Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5737862 times)

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Wenger's history - now Unai Emery DIS-appointed
« Reply #54360 on: November 29, 2019, 12:22:55 pm »
We just need Paolo di Canio to be appointed at West ham to complete the full house of early '00s club legends to be given top jobs for no apparent reason.

Paolo Wanchope must be looking at Derby's results and expecting a call any day now.

Surely Wanchope is set for the City job when Guardiola leaves?
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54361 on: November 29, 2019, 12:25:08 pm »
If they had a little bit of sense, they'd appoint Allegri till the end of the season. Or they go all guns blazing for Don Carlo who will be a really good appointment (though his league record is a bit dodgy).

For our sake, I hope they are pulling out all stops for Arteta.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54362 on: November 29, 2019, 12:25:43 pm »
Worst run of form in 27 years.  Not surprised he's gone - was absolutely stinking the place out, but then the same can be said for a lot of the playing staff.

Would love to see a ruthless manager come in and whip these players into shape but unfortunately there is a sense of inertia with this club which seems to mean the same players hang around the changing room under performing for far too long.

Rafa - I'd take him, the side needs a solid defensive base and a CL winning manager has enough gravitas to tell the slackers to get their finger out.

All that said, some of the playing performances were well, well below what you'd expect from a pro team of this level even if you consider Emery's influence - it's nowhere near good enough.  The stadium being nowhere near full this Thursday was testament to the unrest amongst the fanbase at the moment.  Chelsea with a transfer ban, Poch sacked, Utd unsettled - it's the perfect time to kick on, make the right appointment and actually have the fans enjoy the football a bit more.  I'm sure many fans would take losing out on top 4 even if it meant an exciting team to watch.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #54363 on: November 29, 2019, 12:26:34 pm »
Surely Wanchope is set for the City job when Guardiola leaves?

Come on mate, be sensible.   It'll be Shaun Goater.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #54364 on: November 29, 2019, 12:54:10 pm »
Watch them go on a run with Ljungberg and they go down the Ole route

I can see the Allegri talk but right now they need a Premiership experienced manager. Not another rebuilding job and a manager that'll need time to settle.

Rafa Benitez would make Arsenal better. But they just wont go for him. He's not marketable for them or the fans. Plus they dont deserve him.

Poch would be a good choice but I think think its too soon after Spurs.

Santo is probably their level

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #54365 on: November 29, 2019, 12:54:22 pm »
Think Rodgers would have been absolutely perfect for them.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Wenger Gone - Unai Emery appointed
« Reply #54366 on: November 29, 2019, 12:54:51 pm »
It's got to be Allegri coming in. It makes the most sense. I can't see them just writing this season off to go for Arteta in the summer

There are a couple of issues with going with Allegri, for me:
1)  He speaks no English.  Like at all.  Even Emery spoke some English, and his lack of English has been criticised by some as being a reason why he didn't get the team playing together
2)  He has said, back in 2012, that he will retire in 2022 at the age off 55 due to the stress, and before then he would quite like to manage the Italian national team (although with Mancini in role until 2022 this might not be possible).  So it will be a short term deal.
3)  He can be an overly defensive coach - Arsenal's strength is their attack, and I could see him trying to drop at least one of their forward line for another DM (which I don't think would work as well as just being more creative at the right time).

Poch is a significantly better manager, especially with the circumstances at the club.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #54367 on: November 29, 2019, 12:56:15 pm »
I have my doubts as to whether the Arsenal board can get the decision right, so many clubs seem to have little idea of what sort of manager they actually need. One thing is for sure if they get the next appointment wrong, they will be in real trouble.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54368 on: November 29, 2019, 01:00:17 pm »

Seems like a bold call when they are crying out for somebody who can get some life out of their hopeless defence.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #54369 on: November 29, 2019, 01:06:34 pm »

Why? He's in the perfect place at the moment. People need to remember, Rodgers wasn't great in Europe for us. For now, let's see if he can take Leicester further than what he currently has. People are hyping him up endlessly at the moment. Barnes makes the crazy claim that Rodgers could do what Klopp has done, also took my breath away today.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54370 on: November 29, 2019, 01:06:42 pm »
Rafa prides himself on never having broken a contract iirc.  Would be the first time in his career if Arsenal were to go in and get him.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Wenger Gone - Unai Emery appointed
« Reply #54371 on: November 29, 2019, 01:14:50 pm »
We announce today that the decision has been taken to part company with our head coach Unai Emery and his coaching team.

Speaking on behalf of the Arsenal board and our owners Kroenke Sports & Entertainment, Josh Kroenke said: “Our most sincere thanks go to Unai and his colleagues who were unrelenting in their efforts to get the club back to competing at the level we all expect and demand. We wish Unai and his team nothing but future success.”

The decision has been taken due to results and performances not being at the level required.

We have asked Freddie Ljungberg to take responsibility for the first team as interim head coach. We have full confidence in Freddie to take us forward.

The search for a new head coach is underway and we will make a further announcement when that process is complete.

Remarks like that really bug me. Arsenal's problems long pre date Emery's arrival and could be seen coming a mile off.  Years of chronic under achievement and usually doing only just enough to get top four or slightly better have put them in this mess and you dont fix that over night.

Yeah, it was arguably time, but comments like that are closing the barn door after the horse has come home.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54372 on: November 29, 2019, 01:17:52 pm »
Why not Henry or Viera?  ???
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #54373 on: November 29, 2019, 01:24:11 pm »
Goodbye
Unai
You tried

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54374 on: November 29, 2019, 01:29:43 pm »
Bring back Wenger.
Believer

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #54375 on: November 29, 2019, 01:33:28 pm »
I have my doubts as to whether the Arsenal board can get the decision right, so many clubs seem to have little idea of what sort of manager they actually need. One thing is for sure if they get the next appointment wrong, they will be in real trouble.

This all day long. It's not just about getting a new manager at Arsenal - they don't have the management or direction behind the scenes to make the right appointment or even ask the right questions about what they actually need.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #54376 on: November 29, 2019, 01:36:23 pm »
Weren’t they supposedly close to appoint Buvac prior to Emery, just seen he’s 25/1 and I’m tempted by that.

Buvac's was not even getting consideration at jobs like head coach of Mainz, I'd be stunned if he'd be getting a look in at Arsenal. But of course, there's every chance he's not even going for these jobs. 

It was cos of Mislintat being there that link happened in the first place.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54377 on: November 29, 2019, 01:38:44 pm »
Deserved sacking, he was shite.

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #54378 on: November 29, 2019, 01:43:30 pm »
Was it the performance/ result or the empty seats that got him sacked. I think the latter and the lack of Frankfurt fans made it look worse than it did....the 'brand' took a kick there
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #54379 on: November 29, 2019, 01:44:24 pm »
Was it the performance/ result or the empty seats that got him sacked. I think the latter and the lack of Frankfurt fans made it look worse than it did....the 'brand' took a kick there

Both
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54380 on: November 29, 2019, 01:45:47 pm »
Seems like a bold call when they are crying out for somebody who can get some life out of their hopeless defence.
Leicester have the best defensive record in the league right now, and it's being anchored by someone who played six top flight games last season.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #54381 on: November 29, 2019, 01:47:34 pm »

they got out-sang in that game by an away fanbase that wan't even supposed to be there, that takes some doing  :P

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #54382 on: November 29, 2019, 01:48:26 pm »
Both
We have been there. Fans voting with their feet is the most proactive way of getting attention
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #54383 on: November 29, 2019, 01:51:56 pm »
It will be a proud day for Swedish football to see one of our greats take charge at a club like Arsenal - make no mistake about that.

Since Fredrik has never been in charge of a first team before, it's hard to say what he can do, but at least he had a very strong reading of the game as a player for them and the national team all those years. His main strength is that he's humble and doesn't make it all about himself and he's someone who should command more respect in a dressing room than Ole. Let's see what he does. Given there aren't that many names out there that would be interested for certain they might give him a month and see what he can do.

First thing he needs to do is to get the midfield to cover the defence because the content there is quite shocking to be honest. So long as Arsenal are able to keep clean sheets every once in a while they could go on a run. At least to Ljungberg's credit he's worked his way there the long way, rather than merely being mediocre in Cardiff and Molde and getting an interim job because Giggseh couldn't take it to the end of the season.
Linudden.

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #54384 on: November 29, 2019, 02:00:03 pm »
 Linudden......thats Molde talk  ;D

Online surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54385 on: November 29, 2019, 02:09:21 pm »
Ljungberg's worked his way you what now....

A coupla stints at their youth sides,  a period he started as club ambassador (!)  and a german club assistant gig cut short... None of which he would've been in the running for without his pro player past.

I don't rate the balance and rigour in any of the sides the likes of Solskjaer,  Lampard (yes,  even his Chelsea)  put out. Be great having Freddie join the gang and kill off any chance of Arsenal getting in our way in the short term at least.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54386 on: November 29, 2019, 02:19:35 pm »
Yeah, it was arguably time, but comments like that are closing the barn door after the horse has come home.

Closing the barn door after the horse has come home would be a sensible action.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #54387 on: November 29, 2019, 02:37:20 pm »
Ljungberg's worked his way you what now....

A coupla stints at their youth sides,  a period he started as club ambassador (!)  and a german club assistant gig cut short... None of which he would've been in the running for without his pro player past.

I don't rate the balance and rigour in any of the sides the likes of Solskjaer,  Lampard (yes,  even his Chelsea)  put out. Be great having Freddie join the gang and kill off any chance of Arsenal getting in our way in the short term at least.

Good news for Liverpool indeed if there are more inexperienced managers as rivals so that's even better  ;D

That being said, we all knew Ole was a rather incompetent manager based upon previous experience. Fredrik is a wild gamble, but at least he's not a proven flop already which is what I was trying to say. Curious to see what he will do and how long he'll have the gig for. If he's in for the rest of the season alone and doing a top-six job he could definitely use some of this experience to be the leading contender for the Swedish national team if Janne Andersson departs his job for a club gig after the Euros. There are reports that Russian clubs are considering throwing big bucks at Andersson after all and if Ljungberg doesn't get the Arsenal job, he might get the Swedish post.

Gambling on someone who's never had a lead role before might as well end up being a Gary Neville. We'll have to wait and see. If he gets the job permanently he'll probably have some serious downs while learning his trade. In either case, Arsenal's problem is fundamental at a structural level. If they turn a player who dominated Ligue 1 last year into the flop of the decade then something's clearly off. In that sense, it probably can't get any worse and they'll have a sizeable rebuild to do regardless of who takes over.

Our fourth choice CB is better than their first choice and their best CM (Guéndozi) would struggle to make our bench and be in the grandstands for City. That's how far off they are in those absolute key positions for stability and game control. Quite amazing considering where they were just two years ago, basically level with us. That's what having a plan and not having one looks like.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 02:41:57 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #54388 on: November 29, 2019, 02:42:31 pm »
Considering the Kroenkes are building a new NFL stadium in LA and the overruns on it are over $3 billion, I don't fancy their expertise at long-term planning.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54389 on: November 29, 2019, 02:45:09 pm »
But I thought Wenger was the problem?

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54390 on: November 29, 2019, 02:46:05 pm »

Our fourth choice CB is better than their first choice and their best CM (Guéndozi) would struggle to make our bench and be in the grandstands for City. That's how far off they are in those absolute key positions for stability and game control. Quite amazing considering where they were just two years ago, basically level with us. That's what having a plan and not having one looks like.

Could not agree more with the points made in this part, about those 2 vital positions for stability and control, and the contrasting fortunes of both teams over the past 2 years.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #54391 on: November 29, 2019, 02:49:02 pm »
When hiring a Scandinavian ex-player ever worked out badly?

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54392 on: November 29, 2019, 02:59:57 pm »
They should go for Marco Silva but i think he is probably waiting for Bayern/PSG job when his stake is high.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54393 on: November 29, 2019, 03:08:27 pm »
Think when rating their individual players it's important to remember manager affects. Im sure people would have said similair about oxlade chamberlain not being anything special before he came here, or any other number of players we've picked up from midtable/relegation sides.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #54394 on: November 29, 2019, 03:12:38 pm »
They didn’t put tickets on sale to red members or on general sale, which is the groups I imagine make up most of the Uefa Cup crowds, so they can’t’ve been expecting a big crowd last night.  This will be a footballing sacking only.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54395 on: November 29, 2019, 03:13:50 pm »
But I thought Wenger was the problem?

He clearly was part of the problem by the time he left there.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54396 on: November 29, 2019, 03:15:41 pm »
Considering the Kroenkes are building a new NFL stadium in LA and the overruns on it are over $3 billion, I don't fancy their expertise at long-term planning.

Sounds fan-dabi-dozi

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #54397 on: November 29, 2019, 03:44:25 pm »

His oddities, such as...allowing the club’s travel co-ordinator to deliver a cringeworthy team talk before a vital game, eventually grew too much.

WTF?

https://theathletic.com/1419135/2019/11/29/how-unai-emerys-arsenal-reign-imploded-angering-luiz-ozil-and-xhaka-delaying-europa-league-final-plans-and-organising-a-shambolic-team-talk/
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #54398 on: November 29, 2019, 03:45:53 pm »
Signing Luiz to play in a back four was suicide, especially in a team that has to play end-to-end to get the best out of their attackers.

From all the reports coming out today:

“In the same week, Luiz fell out of with one of Emery’s coaching staff in front of the whole group, apparently feeling demeaned that the coach was treating him like a child by trying to teach him how to defend”

How funny is that?
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Online Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54399 on: November 29, 2019, 03:49:45 pm »
Rodgers would be perfect for Arsenal but they won't see that.