Author Topic: A Christopher Nolan Thread  (Read 50311 times)

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Interstellar (Christopher Nolan's next film).
« Reply #40 on: May 8, 2014, 11:16:30 am »
As long as the terrible french girl that sucked in Inception and Batman is out of the way I'm cool.

Also JGL can fuck off.

Mate, besides being drop dead gorgeous, she's won an Academy Award (La Vie en Rose) and did decent jobs in 'Midnight in Paris' as well as 'Rust and Bone".
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #41 on: May 8, 2014, 11:25:46 am »
I often think to myself when watching her how much she sucks.

Good actress though.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: May 8, 2014, 11:32:25 am »
Marion Cotillard?

Do you have a problem with good actors mate? ;D

She was bloody awful in Batman to be fair. Her final scene was hilariously hammed up. People actually laughed out loud in the cinema

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #43 on: May 8, 2014, 11:39:29 am »

Marion Coulthard (David's sister obviously) isn't in Interstellar.

Why she is being criticised/defended when she isn't even in it is beyond me.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #44 on: May 8, 2014, 11:45:49 am »
^ The Dark Knight Returns is really all over the place, so it's more telling that was all left how it was by the director and crew. Including her death scene, straight out of a '50s B-movie, ha. I've actually come to the conclusion that much of it is deliberate, like Bane's ridiculously abrupt and cheap departure, some of the editing and plot structure, etc. Like they couldn't really be arsed, so just started having a laugh with it.

She can do a hell of a lot better under more meticulous direction, clearly.

And in keeping with the perhaps slightly dodgy sexist tone of all my posts in this thread so far...  phwoar, eh?

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #45 on: May 8, 2014, 11:49:58 am »
*Rises, even.

Like I am now thinking of her.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #46 on: May 8, 2014, 12:03:16 pm »
I see the plot has been more or less leaked.

Spoiler
...Nolan takes some risks with the story. McConaghey's "everyman" is sent accidentally through a wormhole, where he ends up on the other side of the galaxy. The aliens he meets there are (no surprise) humans just like us.

Quite predictably, it turns out they "seeded" the Earth millenia ago and have now decided to see if we are at a stage of evolution worthy of the mythical Next Step. This apparently involves playing chess with McConaghey, and of course the sexy female alien deciding to mate with him. He is given the opportunity to destroy the alien "master race" or allow them to come back through the wormhole to take over governance of Earth and harvesting/sharing of our resources.

I'll leave the result of the decision up to the film...
[close]

Okay, I now see that this was some utter moonshit internet bullshit crap theory.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:37:06 am by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: May 8, 2014, 12:13:57 pm »
I see the plot has been more or less leaked.

Spoiler
...Nolan takes some risks with the story. McConaghey's "everyman" is sent accidentally through a wormhole, where he ends up on the other side of the galaxy. The aliens he meets there are (no surprise) humans just like us.

Quite predictably, it turns out they "seeded" the Earth millenia ago and have now decided to see if we are at a stage of evolution worthy of the mythical Next Step. This apparently involves playing chess with McConaghey, and of course the sexy female alien deciding to mate with him. He is given the opportunity to destroy the alien "master race" or allow them to come back through the wormhole to take over governance of Earth and harvesting/sharing of our resources.

I'll leave the result of the decision up to the film...
[close]

I must say, that sounds rather dull.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 8, 2014, 12:15:25 pm »
Excited for this, hope it's not absolute garbage like TDKR
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 8, 2014, 12:17:03 pm »
Excited for this, hope it's not absolute garbage like TDKR

TDKR wasn't garbage

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #50 on: May 8, 2014, 12:20:14 pm »
I must say, that sounds rather dull.

Whilst I agree that its seems fairly rudimentary, I thought it was interesting.

A lot of these Sci-Fi films of late seem to be going in almost the same direction. They're all carrying with them a healthy portion of religious iconoclasm. Tom Cruise's new film Edge of Tomorrow, seems to be in a similar vein, but with a different twist. It does seem very starship trooper-like, but the idea that we were 'put' on this earth for a reason other than to procreate is an interesting one.

This Interstellar seems to me to be a story about the next step in Evolution. If you look at Darwen's theory of evolution, what would be the next step after "human"?
Continually on 11,420.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: May 8, 2014, 12:21:43 pm »
If you look at Darwen's theory of evolution, what would be the next step after "human"?

Human race mk2, without the twats, wools, bellends, dickheads and whoppers.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #52 on: May 8, 2014, 12:22:51 pm »

Well that is one possibility...
Continually on 11,420.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: May 8, 2014, 12:24:45 pm »

However, if you believe what happens in Idiocracy it seems like its the twats, wools, bell ends, dickheads and whoppers who take over. ;D

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: May 8, 2014, 12:27:16 pm »
Whilst I agree that its seems fairly rudimentary, I thought it was interesting.

A lot of these Sci-Fi films of late seem to be going in almost the same direction. They're all carrying with them a healthy portion of religious iconoclasm. Tom Cruise's new film Edge of Tomorrow, seems to be in a similar vein, but with a different twist. It does seem very starship trooper-like, but the idea that we were 'put' on this earth for a reason other than to procreate is an interesting one.

This Interstellar seems to me to be a story about the next step in Evolution. If you look at Darwen's theory of evolution, what would be the next step after "human"?

Personally I think its starting to get overdone a bit mate the whole we were put here for a reason narrative. In that sense, the new Star Wars films are almost a welcome release in terms of just going out and having an outlandish fantasy film set in space rather than attempting to combine science with a hint of realism with some rather unbelievable claims. Besides, as far as films of this ilk go, 2001 set the bar so high, I doubt it'll ever be beaten unless and until our understanding of space is fundamentally altered. 

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #55 on: May 8, 2014, 12:27:23 pm »
However, if you believe what happens in Idiocracy it seems like its the twats, wools, bell ends, dickheads and whoppers who take over. ;D

As funny as Idiocracy is the message that intelligence is lost is an interesting one.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: May 8, 2014, 12:29:14 pm »
As funny as Idiocracy is the message that intelligence is lost is an interesting one.

I read a book called Blind Faith by Ben Elton (The guy that co-wrote the Blackadder series) and its got a similar plot and could IMO make for a great film for someone like Ricky Gervais to make. Similar to Idiocracy if people are wondering.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 8, 2014, 12:34:47 pm »

[nitpick]
I'm not sure Darwin ever thought of evolution as having 'steps'...
[/nitpick]
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #58 on: May 8, 2014, 12:36:31 pm »
Personally I think its starting to get overdone a bit mate the whole we were put here for a reason narrative. In that sense, the new Star Wars films are almost a welcome release in terms of just going out and having an outlandish fantasy film set in space rather than attempting to combine science with a hint of realism with some rather unbelievable claims. Besides, as far as films of this ilk go, 2001 set the bar so high, I doubt it'll ever be beaten unless and until our understanding of space is fundamentally altered.

Good point on 2001. But 2001 was so cryptic that it almost carried with it a certain degree of gestalt-ism. I know the whole concept of 2001 was an interesting one that asks the question. Yep, nothing like a good old thoughtless film to tap straight into the emotional core of the brain.

But these recent theological films that do in fact lay question to the reason for humankind puts religious enlightenment right in the spotlight. I for one, think that, that is only a good thing.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59 on: May 8, 2014, 12:37:49 pm »
[nitpick]
I'm not sure Darwin ever thought of evolution as having 'steps'...
[/nitpick]

Mate, I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about when it comes to Darwen's theories other than referencing on Wikipedia. I'm just talking shit here.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 8, 2014, 12:40:16 pm »
TDKR wasn't garbage

Awful dialogue, poor pacing, ridiculous jumps in logic, strange character motivations

It was definitely garbage compared to what came before it
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #61 on: May 8, 2014, 12:42:55 pm »
Awful dialogue, poor pacing, ridiculous jumps in logic, strange character motivations

It was definitely garbage compared to what came before it

Gotta say, I kind of agree here.

After numerous viewings of the Nolan's Batman series, this one has by far the worst Screenplay. It does seem like it was rushed.

It looks good as a film, and all the cliche's, motifs and ideas are there. But I think it's poorly written.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: May 8, 2014, 12:46:29 pm »
Mate, I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about when it comes to Darwen's theories other than referencing on Wikipedia. I'm just talking shit here.

:D Fair enough. I get why you would think that though, especially if the film, as you say, has a sort of underlying religious theme then it makes sense to think of evolution as having a purpose and a goal towards which it is working.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #63 on: May 8, 2014, 12:52:22 pm »
:D Fair enough. I get why you would think that though, especially if the film, as you say, has a sort of underlying religious theme then it makes sense to think of evolution as having a purpose and a goal towards which it is working.

Well this is Prometheus all over again isn't it?

Some would say that what sets these recent "What is humankind?" science fiction films apart from the others is the strong atheist undertones. I for one think they're great. Whilst it could be said that a lot of Tom Cruise's recent films are full of Scientology-symbolism, fuck it I say, as long as it tells a good story that I can buy into, it's fine by my book.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline TheDarkKnight

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers' Tricky Reds
« Reply #64 on: May 8, 2014, 05:11:01 pm »
I watched The Dark Knight Rises four times in the week it came out, which would suggest I absolutely clucked for it, but having seen it back a few times since I realised I was just a bit carried away.

Not a bad film by any means but there were a fair few plotholes and scenes definitely seemed rushed. It looks worse when you compare it to The Dark Knight and Batman Begins, too, but that's unfair - on its own it is a decent movie, just not what it perhaps could and should have been given the predecessors and super-strong cast.

Interstellar I am hyped for. Was hyped for Prometheus which turned out to be a bit of a mess but I have great faith in Nolan.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #65 on: May 8, 2014, 05:58:30 pm »
I watched The Dark Knight Rises four times in the week it came out, which would suggest I absolutely clucked for it, but having seen it back a few times since I realised I was just a bit carried away.

Not a bad film by any means but there were a fair few plotholes and scenes definitely seemed rushed. It looks worse when you compare it to The Dark Knight and Batman Begins, too, but that's unfair - on its own it is a decent movie, just not what it perhaps could and should have been given the predecessors and super-strong cast.

Interstellar I am hyped for. Was hyped for Prometheus which turned out to be a bit of a mess but I have great faith in Nolan.

Straight from the horses mouth there. No-one can argue with that.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2014, 07:29:30 pm »
looks interesting

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zSWdZVtXT7E?hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zSWdZVtXT7E?hl=en_GB</a>
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2014, 07:34:35 pm »
Looks like it could be very good, I just hope 90% of it isn't focused on family shit and we get some cool sci-fi

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2014, 07:36:54 pm »
Looks like it could be very good, I just hope 90% of it isn't focused on family shit and we get some cool sci-fi

The clip of space warping around the ship suggests that the story has some sort of time travel component

edit

I just nicked this little plot description of latino review

"Interstellar" chronicles the adventures of a group of explorers who make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:41:40 pm by Sinos »
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2014, 07:56:29 pm »
The clip of space warping around the ship suggests that the story has some sort of time travel component

edit

I just nicked this little plot description of latino review

Yeah I get the concept of it, I just hope most of the film is exploring the wormhole and the ideas behind it and what's on the other side rather than stuck on a farm weighing up the morality of leaving his kids behind

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2014, 08:26:05 pm »
Reminds me of Star Trek first contact.....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2014, 05:07:25 pm »
Trailer is a bit so-so isn't it?

It does hark of there being a family drama at the crux of it.
Continually on 11,420.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »
Trailer is a bit so-so isn't it?

It does hark of there being a family drama at the crux of it.
It looks a touch Spielberg does the trailer......

Still, is that trailer a summery of the film or just the very beginning?  Who knows?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2014, 06:15:59 pm »
It looks a touch Spielberg does the trailer......

Still, is that trailer a summery of the film or just the very beginning?  Who knows?

Well it's essentially the first act I'd guess.

Showing you the setup...
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2014, 08:57:10 pm »
I loved the trailer and I'm already suitably set up to disappoint myself.

I'm guessing the movie is around 40 minutes setting it up and around 90 minutes + in space.
:D

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2014, 01:23:29 am »

Quite a bit like
Spoiler
Source Code
[close]
, no?

Spoiler
no
[close]
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2014, 01:43:06 am »
Kinda sounds just like it!

Sorry mate, I honestly thought you were joking...

You think Source Code has a similar synopsis to this?

What do you mean?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2014, 09:06:25 am »
Not the synopsis as much as the

Spoiler
time loops thing. In Source Code, Gyllenhaal is also dead and used to relive an event time and time again until he gets something right.
[close]

Sounds more like the new Tom Cruise film Edge of Tomorrow

Spoiler
in it he plays a soldier who has to relive the last day of his life fighting an alien army until he gets it right and wins
[close]

Or even Groundhog Day!
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2014, 05:35:44 pm »
New trailer will be out soon. Christopher Nolan made a "secret" appearance at Comic-Con.
Continually on 11,420.