Author Topic: Phil Thompson interviews Kenny Dalglish  (Read 4297 times)

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
Phil Thompson interviews Kenny Dalglish
« on: July 15, 2011, 07:15:33 am »
I couldn't see this anywhere else so thought I would pop it in here. Mods.... if this is more suitable elsewhere feel free to move, lock, kill as you please.

http://www.lfctour.com/english/news

Thommo puts Kenny to the test

What's Kenny Dalglish's golf handicap? Whatever happened to the 'Kenny coat'? Does he expect to conduct more business in the transfer market?

All these questions and more were answered at a light-hearted Standard Chartered event at the team hotel in Malaysia earlier today when Club Ambassador and Liverpool legend Phil Thompson was given the challenge of interviewing the Reds' manager - and Managing Director Ian Ayre - during an entertaining question and answer session.

In front of a group of specially invited guests, Dalglish answered all of the questions which came his way, often bringing smiles and laughs from the audience as the boss played his part in ensuring Liverpool's first full day in Malaysia was on its way to being a big success.

Here are the best bits from Kenny's informal Q and A, which began with him revealing his golf handicap:

"It's five," he replied, prompting Thommo to poke fun at himself by asking the boss if he wanted to borrow his nose as he wasn't so sure he was being truthful.

"And what about Alan Hansen and Gary Gillespie - where do you rank alongside them on the golf course?"

"Big Al is a four handicap - although he has the yips at the moment - and Gary plays off 2, so he's definitely the best golfer.

The rest of the Kenny interview then ran something like this:

Kenny on why he always looks so happy...

The best thing is not to take medical advice, because they always tell you something is wrong (laughs). Seriously though, I am happy in my life because I am where I want to be - at Liverpool Football Club. I left twenty years ago but I always wanted to come back, the only disappointment was that my fortune was somebody else's misfortune. I am where I want to be and don't want to be anywhere else.

The important thing is everyone at the club is happy and the atmosphere is good. Everyone does their job and there are no divisions, which means we can do our jobs properly. Plus, we haven't lost a game since May so we're not doing too bad!

Kenny on his arrival in Malaysia...

It was the first time I had been to China and this is my first time in Malaysia. We went to Thailand and Singapore two years ago and we could see the support was phenomenal.
Last night when we arrived there were so many people in the hotel to welcome us, I thought they must all have been homeless - or enthusiastic. You don't get that back home. We arrived at 6am and got a great welcome. It's when you come to places like this you realise how big our club is.

We can't go everywhere we are asked to go, but we try our best and the boys understand and enjoy it.

Kenny on the young players...

It was great to see Conor Coady last night and also nice that when he scored Jack Robinson and Andre Wisdom, two players he has grown up with, were on the field at the same time and were there to congratulate him. One of the things we are really proud of is how well the Academy is developing since the Spanish coaches came in. You can't get success just by buying players, you have to bring through your own as well. We are all very proud of what is being achieved at our Academy and long may it continue.

Kenny on his famous coat from yesteryear...

I only ever wore it to lose weight. Especially at the Cup final in May (laughs).

Kenny on doing more transfer business...

If someone comes up who is of interest we will try our best. No-one can point the finger at John and Tom and say they haven't supported us financially. They have been fantastically supportive since January when Fernando Torres went and we brought Andy Carroll straight in, along with Luis Suarez who was coming in anyway.

Kenny on the highlight of his career...

Winning the Cup in '89. It was a fantastic success in a really difficult year after Hillsborough. The people who suffered were looking for some solace and we gave it to them.

Although we lost the league to Arsenal in the last minute that year, I think the fans would have chosen a Cup success over the league that year.

Kenny's message to the fans...

We appreciate the support we get from you all. The players have been taken aback by the support you have given them. It's important as a club that we come out and see you whenever we can. Support isn't just measured by finance and we really do appreciate what you do for us.

On the pitch we will do our best to get as much as we possibly can. We want to win for everyone. Last year we did well to finish sixth but that isn't really acceptable for us and we want to finish higher if we can.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:32:13 am by BabuYagu »
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Phil Thompson interviews Kenny Dalglish
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 07:23:07 am »
Legends. All of them.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:47:48 am »
"Seriously though, I am happy in my life because I am where I want to be - at Liverpool Football Club. I left twenty years ago but I always wanted to come back, the only disappointment was that my fortune was somebody else's misfortune. I am where I want to be and don't want to be anywhere else."

Is there anything else left to be said about The King?
We are Liverpool!

Offline HesAGizmonite

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:54:15 am »
What a legend, I really think we might do something this coming year. I can't prove it, but I feel it haha.

Hope I'm right.
http://www.tiki-taka.org/forums/index.php/forum/54-liverpool/ <---Too many goons and Mancs; Need more Liverpool fans!

Offline SmithdownAndy

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC. Did You Really Think We Would Leave You Dying
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:58:15 am »
Absolutely love the man, he's the epitome of this club.
Rest In Eternal Peace Ray (shanklyboy) - Gone but will NEVER be forgotten

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:03:48 am »
brilliant ;D

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:04:00 am »
Two of my favorite ex players. It remains to be seen how Kenny does this season, but I think we are in for a special ride.
Justice for the 96

Offline PaLee

• Death by football
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • This is ANFIELD!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 09:06:46 am »
Long live King Kenny!!

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 09:18:12 am »
Was sitting just in front of Rushie at the United cup game (Kenny's first game back in charge). Ian was telling me that he was hoping to be part of the coaching set up and was waiting to hear what his role was. I wonder if he will be appointed to the staff this year...he was obviously desperate to be involved

Offline FowlerLeftFoot

• Kopite
  • There's Only One God
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 11:02:24 am »
Was sitting just in front of Rushie at the United cup game (Kenny's first game back in charge). Ian was telling me that he was hoping to be part of the coaching set up and was waiting to hear what his role was. I wonder if he will be appointed to the staff this year...he was obviously desperate to be involved

he could teach carroll where to move
---------------------------
SPREAD THE LINK  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/19149

Overseas Reds - use Anfields address  L4 0TH

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 03:10:11 pm »
The vibe overall within the club is just so good, you can't help but feel it when you listen to them talk....it's a breath of fresh air.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 03:15:56 pm »
Great work lads...Kenny chatting with Rushie and Tommo.....the club has a great feel about it now.
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline TheDpoLenz without the please like

• Loves to cream himself - but never on the face... cainarbatonmai
  • Legacy Fan
  • sound,,,,,,
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 03:18:02 pm »

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 06:13:57 pm »
Absolutely love the man, he's the epitome of this club.
You and me both mate.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 06:18:38 pm »
Humorous interview there, Glad the King has Returned.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 06:26:21 pm »
It was a good read, nice to see some of our legends in all in place during a tour.

You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline On the perch

• Main Stander
  • Mr Suarez is not a racist. Jon Champion is a twat
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 06:48:10 pm »
Normal service is resumed at Anfield.

Long live the King.
All round the fields......................

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 06:54:47 pm »
Tony Evans's tweets:

TonyEvansTimes Tony Evans
by JimBoardman
Reading updated chapter in Dalglish's autobiography, out on 21st. Harsh words for some people who were on Anfield scene last summer. Not RH

by JimBoardman
And he makes it clear that the only man he recommended for the manager's job was himself

Also:

It's fair to say he wasn't impressed with non-football people making football decisions

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 07:56:10 pm »
Tony Evans's tweets:

by JimBoardman
Reading updated chapter in Dalglish's autobiography, out on 21st. Harsh words for some people who were on Anfield scene last summer. Not RH

by JimBoardman
And he makes it clear that the only man he recommended for the manager's job was himself

Also:

It's fair to say he wasn't impressed with non-football people making football decisions

Oh, come on! You've got to include what he wrote seconds later:

@TonyEvansTimes: There's this: 'Only one paper called for my appointment on day Rafa sacked. And stuck to line despite ridicule from other parts of media'...

@TonyEvansTimes: Of course, that's in biro, in my handwritting. But I thought I'd tickle it in anyway. Just because it all makes me happy