Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers: An Insight  (Read 177067 times)

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brendan Rodgers: An Insight
« Reply #800 on: May 31, 2012, 10:30:49 am »
Its an absolutley, massive, fucking huge gamble and one which I personally think was totally unnecessary (though I hope and pray it pays off all the same).

Putting a man in charge that had been out of football management for 11 years was a much bigger gamble. Don't get me wrong, Rodgers is still a gamble, but so is appointing any new manager. FSG have been clever enough to put in a 3-year contract to test the water and to see genuine improvement, perhaps not complete success. They've lowered their risk, and the worst that can happen, is that we stutter again and then have another go. Personally I think we'll see improvement and then he'll be given a real crack at driving us forward.

Offline Toxfixiation

• Kopite
  • 90% of the time, it works EVERY time!!
« Reply #801 on: May 31, 2012, 10:30:56 am »
Last season in the Premiership we scored 47 goals and Swansea scored 44 goals.

Unless of course you are talking about goals against.

no i'm saying that Liverpool have different players than swansea
We could buy a squashed hedgehog,put him in a dress,a little makeup ,explode him with 200 pounds of C4 then scoop the bits up,put him into a pie,cook him for 45 minutes,let it cool and put it on the halfway line and he'd be a great replacement for Cole.

Online Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #802 on: May 31, 2012, 10:31:19 am »
Lawro is such a wanker.

Not really, he is mistaken but does represent a minority that are mired in the past and not just driven by it

He is a friend of Kenny, and still clearly upset by the way he was treated and not shy of a chance to have a dig. It's his mate and he is paid for an opinion which he gave. To those who don't like it, turn off.
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #803 on: May 31, 2012, 10:31:54 am »
At least it was the same answer :)

"RAWK servers fall down as more than 2 people agree on something" shocker

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #804 on: May 31, 2012, 10:32:01 am »

to the poster that asked how would you feel if this was Chelsea,s/Arsenal's/the Mancs's new manager i counter that question with, how do you think the swansea fans are feeling this morning?

Eh?  Are we supposed to set our bar to Swansea's level now?

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #805 on: May 31, 2012, 10:33:14 am »
Eh?  Are we supposed to set our bar to Swansea's level now?

#spectacularlymissedthepoint

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #806 on: May 31, 2012, 10:33:26 am »
The biggest gamble LFC ever took was hiring that shithouse Hodgson.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #807 on: May 31, 2012, 10:33:27 am »
no i'm saying that Liverpool have different players than swansea

And who amongs our prolific goalscorers would you suggest would significantly boost the goal tally?

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #808 on: May 31, 2012, 10:34:11 am »
that wasn't a gamble.  That was a sure-fire nailed-on nosedive

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #809 on: May 31, 2012, 10:34:44 am »
And who amongs our prolific goalscorers would you suggest would significantly boost the goal tally?

All of them should they actually get it on target rather than striking the woodwork. A little bit of 'luck' and the teams goal tally would have been good.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline eryder

• Main Stander
  • The end of the match.
« Reply #810 on: May 31, 2012, 10:35:25 am »

OW.......L 
Billy Beane is not my lover

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #811 on: May 31, 2012, 10:35:35 am »
that wasn't a gamble.  That was a sure-fire nailed-on nosedive

I agree but from the perspective of Lawrenson the dick - he was a bigger gamble as the mindset of the media (Great man, fantastic manager) and the mindet of the fans (Tit. Gobshite. English bellend) were at polar opposites.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #812 on: May 31, 2012, 10:38:24 am »
All of them should they actually get it on target rather than striking the woodwork. A little bit of 'luck' and the teams goal tally would have been good.

Gerrard
Suarez
Carroll

Have goals in them, no doubt about it.

Offline mccred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #813 on: May 31, 2012, 10:38:26 am »
Like many, not overwhelmed by Rogers appointment but I can't claim to know loads about him or Swansea's style, apart from the bits I've seen this season.
The more i read though, the more his way seems to be the Liverpool way. He's definitely no Hodgson appointment, who someone on here said, took the worse of English football to Europe and came back with it. Rodgers seems to have gone to Europe to learn from them.
Unlike the Hodge who I could never support from just about day one, Rodgers seems a good fit and the more I learn about his philosophy, the more i think he could be just what we need right know.
Remains to be seen who's brought in, in the technical director, DoF roles that FSG seem to want. reckon we'll know fairly soon now Swansea have let this cat out of the bag.
Hope everyone is in place before the Euro's start, so we can get the project moving.
Really on the playing side, I feel we only need 2 maybe 3 quality signings to be challenging for a 4th spot, an out and out goal scorer for one, fast tricky winger who can take a player on and has an end product. In defense we have very little wrong.
Not my first choice but I can genuinely see why FSG have gone for him. 100% behind him.
Be watching what the totally impartial fixture computer throws up for his first five games, the obligatory away game to either a newly promoted club or Spurs, then followed up with some tough games for are first 5 or 6. I do like a conspiracy! Let's hope he can overcome the FA bias, shit referee's and a press who do voodoo dances to try and ensure we fail.
Fuck um Brendan, YNWA.
Don't Ever,Ever Buy The S*n. Fucking Tory Scum.

FUCK OFF PUTIN!

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #814 on: May 31, 2012, 10:38:58 am »
EplIndex article on the Tiki-Taka approch used by Rodgers and how it may adapt to Liverpool, excellent read

http://www.eplindex.com/14987/brendan-rodgers-tactical-approach-liverpool-adapt-tikitaka.html?

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #815 on: May 31, 2012, 10:39:41 am »
Fair play to Callaghan for putting all this together back when all the signs were pointing to Martinez or Villas Boas.

It really sparked my interest in Rodgers.  Swansea played great football all season and in all these interviews he just comes across as a good guy.  PLus he has an existing relationship with Clarke.  FSG refusing to accept his resignation suddenly makes even more sense.

Offline Robo707

• Anny Roader
« Reply #816 on: May 31, 2012, 10:39:46 am »
I'm in.

He deserves our backing.

Lets build now, and look forward to next season - I'm pleasantly happy with the appointment. Bring it on!
L.F.C. - WITH PRIDE

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #817 on: May 31, 2012, 10:42:09 am »
I firmly believe it was wrong to part with Kenny, however, of all the candidates available, I think Brendan Rodgers is the best.  I include Rafa in that list because, with the best will in the world, our football style under Rafa was, for the main part, functional, and not a purist's dream except for the final third of the 2008-09 season. 

BR ticks all the boxes except for having managed at the highest levels, but that would have come at some point anyway, so why not with us?  Our most successful managers are Shanks, Bob, Joe, Kenny and Rafa.  Of those, only Rafa came into the job with real pedigree at the highest level.  BR does have the aura of potential greatness to come and ticks the key boxes:   

Football philosophy - tick
Ambitious - tick
Successful so far - tick
Tough streak - tick
Dignified - tick
Motivator - tick
Experience - tick (add that he's worked with and endorsed by proven successful managers at the highest level)
Readiness for the job - tick (my view at least)

So, while I have serious reservations about the way FSG has gone about its business, and they unfairly got rid of Kenny, having done so I do think that they've got the best man for the job.  We'll play good football, continuing the evolution in style that Kenny restarted.  We're likely to pass-pass-pass, which we'll all enjoy, and hopefully with a bit more bite than was possible with Swansea. 

He's also great with the press, while not being a brown-noser.  More likeable than Paul Lambert, but just as tough.  More menacing than Martinez, but still dignified. 

Also, I don't think it'll take long for BR to bed in and start getting results.  We're a much better team than most people believe, and with better finishing last season we were worthy of 15-20 more points.  Not a bad place from which to start, and I think BR won't interrupt the improvement that I believe we'd have achieved with Kenny. 

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #818 on: May 31, 2012, 10:44:35 am »
The biggest thing to me will be his dealings with the media, The LMA, the FA and other managers.

If he's not a toady and isn't a bum kissing idiot then he'll get my full support.

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #819 on: May 31, 2012, 10:50:50 am »
Gerrard
Suarez
Carroll

Have goals in them, no doubt about it.

Spidey, A discussion for somewhere else but The Gerrard of old is no more.  He may finish as he used to from nearer to goal but his 20-25 yard piledriver has become extinct.  The injuries have taken their toll.

Offline smegger56

• Main Stander
« Reply #820 on: May 31, 2012, 10:50:58 am »
no idea what is wrong with the Lawro article.

How can employing a manager who has failed with 2 clubs and achieved with one, very small, club, who has won nothing, never been in Europe etc be anything other than a gamble.

of course it could turn out to be a gamble that succeeds beyond our wildest dreams, it could turn out to be the greatest, shrewdest, cleverest appointment the club have made since Shankly.

but I struggle to see how anyone, hand on heart, can say that it is not a gamble.

our last manager was sacked for not getting top 4 and would have been sacked even if he had won both domestic trophies.  Assuming Chelsea strengthen and United and city do the same, we are fighting Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle for 4th with a manager who has never had that kind of pressure before.

Its an absolutley, massive, fucking huge gamble and one which I personally think was totally unnecessary (though I hope and pray it pays off all the same).

No one's disputing the gamble part. I think everyone can agree that it's a gamble. It doesn't take a genius or Lawro to know that. It's when he says that taking this gamble shows the owners don't know thge soul of Anfield. What? What garbage.

It's when he says that Hiring a manager like Rodgers is showing the club has lost it's soul and philosophy, which I think is a joke. He's shown that he wants to play pass and move football, which is a very strong LFC philosophy. So there, he talks out of his bum.

How does listing the previous managers (except for Rafa, for some reason) show the club has lost it's soul? Pasiley took over from shanks and had a great foundation to build on, like the following managers. It's when he says Souness wasn't a risk at the time because he knew the club prior. So? As that shows, it means bugger all. He was not good enough. Just because you've hired a young manager will not mean failure. It will not mean success either. It's a 'let's see'. Again, we all know it's a massive gamble.

In no way am I saying that Rodgers will be the next shanks. But I'm excited (and also nervous) about what he does over the summer.
When/If Kenny leaves, I'd only want one man at the helm... Rafael Benitez

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #821 on: May 31, 2012, 10:51:09 am »
The biggest thing to me will be his dealings with the media, The LMA, the FA and other managers.

If he's not a toady and isn't a bum kissing idiot then he'll get my full support.

good point.

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #822 on: May 31, 2012, 10:51:33 am »

Quote from: harleydanger on Today at 01:13:54 AM
Here's the thing, everyone talking about his wonderful footballing philosophy, it's actually not very far removed from Kenny's.

exactly. Kenny I've no doubts wouldve got us challenging top 4 this season, hopefully Rogers might just get us there.

I completely agree ...

But at least we've got a manager who also believes in playing good football, and who seems to be a tough nut. 

Offline smegger56

• Main Stander
« Reply #823 on: May 31, 2012, 10:53:19 am »
good point.

I hope this too. I hope that, when he plays UTD, he shows fergie that he is after his blood.
When/If Kenny leaves, I'd only want one man at the helm... Rafael Benitez

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #824 on: May 31, 2012, 10:53:52 am »
Cheers for the OP. Very interesting reading.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arts pics like ass in the morning
« Reply #825 on: May 31, 2012, 10:58:26 am »
From Twitter: Sky Sources: Liverpool stalling over compensation for Brendan Rodgers. Full details on #SSN

Should be nothing to worry about though right?
Rafa: Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Crowd: Spaniard, Spaniard, Spaniard...

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #826 on: May 31, 2012, 10:59:24 am »
Liverpool negotiating doesn't have the same drama to it I guess.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #827 on: May 31, 2012, 10:59:36 am »
From Twitter: Sky Sources: Liverpool stalling over compensation for Brendan Rodgers. Full details on #SSN

Sky know fuck all.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #828 on: May 31, 2012, 11:00:03 am »

Sky Sources said yesterday that Rodgers hadn't been offered the job, when the whole world knew he had and just a couple of hours before Huw Jenkins said he had.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #829 on: May 31, 2012, 11:00:18 am »

Lol - so nothing surprising there.  It's called negotiation, something that was missing from all our summer transfer activity last season.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #830 on: May 31, 2012, 11:00:30 am »

Sky wondering why it's not been announced yet, ignoring the "next 24 hours" statement from Swansea, looking for a bit of drama and 2+2=5.
Hopefully.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline WaltonRed

• Oct 4th: Don't be stupid there are no buyers. Oct 6th: These buyers. I don't like them. Oct 8th: ???
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #831 on: May 31, 2012, 11:00:33 am »
I firmly believe it was wrong to part with Kenny, however, of all the candidates available, I think Brendan Rodgers is the best.  I include Rafa in that list because, with the best will in the world, our football style under Rafa was, for the main part, functional, and not a purist's dream except for the final third of the 2008-09 season. 

BR ticks all the boxes except for having managed at the highest levels, but that would have come at some point anyway, so why not with us?  Our most successful managers are Shanks, Bob, Joe, Kenny and Rafa.  Of those, only Rafa came into the job with real pedigree at the highest level.  BR does have the aura of potential greatness to come and ticks the key boxes:   

Football philosophy - tick
Ambitious - tick
Successful so far - tick
Tough streak - tick
Dignified - tick
Motivator - tick
Experience - tick (add that he's worked with and endorsed by proven successful managers at the highest level)
Readiness for the job - tick (my view at least)

So, while I have serious reservations about the way FSG has gone about its business, and they unfairly got rid of Kenny, having done so I do think that they've got the best man for the job.  We'll play good football, continuing the evolution in style that Kenny restarted.  We're likely to pass-pass-pass, which we'll all enjoy, and hopefully with a bit more bite than was possible with Swansea. 

He's also great with the press, while not being a brown-noser.  More likeable than Paul Lambert, but just as tough.  More menacing than Martinez, but still dignified. 

Also, I don't think it'll take long for BR to bed in and start getting results.  We're a much better team than most people believe, and with better finishing last season we were worthy of 15-20 more points.  Not a bad place from which to start, and I think BR won't interrupt the improvement that I believe we'd have achieved with Kenny. 

I'm not sure you can tick experience.  Compared to the other managers "allegedly" on the shortlist he has the least experience of all. 
This doenst necessarily count against him (the only manager we have appointed with less experience won the double in his first season) but there is no way in the world you can say Rodgers is an experienced manager without making the term uttelry meaningless.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #832 on: May 31, 2012, 11:01:27 am »

I'm not worried. If we don't get him then it's not like we've lost a top class 'won it all' manager that would effortlessly get us winning the league in a few seasons. That ship has sailed. We're a midtable club with midtable aspirations at the moment. Whoever in the new manager is eventually - he'll have a mountain to climb.

If Rodgers comes in then I'll support him. If someone else comes in then I'll support them**

**Unless it's someone like Mourinho, O'Neill, Allardyce, Bruce etc. in which case they can get bobbled.

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #833 on: May 31, 2012, 11:01:42 am »
The soul of the club is it's fans and their relationship with the manager and players. Not the manager individually or the owners. The fans will give Rodgers time to get it right if the football played is the type of football we, as a club, aspire to. By all accounts that matches with his own approach.

Lawro spouts shite as we all know and is best ignored when he speaks about anything to do with LFC.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #834 on: May 31, 2012, 11:01:49 am »
duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
#lfc fans dont worry about stories of "stalling" mates, obvious this would happen. for all intensive purposes #rodgers is the new manager.

also

duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
re #lfc sporty director role. F.S.G had only 2 external #contenders (L.V.G & txiki) #fact and i'm told they will not abandon that structure.

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #835 on: May 31, 2012, 11:02:23 am »

translation: made up

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #836 on: May 31, 2012, 11:02:24 am »
I'm not worried. If we don't get him then it's not like we've lost a top class 'won it all' manager that would effortlessly get us winning the league in a few seasons. That ship has sailed. We're a midtable club with midtable aspirations at the moment. Whoever in the new manager is eventually - he'll have a mountain to climb.

Glass half full there mate or what?

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #837 on: May 31, 2012, 11:03:09 am »
Isn't it common knowledge that Rodgers put a £5m compensation clause into his contract ?  If so, there's little to negotiate.

Sky are just being Sky, totally out of the loop as far as our club is concerned.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #838 on: May 31, 2012, 11:04:06 am »
Glass half full there mate or what?

Nah. Just being honest. It's not the managers fault that we are where we are. He hasn't even arrived yet.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #839 on: May 31, 2012, 11:05:07 am »
Isn't it common knowledge that Rodgers put a £5m compensation clause into his contract ?  If so, there's little to negotiate.

Sky are just being Sky, totally out of the loop as far as our club is concerned.

Exactly. Rodgers actually stated when he signed a new contract with them that he insisted they put in a £5m release clause in order to protect Swansea if he leaves.

I really think we're just dragging it out until Friday to coincide with the Warrior sponsorship coming into effect.