Author Topic: **SPOILERS** Star Wars: The Force Awakens **SPOILERS** Now with genuine spoilers  (Read 103022 times)

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
:lmao

Haha I got that too and was like what have I done!
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Even the final shot was a little abrupt for me, I would have preferred it if either he'd turned around and said Rey, or she'd said something like "Am I your daughter?", then let the credits roll, something instead of the weird sweeping shot where she's just standing there holding out his light-saber. Even having him force pull his light-saber and turning it on would have been cool.

God no, that would have spoiled it for me. The subtlety of that galaxy-weary look from Luke was enough and the perfect place to leave it.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
I took the final scene as another parallel of ANH. The only voice you hear is Chewies, Artoo does that shaking thing. Other than that it's all about the visuals and music.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I am just going to espouse a little bit of love for BB8.  I went in to this film worried that this new droid would grate on me, but to my surprise it worked so well! The thumbs up scene was genuinely funny too.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
Thoughts on the film:

1)  Good:  Established the First Order as badass.  Sure, the Stormtroopers die in piles, but they can overrun and slaughter civilians really well (desert resistance camp, scavenger camp, Maz bar).  Those were effective echoes of them storming Leia's transport at the start of ANH.  Nasty Starkiller base and all those Star Destroyers are always impressive. 
2)  Good:  Kylo Ren.  The actor physically doesn't look like either Han Solo or Leia (huge nose!), but he was conflicted without being whiny or hammy.  The character himself, isn't invincible and has room to grow into a demon.  Killing your father/father-figure seems to be a Sith rite of passage. 
3)  Good:  Rey.  Killed it as a young Force-talented person.  Like child Anakin, but without the annoying "Yipee!"  A little bland to be the sole focal point for the next 2 movies, but we'll see.  Her running away through the forest after the bar scene dragged though.
4)  Good:  Visual Direction gave me chills:  X-Wings approaching over the lake, Starkiller beams crossing the sky and killing the planets.  Big environments when Rey is climbing around the Starkiller.  Sun getting dimmer as its' being drained.
5)  Good:  Finn/Poe's escape from the hangar. 
6)  Good:  Female Stormtrooper voices.

1)  Bad:  The Maz bar scene is a bad imitation of the Tatooine bar scene.  Where's the smoky atmosphere?  What is the lightsaber doing there?  Maz was a little too convenient.  What kind of ego maniac places a statue of herself on the bar/castle?  A whole bunch of conflicting messages and problems bugged me through that sequence.
2)  Bad:  Finn.  Other being in the right place and time to help rescue Poe, and knowing exactly how to destroy the Starkiller base, he's kind of useless with no killer base to be familiar with in the next movie. 
3)  Bad:  R2D2.  Wakes up for no apparent reason other than being just in time to move the plot along.  I think BB8 could have been dropped and its role filled by R2D2, if not for the merchandising.
4)  Bad:  C3PO.  Felt like the JarJar of this film with no R2D2 to play off against.
5)  Bad:  Poe's flight through the gap into the oscillator to destroy the rest of the columns was just not believable.
6)  Bad:  Hero role was split up into too many parts that didn't spend enough time interacting with each other:  Rey, Poe, Finn, BB8
7)  Bad:  Poe.  Out of thin air, he's the "best pilot in the Resistance" no story or anything, making impossible shots like some Jedi Force person, but without the journey.  We're given no reason to root for him, as if the writers just expected us to just because he's one of the good guys. 
8 )  Bad:  Han Solo taking Chewie's crossbow multiple times and saying he liked it as if he hasn't been running around with the overgrown shag rug and had multiple opportunities to try shooting it for the last 40 years. 
9)  Bad:  Solo being in the right place with the huge freighter to tractor in the Falcon. 
10)  Bad:  Lack of emotional reaction by Leia, Chewie, and Rey to Solo's death.
11)  Bad:  Capt. Phasma.  Squeaky voice comically mismatched to hulking figure.  Looks badass, but useless in the same way I felt about Boba Fett after the OT.

The movie as a whole felt like a transition, like ESB which Kasdan also co-wrote, so no surprise there.  But in this case, I hope we get a better Episode 8 than RoTJ.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 06:03:19 pm by zabadoh »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
I can imagine Gwendoline Christie sitting at the premier thinking "what a fucking stitch up this is.."

I imagine a LOT of her scenes were cut.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Quick side note RE R2 waking up at that moment.

Saw an interview with JJ Abrams where he stated that R2 woke up because when BB8 knocked into him and started 'talking' to him, he apparently asked about the rest of the map that BB8 had, causing R2 to finally snap out of the low power mode and help, just wasn't explained well in the movie and personally, i think it's a bit of a cop out excuse.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Its churning in the money that is for sure ...not bad for a remake of Star Wars The New Hope. I was wondering how will they fill the shoes of Han Solo in the next installment but then I said they kept Luke for the end of this one so he can slide right in and keep the ball rolling. Honestly you could kill off any of the new characters and I would not give a rats ...in fact they should just start doing a Game of Thrones on it as surely Lukes days are numbered when the trilogy is complete as they will hand the baton off to wha'ts her name...oh Rey. Anyway to make it a wee bit more realistic as they detonated the Death Star for the umpteenth time, please oh please end Carrie Fishers wooden acting in the early scenes of the next movie.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Quick side note RE R2 waking up at that moment.

Saw an interview with JJ Abrams where he stated that R2 woke up because when BB8 knocked into him and started 'talking' to him, he apparently asked about the rest of the map that BB8 had, causing R2 to finally snap out of the low power mode and help, just wasn't explained well in the movie and personally, i think it's a bit of a cop out excuse.
If that's what jj said, then so be it. It must be the right answer.

I previously heard that luke woke r2d2 up when he realised that his time in isolation is coming to an end, due to han solo being killed and kylo/snoke becoming a threat.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
I originally had the idea that Luke had programmed R2 to wake up and complete the plans when Luke was needed. But maybe not if JJ says otherwise...
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
If that's what jj said, then so be it. It must be the right answer.

I previously heard that luke woke r2d2 up when he realised that his time in isolation is coming to an end, due to han solo being killed and kylo/snoke becoming a threat.

I thought R2 woke when when the presence of a Skywalker (Rey) was near... but I suppose we'll have to go with JJ.

Some more info on the background info for events in the film - and differences from the film and book (hadn't realised it was Alan Dean Foster who did the book):-

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2015/12/spoilers-want-a-few-more-hints-about-the-force-awakens-take-a-look-at-the-novelization.html
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
Star Wars Episode VIII: The New Order Strikes Back

Am I right?

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off

Am I right?

First Order mate. They're not a manchester synth group.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man

Am I right?

I think Peter Hooks'  lawyers might have something to say about that.....

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97

Am I right?

Yes, followed by Star Wars Episode IX: The Revenge of the Smiths

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead

and then Starwars Episode X: The Fonz awakens

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke

;D
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It was the movie equivalent of listening to your favourite bands greatest hits album with a few added new tracks (which hit the mark).

Thought the casting for new characters was fantastic, as were the effects and the locations chosen. Loved it!
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
It was the movie equivalent of listening to your favourite bands greatest hits album with a few added new tracks (which hit the mark).

Thought the casting for new characters was fantastic, as were the effects and the locations chosen. Loved it!

For me it was like going to see Oasis while being a massive Beatles fan. Better than the 'prequels' which ultimately feel like watching a Monkeys tribute band. On acid.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I had a discussion in work with a guy who didn't like it. He couldn't articulate what was wrong but he felt something was missing. He admitted that if it didn't have the Star Wars name attached, he would have loved it.

The script writers didn't feel confident enough to deviate too much from the structure of the original films after the farce of the prequels. Which is fair enough, with the immense pressure on them.

I can see the arguments but I was mostly like fucking hell there's the Millenium Falcon in 3D! And Storm Troopers! I'm 10 again :D
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
Star Wars is Homeric its like Homer --- Greek mythology full of adventures that feature coincidences, with a fairy tale vibe, an epic narrative spanning generations, full of monsters, darkness, light and tragedy, with improbable events that appeal to the imagination and touch on themes that are very broad and eternal and escapist

So yeah, what are the chances of R2-D2 and C3PO landing on Tatooine and just happening to be picked up by Luke Skywalker who is the brother of Princess Leia who sent them, the chances of just happening to land in his vicinity on Tatooine a whole entire massive desert planet, and then him just happening to come across them at a junk droid sale.................its fucking improbably as fuck...........but guess what......IT WORKS......we believe it..........because in this imaginative space we are taken along with the atmosphere, the vibe, the universe and the 'fairy tale' like epic mythological dimension it creates....and that is the genius of the first movies.....bottom line is you can get away with any coincidence if you make art beautifully and that is why it is audacious too.........and it works, the 'world' of the film takes on its own logic and believability, but it also sets up its own rules, and grounds this epic fairy tale thing in something that feels human and proportionate and believable.....

The bits that didn't work for me so well in Force Awakens are when we get taken out of that a little bit and the issue of Rey and her slight Mary Sue qualities are not about improbability of story..............what are the chances of the original spaceship she runs to getting blown up and then her running to the Millenium Falcon, and before that Finn landing so close to this girl so closely connected to the Jedis and the whole war between the First Order and Vader's daughter and son on the resistance, and then just happening to bump into Han Solo and Chewie who has been looking for his ship for years...........man alive...........the chances of that happening are trillions to one but guess what? WE BELIEVE IT because of the successful mythological Homeric epic fairy tale vibe of the movie and 'tradition' of Star Wars..........I didn't care about any of that.........I surrendered to it because it works for the narrative which is like Homer and epic and mythological.....................but in that context Rey's excellence in so many fields just felt slightly intuitively rushed compared to the journey of doubt, vulnerability that was on display in the original trilogy where it takes Luke for example three movies to achieve the supremacy over Vader and overcome so much internal fear and weakness etc etc

So the greatness of Star Wars is the marrying of these epic Homeric Greek epic mythological evoking narratives of fantasy, escape, excitement, spectacle, fantasy with these very believeable themes of individual inner lives on that canvas, especially in the characters of Luke, Han Solo (watch A New Hope again he is an amazing character a cynical maverick selfish cut throat thieving smuggling hustler bastard) and Anakin / Darth Vader to say nothing about Leia (who is a sassy take no prisoners strong woman)............now I just felt that Rey and Finn didn't resonate so well it seems that Rey got developed too fast and other things make me critical but guess what.........

They don't stop me from enjoying this movie, I loved it, I enjoyed it, I'm going to watch it multiple times at the cinema over the next few weeks and I have a feeling Rian Johnson is going to totally hit the next one for six. I think this is on the same level as Return of the Jedi, and I hope that the next two will hit the beyond-masterpiece mythological amazingness of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.

The ingredients are there. Star Wars is amazing, beautiful and even when imperfect it just transports your imagination and sets it on fire. So I love watching it and listening to people talk about it because its the best thing that movies can do --- take you out of the miserable and mundane world and TELL A STORY we can all share in
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:03:02 am by Stussy »
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
Convinced Rey is Obi-Wan's granddaughter. Everything hints at it. Too many parallels. Same accents, both isolated on desert planets. Rey is a natural with the mind trick, a total Obi-Wan trademark. Other characters such as Anakin and Qui-Gon have struggled with the mind trick so don't think it's as easy as just feeling the force. She is kind but also has a sharp wit. Then there's the more obvious parallels like how she is sneaking around the base in Force Awakens just like Obi-Wan was sneaking around on the Death Star. Her handing Luke his lightsaber just like Obi-Wan handed him the lightsaber all those years ago. In the flashback scene she screams "come back" and then the next voice you hear is Obi-Wan calling her name.

Then you just have the whole set up of Kenobi v Skywalker again. Perhaps Rey brings Kylo back to the light whereas Obi-Wan failed with Anakin. She's definitely not Luke or Leia's that's for sure and don't think she's of random birth otherwise they would have given us her last name cause why would it matter.

Hope it's true and we end up getting an Obi-Wan standalone movie to help explain what happened :)

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
Convinced Rey is Obi-Wan's granddaughter. Everything hints at it. Too many parallels. Same accents, both isolated on desert planets. Rey is a natural with the mind trick, a total Obi-Wan trademark. Other characters such as Anakin and Qui-Gon have struggled with the mind trick so don't think it's as easy as just feeling the force. She is kind but also has a sharp wit. Then there's the more obvious parallels like how she is sneaking around the base in Force Awakens just like Obi-Wan was sneaking around on the Death Star. Her handing Luke his lightsaber just like Obi-Wan handed him the lightsaber all those years ago. In the flashback scene she screams "come back" and then the next voice you hear is Obi-Wan calling her name.

Then you just have the whole set up of Kenobi v Skywalker again. Perhaps Rey brings Kylo back to the light whereas Obi-Wan failed with Anakin. She's definitely not Luke or Leia's that's for sure and don't think she's of random birth otherwise they would have given us her last name cause why would it matter.

Hope it's true and we end up getting an Obi-Wan standalone movie to help explain what happened :)

that's tantalising and would be great
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Just saw it. Enjoyed it.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha

Hey, that could be crazy enough to work! In the Clone Wars cartoon, I'm sure there is the suggestion that Obi Wan is or was romantically involved with someone. Not Yoda, definitely a girl.
We are Liverpool!

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
Loved the movie. Genuine amazing perfomance by the young leads, Han Solo is great. A bit predictable at times, what with the nods to Episode IV, but what the hell.

I think it's worth remembering just how bad some of the prequels were, in order to be even happier that this movie is what it is!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ICSNhMSaVgk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ICSNhMSaVgk</a>

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
Saw it yesterday in 3d. Great visual effects.
I am not a Star Wars addict, I wasn't keen on the Anakin/Jar Jar characters which spoilt 3 of the movies, saved slightly by the Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson and Sam L Jackson performances.

I liked it as an action Sci Fi film. My favourites were the non-people , the new droid was cool and the Millenium Falcon looked fantastic.
The action sequences were good. I wasn't overall enthralled by any of the performances, there wasn't anything that really stood out.

I have to confess I didn't get much emotion from the old characters back again, I thought Carrie Fisher looked like she didn't want to be there. It was just a cold performance.
The problem is she and others are so old now, it's hard not to just think "blimey is that Carrie Fisher"? rather than "yeah Leah is back".

The "where is Luke" thing dragged on too much for me, and then at the end they found him and the film ended. Obviously there will be more to come.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 04:28:41 am by Frank Becton »
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
Hey, that could be crazy enough to work! In the Clone Wars cartoon, I'm sure there is the suggestion that Obi Wan is or was romantically involved with someone. Not Yoda, definitely a girl.
Yep. Satine. In the show he says he would have left the Jedi Order if she had said the word. He's had a few romantic interests in the novels as well.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97

Saying that, she could be anyone's daughter. There was a lot of drunk people partying at the end of Jedi.

😁

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
Saw this on Sunday. Took a couple of days to run it through my head and then read through this. Opinions are exactly that but some of the things people are criticising this film for are a bit ridiculous

Firstly, it has it's similarities to the original trilogy that's correct. But then Jedi was basically a rewrite of ANH. Going to rescue someone from somewhere, having to destroy the Death Star, battle at the end between the Jedi and the Sith Lord. Only Empire really has it's own individual story and that gives us a lot of understanding of things going on in the galaxy and the story. No-one really complains about that though

Also if this has been set out as a trilogy like the originals then as much as they want different directors to give their own spin on films you have to think that a lot of the basic story has been drafted already, at the very least they know where they want to end up. Things like how the Saber got into Maz's hands will be explained later on. Phasma will have a bigger role and be Finn's adversary through the next films after seeing him betray her and her squad. These stories that people want to know more of and see more of will be (or could be) explained in the next 2 films. You either do it this way or you end up with a 3 hour film on trade routes, struggles at the galactic senate and moves around plotting an invasion on a planet with some lightsaber battles thrown in to remind you it's a Star Wars film. Nobody wants that

In ANH you didn't really know what the force was, you never properly got an understanding of what the Empire were or what they wanted apart from killing Rebels and that was fine. You met R2 and C3P0 and followed them from the beginning as they land on Tattooine, split up on a desert planet and somehow end up together at Luke's farm. Through coincidence the droid they originally buy shorts and they have to buy R2 and then from there they end up with a chance encounter with Obi Wan after R2 goes missing. You don't question this though because even if it is slightly unbelievable you enjoy the characters, you can relate to Luke after 5 minutes because we've all felt trapped and small. It's a series of massive coincidences that lead all these coming together

Anyway enough of that. I LOVED the film. If I have to rank them it's 2nd behind Empire for me. Only slightly ahead of ANH and better than Jedi. I loved the characters and think they've really done a great job there. Rey is phenomenal and you can see the journey she is on as the film goes on. Finn was also very good too, he only wanted out of the First Order and now has found his way into the Resistance after helping Poe and stumbling upon the settlement were Rey was. Poe is that cocky, arrogant pilot that reminds you of Han but I think he's more of a fighter than a rogue smuggler and it will good to see where they take his character. The best thing for me was Ren though. You don't often see a villain where he is only at the beginning of his own journey and is still fighting with himself about good and evil. Yes he is clearly very powerful but he still has that doubt and pull towards to the light and that effects how powerful he can be. You only really see the change when he kills Han (so emotional) and I think you would have seen him straight up murder some folk if he wouldn't have been shot by Chewwy

That leads me onto the final battle in the woods. Despite what some have said I thought it was very well done. An injured yet powerful Sith up against 2 people. One who clearly has training as he was trained from a child in battle and the other who has fended for herself and is getting stronger with the force as the film goes on. Finn barely hangs on when fighting him and is constantly getting knocked back and manages to get a lucky shot to the shoulder before getting slashed up the back. The battle for Luke's saber was also tense because although a lot of people would have guessed Rey would also try for it you never see her so when it goes past Ren you still get that rush of excitement. At this point Rey is stronger than she has been in the force and has training with a staff (you can see that the way she fights she thrusts like she would with a staff and doesn't ever really swing like a sword). Ren has been bleeding out for some time now and has also just been in a fight before this so when he and Rey fight he is nowhere near as strong as he could be or will become. He tries to convince her to come to him and be trained but she lets the force flow through her and guide her and gets the last boost where she gets a shot to the leg and slashes his face (excuse to have a mask on again) before they are split by the ground opening. It's a good way to show that not only is Rey getting more powerful as she understands the force but Ren has a match

It felt like a Star Wars film. It sounded like a Star Wars film. It was beautiful, breathtaking at points (Tie Fighters with the sun behind them) and it had a solid story where new characters are introduced, a new enemy is introduced and old characters are either brought back in or killed off respectfully. There were nods to older fans, things for new fans (I fucking love BB8) and it has brought Star Wars back to what it should be - a space opera with epic battles, great characters and it makes you feel like a kid again. I never experienced the originals as I'm only 28 but I've never had anything like this before and felt like a little kid sat there

Thank you JJ and thank you Disney for giving me Star Wars back

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Star Wars is Homeric its like Homer --- Greek mythology full of adventures that feature coincidences, with a fairy tale vibe, an epic narrative spanning generations, full of monsters, darkness, light and tragedy, with improbable events that appeal to the imagination and touch on themes that are very broad and eternal and escapist

So yeah, what are the chances of R2-D2 and C3PO landing on Tatooine and just happening to be picked up by Luke Skywalker who is the brother of Princess Leia who sent them, the chances of just happening to land in his vicinity on Tatooine a whole entire massive desert planet, and then him just happening to come across them at a junk droid sale.................its fucking improbably as fuck...........but guess what......IT WORKS......we believe it..........because in this imaginative space we are taken along with the atmosphere, the vibe, the universe and the 'fairy tale' like epic mythological dimension it creates....and that is the genius of the first movies.....bottom line is you can get away with any coincidence if you make art beautifully and that is why it is audacious too.........and it works, the 'world' of the film takes on its own logic and believability, but it also sets up its own rules, and grounds this epic fairy tale thing in something that feels human and proportionate and believable.....

The bits that didn't work for me so well in Force Awakens are when we get taken out of that a little bit and the issue of Rey and her slight Mary Sue qualities are not about improbability of story..............what are the chances of the original spaceship she runs to getting blown up and then her running to the Millenium Falcon, and before that Finn landing so close to this girl so closely connected to the Jedis and the whole war between the First Order and Vader's daughter and son on the resistance, and then just happening to bump into Han Solo and Chewie who has been looking for his ship for years...........man alive...........the chances of that happening are trillions to one but guess what? WE BELIEVE IT because of the successful mythological Homeric epic fairy tale vibe of the movie and 'tradition' of Star Wars..........I didn't care about any of that.........I surrendered to it because it works for the narrative which is like Homer and epic and mythological.....................but in that context Rey's excellence in so many fields just felt slightly intuitively rushed compared to the journey of doubt, vulnerability that was on display in the original trilogy where it takes Luke for example three movies to achieve the supremacy over Vader and overcome so much internal fear and weakness etc etc

So the greatness of Star Wars is the marrying of these epic Homeric Greek epic mythological evoking narratives of fantasy, escape, excitement, spectacle, fantasy with these very believeable themes of individual inner lives on that canvas, especially in the characters of Luke, Han Solo (watch A New Hope again he is an amazing character a cynical maverick selfish cut throat thieving smuggling hustler bastard) and Anakin / Darth Vader to say nothing about Leia (who is a sassy take no prisoners strong woman)............now I just felt that Rey and Finn didn't resonate so well it seems that Rey got developed too fast and other things make me critical but guess what.........

They don't stop me from enjoying this movie, I loved it, I enjoyed it, I'm going to watch it multiple times at the cinema over the next few weeks and I have a feeling Rian Johnson is going to totally hit the next one for six. I think this is on the same level as Return of the Jedi, and I hope that the next two will hit the beyond-masterpiece mythological amazingness of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.

The ingredients are there. Star Wars is amazing, beautiful and even when imperfect it just transports your imagination and sets it on fire. So I love watching it and listening to people talk about it because its the best thing that movies can do --- take you out of the miserable and mundane world and TELL A STORY we can all share in

Spot on.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead

Interesting.

The only knock against this theory, is that the Jedi vowed to not have relationships. Obi-Wan didn't seem like the type to break the rules, whereas Luke struggled with the way of the Force and the Jedi. So, it's seems a little more plausible that he would be the one to form a relationship with someone.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
That no relationship thing was a bit weird I always thought, especially when Jedis are apparently trained from a very, very young age where they can't be expected to make decisions like celibacy
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Yep. Satine. In the show he says he would have left the Jedi Order if she had said the word. He's had a few romantic interests in the novels as well.
well that just voids what I said above.

hopefully she is "Young Rey Kenobi"

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
I think it's attachments that jedi aren't allowed to have.

So they can have all the casual sex they like as long as they don't get emotionally involved. Bunch of slags.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
That no relationship thing was a bit weird I always thought, especially when Jedis are apparently trained from a very, very young age where they can't be expected to make decisions like celibacy
like Buddhists?

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
like Buddhists?

No idea about Buddhists i've never followed the religion, but taking people at age 3 and deciding celibacy and a life of fighting for them is wrong
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
No idea about Buddhists i've never followed the religion, but taking people at age 3 and deciding celibacy and a life of fighting for them is wrong

Good thing they ain't real then.

And I mean the Buddists, not Jedi.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
Carrie Fisher came across as if she was impersonating Martin Sheen.

What if Rey is a Twin!!?

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Carrie Fisher came across as if she was impersonating Martin Sheen.

What if Rey is a Twin!!?
I hope not.

They've made enough parallels to a new hope already.