Author Topic: A Cult Hero Tribute  (Read 12508 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: A Cult Hero Tribute
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2006, 02:53:28 pm »
I went mad when he scored that last minute winner against Chelsea at home. Unbelievable moment. I thought we were destined to win the title. Pity.

Offline Bazmeen

• Anny Roader
  • Let me tell you the story of a poor boy
    • Dollymount FC - Official Site
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2006, 02:54:56 pm »
Yeah and what a cracker too - I also thought it would be his rebirth, never to be.
Fuck the Meek.................The Meek aint gonna inherit shit !

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2006, 04:28:21 pm »
How could you miss Salif "The Sheriff" Diao off the list?
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2006, 04:28:52 pm »
How could you miss Salif "The Sheriff" Diao off the list?

He wsa just shite.  No cult and definitely no hero.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2006, 04:35:46 pm »
He wsa just shite.  No cult and definitely no hero.
But he isn't just shite, he's spectacularly shite.  That's a plus in my book.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline StevieG26

• Would like to be the first of offer his criticisms.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2006, 04:37:47 pm »
But it was the 1984 European Cup final which brought Grobbelaar's best moment. It was a game that Grobbelaar just seemed to be in a funny mood in from start to finish. He was on lead vocals as he and fellow Liverpool players sang Chris Rea's I don't know what it is in the tunnel before kick-off. (Cue puzzled looks from AS Roma players.)

Lol is that true mate?

Great article btw.
"Football is not a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more important than that."

Bill Shankly.

Offline redmen9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2006, 04:38:02 pm »
I rarely laugh out loud at people's posts but I have tears running down my face reading through your Igor Biscan summary, class!

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2006, 04:40:47 pm »
Lol is that true mate?

Great article btw.
Tha is true - featured in the "Champions of Europe" official video.  Neal and Kennedy remembering it fondly.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2006, 04:42:00 pm »

Offline StevieG26

• Would like to be the first of offer his criticisms.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2006, 04:42:05 pm »
Tha is true - featured in the "Champions of Europe" official video.  Neal and Kennedy remembering it fondly.

'Kin hell man! What a way to get ready for a European Cup final.
"Football is not a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more important than that."

Bill Shankly.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2006, 04:51:22 pm »
 I don't really wish to add anything,  just to say wonderful piece Garsonite.  I particularly enjoyed the piece about Aldo.  Great stuff!

Offline paddy-d

• Main Stander
  • "Ow d'you do mayte!"
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2006, 05:46:25 pm »
But it was the 1984 European Cup final which brought Grobbelaar's best moment. It was a game that Grobbelaar just seemed to be in a funny mood in from start to finish. He was on lead vocals as he and fellow Liverpool players sang Chris Rea's I don't know what it is in the tunnel before kick-off. (Cue puzzled looks from AS Roma players.)

We downloaded that song  to put in the car going to the final in May and it became our anthem for that weekend! Its a bit of a cheesy song  like but when you put into context of what its famous for you can't help but sing along to it with a smile on your face!
#An i dunno know what it is but i love it! I dunno what it is but i want it to stay!#
"Ive been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, I've been over the edge for yonks..."

Offline JackoRed7

• Main Stander
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2006, 06:10:11 pm »
I feel Craig Johnston was a likely candidate, not quite right in the head but he used to run around like Forrest Gump with an afro. 100% trier.
“I would like to live in Manchester, England. The transition between Manchester and death would be unnoticeable.”  - Mark Twain

Offline octohands

• Kemlynite
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2006, 05:15:13 pm »
I smile at the thought of Igor's antics. I wish he was a better football and was kept on.
The big stupid dope, love the fella.
I have more hands than feet

Offline Lordmeow the Red

• Main Stander
  • Half-Men, Half Biscats support Rafa!!
    • Texas Boot Room Podcast!
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2006, 06:00:08 pm »
I miss Igor. Half man half Biscan.

did some one ring?   

nice one garstonite

Offline Red_in_Holland

• arl arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack is the best defense.. btw we have both
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2006, 04:44:17 am »
Igor was actually much sort after.. and we were thought to have got a good bargain on him.

I wonder how that sort of bloke, would have done under Rafa..

I loved Igor.. gotta lot of potential.   

RiH
Los Rojos Conquistadores
"It's good to have a challenge in training. If you play against one of the best strikers in the Premier League almost everyday, that can only help you when the game comes around each weekend."

Asked if he had worked out how to stop Torres, Hyypia added: "I'm working on it, I'm working on it.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2006, 05:01:44 pm »
Our current squad are too good for anyone to be a cult here. Rafa needs to sign some duffers  ;D
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Boston-Sox

• He's a Yankee Doodle Dandy...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2006, 11:11:21 am »
Markus Babbel and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge  also Stan Collymore could also be included :D

Offline Dick Winters

• Kopite
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2006, 03:48:52 pm »
Crouch is currently the sole candidate, unless one of the new buggers displays idiotically endearing characteristics a la Igor et al.  Most of them are too pretty or too hard though. Kuyt has some promise though.

I agree; I am trying to think of someone in the current crop that would count and I am struggling - with Crouch being the only possibility - as he does look like one.  However, the media has now adopted him and a regular starter for his country are not good qualifications for Kop Cult hero.

I also think that Kuyt has potential - revered by the Feyenoord fans with a god like frenzy (which I think will follow him here); works his absolute bollocks off; wore a Don Johnson jacket to his medical and fires his teammates up in dressing room before games.  However, again though I think he may be just too good to qualify (I am hoping he will be too good to qualify!!!)

This is a top thread by the way Garstonite - the Igor bit in particular was excellent!

Offline alana

• Loveable Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I hope some day you will join us......
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2006, 04:25:43 am »
Wow I love this thread..............Deffo Mad Eric just for the UEFA CUP final situation, and EEEEEEEEEEEEEEGGOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! ......2-0 down 4-2 up igor biscan wrapped it up........!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to admit part from God the shit with the doCKers and snortin the line, Carra was one of my cult heroes I remember when he was LB and always used to pass back to the keeper it was caled Carraghitus. Fair play to him cos I reckon he has hit legend status.

An Aldo makes it just for the commentary on the CL final - Wot a guy! ( Oh an he won Irelands version of celeb X-Factor!

Oh an I would never knock our captain although one of the reasons he would never be a cult hero wit hme is cos of all the s**** soz that is stuff that went on with chelsea.............. Oh an owen would never make my list either cos he couldnt be bothered to stick around an see what might happen at Liverpool.

I think crouchie will be one for the futurel

My cult heroes are  those who would do anything for Liverpool those who stand out in my mind for doing something that helps Liverpool to do the best.

As much as Carra is a hero he is my cult hero. ONE NIGHT IN MAY on Sky always reminds me of that!!! Specially that bit where he was tellin dudek to do wobbly legs!!!!!!!

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2006, 03:12:09 pm »
An Aldo makes it just for the commentary on the CL final - Wot a guy! ( Oh an he won Irelands version of celeb X-Factor!

And while on it performed "ring of fire", fields of athenry and Rockin all over the World(all he was missing was ynwa and scouser tommy ;D)

I miss Igor so much

If Pepe wasnt so damn good he'd have had a shout I think, but the closest we have definitely has to be Crouchinho ;D
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Red Chemic

• Main Stander
  • Hoping the good times are rolling back.
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2006, 08:42:04 pm »
Markus Babbel and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge  also Stan Collymore could also be included :D

Riedle?

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2006, 11:21:19 pm »
Mr Garcia is heading towards cult hero status. He has spent the last couple of seasons turning opinions around slowly with sensational goals against the biggest teams, last minute winners,  and safe cracker esque assists in the biggest of games. The fact he'll continue to try anything and anything even when the purple faced moaning bastards are berating his every touch seals it for me. I use him as a shitetalker-o-meter with reds I meet - those that hate him ping towards the 'haven't got a fucking clue about football' pin and the conversation is adjusted accordingly.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2006, 11:12:03 am »
I miss my Igor :(

Offline Holmes

• on day release from RAOTL
  • Main Stander
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2006, 12:33:58 pm »
Good post, agree with people not knowing what cult hero status really means...

His Anfield career had been revived. The man who bore uncanny resemblence to Beaker from the Muppets, was showing that he was a rather good footballer after all. In the game against Fulham at Craven Cottage, Igor arrived on to the field to see the game out, as Liverpool were against the ropes with only 10 men. As he ran on from the touchline, looking as though he wished Benitez hadn't woken him up, he and Stephen Warnock played a couple of one-two's and Biscan unleashed an unbelievable strike into the top right hand corner of the goal. He turned away as players jumped on his back. It looked as though he needed confirmation that this wasn't one of his many day-dreams.

;D

Offline Boston-Sox

• He's a Yankee Doodle Dandy...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2006, 12:11:57 pm »
Bruce Grobbelaar was one of my heros :)

Offline NasEscobar

• Shirt fetishist
  • Legacy Fan
  • See you at the Barricades babe.
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2006, 09:08:36 pm »
Kuyt certainly has potential. After all Aldo wasn't a bad footballer at all

Momo, Crouchy, Riise (communication with fans, chant sing alongs) and Garcia as well
Check me out y'all, Nasty Nas in your area, About to cause mass Hysteria.

Offline Big Joe

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2006, 10:07:09 pm »
Mr Garsonite - I salute you...

I'd add Robbie & Gary Mac to the list. Rob Jones too if he had everr hit hte net.

Titi, Stig, Djimi were good for a laugh & a song (almost forgot Rigo) - but should never go down as cult heroes.

Of the current squad, Momo