Author Topic: Mark Zuckerberg buys WhatsApp for £9.6bn  (Read 6495 times)

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Mark Zuckerberg buys WattsApp for £9.6bn
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 01:02:42 pm »
£9.6 billion?

Whtat a mug, it's only 69p from the App store.
Free on Android  ;)

Title's wrong by the way.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 01:09:28 pm »
What the hell did people do before mobile phones eh?  :D

"I'm just walking down the phone box, back in a bit" - can you imagine people putting up with that nowadays!?
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 01:16:07 pm »
What the hell did people do before mobile phones eh?  :D

"I'm just walking down the phone box, back in a bit" - can you imagine people putting up with that nowadays!?

i preferred those days.Used to be like "same time next week in such n such a pub lads" whoever turned up turned up.Still to this day detest using my mobile phone and often go out without it.People will know where i am if they need to contact me.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Yolanderyolando

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 03:50:29 pm »
Whatsapp is good for group messaging.

Im in a group with 20 of my mates, we all post on it to keep in touch.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2014, 03:57:13 pm »
just hope he doesn't piss about with it now

He's not going to spend all that money and leave it exactly how it is?

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2014, 05:29:22 pm »
He's not going to spend all that money and leave it exactly how it is?
Instagram pretty much didn't change since it was bought.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2014, 06:10:50 pm »
So it turns out the creator of whatsapp got rejected by Facebook for a job ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2014, 06:36:34 pm »
Not hip or anything, basically the guy wants us to live in his own virtual world, has your life really become more sociable since the introduction of "social" media? Not to mention him lying for years about not selling our info to the CIA then being proven that he did. That's on top of the fact that he really looks & sounds like a c*nt, I liked Jessie Eisenberg's version better than the real life character.

The early days on fb were the worst, where he re opted everyone back into the settings he wanted us to have. Undo privacy, undo email alerts, undo everything.. That pissed me right off, and because of it I wouldn't trust them as far as i'd throw them.

Then he was unequivocal about his view that everyone in the world shares the exact same type of relationship with everyone else. Essentially saying what you share to your best mates is the same as what you should share to your parents, aunts uncles and go knows who else is on the platform. He only took a uturn on this stance after google introduced Circles. It's still pissy to change anything though, and i am not arsed.

Despite the fact that he grew an enormous user base with strong engagement, he has people and brands at loggerheads. He wants more money for the platform (ofcourse he needs more that he has IPO'd), but this has everyone pissed off as he cannot please both. But this is the environment he created.

Then there is the privacy issue surrounding your data read more about that

Electing to have members of the platform endorse products on Facebook.

Their fraudulent revenue model, read more about that

Though in fairness, much credit to him for his charitable work. It's impressive to say the least.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2014, 06:57:36 pm »

Though in fairness, much credit to him for his charitable work. It's impressive to say the least.

Is it though? Silicon Valley Community Foundation and the Zuckerberg Foundation are two of the biggest beneficiaries. Surely there are more worthy causes? The tax breaks come in handy too i bet.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2014, 07:52:28 pm »
Can someone tell me this - why in this day and age when most people have contracts with unlimited texts, do people rave about this?

I find it useful for sending pictures instead of MMS messages - but the messaging side doesn't bother me as I get unlimited texts.

And as for the cost, I've had it 2 years, downloaded for free, and never been charged for using it.

In this day and age, people connect to people all over the world! These messaging services are great - I speak to friends and family in Canada, USA, India, around Europe and Asia as easily as I'd message them if they were here. If I were to text them, it'd cost a lot.

Also, you can have fixed conversation groups on whatsapp which is good if you have different groups of friends. I find myself in group conversations a lot too - whether it's speaking to old friends from back home (arranging to meet everyone when we're all in town), or previous friends from work who are still around (arrange to meet for lunch/drinks etc) - it's quick and easy.

And this is all just from the perspective of someone from the UK and on a contract. Texting within other countries or PAYG here, may still be expensive when texting - these messaging services are a boon for them.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2014, 08:18:07 pm »
Is it though? Silicon Valley Community Foundation and the Zuckerberg Foundation are two of the biggest beneficiaries. Surely there are more worthy causes? The tax breaks come in handy too i bet.
Im not sure about the details, i just know Bill Gates said recently that he gives a tonne of money to charity.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2014, 08:41:44 pm »
In other news..

Facebook Makes $54 Trillion Bid For The Internet

IN A bold move for online domination, social networking site Facebook told the world today it will bid $54 trillion for the world wide web, making it their biggest purchase to date.

The proposed deal sent shares in Mark Zucherber’gs company up as much as 76% per cent in trading after the closing bell of the New York Stock Exchange.

The Internet, which is currently owned by a hand full of global investors, is expected to accept the offer next week.

“We have had our eye on the Internet for quite some time,” Mr. Zucherberg told WWN today. “This will be the biggest ever take-over of its kind and we are delighted to bring our members this fascinating news today. Facebook has great plans for the Internet and users can look forward to experiencing these changes in May.”
It is not known exactly what changes Facebook has in store for the Internet, but sources confirm the social media giant already has plans on introducing a flat rate monthly fee for everyone wanting to log-on to the new service.
However, the news has not come without protest. Google CEO Larry Page has slammed the decision to sell the internet as ‘zany’ and vowed on his personal blog today to intercept the take-over.

‘This kind of thing should not be allowed to happen.’ wrote the 40-year-old human. ‘Facebook will hold a monopoly if it buys the internet and that will not be fair on other companies. There must be some kind of law against this sort of the thing. I’m really angry so I am. REALLY ANGRY!’

Founder and main share holder of the Internet, Professor Leonard Kleinrock, disagreed with Pages comments, saying the take-over is not in anyway illegal or morally wrong: “When I invented the Internet I knew I was on to something huge. A super take-over was inevitable, and so is the $21 trillion I’m going to receive for my lifes work. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just jealous”‘

Facebook is currently worth more than 100 trillion dollars, already owning several hundred businesses and three entire countries. Last year the site came under controversy for buying its latest addition, Mongolia, turning the country’s vast waste land into warehouses for its servers and forcing millions of poor people from their homes.

Source

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2014, 10:30:11 pm »
In other news..

Facebook Makes $54 Trillion Bid For The Internet

IN A bold move for online domination, social networking site Facebook told the world today it will bid $54 trillion for the world wide web, making it their biggest purchase to date.

The proposed deal sent shares in Mark Zucherber’gs company up as much as 76% per cent in trading after the closing bell of the New York Stock Exchange.

The Internet, which is currently owned by a hand full of global investors, is expected to accept the offer next week.

“We have had our eye on the Internet for quite some time,” Mr. Zucherberg told WWN today. “This will be the biggest ever take-over of its kind and we are delighted to bring our members this fascinating news today. Facebook has great plans for the Internet and users can look forward to experiencing these changes in May.”
It is not known exactly what changes Facebook has in store for the Internet, but sources confirm the social media giant already has plans on introducing a flat rate monthly fee for everyone wanting to log-on to the new service.
However, the news has not come without protest. Google CEO Larry Page has slammed the decision to sell the internet as ‘zany’ and vowed on his personal blog today to intercept the take-over.

‘This kind of thing should not be allowed to happen.’ wrote the 40-year-old human. ‘Facebook will hold a monopoly if it buys the internet and that will not be fair on other companies. There must be some kind of law against this sort of the thing. I’m really angry so I am. REALLY ANGRY!’

Founder and main share holder of the Internet, Professor Leonard Kleinrock, disagreed with Pages comments, saying the take-over is not in anyway illegal or morally wrong: “When I invented the Internet I knew I was on to something huge. A super take-over was inevitable, and so is the $21 trillion I’m going to receive for my lifes work. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just jealous”‘

Facebook is currently worth more than 100 trillion dollars, already owning several hundred businesses and three entire countries. Last year the site came under controversy for buying its latest addition, Mongolia, turning the country’s vast waste land into warehouses for its servers and forcing millions of poor people from their homes.

Source

:D

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2014, 10:41:11 pm »
Can someone tell me this - why in this day and age when most people have contracts with unlimited texts, do people rave about this?

I find it useful for sending pictures instead of MMS messages - but the messaging side doesn't bother me as I get unlimited texts.

And as for the cost, I've had it 2 years, downloaded for free, and never been charged for using it.

It's the ability to message abroad and message between groups of people that I find the most useful. Trying to organise something between mates for example so much easier with a group on whatsapp rather than multiple messages, emails or calls to people.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2014, 08:49:28 am »
the only advantage i can see is messaging abroad,other than that there is no benefit at all.I use to message mates in ireland australia and spain.other than that i use my phone texts for group texting and stuff as its already set up in groups and free anyway

Offline Paronomasia

• Main Stander
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2014, 01:10:28 am »
the only advantage i can see is messaging abroad,other than that there is no benefit at all.I use to message mates in ireland australia and spain.other than that i use my phone texts for group texting and stuff as its already set up in groups and free anyway
You can send photos as well, useful for some people such as myself, with unlimited SMS but no MMS. Also, I'm not sure if it's like this for a lot of phones, but my iphone 4 is still on ios 5, and group texting is a pain in the arse. You can send a text out to multiple people, but it's not an actual group conversation. The recipients don't see who else you sent it to, and if they reply it only goes to you. You also can't add anyone to the group afterwards; if you want to send another text later to the same people + someone else, you have to start a new group entirely, adding everyone in again.

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2014, 06:52:05 pm »
I wonder if they want to negotiate a reduction? Whatsapp has been down for a while today.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2014, 06:56:15 pm »
Tons of privacy issues with Ffb. WhatsApp isn't very secure either, and they can change their settings without even informing you. Use it a lot to keep in touch with family abroad, but will delete my account now.

There's plenty of other options, but obviously you need to get your family and friends on the same service.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2014, 07:04:10 pm »
Whatsapp down.. Good start.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2014, 07:48:39 pm »
It has never been down before Facebook bought it.

Fuck off Zuckercunt.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2014, 07:49:49 pm »
I'm actually frustrated by an app being down, how has it come to this :D

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2014, 07:51:02 pm »
It has never been down before Facebook bought it.

Fuck off Zuckercunt.

its actually down quite a bit you just now never notice  :P

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2014, 08:55:17 pm »
Downloaded telegram now. They had 800,000 new users yesterday and currently get 100 registrations per second!   :o
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Mark Zuckerberg buys WhatsApp for £9.6bn
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2014, 08:33:58 pm »
Got to admit, the best thing on Whatsapp is LFC matchdays. No matter where everyone is, we all give each other running commentary, swear at Moses/Cissokho/referee and have chats about footy and Fantasy Football.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2014, 09:01:15 pm »
Instagram pretty much didn't change since it was bought.

It will never eeeeever be the same again!

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2014, 03:23:52 pm »
WhatsApp is quality, don't think he'll meddle with it to be honest, they haven't done anything negative to Instagram either.

Also, I am on Android and whatsapp is always free.
No it isn't, I got charged 69p after my first year of use, 69p per year for a fantastic app like WhatsApp isn't going to break the bank.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2014, 03:33:10 pm »
No it isn't, I got charged 69p after my first year of use, 69p per year for a fantastic app like WhatsApp isn't going to break the bank.

unless you only have 68p

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2014, 03:35:29 pm »

I have had it for 2 years on Android and have never paid
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:39:29 pm by PhilV »

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2014, 10:07:54 pm »
£9.6 billion?

Whtat a mug, it's only 69p from the App store.

:D

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2014, 10:10:07 pm »
I have had it for 2 years on Android and have never paid

It depends on when you linked it to your current mob number.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2020, 01:08:31 am »
c*nts.

I hate Zuckerberg.

It's hip to dislike the influential and rich.

c*nts in being c*nts shocker!

Facebook abandons broken drilling equipment under Oregon coast seafloor

Lynnae Ruttledge was worried when she heard Facebook planned to build a landing spot for an undersea fiber-optic cable near her Oregon Coast home.

Tierra Del Mar, where the 70-year-old retired government worker lives part-time, is a tiny community north of Pacific City with no stoplights and no cell-phone service. The enclave, all zoned residential, consists of about a dozen mostly gravel streets running perpendicular to an idyllic stretch of beach, each lined with single-family homes.

Ruttledge and many of her neighbors worried about heavy equipment on fragile roads built over sand dunes. They worried about noise and vibrations from the drill needed to punch a hole under the seafloor thousands of feet out into the ocean. They worried about threatened bird species, like the snowy plover and marbled murrelet, that could be affected.

Despite their concerns, and a vocal campaign to stop the project, construction began earlier this year.

Then, on April 28, the drilling crew hit an unexpected area of hard rock. The drill bit became lodged and the drill pipe snapped 50 feet below the seafloor. The crew was able to recover some of the equipment, but they left the rest where it lay.

Today, about 1,100 feet of pipe, a drill tip, various other tools and 6,500 gallons of drilling fluid sit under the seafloor just off the central Oregon coast. Facebook has no plans to retrieve the equipment.

Edge Cable Holdings, a Facebook subsidiary responsible for the project, notified the county of the accident on May 5, but it did not explicitly mention the abandoned equipment. That information didn’t emerge until a meeting with state officials June 17, nearly two months after the malfunction, said Ali Hansen, a Department of State Lands spokeswoman.

The delay in notification eliminated any potential options for recovery of the equipment,” Hansen said in an email. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said the company’s new plan is to return in early 2021 to drill a new hole, leaving the lost equipment under the seafloor indefinitely.

A Facebook spokeswoman confirmed the drilling equipment remains below the seafloor just off the coast but disputed the timeline of when the state was notified. She said the company was aware the May 5 letter had been passed to state officials by a resident and followed up with a phone call with the Department of State Lands two days later.

She also said the company had performed an environmental assessment and “determined that there is no negative environmental or public health impact from the drill head remaining at the site.”

“While marine retrieval of the remaining equipment and drilling mud may be possible,” she said in an email, “such an effort is not guaranteed to succeed and it is not an environmentally prudent option.”

On Thursday, the Department of State Lands notified the company that it was in default of its permits because it was using the area to “store” the abandoned equipment, which was unauthorized. The agency told Facebook it had 30 days to reach an agreement with the state on damages to be paid for violating the permit and amend the agreement to address any “current and future risks and liabilities that may arise from the abandoned” equipment.

The default also gave Facebook 180 days to “remove the abandoned pipe, equipment, tools and drilling mud in consultation with the (state) and without causing damage to the environment” or apply for a new permit to leave the equipment where it is.

The accident and its aftermath, first reported by the Tillamook Headlight Herald, is beyond any initial fear Ruttledge had.

“I actually believed that they would make life miserable during the time they were here, but finish by April and then be gone,” she told The Oregonian/OregonLive. “I could never have imagined that their pipe would break and they would abandon it with no plan to remove it from under the sea bed.”

OPPOSITION FROM THE GET-GO

In 2018, Facebook bought an undeveloped beachfront lot from former University of Oregon quarterback Joey Harrington for $495,000. Soon after, the company submitted applications to Tillamook County and the state to use that residential-zoned property as the eastern terminus for one of its trans-oceanic fiber-optic cables, which would stretch more than 8,500 miles from Japan and the Philippines to the west coast of North America.

The company planned to bore a hole 3,000 feet out to sea, where it would connect with the cable from Asia. The project would start in the lot, which is under Tillamook County’s jurisdiction, run under the beach, which is managed by the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, and end in the waters offshore, territory regulated by the Department of State Lands and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, all agencies included in the permitting process.

Tierra Del Mar residents were immediately opposed. Of the nearly 60 comments submitted, every one recommended denying the permit outright or seeking an alternative location.

State Rep. David Gomberg, who represents the area, at the time said residents’ apprehension was misplaced.

“Oregon and particularly rural Oregon, wants that infrastructure. Whether it be broadband or fiber optic, we are dependent on it for our livability,” he said. “I sat down with the neighbors early and asked them what they wanted from Facebook. Did they want their roads paved? Or better internet service? Or to turn the lots into a park? Their position was they didn’t want Facebook at all.”

Nonetheless, the county board of commissioners gave the green light. Construction began in late January and crews began drilling in early March.

Immediately, residents’ concerns were confirmed. Shaking from the drill rattled homes close to the site, and one neighbor’s water main broke, after which drilling stopped while “a collaborative solution” was reached, according to a letter from an attorney representing Facebook. Another neighbor complained of high noise levels, and some sound baffling was added.

Given the scope of the project, things could have been worse, Ruttledge said.

“Was it ever as noisy as we thought? No,” she said. “Was it ugly? Absolutely.”

Then, on April 28, just days from completion, the drill pipe snapped about 500 feet from its endpoint.

“No damage to the environment or injury to any workers occurs, but emergency measures are required to determine the cause, locate the break, remove damaged rods between the entry point and the break point, secure the bore hole and HDD drill rig and contact state and federal officials,” a lawyer wrote to county planners May 5.

The letter also noted all activity was halted April 30, as required by the permits, and the company would prefer to remove equipment from the lot and return in January 2021 to complete the job. The Facebook spokeswoman said to work past April 30 would require a new permit, which could take months.

The letter did not explicitly mention the equipment left on the seafloor and Hansen, with the Department of State Lands, said the state only found out about the abandoned equipment in a meeting with the company on June 17, five weeks after the accident.

A CALL TO CANCEL PERMITS

In 2016, Gov. Kate Brown wrote a letter encouraging attendees at a telecommunications conference to think of Oregon as a landing site for trans-Pacific undersea cables.

“We invite and encourage you to consider Oregon as your future site to come ashore on the west coast of North America, and as an excellent location for the placement of related on-shore operations,” Brown wrote.

Edge Cable Holdings paid the standard $5,000 application fee for the Tierra Del Mar project, plus an additional $300,000 to remove a clause in the agreement that could have resulted in future fees.

But since the project has gone awry, Gomberg, the state representative who tried to broker peace between Facebook and residents before the project, has soured on the social media giant’s presence.

“I have come to the conclusion that (the residents) were absolutely right,” he said. “Facebook has been an unfriendly neighbor. These folks now have to be worried about what washes up on their beach for generations.”

One of the biggest problems with the project, and others like it, is that the permits don’t account for such situations, said Cameron La Follette, Oregon Coast Alliance executive director.

Oregon’s rules on laying fiber-optic cable on the coast are lax, La Follette said, and don’t hold companies financially responsible for accidents and include only generic language about environmental concerns.

“This accident, which resulted in Facebook/Edge Cable abandoning equipment and at least 6,500 gallons of bore gel under the seafloor, occurred due to corporate incompetence, combined with negligence and extreme irresponsibility about Oregon’s priceless marine natural resources,” La Follette said in an email.

While the permit does include mitigation plans for an “inadvertent release” of drilling fluid, none has yet spilled. The components “are biodegradable and environmentally neutral,” Hansen said, adding that “(the state) is requiring Edge Cable to provide an analysis of potential health, safety, and environmental impacts due to the presence of the equipment.”

Both La Follette and Ruttledge want the permits revoked, stiff fines levied and all equipment responsibly removed.

Brown spokesman Charles Boyle said the state expects “transparency and timely notification” from companies like Facebook and that Brown is considering whether additional regulations are necessary. The Department of State Lands was “exploring what opportunities exist to remedy this situation,” he said.

“When the drill equipment was removed from the bore hole without notice or discussion, the opportunity to fully evaluate recovery options was lost,” Hansen said. “We are working with the Department of Justice to develop new language regarding timely notification and equipment salvage.”

The Facebook spokeswoman maintained the company has been transparent throughout the project.

If the company fails to comply with the 30- and 180-day deadlines in the default notice, the state could terminate its agreement with Facebook, issue fines or initiate legal action.

Meanwhile, Facebook’s assurances that the equipment and drilling fluid pose no environmental hazard are of little comfort to Ruttledge.

“We don’t trust them,” she said. “Someone has come in and left junk in our backyard, and they feel no remorse.

“They are not saying, ‘We’re sorry.’ There is no accountability.”

https://www.oregonlive.com/environment/2020/08/facebook-abandons-broken-drilling-equipment-under-oregon-coast-seafloor.html?outputType=amp