Author Topic: Draft Towers  (Read 320607 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Draft Towers
« Reply #6280 on: February 14, 2024, 05:47:16 pm »
I'm more than happy to team up with my GOAT.  8)

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #6281 on: February 15, 2024, 03:11:22 am »
I'm more than happy to team up with my GOAT.  8)
Go on then.  Let's do that.

Hopefully I'll find some time to contribute

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6282 on: February 15, 2024, 09:55:51 pm »
Go on then.  Let's do that.

Hopefully I'll find some time to contribute

Good stuff, mate.

Upto 8 now. Pretty confident we'll get 16 once the thread is live and I've PMed a few others.

Probably start this beginning of March in the week before the City match, so we've got something to diatrsct us!
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #6283 on: February 18, 2024, 02:05:07 pm »
Yes, please
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6284 on: February 18, 2024, 03:06:02 pm »
Good stuff, mate.

Upto 8 now. Pretty confident we'll get 16 once the thread is live and I've PMed a few others.

Probably start this beginning of March in the week before the City match, so we've got something to diatrsct us!

Sarge said he was up for it.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6285 on: February 19, 2024, 03:53:20 pm »
Yes, please
Sarge said he was up for it.

Nice one, guys  :)  Might be on a work trip in early March, so probably go for the international break start time as planned.

Maybe good to start making a shortlist of who wants to join the commemoration Klopp draft?

So far we've got -

me
Samie + Prof
Popcorn
Tubby
Draex
Lastrador
Red1977
Hazell
Bobby
Sarge?
child-in-time

Where are all the regulars at - Nick, Hazell, Tubby, Draex, Chakan, Robbie, Bobby, Lastrador, Lone Star, Sheer, Mikey, Max, Nicholls etc  :wave

Start time: March?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 03:00:35 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6286 on: February 20, 2024, 06:39:10 pm »
If it starts around the international break, count me in.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6287 on: February 21, 2024, 03:00:21 pm »
If it starts around the international break, count me in.

Nice one. Added to the list  :)

Think that's probably the best time to start. It's two games a week from now until then, so we've got enough to keep us entertained before.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6288 on: February 22, 2024, 02:05:59 am »
I am down for a draft if someone can get it up and running

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #6289 on: March 10, 2024, 07:34:39 pm »
I'm in whatever it is.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6290 on: March 10, 2024, 07:36:57 pm »
Yeah break is coming up after this weeks Europa and FA Cup game. Betty do your thing.  :wave

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6291 on: March 10, 2024, 10:15:56 pm »
Yeah break is coming up after this weeks Europa and FA Cup game. Betty do your thing.  :wave

Yep, I was planning to get a thread up this week so we can finalise sign ups. Gives everyone a bit of tme to research categories too.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #6292 on: March 11, 2024, 05:17:58 pm »
Yep, I was planning to get a thread up this week so we can finalise sign ups. Gives everyone a bit of tme to research categories too.

What is it?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6293 on: March 11, 2024, 08:40:39 pm »
What is it?

Jurgen Klopp draft! Basically 11 categories to pick players from based on his career.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #6294 on: March 11, 2024, 11:23:09 pm »
Jurgen Klopp draft! Basically 11 categories to pick players from based on his career.

Cool PM when its on.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6295 on: April 2, 2024, 09:35:50 pm »
For starters, a big thank you to Betty for running the Klopp tribute draft.  It was great fun to be back in the drafting community and it took an exciting concept to drag me back in (and a lot of PMs from Samie).

I've been playing around a bit with a simulator for a football draft.  Some of you may remember the Test Cricket Sim I ran during the first lockdown, which gave us all a bit of an outlet when sport was cancelled.  It seemed like a lot of people enjoyed it, and it gave me some entertainment.

I'm testing the water a bit at the moment to see if there's an appetite for a draft where we get to play matches against each other through the simulator.  I'm thinking we run a full league campaign (as I can't be bothered to code extra time and penalties for a knock out), but before I decide on that, I need to know how many teams I might be looking at.

The sim is pretty basic (think Championship Manager 1 for those of you who are old enough), but seems to produce fairly reasonable scores.  I've played around with a few formations and player combos and it seems like it'll do the job.

In my next post, I'll post an example of a match I've just run which replays our match against Brighton so you can get a feel for the output.  Feel free to give feedback on it (even if it's constructive criticism) and let me know if you're interesting in entering a team (or if you're not).

I might also need a hand from someone to help administer it if it takes off, so if you're up for that, please drop me a PM (I'm thinking someone to help to update a league table - that sort of thing).

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6296 on: April 2, 2024, 09:40:58 pm »
Line Up for Liverpool : 4-3-3
                                 Kelleher

Bradley        van Dijk        Quansah        Gomez

Szoboszlai        Endo        Mac Allister

Salah        Nunez        Diaz

Line Up for Brighton : 4-2-3-1
                                Verbruggen

Dunk        van Hecke        Estupinan        Veltman

Baleba        Gross

Lamptey        Moder        Andingra

Welbeck

The referee tosses the coin for the ball: the kick-off will be taken by Welbeck

Gomez flashes the ball through the six yard box, but it misses everyone (1 min)

Quansah is hacked down from behind by Welbeck. This is a great position to put some quality into the box (4 min)

Salah looks most likely to take this... (4 min)

van Dijk with an imperious header!!!  Powered past the 'keeper.  Goal!!! (4 min)

Goal Scored by  van Dijk  for  Liverpool  on  (4 min)

Score: Liverpool 1  -  0 Brighton

Salah carries it forward and cuts inside onto his stronger foot! It's a great effort, but flies narrowly wide of the far post (11 min)

Lamptey carries it forward and cuts inside onto his stronger foot! It's a great effort, but flies narrowly wide of the far post (13 min)

Bradley is hacked down from behind by Welbeck. This is a great position to put some quality into the box (13 min)

Salah looks most likely to take this... (13 min)

van Dijk wins the header, but it's safely gathered by the 'keeper (13 min)

Salah picks up the loose ball and lets it fly from 25 yards, but the goalkeeper is well positioned and makes the save (14 min)

Gomez turns back inside his marker and clips it over to Diaz(14 min)

Diaz with a heavy first touch and ends up blasting wide (14 min)

Lamptey with a heavy first touch and ends up blasting wide (15 min)

Diaz carries it forward and cuts inside onto his stronger foot! It's a great effort, but flies narrowly wide of the far post (16 min)

Lamptey with a heavy first touch and ends up blasting wide (16 min)

Moder runs in behind down the wing and hits a first time cross, but  Gomez rises highest to beat his man (20 min)

Baleba!!!! You Beauty!!! What a hit son, what a hit!!!  Blasted in from long range. Goal!!! (21 min)

Goal Scored by  Baleba  for  Brighton  on  (21 min)

Score: Liverpool 1  -  1 Brighton

Lamptey is dispossessed by van Dijk(21 min)

Salah carries it forward and cuts inside onto his stronger foot! It's a great effort, but flies narrowly wide of the far post (25 min)

Diaz runs in behind down the wing and hits a first time cross, but  Estupinan rises highest to beat his man (26 min)

Bradley turns back inside his marker and clips it over to Nunez(27 min)

Nunez with a heavy first touch and ends up blasting wide (27 min)

Diaz carries it forward and cuts inside onto his stronger foot! It's a great effort, but flies narrowly wide of the far post (30 min)

Gross is hacked down from behind by Szoboszlai. This is a great position to put some quality into the box (30 min)

Gross looks most likely to take this... (30 min)

van Dijk is in just the right place to head that away (30 min)

Welbeck with some great movement, but his effort is acrobatically saved by the 'keeper at full stretch (32 min)

Szoboszlai picks up the loose ball and lets it fly from 25 yards, but the goalkeeper is well positioned and makes the save (37 min)

Welbeck comes together in the area with Kelleher the ref points to the spot! Penalty for  Brighton (40 min)

Baleba looks at the referee as he waits for the whistle. Then fires it into the top corner!(40 min)

Goal Scored by  Baleba  for  Brighton  on  (40 min)

Score: Liverpool 1  -  2 Brighton

Nunez is hacked down from behind by Baleba. This is a great position to put some quality into the box (43 min)

Salah looks most likely to take this... (43 min)

van Dijk with an imperious header!!!  Powered past the 'keeper.  Goal!!! (43 min)

Goal Scored by  van Dijk  for  Liverpool  on  (43 min)

Score: Liverpool 2  -  2 Brighton

The referee blows the halftime whistle!

Half Time Score: Liverpool 2  -  2 Brighton

The match resumes and the ball is with Diaz

Nunez is hacked down from behind by Baleba. This is a great position to put some quality into the box (45 min)

Salah looks most likely to take this... (45 min)

van Dijk wins the header, but it's safely gathered by the 'keeper (45 min)

Moder carries it forward and cuts inside onto his stronger foot! It's a great effort, but flies narrowly wide of the far post (47 min)

Welbeck carries it forward and cuts inside onto his stronger foot! It's a great effort, but flies narrowly wide of the far post (51 min)

Lamptey takes it past Gomez with good footwork (53 min)

Mac Allister!!!! You Beauty!!! What a hit son, what a hit!!!  Blasted in from long range. Goal!!! (54 min)

Goal Scored by  Mac Allister  for  Liverpool  on  (54 min)

Score: Liverpool 3  -  2 Brighton

Lamptey runs in behind down the wing and hits a first time cross, but  Bradley rises highest to beat his man (54 min)

Diaz flashes the ball through the six yard box, but it misses everyone (56 min)

Andingra with some great movement, but his effort is acrobatically saved by the 'keeper at full stretch (57 min)

Estupinan is dispossessed by Quansah(59 min)

Salah runs in behind down the wing and hits a first time cross, but  Estupinan rises highest to beat his man (60 min)

Veltman is hacked down from behind by Diaz. This is a great position to put some quality into the box (61 min)

Gross looks most likely to take this... (61 min)

van Dijk is in just the right place to head that away (61 min)

Gomez runs in behind down the wing and hits a first time cross, but  Estupinan rises highest to beat his man (63 min)

van Hecke is hacked down from behind by Diaz. This is a great position to put some quality into the box (63 min)

Gross looks most likely to take this... (63 min)

van Dijk is in just the right place to head that away (63 min)

Salah with a great first touch to open his body, and fires across the 'keeper inside the far post.  Goal!!! (63 min)

Goal Scored by  Salah  for  Liverpool  on  (63 min)

Score: Liverpool 4  -  2 Brighton

Diaz flashes the ball through the six yard box, but it misses everyone (65 min)

Estupinan is hacked down from behind by Diaz. This is a great position to put some quality into the box (66 min)

Gross swings it the freekick, but it's too high for anyone to reach.  Wasted chance. (66 min)

Diaz picks up the loose ball and lets it fly from 25 yards, but the goalkeeper is well positioned and makes the save (67 min)

Szoboszlai carries it forward and cuts inside onto his stronger foot! It's a great effort, but flies narrowly wide of the far post (68 min)

Moder turns back inside his marker and clips it over to Andingra(73 min)

Andingra with a heavy first touch and ends up blasting wide (73 min)

Nunez with a heavy first touch and ends up blasting wide (74 min)

Moder is dispossessed by van Dijk(80 min)

Bradley is hacked down from behind by Welbeck. This is a great position to put some quality into the box (81 min)

Mac Allister swings it the freekick, but it's too high for anyone to reach.  Wasted chance. (81 min)

Moder picks up the loose ball and lets it fly from 25 yards, but the goalkeeper is well positioned and makes the save (82 min)

Lamptey with a heavy first touch and ends up blasting wide (84 min)

Baleba takes it past Mac Allister with good footwork (85 min)

Andingra carries it forward and cuts inside onto his stronger foot! It's a great effort, but flies narrowly wide of the far post (86 min)

Gomez flashes the ball through the six yard box, but it misses everyone (86 min)

Nunez picks up the loose ball and lets it fly from 25 yards, but the goalkeeper is well positioned and makes the save (89 min)

Szoboszlai carries it forward and cuts inside onto his stronger foot! It's a great effort, but flies narrowly wide of the far post (89 min)

That's the full time whistle!

Full Time Score: Liverpool 4  -  2 Brighton

Goals Scored by van Dijk, van Dijk, Mac Allister, Salah - Baleba, Baleba

Category Liverpool Brighton
Goal 4 2
Shot 15 13
Shot on Target 10 5
Successful Pass 331 224
Missed Pass 107 100
Successful Cross 2 1
Missed Crossed 7 2
Duel Won 27 14
Duel Lost 14 27
Fouls Committed 10 12
Saves 3 4
Interceptions 10 8

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6297 on: April 2, 2024, 10:41:05 pm »
Great work, Prof. Glad I could help reignite that drafting fire.

Are there any other stats that could potentially be shared? Player ratings could be interesting for people to see for example. If you're doing a league season you might like to give people the option to draft a (small) squad too, so then people can switch up their tactics in between matches. Though I don't know if you want to complicate the model any further. I appreciate it's probably a lot of work already.

Also wondering what form the draft will take? All-time? A specific era?

I probably won't take part, but I will watch with interest in any case  :)

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6298 on: April 2, 2024, 11:12:26 pm »
Haha, nice one Prof. And towards the end we could do RAWK XI vs Pele's All Stars or something.  ;D

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #6299 on: April 3, 2024, 12:07:02 am »
I'd be tempted to play depending on timing. Seems an interesting concept.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #6300 on: April 3, 2024, 10:43:48 am »
Yep indeed. Enjoyed the cricket version. Well in, Prof
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #6301 on: April 4, 2024, 01:41:30 pm »
For starters, a big thank you to Betty for running the Klopp tribute draft.  It was great fun to be back in the drafting community and it took an exciting concept to drag me back in (and a lot of PMs from Samie).

I've been playing around a bit with a simulator for a football draft.  Some of you may remember the Test Cricket Sim I ran during the first lockdown, which gave us all a bit of an outlet when sport was cancelled.  It seemed like a lot of people enjoyed it, and it gave me some entertainment.

I'm testing the water a bit at the moment to see if there's an appetite for a draft where we get to play matches against each other through the simulator.  I'm thinking we run a full league campaign (as I can't be bothered to code extra time and penalties for a knock out), but before I decide on that, I need to know how many teams I might be looking at.

The sim is pretty basic (think Championship Manager 1 for those of you who are old enough), but seems to produce fairly reasonable scores.  I've played around with a few formations and player combos and it seems like it'll do the job.

In my next post, I'll post an example of a match I've just run which replays our match against Brighton so you can get a feel for the output.  Feel free to give feedback on it (even if it's constructive criticism) and let me know if you're interesting in entering a team (or if you're not).

I might also need a hand from someone to help administer it if it takes off, so if you're up for that, please drop me a PM (I'm thinking someone to help to update a league table - that sort of thing).
In for that

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6302 on: April 5, 2024, 01:33:10 am »
So Prof's simulator draft next?

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6303 on: April 5, 2024, 09:56:16 am »
So Prof's simulator draft next?
We need to decide on a selection method.  I think something like a sheep draft would be most inclusive as it stops the need to be online at specific times.

Any ideas on format? When we get that decided, we can then see if there's interest. We only have 4 at the moment.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6304 on: April 5, 2024, 10:03:29 am »
We need to decide on a selection method.  I think something like a sheep draft would be most inclusive as it stops the need to be online at specific times.

Any ideas on format? When we get that decided, we can then see if there's interest. We only have 4 at the moment.

This is the way. Make a good draft first and the people will come.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6305 on: April 5, 2024, 10:16:10 am »
I'm in, finally keepers are useful :D

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6306 on: April 5, 2024, 11:30:19 am »
I'm in, finally keepers are useful :D
Tell Juan Bagur Coll that he didn't cost me a draft victory  ;D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6307 on: April 5, 2024, 01:27:25 pm »

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6308 on: April 5, 2024, 03:40:49 pm »
The legend

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=319285.msg13554938#msg13554938
Ah. Good times.

I just explained to my gf why I laughed out loud reading that... I'm taking her silence as just being very impressed

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6309 on: April 5, 2024, 07:21:11 pm »
She'll never understand you like I we do mate.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6310 on: April 7, 2024, 06:10:07 pm »
GET THE SIMULATOR READY PROF!

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6311 on: April 7, 2024, 09:27:29 pm »
GET THE SIMULATOR READY PROF!
We need a format first. Any ideas?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6312 on: April 7, 2024, 11:46:46 pm »
Whichever works best mate.  :wave

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6313 on: April 8, 2024, 03:00:58 pm »
I think if Prof is running all the simulations, which is a lot of work already, one of you lot should run the draft  :wave

Not it, because I ran the last one  :D

Like he says, first thing is to come up with a good draft idea. Sheep draft? All-time? Any restrictions? etc

Then Prof can focus on getting the model ready while all the players are being drafted.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6314 on: April 8, 2024, 10:52:27 pm »
I think if Prof is running all the simulations, which is a lot of work already, one of you lot should run the draft  :wave

Not it, because I ran the last one  :D

Like he says, first thing is to come up with a good draft idea. Sheep draft? All-time? Any restrictions? etc

Then Prof can focus on getting the model ready while all the players are being drafted.
Is the right answer. Thanks Betty.

I think a sheep or domino style draft is most inclusive and leads to a bit of drama you see who you get.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6315 on: April 8, 2024, 11:06:22 pm »
Go with Sheeps mate.   ;D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6316 on: April 8, 2024, 11:56:44 pm »
Is the right answer. Thanks Betty.

I think a sheep or domino style draft is most inclusive and leads to a bit of drama you see who you get.

I think Domino drafts are normally in snake format.

Sheep is probably the best course if you want inclusive. I don't mind helping come up with criteria, but I'll be too busy to run it and/or take part in a long term draft format.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6317 on: April 9, 2024, 07:35:38 am »
Could pick a manager first then pick your team to suit their main formation, I’d keep the exclusion list and maybe extend to remove the likes of Maldini. Zanetti, Costa etc. or we could go crazy and remove the entire Pele fifa 100..

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6318 on: April 9, 2024, 09:51:59 am »
I like those ideas.  One that's just come to my mind is, could we do something like a fantasy football scenario.  You get a budget and have to pick a team.  We assign prices to players and add weight to the biggest names to prevent people having too many of the top tier.

It would need some leg work on the player values etc.  But conceptually everyone could have the same player. If you want Pele, you can have Pele.  You just need to make your team value balance.  Just an idea not fully thought through, let me know what you think.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6319 on: April 9, 2024, 10:20:53 am »
I like those ideas.  One that's just come to my mind is, could we do something like a fantasy football scenario.  You get a budget and have to pick a team.  We assign prices to players and add weight to the biggest names to prevent people having too many of the top tier.

It would need some leg work on the player values etc.  But conceptually everyone could have the same player. If you want Pele, you can have Pele.  You just need to make your team value balance.  Just an idea not fully thought through, let me know what you think.

This is a good idea, could easily get the data of ff for current players, then just add the elite at the same prices as Haaland/Salah etc.