Author Topic: Roy Evans: 'Liverpool are a fair bit behind top four'  (Read 17258 times)

Offline Elysian Fields

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Roy Evans: 'Liverpool are a fair bit behind top four'
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:42:21 am »
I have to say that I disgaree with Roy's slightly pessimistic view. Okay, we don't have the silly money of City, and he makes a fair point that we could do with another one or two 'game changers', but on the pitch, I don't see any reason at all why we can't match any of the top four teams.

If Tevez goes, that's City with no one to score goals. If Fabregas goes, Arsenal just aren't going to be a force. And there's no reason based on last seasons results why we can't turn over mid table teams pretty easily eg. Fulham or deal those physical 'kick and chase' type teams. I see no reason why we shouldn't be aiming for a top four place in 2011/12 - probably at the expense of Arsenal - though I suspect it's all going to depend on how well we come together as a team on the pitch, improving our away form, and whether that Downing/crossing/Adam/setpieces/Caroll thing makes it easier for us to turn over teams.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/9023/8/exclusive-evans-liverpool-are-fair-bit-behind-top-four
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:45:30 am by Elysian Fields »

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Roy Evans: 'Liverpool are a fair bit behind top four'
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 10:43:55 am »
I think as it stands we are still behind the other top 4 on paper.  But yes if Arsenal lose Fabregas and Nasri and don't spend big to replace them I ca see them slipping out.  Man City will be up there even without Tevez... they will sign someone in the Aguero mould if they lose him.

Offline red_moon

• Main Stander
  • The red side of the moon
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:46:15 am »
Spur.... 'better teams' where the hell did he get that idea?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:53:05 am »
Say what you will, we're as it stands an overall better and more balanced team then both Spurs and Arsenal and not far behind others.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:53:37 am »
Our owners will be pleased by him saying this after paying his salary on LFC TV and after the money they have just spent on our new recruits?
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:54:02 am »
Hmmm 'short of a bit of class against the better teams'.

Our results against Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City (placed 1, 2, 3 last season) would suggest otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:57:44 am by dnkw »

Offline HiroProtagonist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:54:50 am »
He's right. Even with the acquisitions of Henderson, Adam and Downing.

Offline MKelly34

• Legacy Fan
  • Kelly's lover (not really)
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 10:56:17 am »
We are, but we also proved we can beat them. So fuck him.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 10:59:39 am »
I do think we're a little bit behind Chelsea and Man united, purely because they're building on a few seasons worth of success.  We're building on the near collapse of our football club.  There's no shame in that and I think it's fair to say that whatever you make of our signings, we're moving in the right direction.

Man City is a different matter.  They could be considered as being a bit ahead of us in that they have some very good players and seem willing to spend very highly (especially in terms of wages) in order to progress.  I don't think that's sustainable and would question whether that puts them ahead of us in the long run.

Tottenham and even Arsenal, I think we're at about the same level but I think that we've got the right people at the club to be considered above them before too long.

I don't think there's a problem with Roy saying this, in fact a dose of realism never went amiss!

Offline Flipmode

• Main Stander
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 11:02:28 am »
Do you think that they say this just to manage expectations and take some pressure off the team

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 11:05:22 am »
Do you think that they say this just to manage expectations and take some pressure off the team?

Yes I do. It's what I came in here to post. LFC media machine in action.

I'd expect more stuff like this. Especially if we make a decent start to the season. No one's done it in this thread (yet) but I expect people won't think before they post slagging off past legends of LFC.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 11:06:24 am »
Do you think that they say this just to manage expectations and take some pressure off the team

No.  Honesty is the best policy and he is being very honest here.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline AnnieRoad(Un)Faithful

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Olivavu
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 11:08:50 am »
We don't have the depth of United, City or Chelsea, that's for sure, but we're going about fixing that in the right way.

I think Kenny needs to bring in three or four more new faces and we'll certainly be challenging for that fourth spot next season.

I think United, Chelsea and City will get the top three spots and then it's down to us to beat Spurs and Arsenal to fourth.
"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 11:08:52 am »
Haven't we played Arsenal, Chelsea, both Manchester clubs (no losses to any of them in the league) under Kenny and yet Spurs game is the one highlighted?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 11:11:38 am »
I think there is a way to manage expectations without talking down the team.  None of the teams above us covered themselves in glory results-wise last season. 

It will only be a challenge breaking back into the top four because, psychologically, it's hard to envisage one of the current occupants having to make room for us.  If City were to slip out, their owners would go nuclear.  If Arsenal slip out, they'll implode.

As always though it's about consistency.  We don't have to play as well as in 2009 to improve on the previous two seasons and we can't directly influence the results of the teams above us except when we play them.  25 wins - including home wins against the clubs above us last year - should be enough for at least fourth.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 11:14:07 am »
Hmmm 'short of a bit of class against the better teams'.

Our results against Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City (placed 1, 2, 3 last season) would suggest otherwise.

Exactly what I was going to point out.

I like Roy, but he's talking out of his arse here. Yeah we may not have the financial clout out Chelsea or City, but we can still get top 4 next year. I dont expect us to win the league at all for a couple of years, but we're not as far off as Roy is making out
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 11:15:33 am »
Spur.... 'better teams' where the hell did he get that idea?
bollocks

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 11:16:54 am »
We are, but we also proved we can beat them. So fuck him.

Easy. Remember who you're talking about.

Offline rappcats

• Kopite
  • *random formation graph*
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 11:18:38 am »
A lost game against Spurs with a half of the first team players injured and a dogdy penalty clearly indicates that we are way behind, what a bellend  ::)

Offline Cunny Funt

• Main Stander
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 11:19:59 am »
Weren't we second place in the league if you only include the games Kenny was in charge of? that to me is enough to say we are most definitely top 4 and better with some good signings. Kenny made a few mistakes last season due to being back in the seat after some time. He wont make those mistakes  this year. Roy needs to have a chat with Optajoe

Offline dobbouk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 11:21:07 am »
January onwards there weren't many teams that looked better than us. With the three additions and hopefully Gerrard back fully fit, I don't see us being far behind anyone. All about mentality!

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 11:21:44 am »
His standards are obviously higher. As is Kenny's.

Cant say a bad word against him to be honest, his Liverpool side in the 90's was a joy to watch. Even with Harkness in the side.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline MKelly34

• Legacy Fan
  • Kelly's lover (not really)
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 11:23:25 am »
Easy. Remember who you're talking about.

I wasn't being serious.  :D

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 11:23:51 am »
He is right - for now. We are out of Europe and buying decent PL players, not International stars .

BUT, I think that Kenny is buying/ has bought well. Yes, these players do have to prove themselves - but that is the point. That is why Kenny has bought them - desire. Compare the desire levels amongst our squad, and Arsenals.................... Ours WANT to be here and prove themselves, Arsenals want out.

IF we crack the Top Four next season we will have done very well - a point well made by Roy.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 11:34:26 am »
I can't see a problem with what he's saying there to be honest. We finished sixth last season so by that very fact alone we're behind them. He's being honest and he's being realistic. It won't be easy to jump back into the top four and the fact that they will all be strengthening this summer only makes it more difficult.

As far as "game changers" go, who would people say we have in that mould at the moment? Personally, I would say we have two of that ilk in Gerrard and Suarez. With Gerrards recent injury problems and advancing age, it is likely that he will not be available for every single game, which would leave us with a single player that you could realistically look at and expect to change a game by himself. Is that enough to go where we all hope to go? Probably not.

I've been saying for a while that we need another of that kind so I completely agree with Roy on that. Downing is a good signing because he adds attributes that we have lacked for some time. He improves that area of the squad undoubtedly. I still feel we could use another in that position who has the ability to beat a man and create something from nothing though. Another Suarez type player if you like.

Whether that happens this summer or not though, we're moving in the right direction, we just need a little patience and to remember where we are building from, where we were at this point last year. We've come a hell of a long way in a short space of time. We also have some way to go yet.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 11:38:31 am »
We came 6th in the league 10 points behind Arsenal in 4th, whatever the mitigating factors for the early season. Not only that, but other teams are able to make evolutionary additions while we're having to perform major surgery. Fair points, I think.

Offline mactifosi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 11:38:34 am »
I agree, Roy is spot on with his comments which I think are directed at some fans who expect instant success and for us to win the league next season.
We must guard against this and rather focus on doing our job of supporting the team.

This can only help to motivate the lads.

I don't think we will challenge for the title but I do think we will be closer.
The signings have improved the team but we must keep our feet on the ground.

Let's keep the pressure off the lads as much as possible and focus on being positive.
It will take 2-3 seasons for us to reach the top in my opinion.

Top four next season and anything better than 4th will be a real bonus.

Offline Zverko

• Kopite
  • keep it simple stupid
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 11:41:40 am »
A lost game against Spurs with a half of the first team players injured and a dogdy penalty clearly indicates that we are way behind, what a bellend  ::)

And with Hodgson/Shitty Owners/Moody Torres  for half of a season. 
The King: "The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here"

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 11:42:57 am »
He has a fair point to be honest.

I can see us challenging for fourth but probably just missing out. There's still another 8 or whatever weeks left of the window, but so far i don't think we have really bridged the gap in quality with our signings.

Having a greater chance of finishing fourth would be helped immensely if Arsenal and City did both lose their star men.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 11:44:21 am »
I'd say we can play well against the top teams, but don't have the squad depth (yet) to compete at the highest level over the course of the season.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 11:56:26 am »
He has a fair point to be honest.

I can see us challenging for fourth but probably just missing out. There's still another 8 or whatever weeks left of the window, but so far i don't think we have really bridged the gap in quality with our signings.

Having a greater chance of finishing fourth would be helped immensely if Arsenal and City did both lose their star men.

Ok, let me not break out lineups and bench lists, but I will say that both points you made are a bit over the top pessimistic.
We have a world class goalkeeper, very solid defence, excellent midfield and finally some potency in attack and some squad depth.
We have gamechanging players in Gerrard, Suarez, Meireles, Adam. We've bought quality players, Kenny's first choices for numerous positions.

I think we'll break into top four in style. Our star is rising, we have balls and are ready to shed some sweat and blood for every victory.
You say we've not bridged a gap, I say we'll terrorize the league and let them have their overpaid stars on fat contracts with nothing to play for.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 11:58:12 am »
No.  Honesty is the best policy and he is being very honest here.
Agree with that. It might be painful to some but he's not wrong (about the top 4 challenge), not as it stands currently at least.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2011, 11:59:57 am »
He's right though. Until we get Mata, Sneijder, Messi, possibly Tevez and nick Pique from Barca we havent got a chance.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2011, 12:00:08 pm »
Can't see much wrong with what he's said, to be honest. There's certainly no reason to be calling him a bellend.

Offline Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 12:01:25 pm »
25 wins - including home wins against the clubs above us last year - should be enough for at least fourth.

That's 75 points, and would most likely win us the title combined with 7 or 8 draws. 20 wins would be a much more realistic target.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:03:34 pm by Enders »
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline Abrak

• Pulling his Peter Principle
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 12:02:55 pm »
In my view the key will be this.

What actually tells us that we are not as good as the top 4 is our performance against the bottom 6 teams. We lost more points here than the top 4 clubs put together. The reason it shows we are not as good is that the top 4 teams are simply slotting these sides away some with an average goal difference of over 2 goals. They are simply too good not to beat these sides and often beat them quite easily 90% of the time.

Now we look at our performance against the top 4 and we say we look pretty much as good as them on performance. But you know we scored a double against Chelsea it doesnt make us better than them - we had a couple of good games they might have been a bit off. In fact against the top 4 teams we can expect to be a few wins, a few losses and a few draws. But where they are showing their 'class' or 'depth' is that they are not really ever bad enough to lose to the bottom teams except very occasionally. Last year we lost to them, we deserved to lose in many cases and we created very few chances.

Now hopefully this is the big difference our summer signings are going to make. It isnt going to mean we beat Man U at Old Trafford but we are signing 'chance creators' and creating a team with more depth. We almost saw it for a period towards the end of last season, when we were turning up to matches and us winning never looked in doubt. So hopefully that is what we will have next season greater consistency.

Last season we dropped 21 points against the bottom six clubs in the league. Arsenal dropped just 4. A difference of 17 points. And they beat us by 10!!

Offline Arab Scouse

• Anny Roader
  • Proud Arab Scouser
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 12:04:20 pm »
I don't think anyone should be worked up about what he is saying, fair enough he gave his opinion people might disagree others might agree.

What matters the most is concentrating on how we will perform on the pitch not someone giving his opinion on how we fair next season.
“When I've got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along.” - Bill Shankly

Offline bldwalsh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 12:06:28 pm »
He is right - for now. We are out of Europe and buying decent PL players, not International stars .

BUT, I think that Kenny is buying/ has bought well. Yes, these players do have to prove themselves - but that is the point. That is why Kenny has bought them - desire. Compare the desire levels amongst our squad, and Arsenals.................... Ours WANT to be here and prove themselves, Arsenals want out.

IF we crack the Top Four next season we will have done very well - a point well made by Roy.

Not that your not right about us finishing in the top four but when as a club have we ever got players people considered world class?  We never have, we most always got in potential.  They came here improved and became world beaters.  Torres was never considered a world beater by most. Mash couldn't get into the west ham team.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:08:11 pm by bldwalsh »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 12:07:40 pm »
We  don't need to worry about anyone else. Constant, steady improvement is what counts.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2011, 12:09:33 pm »
You can't really argue with what he's said there.  Some people are expecting instant success and I'm sorry folks but it ain't gonna happen!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez