Author Topic: Gini Wijnaldum  (Read 59542 times)

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gini Wijnaldum
« Reply #480 on: February 3, 2022, 03:00:22 pm »
what a downfall. Only positive is that he can look back his time with us winning almost every trophy imaginable.

Seems like his choices were kind of limited. Its either barca or psg wasn't it?  PSG seems to be a more "safer" choice compared to the shitshow at barca.

PSG offered him much bigger wages, pretty sure that's all it came down to.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #481 on: February 3, 2022, 07:47:43 pm »
I'm sure they're all much nicer to him on social media too.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #482 on: February 3, 2022, 07:55:51 pm »
PSG offered him much bigger wages, pretty sure that's all it came down to.

Double wasn't it? Because they're FFP proof.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #483 on: February 3, 2022, 07:56:31 pm »
Seems like his choices were kind of limited. Its either barca or psg wasn't it?
There was some other club as well.... Liver-something?

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: February 3, 2022, 08:05:11 pm »
Looks like he'll be left off PSG's Champions league squad.

Wow, he is getting paid like 200k per/week and they only signed him 6 months ago. Shocking how blatantly these clubs are able to flaunt FFP.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #485 on: February 3, 2022, 10:10:44 pm »
Anybody left us under Klopp who’s gone on to be successful? All our first team players under Klopp have flopped big time once they left, coutinho and Gini spring to mind and Can didn’t pull up any trees at Juventus either. Only one I can think of is Luis Alberto

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: February 4, 2022, 06:26:04 am »
He’s in their champions league squad, Bernat missed out.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #487 on: February 4, 2022, 06:52:13 am »
You mean people jumped the gun on the flimsiest pretext? Surely not...? ;)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #488 on: February 4, 2022, 08:20:17 am »
Anybody left us under Klopp who’s gone on to be successful? All our first team players under Klopp have flopped big time once they left, coutinho and Gini spring to mind and Can didn’t pull up any trees at Juventus either. Only one I can think of is Luis Alberto

Maybe Ings?

Online Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #489 on: February 4, 2022, 10:28:05 am »
Lucas.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #490 on: February 4, 2022, 12:31:40 pm »
Plenty have gone on to do well elsewhere. But in terms of being at the same level or higher I dont think any have under Klopp and the only few in decades that stand out who have would be Xabi, Masch and Suarez.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: February 4, 2022, 12:48:52 pm »

that's good.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: February 5, 2022, 07:21:04 pm »
Seems like he's not in their CL squad after all.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: February 7, 2022, 03:26:10 am »

Benteke - 32M recouped for a lad that went to palace and has played 170 odd games and scored 40 goals. 
Ibe - 15M recouped for a lad that held promise but really hasn't delivered at all. Now plying his trade in Turkey.
Joe Allen - 13M recouped and he has been at Stoke since, albeit struggling with injuries increasingly. Still features for Wales frequently.
Skrtel - sold for 5M to Fenerbahce and he has largely carved a pretty good career in Turkey, even winning the Super Lig with Istanbul Basaksehir. Now back in his homeland winding down his career.
Luis Alberto- 4M recouped for a player that never really broke through. Has gone on to become a club favourite at Lazio and still there playing well.
Brad Smith - Despite playing for us as a teenager, it never really worked out for Brad Smith. Now plays in the MLS.
Sakho - 26M recouped for a bit of a bad-boy defender. Spent 4 seasons at Crystal Palace and now back in France after his contract wasn't renewed. Once the PSG Captain, now the 31 yr old barely starts for Montpellier and last played for France in 2018.
Balotelli - Went to Nice on free transfer and has had a journeyman career for such a gifted footballer. His is a cautionary tale of how skill without attitude and application get you nowhere. However, at 31, he's been recalled to the Italian team and maybe some sense will finally enter his head.
Kolo Toure - Kolo followed Brendan to Celtic for a season, then retired and then followed Brendan again to Leicester where he is a coach.
Markovic - A series of unsuccessful loans and then a solitary appearance at Fulham, Markovic is now back in his home country where he plays consistently for Partizan. His career definitely hasn't panned out the way people had perhaps thought it would.
Wisdom - Plays as a regular for Derby Co in the championship but didn't re-sign with them after their financial woes and now seems to not be playing.
Jon Flanagan - The Scouse Cafu joined Stevie G at Rangers before becoming a bench warmer in the Belgian and Danish leagues.
Lucas - Joined Lazio for 5M and has become a fan-favourite there making 180 odd appearances and winning various plaudits.
Sturridge - Joined the Turkish Super Lig before being suspended for betting issues, and now plies his trade in Australia
Grujic - Sold to Porto for 11M where he is a bit of a squad player. Still only 25 though, and his best football could still be before him.
Danny Ward - After his heroics at Huddersfield, Ward was sold to Leicester for 12M and has largely been their backup GK, making a few cup appearances
Klavan - Cult hero Klavan was sold to Cagliari for 2M and spent 3 seasons there before heading back to Estonia where he is in the twilight of his career
Harry WIlson - A former academy player of the year, had multiple successful loans before finding his level in the Championship with Fulham and Wales.
Can - Joined Juve but never really made the grade there and then back in Germany where he struggles for game time too.
Ryan Kent - Sold to Rangers for 7M and had 2 very good seasons under Stevie G, and is still there
Ings - Sold to Southampton for 20M and has unsurprisingly had success there and then at Villa. Will be interesting to see how he fares under Stevie G
Awoniyi - After being persistently on loan, he was sold for 7M and is tearing up the Bundesliga with Union Berlin, and recently scored at AFCON as well.
Solanke - Big Dom Solanke was sold to Bournemouth for 20M and struggled in the EPL but has been a goalscoring machine for them in the Championship
Moreno - Released by us, he has gone on to have a bit-part career at Villlareal
Mignolet - Sold to Club Brugge for 6.5M, he is their No.1 and has won 2 league titles in Belgium
Ejaria - Signed for Reading and seems to have found his level in the Championship
Lovren - SIgned for Zenit and has spearheaded their March to consecutive domestic cups and league titles
Shaqiri - Signed for 6M to Lyon and has struggled to be a regular there. Seems like he might move again, ever the Journeyman
Wijnaldum - Signed for PSG for big money but now won't even take part in their CL campaign. Struggled with injuries in France when he was an ever-present here
Lallana - After a number of injury packed seasons here, he moved to Brighton and has been consistently selected and even captained the outfit.
Clyne - Struggled with injuries and then moved to Palace where he seems to be signing only 1 yearly contracts and very much a squad player. Suspect he's been marred significantly by his injuries

It's hard to do better than LFC. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world, and in recent history at the forefront of winning things. In general, players who move on only do well if they play at a lower level.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: February 7, 2022, 06:44:19 am »
Tbf i don't feel bitter about him. I truly feel sorry for him. He played a big part for us to win the league and the champion league. He's a legend in my eyes, bigger legend than the likes of Suarez and Torres. Yes, he said couple of wrong things when he left but that could never outweigh his massive contribution that he gave.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: February 20, 2022, 06:41:41 am »
Saw he was trending and checked out why, seems like he’s getting absolutely hammered for his performances.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #496 on: February 20, 2022, 08:56:19 am »
Tbf i don't feel bitter about him. I truly feel sorry for him. He played a big part for us to win the league and the champion league. He's a legend in my eyes, bigger legend than the likes of Suarez and Torres. Yes, he said couple of wrong things when he left but that could never outweigh his massive contribution that he gave.

Unfortunately, in the age of the Outrage Train that is the internet, a few disagreeable lines spoken after leaving us does exactly outweigh years of service to the club and trophies to match.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #497 on: February 20, 2022, 09:06:10 am »
Unfortunately, in the age of the Outrage Train that is the internet, a few disagreeable lines spoken after leaving us does exactly outweigh years of service to the club and trophies to match.
What he said wasn't even all that disagreeable. All he said, essentially and more politely, is that there are some right twats among the Twitter fans, which is absolutely correct. Anyone getting offended by that is literally looking for something to be outraged about

I have no problem with that from a fan point of view. What I did think was a slight concern was that letting those gobshites know that they had affected him, or worse, making it sound like that might have been part of why he left, risks making them think that their twattery gets results, and might well encourage them to pile in on other players whom they decide they don't like
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: February 20, 2022, 06:34:29 pm »

Not for me. I'll remember him lifting the league trophy and champion league trophy, and being a brilliant servant to the club.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: February 20, 2022, 11:06:27 pm »
we have some real clowns in our support.

it was clear Gini didnt want to leave. the club didnt want to keep him and he left.  the mans contribution to our success far outweighs some comments he made

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #500 on: February 20, 2022, 11:13:42 pm »

it was clear Gini didnt want to leave. the club didnt want to keep him and he left.  the mans contribution to our success far outweighs some comments he made

It’s been well reported that the club offered him a new deal. So it’s wrong to say the club didn’t want to keep him. We just didn’t offer what he was happy with and he thought he could go and join Barca.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: February 21, 2022, 08:06:08 am »
It is a bit mad how shit he's been for them considering the standards much weaker? I loved Gini I thought he was brilliant and got unfairly slated last season.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: February 21, 2022, 08:11:41 am »
It is a bit mad how shit he's been for them considering the standards much weaker? I loved Gini I thought he was brilliant and got unfairly slated last season.

Think playing midfield for PSG means that you have to do it all on your own. Don't expect the likes of Neymar or Messi to come back you up if you're in trouble.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: February 21, 2022, 08:46:33 am »
Saw he was trending and checked out why, seems like he’s getting absolutely hammered for his performances.

Good thing he doesn't read much into stuff like this.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: February 21, 2022, 10:22:59 am »

I thought he was relatively poor in his last season here, he didn't really offer anything except availability. We look much better without him these days.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: February 21, 2022, 10:28:10 am »

He wanted a longer contract than we were prepared to offer and instead of being honest about it, he trotted out some bullshit about Twitter fans made him leave.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #506 on: February 21, 2022, 10:37:43 am »
I thought he was relatively poor in his last season here, he didn't really offer anything except availability. We look much better without him these days.

Fabinho and Henderson are looking much better at centre back this season. And Rhys Williams has definitely improved without Gini in the side.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: February 21, 2022, 10:48:24 am »

Yeah PSG fans don't like him at all and he gets it off 2 sets of fans as Barca fans celebrate him not being there taking minutes from Pedri or Gavi. We handled his contract situation very well, could have easily given him a crazy contract based on the past, success etc like a lot wanted and not what he'd been over his last 18 months for us but thankfully we didn't.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #508 on: February 21, 2022, 10:59:38 am »

Oh dear Gini, wasn't he moaning to the media when he left about Liverpool fans criticising him on social media all the time  :'(

He was a solid player in a team where he was tactically very good and was very robust where he barely picked up any injuries but he was a very frustrating player to watch. He would pick the easy pass 9 times out of 10 instead of trying a slightly riskier pass.

Can see him back in the premier league in the summer- Spurs/Arsenal or Newcastle the likely destination.

Hold no grudges against him, he contributed to us winning the league and CL but the way he was slating the club after leaving left a bit of a bitter taste.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #509 on: February 21, 2022, 11:00:43 am »
Yeah PSG fans don't like him at all and he gets it off 2 sets of fans as Barca fans celebrate him not being there taking minutes from Pedri or Gavi.

Which kind of shows what a stupid argument the whole not feeling loved because of some idiots on social media was. At the end of the day, he and the club had different views about what his future at Liverpool should look like and therefore they couldn't agree a contract extension. Nothing wrong with that, it happens. Don't blame him for taking PSG's offer, either. But to then say it happened because of a lack of love was just a pisstake.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #510 on: February 21, 2022, 11:02:50 am »
Pity.

No big issues with players leaving for blood money towards the end of their career but.....just own it. Don't make out like you left because you didn't feel valued, or that you felt bullied by online fans. He was offered a contract and left for far, far more. Fine. He was very important for us throughout his time here, even last season when I don't think he was up to his usual standard he was vital. But when you leave to a sportswasher you really do open yourself up.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #511 on: February 21, 2022, 11:17:08 am »
The only thing he said which I didn't like was about the online abuse. I hate it when players go on about getting shit on twitter etc. As long as it doesn't cross the line of extreme personal abuse or racism etc, players should be able to take it as long as they use these sites. The worst thing about it for me is that he (and I presume plenty of other players) seem to value those opinions more than the ones of those in the ground. A player who was pretty much always loved by the fanbase, for what it's worth. I think it was a weak excuse but potentially just used to validate his leaving more in his own mind.

Looking back on his time here though, it'll always be fond memories. Vital in taking us back into the Champions League, winning it, then winning the league. His impact is still a bit underappreciated I feel. I wouldn't have him back at this stage given his age and lack of football this year, but he's still absolutely quality. Hope he leaves PSG and finds somewhere where he can play football and win trophies. Not Newcastle, like.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: February 21, 2022, 11:29:08 am »
It's worked out well for us.  He's a legend overall for his work, nothing changes that work,  even if he had said fuck Liverpool on the way out.  That kind of ever presence tends to cut short your prime due to the wear and tear.  Wasn't keen on us offering a contract anyway,  glad it wasn't accepted.  The club should embrace the fact that it's management,  it's perfectly ok to cut loose any of Salah,  Mane,  Van Dijk if by their data,  judgement,  they won't be worth the new outlay,  even if the optics are shit.  Seeing him lose his legs for Psg is a great credit to Liverpool's decision making.  You want to see this process for every current star,  that's how one great team segues into a new one.  You keep one or two on low wages for the leadership if they're willing,  setting the tone etc but the big money must always go where there's value.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #513 on: February 21, 2022, 11:46:29 am »
The only thing he said which I didn't like was about the online abuse. I hate it when players go on about getting shit on twitter etc. As long as it doesn't cross the line of extreme personal abuse or racism etc, players should be able to take it as long as they use these sites.
Yeah he should man up and take it, he earned millions after all, that means he became immune to such stuff, and those jolly lads should be able to say what they want. We need to protect the right of fans to talk shite and act like gobshites. It's the biggest existential threat facing fandom and we all need to man up. Yeah, man up.

FML

The worst thing about it for me is that he (and I presume plenty of other players) seem to value those opinions more than the ones of those in the ground. A player who was pretty much always loved by the fanbase, for what it's worth. I think it was a weak excuse but potentially just used to validate his leaving more in his own mind.
I can't remember his exact words now, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned the love he got from the fans in the grounds and was only critical of a small subsection of twats.

Is there any group in the world more absurdly sensitive than football fans?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: February 21, 2022, 11:53:35 am »
Yeah he should man up and take it, he earned millions after all, that means he became immune to such stuff, and those jolly lads should be able to say what they want. We need to protect the right of fans to talk shite and act like gobshites. It's the biggest existential threat facing fandom and we all need to man up. Yeah, man up.

FML
I can't remember his exact words now, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned the love he got from the fans in the grounds and was only critical of a small subsection of twats.

Football players.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #515 on: February 21, 2022, 12:04:12 pm »
Football players.
Ee sHuD mAn uP lIke wOt I dO!!!!

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: February 21, 2022, 12:06:59 pm »
Ee sHuD mAn uP lIke wOt I dO!!!!

I mean, these are grown men that go down to the floor off the slightest touch and start rolling around.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #517 on: February 21, 2022, 12:09:54 pm »
I mean, these are grown men that go down to the floor off the slightest touch and start rolling around.
Well that's true enough, but I suspect that's shithouse tactics (personal or coached) rather than sensitivity.

I do accept that Lallana was quite sensitive due to overuse of Nivea, mind

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: February 21, 2022, 12:32:54 pm »
Are football players contractually obliged to have a social media presence?  Personally I wouldn't touch twitter with a bargepole. I click on the occasional link I see on RAWK, but don't have an account and no intention of getting one either.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #519 on: February 21, 2022, 12:58:37 pm »

FML

What are you on about? I literally mentioned the fact that there's a line that bellends cross, where it's a lot more than simply criticising a bad performance. I never suggested that he should 'man up' - that's you trying to make a thing out of something that isn't there.

What I said was simple - if a player uses something like twitter or instagram, as long as the dialogue is fair and not abusive from the fans, they should have a right to voice their opinion, whatever that may mean to the players. I don't think something like Rawk is any different in that regard, even if it's not for the players, but for fans of LFC. If you can't use these things for so much as a borderline, neutral, inoffensive opinion, then they're a bit fucking pointless, aren't they?

I loved Wijnaldum, and I still do. Ultimately, when I look back on it down the line I'll probably just laugh at that comment, especially in the context of him joining PSG. Yeah, it done my head in a bit at the time, and I still personally believe he was talking shite, but alas, he said it, and that's his right. I don't really care how it all played out, we had him, he was great, and he left after giving us the best years of his playing career.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 01:00:14 pm by disgraced cake »
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.