Author Topic: The state Of The States. How Has America Got To Now?  (Read 330586 times)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Kill the humourless

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The state Of The States. How Has America Got To Now?
« Reply #6001 on: March 20, 2024, 01:18:47 pm »
The parallels between the Jewish Ghettos in eastern Europe and the current ghettoisation of Gaza are pretty grim. Granted that the worsening of the situation for Gaza recently has been due to the retaliation of Israel to the 7th Oct Hamas attacks but it was started long before that.

Push a defenceless people into an ever decreasing area with no sanitation, medical care or basic aid and slowly starve them into obliteration. It's crazy that it's less than 100 years since Nazi Germany did this to Polish Jews in cities like Warsaw and Krakow and yet here we are again. And the great liberator from the 1940s, the USA under the leadership of Joe Biden, not only stands idly by, but supplies the arms to make it happen. The US is a basket case at this stage, beyond morally corrupt. As for Israel, they've stopped short of gas chambers, that's the only credit they can be given.

It's beyond an atrocity, it is genocide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASvYzbIysAY
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6002 on: March 23, 2024, 08:02:45 am »
Another Republican, Gallagher, deciding to retire early. That reduces the House majority to one. Oh, and MTG has moved to vacate Johnson as speaker, because he wants to stop a government shut down. ::)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6003 on: March 23, 2024, 09:24:10 am »
Another Republican, Gallagher, deciding to retire early. That reduces the House majority to one. Oh, and MTG has moved to vacate Johnson as speaker, because he wants to stop a government shut down. ::)
Never mind, aye.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6004 on: March 23, 2024, 05:41:38 pm »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6005 on: March 23, 2024, 10:16:06 pm »

The deliciousness of the MAGA doing this to the GOP in a year when there 435 House Seats and 33-34 Senate are up for grabs.

Old time GOP voters might just give up.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6006 on: March 23, 2024, 11:06:25 pm »
https://www.thedailybeast.com/former-rnc-chairwoman-ronna-mcdaniel-joins-nbc-news-as-commentator.No matter what they do or say these fuckers still get gigs.

I read in the paper today that George Santos was running as an independent to try to win back his congress seat. Where did he get the idea that serial liars facing serious criminal charges were welcome in government? Naturally the GOP is indignant.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6007 on: March 24, 2024, 12:28:48 pm »
I read in the paper today that George Santos was running as an independent to try to win back his congress seat. Where did he get the idea that serial liars facing serious criminal charges were welcome in government? Naturally the GOP is indignant.
what's hilarious is he's leaving the Republican party because he finds "their behaviour and lying to voters embarrassing"  :lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6009 on: March 25, 2024, 05:05:00 pm »
I have an aunt that lives in the US that I'm Facebook friends with.  I hardly ever check Facebook so it's really noticeable how she's disappeared down the rabbit hole - I had a look today at her recent posts and it's been escalating for over a year.

She's had two bad car accidents in the past decade and, in her view, has received poor healthcare both times such that she's now got long-term health issues that aren't being dealt with at all.  It sounds really shitty and to top it off she's seemingly lost her family home due to healthcare costs and being unable to work.

The problem in her view?  Immigrants coming to the US and getting everything given to them (she goes into this in excruciating and wildly inaccurate detail)

The solution in her view?  Trump.  The hostility towards Biden in recent posts is off the scale and there's a load of parroting of Trump's attack lines.

She's been dealt a bad hand and is clearly incredibly angry that there's no system to support her.  I don't really understand what she thinks a Trump-led government would do for her though.  The US system celebrates 'winners' and abandons 'losers', everyone thinks it's great until fate swaps them from category A to category B.

Online AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #6010 on: March 25, 2024, 05:31:50 pm »
I have an aunt that lives in the US that I'm Facebook friends with.  I hardly ever check Facebook so it's really noticeable how she's disappeared down the rabbit hole - I had a look today at her recent posts and it's been escalating for over a year.

She's had two bad car accidents in the past decade and, in her view, has received poor healthcare both times such that she's now got long-term health issues that aren't being dealt with at all.  It sounds really shitty and to top it off she's seemingly lost her family home due to healthcare costs and being unable to work.

The problem in her view?  Immigrants coming to the US and getting everything given to them (she goes into this in excruciating and wildly inaccurate detail)

The solution in her view?  Trump.  The hostility towards Biden in recent posts is off the scale and there's a load of parroting of Trump's attack lines.

She's been dealt a bad hand and is clearly incredibly angry that there's no system to support her.  I don't really understand what she thinks a Trump-led government would do for her though.  The US system celebrates 'winners' and abandons 'losers', everyone thinks it's great until fate swaps them from category A to category B.

I've seen that before with people brought up in a middle class environment expecting the American dream of a comfortable life and then either fail to achieve their potential through lack of effort or some external factor like health like your Aunt, then stay home, watch TV channels or right wing internet sites that just blame 'others' for their lot in life, and then broadcast their opinions to everyone through social media in some sad cry for attention

I'm sure England has the same though, especially during and post Brexit. Sunak at this point is the mad Uncle who blames the boat people for everything and that things will be alright after the boat people stop coming.

Online Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6011 on: March 25, 2024, 05:43:41 pm »

He tells the public he's going to "Make America Great Again". Now you and I sitting over here can scoff at that however it seems to offer people some kind of hope for something better, a brighter future.

What do the democrats offer? Well it seems it's just more of the same, keep the economy steady and growth will come via the natural dynamics of capitalism. It's too abstract and meaningless to most people, especially those who need a radical uplift in their personal fortune.

There's a reason why conmen, snake oil salesmen and the like prey upon the down at heel; they are more susceptible to fanciful tales because of their desperation. They don't want to hear about GDP going up by 3% or average incomes going up 4%. It means nothing to them and most of it goes into the hands of the very rich anyway.

Trump has many many faults but he understands marketing very well and he understands the limitations of many people and he tailors his language and messages so it can be understood by everyone.

Online GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6012 on: March 25, 2024, 10:26:45 pm »
I agree that is the impression people get, and it's so frustrating because Biden is the one who has legislated huge investment in infrastructure, in the green economy, in lower drug prices, in semiconductors and microchips. These are the moves that provide a path to the so-called American Dream and a safety net for those who suffer misfortune. Trump only offers bitterness and golden age thinking. Did America become great by looking backwards, rejecting modernity and insisting on keeping things as they were in my daddy's daddy's day? Fuck no! It's the boldness to forge ahead with ingenuity that makes people thrive. The Democrats need to push this narrative and they need to push it now, because the right wing are masters of setting the tone: if people on RAWK think Democrats are just a plus ca change party of the rich, then what's an uneducated man working in a factory with Rush Limbaugh on the radio going to think?

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6013 on: March 26, 2024, 07:13:06 pm »
If I did vote I be a democrat since the day I moved there in 1994 and over the years I saw the likes of Clinton, Bush and Obama do their bit while trying to keep their party cronies happy. It's definitely a system that benefits the lobbyists on both sides while throwing the odd crumb to the ordinary people. The Dems threw a few more that's for sure but the country is crying out for a third party who are immune to the lobbyists money. It's probably why Trump, as dumb as they come, attracted voters as he tried to walk the walk that's he above the money men. Unfortunately for the country he was a clown that probably was funded by Russia, China n co as he left chaos wherever he went. Perfect for those pulling his reins. The country's politics basically mean a third party would require billions to get elected which is the crux of the country's problems. The money dictates who's running the country and you can see the majority of people suffering due to the greed. The homeless n drug issues were everywhere as saw it yards from homes worth $1m n more in my old neighbourhood. That wasn't there ten years ago or at least as prominent which was an eye opener. The country is tethering towards some serious issues and unfortunately it's too late for many as the system doesn't give a fuk about them.

Not sure why this was moved to the bridge collapse thread
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6014 on: March 26, 2024, 08:54:49 pm »
My fault, I did a merge to capture the discussion, sorry mate.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #6015 on: March 27, 2024, 12:02:45 pm »
The Attorney General of Texas has to take legal ethics classes as part of a plea deal. Texas is just taking the piss at this point.

https://www.kut.org/politics/2024-03-26/texas-attorney-general-ken-paxton-cuts-deal-to-have-fraud-charges-dropped-trial-canceled

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6016 on: March 27, 2024, 12:04:40 pm »
The Attorney General of Texas has to take legal ethics classes as part of a plea deal. Texas is just taking the piss at this point.

https://www.kut.org/politics/2024-03-26/texas-attorney-general-ken-paxton-cuts-deal-to-have-fraud-charges-dropped-trial-canceled
and he probably won't show up - just send a secretary to take notes for him.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6017 on: March 27, 2024, 01:48:38 pm »
In news surprising to nobody surely, Democrat Marilyn Land, in Deep Red Alabama, won a Alabama State House seat 63:37 (a seat that went 53:45 to Trump in 2020 and hasn't voted Blue in a Presidential election since 1976 and hasn't had a Blue representative at *ANY* level since at least 1990).  Purely by opposing the Alabama SC decision to outlaw abortion.  Something Trump supported (and would look to enact a federal ban at 16 weeks at a min, if not more) - seems like a *LOT* of people will vote for any Blue politican that comes out in favour of pro-choice and not banning Abortion.  Huh.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6018 on: March 27, 2024, 02:11:44 pm »
Biden & Co just need to keep hammering Trump on Abortion and Health Insurance/Benefits, also let his social media poke at his character/criminal issues in order to get some reaction.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6019 on: March 27, 2024, 07:08:40 pm »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68670588. Ronna McDaniel out of NBC,wonder what her pay off was? NBC boss still doing the hear from both sides stuff with this.

Online GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6020 on: March 27, 2024, 08:48:27 pm »
In news surprising to nobody surely, Democrat [...] won a Alabama State House seat

I am a wee bit surprised, I must admit!

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6022 on: March 28, 2024, 09:25:59 pm »
I am a wee bit surprised, I must admit!

It's very surprising. I hear the Democrats also won a Red house seat in Florida as well.

Politics in the US is shifting. I think Roe vs Wade could prove to be the same disaster for Republicans as Brexit has been for the Tories. Makes a great talking point, something to rally everyone around - but be careful what you wish for.

The Democrat in Alabama ran on a platform of contraceptives and reproductive rights, and crushed their opponent by 30 points. The Republicans have no money to campaign. Nothing is set in stone right now.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6023 on: March 29, 2024, 08:13:19 am »
It's very surprising. I hear the Democrats also won a Red house seat in Florida as well.

Politics in the US is shifting. I think Roe vs Wade could prove to be the same disaster for Republicans as Brexit has been for the Tories. Makes a great talking point, something to rally everyone around - but be careful what you wish for.

The Democrat in Alabama ran on a platform of contraceptives and reproductive rights, and crushed their opponent by 30 points. The Republicans have no money to campaign. Nothing is set in stone right now.
And two years ago, the same Democrat lost by 7 points in the same seat. That's one hell of a swing.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6024 on: March 29, 2024, 10:28:15 am »
And two years ago, the same Democrat lost by 7 points in the same seat. That's one hell of a swing.

Bloody hell.

You don't get a swing like that because Republican voters just stay home, like we've seen in a lot of safe Tory seat by-elections recently. That's Republicans flipping. Probably white women aged 20-50.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6025 on: March 29, 2024, 02:44:41 pm »
I mean, under 6,000 voted in this election compared to over 14,000 when Lands last ran and lost in 2022. I’m no statistician, but seems like a lot of voters stayed home.

Trump and the GOP are in trouble for a host of reasons but there’s very little to glean from this result in particular IMO.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 02:46:12 pm by Lone Star Red »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6026 on: March 29, 2024, 02:49:40 pm »
I mean, under 6,000 voted in this election compared to over 14,000 when Lands last ran and lost in 2022. I’m no statistician, but seems like a lot of voters stayed home.

Trump and the GOP are in trouble for a host of reasons but there’s very little to glean from this result in particular IMO.
Try gleaning this: those same voters might abstain from the presidential, congressional and senate elections. At the very least, it is reasonable to assume some of them will.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6027 on: March 29, 2024, 05:57:48 pm »

I dunno which part of the country she's in but when you've got reps like this,https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/politics/fact-check-matt-maddock-invaders-gonzaga-madness-detroit/index.html.Punching down is always an easy out.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6028 on: March 29, 2024, 06:56:20 pm »

I assume that fact that this was a special election has heavily impacted turnout.

In 2022 there were elections for US House & Senate, State House & Senate, and Governor all at the same time (and probably other bits as well).

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6029 on: March 29, 2024, 10:54:15 pm »

I assume that fact that this was a special election has heavily impacted turnout.

In 2022 there were elections for US House & Senate, State House & Senate, and Governor all at the same time (and probably other bits as well).

Yes I do know it was a special election, which only backs up my point that there’s really not much to take away from this.

Case in point, Doug Jones.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online gemofabird

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6030 on: March 30, 2024, 07:14:50 pm »
Joe Biden has declared Easter Sunday “Transgender Day of Visibility"
The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6031 on: March 30, 2024, 11:41:24 pm »

Totally incorrect. In 2021 he announced 31st March as 'Transgender Day of Visibility' and by chance the Christian calendar has Easter Sunday fall on the same date this year.

Let's bring this back up as an issue 2086.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 12:00:43 am by BarryCrocker »
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6033 on: March 31, 2024, 12:01:02 pm »
^ great news, ordinary people in the U.S are not going to stand for this modern Republican party and it's far-right, anti-abortion, crazy evangelical coalition.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6034 on: March 31, 2024, 12:01:46 pm »
Improving picture for Biden re polls

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-polls-swing-state-donald-trump-2024-election-1883535
that excellent SOTU address made a lot of people (and the effing media!) change their perception of him.  keep it going, Joe.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #6035 on: March 31, 2024, 06:55:56 pm »
Improving picture for Biden re polls

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-polls-swing-state-donald-trump-2024-election-1883535

Dont want to be a naysayer but those mid March polls, while very encouraging at the time appear to have been outliers. Perhaps Joe got a bounce because of the SOTU, but the polls since have shown Trump ahead in most of the swing states.

Good news is that the  election is not until November but its hard not to be concerned given what is at stake.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6036 on: March 31, 2024, 09:33:20 pm »
The joys of running for the WH , which starts about two years before the actual election. Must be the most ridiculous election process out there. Even now polls seven months prior to the election is totally irrelevant. God knows what could happen between now and then.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6037 on: April 1, 2024, 06:33:45 pm »

Are you pointing that out as a good thing or a how very dare he on jesus's rebirthday?(alleged)' For most of us it was just Sunday March 31st.But yeah Trans visability has been on that date since 2009 ish.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6038 on: April 1, 2024, 06:35:28 pm »

No he didn't.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline KMKYWAP

• Kemlynite
« Reply #6039 on: April 2, 2024, 10:30:12 am »
The joys of running for the WH , which starts about two years before the actual election. Must be the most ridiculous election process out there. Even now polls seven months prior to the election is totally irrelevant. God knows what could happen between now and then.

One thing we do know is that one of the candidates is up in court at least twice and will be a convicted criminal before November.