting onto his weaker foot and Salah onto his stronger one and also Rooney was down the middle whereas Salah has greater freedom to roam in a more attacking team. Just looking at stats can be a bit misleading. He definitely is in the top three but don't estimate the difficulty in scoring above 30 in a season in a very rigid Whiskeynose system from out wide with a focus on winning 1-0 and keeping as many clean sheets as possible.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2021, 03:13:25 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: December 3, 2021, 03:08:42 pm »
I mean Ronaldo has always been a selfish player and rather lazy compared to Rooney and Tevez. So the argument he is better than Salah would be around if was better at scoring goals.

Salah broke the league goal scoring record in his first season and is on-track to break it again. (He probably won't break that record again due to AFCON)

He also has the most assists in the league. Same number Ronaldo managed in his whole Ballon D'or winning season.

So I don't see the Ronaldo argument at all. Henry or Salah for me.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: December 3, 2021, 03:27:26 pm »
He was 18 when he showed up and started dominating at 21, Salah was 25 so it's a bit like apples and oranges although I hear you, hope the wedding was nice :wave
Fair, I should've made the comparison that Lobo did, the GPG stat. That probably better illustrates my point.

It wasn't brilliant, thank you for asking though. The reception was in a Wetherspoons and I was the only man in the guests in a suit, to give you some perspective (probably not if you're not from the UK!).

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #109 on: December 3, 2021, 03:29:04 pm »

It'd be interesting (well....not) to know which seasons Ronaldo took a United team which was the second best in the league to the title? His time there literally culminated in winning the CL as well. But they didn't have a great right back..... :duh

Mo has scored 144 in 222 games for us, Ronaldo 130 in 308 for United. The two are not even comparable.
Curiously, that's exactly what George Michael said about Andrew Ridgeley when Wham was formed. Eventually, they learned to get along, so there's still hope for you two.  :)   

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: December 3, 2021, 03:31:38 pm »
I actually kinda disagree. Yes he pretty much won nothing with Spurs but that's because its Spurs.

He still was showing same qualities he displayed at Real Madrid. Just didn't have the same quality around him.

Thank you my friend. I'll be laughing at them when they're scrambling around picking Timothee Atouba and Oliver Skipp.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #111 on: December 3, 2021, 03:45:40 pm »
I think all you fuckers holding up to your Liverpool pick, are gonna regret it on the second round when Stephane Henchoz is the best pick left.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #112 on: December 3, 2021, 04:12:34 pm »
I think all you fuckers holding up to your Liverpool pick, are gonna regret it on the second round when Stephane Henchoz is the best pick left.

Get your goal scorers on while you can. Sergio Aguero better than most.

• Kopite
« Reply #113 on: December 3, 2021, 04:16:32 pm »

"HAND BALL!"

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #114 on: December 3, 2021, 04:32:35 pm »
Curiously, that's exactly what George Michael said about Andrew Ridgeley when Wham was formed. Eventually, they learned to get along, so there's still hope for you two.  :)

It's a bit asymmetrical because I always enjoy the Lobo banter, but he sometimes snipes a bit in the other direction. We're all human though so shit happens :D
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: December 3, 2021, 04:34:44 pm »
I wish I could find a Finchy 'its not banter' gif but here we are

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #116 on: December 3, 2021, 05:40:37 pm »
We should have some kind of time limit also in first round for this one...
Linudden.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #117 on: December 3, 2021, 06:09:41 pm »
Seriously? Stevie G, 7th pick of best in the premier league?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #118 on: December 3, 2021, 06:43:49 pm »
Bit confused as to how the players are judged.

If I pick a player who played for someone 4 times aged 38 and chose that team, would they be judged on the 400 class games they had for their more recognisable club or the mere minutes they plodded about for the relegation fodder? Nobody in particular in mind here, just want to be sure.

• Kopite
« Reply #119 on: December 3, 2021, 06:54:43 pm »
Bit confused as to how the players are judged.

If I pick a player who played for someone 4 times aged 38 and chose that team, would they be judged on the 400 class games they had for their more recognisable club or the mere minutes they plodded about for the relegation fodder? Nobody in particular in mind here, just want to be sure.

If you choose Salah for Chelsea, he'd be judged at that club, not LFC.

So you'd want Lampard at Chelsea not Man City for example.