Author Topic: Liverpool 1-0 Marseille - [Post Match Talk]  (Read 33233 times)

Offline red_dub

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 1-0 Marseille - [Post Match Talk]
« Reply #440 on: November 27, 2008, 02:24:24 pm »
just home from match, good win but not great performance,
kuyt looked tired and masch didn't seem himself. defended well though. we've 4 and half days to get ready for west ham and work on our performance.

come on reds!!! :scarf

p.s dossena done ok  :o
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

Bill Shankly

Offline love:the:game

• Yes mate...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • If found please return to nearest Blackjack Table
« Reply #441 on: November 27, 2008, 02:29:30 pm »
...just home from match

Where the fuck do you live?!
I think we'd have won the league if we'd sold Keane to Man United.

Offline Mrfabulous

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: November 27, 2008, 02:33:50 pm »
shit performance and a win, so can't complain too much. thought masch and alonso had their worst games of the season but so did a few others.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #443 on: November 27, 2008, 02:34:13 pm »
Game was poor last night. No other way to dress it up than that. At least we are through to the last 16, something we'd have been delirious with 4-5 years ago!

As a whole I think we need to up the pace of our game. We are allowing teams who come content to put 10 or 11 men behind the ball too much time to settle. In a way I think this needs to come from Alonso and Masch in particular (or whoever is playing CM). The defenders could also play a role since we tend to be happy to build up play very slowly.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #444 on: November 27, 2008, 02:37:31 pm »
Great cross from Alonso and a decent header from Gerrard to give us the win. We're through and that's all that matters.

Offline Oh Yes BisCAN

• Kopite
  • Where Kenny played...
« Reply #445 on: November 27, 2008, 02:42:03 pm »
I really hope we pick up our game for West Ham, its worrying me know how wrecked and sloppy our players are looking!!! :(
Both teams were sloppy. Thought it was a competition for who could be the more mediocre at passing a football?

If one team had managed to get a 'serious' grip on the game it might have forced the other to "up their game!"...didn't happen

Masch had his worst game since he's been here and gets slatted, but that's what you get for having shockingly high standards to follow!  :-\
"Has everybody heard... the bird is the word?" @rabbitrabbiton

Offline Oh Yes BisCAN

• Kopite
  • Where Kenny played...
« Reply #446 on: November 27, 2008, 02:44:56 pm »
Game was poor last night. No other way to dress it up than that. At least we are through to the last 16, something we'd have been delirious with 4-5 years ago!

We're not living in the past anymore though mate! Some of that last night was shocking!! Dossena??  ???
"Has everybody heard... the bird is the word?" @rabbitrabbiton

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #447 on: November 27, 2008, 03:49:49 pm »
[
We're not living in the past anymore though mate! Some of that last night was shocking!! Dossena??  ???

Really wasn't trying to justify last night's performance. Just trying to take the odd positive out of the night's preceedings!

Do think we have made enough progress that we now expect last 16 CL football after Xmas, whereas 4-5 years ago it was seen as a bonus.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Tomo-the-red

• Main Stander
« Reply #448 on: November 27, 2008, 04:00:34 pm »
Job done but it does concern me that we aren't making the shift from controlling games, to dominating games, i think we need to put these types of 1-0 games to bed earlier, as we saw in the end we was riding our luck.
Bill Shankly about the This-is-Anfield plaque:
'This is to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against.'

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: November 27, 2008, 04:05:22 pm »
UEFA decides Friday in Marseille missile cases
The Associated Press
Published: November 27, 2008

NYON, Switzerland: UEFA will decide Friday whether to act against Marseille after an object was thrown at Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard during a Champions League game.

The French club is also set to find out Friday if football's European governing body has punished it for alleged crowd trouble when the two clubs met in Marseille in September.

Marseille was charged with failing to control spectators after missiles were thrown from the stands in the Sept. 16 match at the Velodrome, which Liverpool won 2-1.

During Wednesday's game at Anfield, Gerrard was struck by what appeared to be a cigarette lighter thrown from a section of Marseille supporters.

He had earlier scored the only goal of the match to send Liverpool through to the knockout phase of the Champions League and kick the French team out of the competition.

If UEFA decides it has enough evidence to open an investigation, the case will be referred to its control and disciplinary body.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/11/27/sports/SOC-Marseille-Object-Thrown.php
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline RAFA - 6 - 19

• Fighteningly inept.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: November 27, 2008, 04:12:24 pm »
quite strange how we have barely been able to keep the ball in the last couple of games, whats with this long ball rubbish too?

i know we will have slumps so am not too worried just looking forward to our run of form

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #451 on: November 27, 2008, 04:20:43 pm »
quite strange how we have barely been able to keep the ball in the last couple of games, whats with this long ball rubbish too?

i know we will have slumps so am not too worried just looking forward to our run of form

Fucking with the ball far too much from the back. Quick movement is needed.

Take the bull by the horns, Danny. Carragher; just do your denfending. You're the best in the World at it. Leave the possession game to Mr. Agger, please.

Offline Seantheprawn

• Anny Roader
« Reply #452 on: November 27, 2008, 04:34:12 pm »
Am I the only one in thinking the Moster Masch had a stinker?
WHEN BUSH WAS TALKING ABOUT  "THE EVIL DO-ERS OF THIS WORLD" HE WAS TALKING ABOUT OUR PREVIOUS SHITE-ARSED CUSTODIANS!!
THE SO-CALLED "AXIS OF EVIL" IS FOUND ACROSS THE FURROWED BROW ON HICKS' FAT HEAD.

Twitter: @seanmck75

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: November 27, 2008, 04:35:06 pm »
Even a poor Liverpool was suffisant to win this evening ...
Marseille put me  to shame, one more time.

Just hope this victory will drive Liverpool to the first place ...
Good lad. Hope you qualify & do well in the UEFA cup mate.
Qualifying now is a superb position for us to be in just in case we have to rest or have injuries for the PSV game. Our all round performances will have improved hopefuly by the next round.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #454 on: November 27, 2008, 04:48:26 pm »
Am I the only one in thinking the Moster Masch had a stinker?

No, mate. Many will agree with you. However, I thought he wasn't as bad as people made out. He covered a shit load of ground and won the ball back on numerous occasions. Thought he has been a little subdued over the last 5 weeks, but last night he seemed to be close to the Mash of old.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: November 27, 2008, 05:12:28 pm »
Fortunately we've got 5 games between games now - must be the longest stretch we've had this year!

Offline AndoNagasaki

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • the devil makes good use for these hands of mine
« Reply #456 on: November 27, 2008, 05:14:22 pm »
The French club is also set to find out Friday if football's European governing body has punished it for alleged crowd trouble when the two clubs met in Marseille in September.

Marseille was charged with failing to control spectators after missiles were thrown from the stands in the Sept. 16 match at the Velodrome, which Liverpool won 2-1.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/11/27/sports/SOC-Marseille-Object-Thrown.php

Don't remember that...
the trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side

Offline IOMRed

• Kopite
  • We all dream of a team of Carraghers
« Reply #457 on: November 27, 2008, 05:25:07 pm »
thought it was a bit snidey our stewards wouldn't let the Marseille lads throw their shirts to their fans at the end of the game, I could be wrong but from where I was sat it looked they were trying to throw them in and not succeeding. Bit petty really.
Fernando Torres, Liverpool's no. 9. His armband proved he was a red, Torres, Torres, you'll never walk alone it said, Torres, Torres, we bought the lad from sunny Spain, he gets the ball and scores again, Fernando Torres, Liverpool's no. 9.

Offline jamiehill

• Kopite
  • MacIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt
« Reply #458 on: November 27, 2008, 06:01:26 pm »
What the hell is this about on the Mirror website.

For all the Stattos out ther e, this was no doubt a fascinating contest. For those less socially challenged it was a game to instantly Robbie Keane, Fernand to the bench, might the end, but the starting XI another ht is probably the one worry considers his strongest At leawith the possible significan of Martin Skrtel for manage.
Bill Shanool seem more fluid Europeare comfortable with managermation. on the grws Dirk Kuyt the free in Europ join the attack more But even which explains his disappoly goal tally this display as of history old have added to that from Pepe found himself eight searing it but his header from of the ites cross was well Taiwo and Arfa - denied Riera also came close and allng when his right foot shot from the edge of the penalty area was clawed around the post by Steve Mandanda.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/11/27/liverpool-1-0-marseille-steven-gerrard-the-hero-again-115875-20928444/
The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all. They showed their unconditional support at half-time when they were losing 3-0 and still they didn't stop singing." Diego Maradona

Offline se9R.F.L

• Legacy Fan
  • i fight the empire, i fix the robots.
    • imdb
« Reply #459 on: November 27, 2008, 07:31:35 pm »
What the hell is this about on the Mirror website.

For all the Stattos out ther e, this was no doubt a fascinating contest. For those less socially challenged it was a game to instantly Robbie Keane, Fernand to the bench, might the end, but the starting XI another ht is probably the one worry considers his strongest At leawith the possible significan of Martin Skrtel for manage.
Bill Shanool seem more fluid Europeare comfortable with managermation. on the grws Dirk Kuyt the free in Europ join the attack more But even which explains his disappoly goal tally this display as of history old have added to that from Pepe found himself eight searing it but his header from of the ites cross was well Taiwo and Arfa - denied Riera also came close and allng when his right foot shot from the edge of the penalty area was clawed around the post by Steve Mandanda.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/11/27/liverpool-1-0-marseille-steven-gerrard-the-hero-again-115875-20928444/
The mirror websites been hacked by extremists from the National Dyslexic Association, or the DNA for short

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #460 on: November 28, 2008, 08:00:34 am »
Sabu Pundit' been scouted by The Mirror ;D

Offline redannie

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #461 on: November 28, 2008, 08:40:53 am »
thought it was a bit snidey our stewards wouldn't let the Marseille lads throw their shirts to their fans at the end of the game, I could be wrong but from where I was sat it looked they were trying to throw them in and not succeeding. Bit petty really.

I wonder if it is a UEFA thing? I watched Pompey v A C Milan last night and noticed Inghaze seemed to ask permission from a steward before throwing his shirt to the crowd

Offline SOUPY

• Main Stander
« Reply #462 on: November 28, 2008, 02:55:33 pm »
Woohoo, clinched CL place  :scarf :scarf :scarf

Torres/Gerrard link up - looks like thier "kicking" off the rust  :P

Pepe is as sharp as ever  ;D

Dossena did well - ish  ;D

Lucas looked better  ;D
UR HAVING A LAUGH.Dossena was and is shite.

Offline RAFA - 6 - 19

• Fighteningly inept.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: November 28, 2008, 04:08:47 pm »
yeah i hope he fails and we dont win number 19

Offline RB7787

• Anny Roader
    • Shankly Gates
« Reply #464 on: November 28, 2008, 05:53:05 pm »
As much as people knock them, myself included, some credit has to be given to Platini and co.

Fair Play to UEFA

UEFA have come in for sizeable criticism amongst Liverpool fans in the past few years. Firstly there was the Athens debacle in which supporters of the Anfield club were branded 'the worst fans in Europe' - a statement which was later revoked by the federation's president Michel Platini.

The scandalous handling of the club's Champions League tie with Atletico Madrid followed suit with the Spanish side told to play their tie against the Reds a few hundred kilometers from their home after being found guilty of racist chanting to Marseille player and supporters at the Vicente Calderon.

However, despite their previous failings, European football's governing body should be commended for their handling of the incident which saw Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard pelted with missiles as he took a corner in the first half.

UEFA are investigating the incident and have praised Gerrard for his restraint as missiles were fired from the visitors' section at him.

This appears to be due to a possible change in attitudes at their Swiss headquarters where it was previously thought that all English clubs were the scorn of European football given the examples set in Athens last year and Moscow this May.

Perhaps UEFA have realised that Marseille fans were quite self-righteous to be bleating about racist chanting by Atleti supporters when they themselves are not holier than thou.

Maybe the alleged monkey chanting was more a reference to the behaviour of Marseille's support rather than it was to ethnicity.

The general perception of Marseille fans from Liverpool supporters who visited the Stade Velodrome as well as that of neutral visitors to the French port is that the club's support is highly-strung and hooligan-like.

As much as Platini is despised amongst Liverpool's support following the cock-ups that have occurred during his time as president of UEFA, credit should be given to him and his federation for taking the initiative to clamp down on anti-social behaviour in the game.

Throwing coins is an act that cannot be defended in any way, shape or form. Similarly with the players who retalliate by throwing coins back into the ground, as Didier Drogba did to Burnley supporters recently, are not exempt from scrutiny.

There can be a certain degree of sympathy with the players who do react to having objects fired at them however, despite n the hostile atmospheres that players find themselves in, they are role models who have to maintain a certain degree of professionalism in their job.

Whilst UEFA have credited Gerrard for his composure in what was an uncomfortable situation for the Liverpool captain, UEFA themselves should be credited for enforcing their Fair Play scheme by clamping down on such idiotic behaviour despite their previous mistakes.

Offline Riedles Reds

• Kopite
« Reply #465 on: November 28, 2008, 06:51:23 pm »
Thought we were quite poor really. We didn't retain the ball well and didn't put Marseille under much pressure when they had it, they just passed it around us. Mascherano had a stinker or a game but every player has one now and again. Thought Pepe Reina was the man of the match, think he's been out best player this season. Kept Marseille out on Wednesday AND when we played them away, he has been brilliant!  :) At least we're in the last 16 of the CL and joint top of the PL. Pity about Torres and especially Aurelio, just when he has beginning to show some real form he gets injured again. Good to see Dossena getting stuck in, even if some of his defending was a ... little dodgy  :P Still brilliant block to keep Marseille out in the 2nd half!

Offline redannie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: November 28, 2008, 06:53:04 pm »
What happened in Moscow to reinforce the poor opinion of english fans?

Offline RB7787

• Anny Roader
    • Shankly Gates
« Reply #467 on: November 28, 2008, 07:31:52 pm »
What happened in Moscow to reinforce the poor opinion of english fans?

It was more a reference to their apprehension and reservations to two English sides being in the final.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 07:53:05 pm by The View From Flagpole Co »