Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 775485 times)

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Joseph Gomez
« Reply #1480 on: October 22, 2017, 06:02:27 pm »
Has to start his transition to CB now, and should probably be first choice already to be honest

He hasn't yet proved that he's not good enough, which is more than can be said for the alternatives

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1481 on: October 22, 2017, 06:06:47 pm »
He's done quite well so far this season.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1482 on: October 22, 2017, 06:08:31 pm »
Quite frankly, if our experienced players are making so many mistakes, we may as well blood our top youngsters and let them get their mistakes out of their system and develop in the team. A bit like Spurs! We could certainly take a leaf out of their book.

I think we may start to see more of Gomez, Trent, Grujic, Woodburn and Karius. Let them all develop together.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Reese

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1483 on: October 22, 2017, 06:08:49 pm »
We will lose the aerial dominance of Lovren, but vastly improve passing, ability on the ball and pace.

Hope to see him more.

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1484 on: October 22, 2017, 06:11:27 pm »
Start him.

Disappointing that this is the level we find ourselves at but so be it.

Offline Harris96

• Kopite
« Reply #1485 on: October 22, 2017, 06:11:41 pm »
We will lose the aerial dominance of Lovren, but vastly improve passing, ability on the ball and pace.

Hope to see him more.

'We will lose the aerial dominance of Lovren'   ;D

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1486 on: October 26, 2017, 12:12:29 am »

Hope to see him more.

:lmao

I know what you are saying but quite an ironic time to make that statement!

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1487 on: October 26, 2017, 12:14:38 am »
Gomez is fast as hell.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1488 on: October 26, 2017, 12:19:47 am »
Quite frankly, if our experienced players are making so many mistakes, we may as well blood our top youngsters and let them get their mistakes out of their system and develop in the team. A bit like Spurs! We could certainly take a leaf out of their book.

I think we may start to see more of Gomez, Trent, Grujic, Woodburn and Karius. Let them all develop together.

Not sure it works that way. It would be fine if there was very little expectation on the players. The problem is that they are under immense scrutiny and if they make a mistake that costs us points then they are pilloried by everyone including some of the fans that called for their inclusion. This ends up being detrimental to their progress because it shatters their confidence. Part of the reason why they look very good as youngsters is because there is no expectation upon them, and they are given the confidence to go out and just play their natural game without worrying too much.

I agree Gomez should feature more because he's been reasonably solid and although he is not suited as a RB I think he would actually be pretty good at CB. I don't think he'd be entirely error prone and he has the physicality and pace to not require the same degree of protection that Lovren, Klavan or Matip need by our CMs.

I think Grujic, Woodburn and TAA are still a bit raw. They are making good progress featuring regularly at the U23 level and I would hope that they start in the Maribor home game and perhaps some other cup ties as the season goes on. Often such players have more of a role to play at Xmas or in the final months of the season when fixtures are very congested and injuries and suspensions have a role to play.

Not sure on Karius. I think he's not good enough. Would rather we went with Ward.

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #1489 on: October 26, 2017, 10:39:45 am »
Has to start his transition to CB now, and should probably be first choice already to be honest

He hasn't yet proved that he's not good enough, which is more than can be said for the alternatives

If he's starting his transition, he needs to do it in the 23s or on loan because he'll not be afforded the luxury of time with the Wums on here. I personally don't think he's ready even in the games he played at 23 level when getting back from his injury he was ruinous in his decision making and positioning. He is a work in progress who can cover right back for Clyney. Don't want to kill his Liverpool career by exposing him at centre back yet.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1490 on: October 26, 2017, 10:58:42 am »
yeh, we will really miss, his flying superman ,attempted headers  :no

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #1491 on: October 26, 2017, 11:38:47 am »
If he's starting his transition, he needs to do it in the 23s or on loan because he'll not be afforded the luxury of time with the Wums on here. I personally don't think he's ready even in the games he played at 23 level when getting back from his injury he was ruinous in his decision making and positioning. He is a work in progress who can cover right back for Clyney. Don't want to kill his Liverpool career by exposing him at centre back yet.

He's already played a shed load of u23's, he's beyond that and just a week ago he was the best player on the pitch against two excellent forwards. He looked rusty last season in large part to his layoff but also because of how big he was; he was far too muscular to play top level football and since Klopp told him to cut the weights he's recovered all his mobility that he had pre-cruciate which is impressive in of itself.

And honestly, any young player coming through at any large club has to contend with an impatient set of fans ready to kill their careers before they begin. You don't think Donnarumma, Romagnoli, Denis Suarez, Christensen, Winks or whoever have to deal with idiots who don't think they can do certain things? Heck we signed Sakho aged 23 after he'd captained his boyhood club and some still thought he looked like a championship player. That's fans, some just like football as a basic escape (I mean we all do) so don't really take time to formulate adequate opinions on players.

He'll make mistakes but he's also fast, he can recover them - like he did after a bad pass on Sunday - and more importantly at 20 he can learn from them. Not only that Klopp can hone his style, he can become more aggressive and dominant as he ages, it's not something set in stone; look at Pique for example, as he's aged he's gone from a passive style with Puyol to a much more aggressive style, or alternatively Ramos has gone from incredibly aggressive to being able to drop and become passive.

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
« Reply #1492 on: October 26, 2017, 03:58:58 pm »
I don't disagree with anything you say, his talent is obvious - it is the timing which I'm not sure about.  I think each of the examples you give have been away on loan to get experience - certainly Christensen had a couple of seasons of first team action at Gladbach. Donnarumma is the exception - that lad must have balls of steel - having been in such a pressured environment from a young age.
Maybe Jomez will surprise us and become a mainstay at centreback, indeed I hope he does, just don't see it at this time.

Offline Reese

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1493 on: October 26, 2017, 11:14:02 pm »
:lmao

I know what you are saying but quite an ironic time to make that statement!
yeh, we will really miss, his flying superman ,attempted headers  :no
I'll assume all of you made these comments in good jest.  ;)

But yes, plenty of irony at the time but sure - but doesn't discredit that actual fact - he is our most dominant defender in the air.  ;D

Still wanna see Joe though - having pace and calmness on the ball at CB is something we have missed for years. 

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
« Reply #1494 on: October 27, 2017, 12:36:31 pm »
I'll assume all of you made these comments in good jest.  ;)

But yes, plenty of irony at the time but sure - but doesn't discredit that actual fact - he is our most dominant defender in the air.  ;D

Still wanna see Joe though - having pace and calmness on the ball at CB is something we have missed for years. 

Can provided that when he was part of a three. Probably his most effective period for us and he was someone who could play out from the back without everyone chewing their nails or watching the game from behind fingers.
He's better now but his early career as a deep lying centre mid was punctuated with lapses in concentration and dwelling on the ball in our half. Has improved with experience but it is that lack of situational appreciation that is evident in Joe Gomez today. He will get better for sure but lets allow him to make his mistakes elsewhere and not risk this talented youngster entering the centreback graveyard that claimed Coates, Illori, Wilson, Ayala, Soto, Palletta and others.
Actually take Soto out of that he was way past it by the time we got him.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1495 on: October 27, 2017, 12:44:10 pm »
I think playing at RB has really helped him and for me that's his best position currently, as I think his attacking game is underrated -  as he has shown a few times this season.  I feel Carragher benefitted playing full back, after initially struggling at CB, before moving to become the CB we remember.  It can be a good position to learn and gain experience for a defender.

If he plays CB, he is certainly going to make mistakes.  But Lovren, who you'd have thought he'd be replacing has been doing this regularly, so we won't be in a worse situation really.  But ideally he'd be coming alongside a CB who will take the pressure off him, like a Van Dijk, who can deal with the physical or oppositions star striker.

Lovren is our most physical CB, despite his size Matip is pretty passive and not the presence he should be.  If Lovren goes out of the side, then Matip is really going to have to step up and take more responsibility if Gomez is alongside him.  He needs to be more vocal, more physical, imposing and being the leader we hoped he'd be when we signed him.

Clyne coming back will reduce the pitch time for Gomez, so with Lovren really struggling it makes sense he gets a chance at CB to develop, learn and it might really pay off in the long term for us.  But we have to accept he's not the finished article, he will make plenty of mistakes and it's not the easiest set up for a young CB to come into.

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #1496 on: October 28, 2017, 05:09:51 pm »
Another game and another clean sheet. This season is about racking up the experience and getting a full season behind him without injury. What a great long term prospect for us and England this player is. Under Klopp, he's going to just keep improving.

I'd like to see him be more aggressive on attacking corners and get a couple of goals this season too.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1497 on: October 28, 2017, 05:24:21 pm »
Thought he was excellent today. The lad has got bags of talent.

Online Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #1498 on: October 28, 2017, 05:24:28 pm »
I got the impression he played a bit deeper today, with Salah's starting position being around the wing-back area. Pleased with his performance and development so far - great to see him perform to such standard after injury nightmare
The change is cast

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1499 on: October 28, 2017, 05:30:18 pm »
another excellent game today  :wellin

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1500 on: October 28, 2017, 05:30:53 pm »
I got the impression he played a bit deeper today, with Salah's starting position being around the wing-back area. Pleased with his performance and development so far - great to see him perform to such standard after injury nightmare
I thought it was Milner and Wijnaldum taking in turns to do the wide stuff? Salah went wide a few times but never tracked back.

Gomez was definitely deeper though.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1501 on: October 29, 2017, 12:53:59 am »
Needs to be played at centre back at some point. He has done alright at right back but it's clear his position long term is centre back and he can hardly do worse than the people infront of him. Maybe when Clyne comes back so there is some experience next to him.

Bags of talent though. Maybe even try him as a destroyer. He is fast enough.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1502 on: October 29, 2017, 08:22:07 am »
Needs to be played at centre back at some point. He has done alright at right back but it's clear his position long term is centre back and he can hardly do worse than the people infront of him. Maybe when Clyne comes back so there is some experience next to him.

Bags of talent though. Maybe even try him as a destroyer. He is fast enough.

Yes, this is where his ling term future is, and can't wait to see him play a run of games there. Like you say, I think we need to wait until Clyne is back to do it.

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1503 on: October 29, 2017, 11:47:31 am »
I believe he has potential as a centre half and I can see why he is starting his journey (hopefully) towards being a first team regular at right back. But if I had been Salah yesterday he would have frustrated the hell out of me.

The number of times he didn’t open his body up and play Salah in down the line was bordering on ridiculous in that first half. Salah was our best hope of breaking them down in that first half but Joe seldom gave him the ball.

Manquillo used to do the same.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1504 on: October 29, 2017, 11:50:04 am »
I'd like to see him be more aggressive on attacking corners and get a couple of goals this season too.

He doesn’t go up for corners, does he?

Offline YoungKopite

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1505 on: October 29, 2017, 01:31:19 pm »
I think he'll be a great CB in the near future for us. He's not doing too bad as a RB, and I think it's great experience for him to have when he does eventually move over to play CB.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #1506 on: October 29, 2017, 04:57:59 pm »
We've got a player on our hands here.  Getting stronger by the game, really want to see him in the middle with Matip once Clyne is back.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1507 on: November 2, 2017, 01:02:58 pm »
Called up to the England squad

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1508 on: November 2, 2017, 01:13:27 pm »
Called up to the England squad

Well done Joe.

He's doing well since he's found his place back in the first team, which is great after how long he struggled with his injuries. I know he's only 20 still, but I think if he'd not picked up a long term injury he'd never really had lost his place in the team and would be a brilliant player. If he can stay fit I think he might well end up being one though.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline SyukriJ

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Out of darkness cometh light
« Reply #1509 on: November 2, 2017, 03:48:40 pm »
Absolutely chuffed for the lad especially the long-term injury he had
"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog you must stick together" - Bob Paisley

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #1510 on: November 2, 2017, 04:15:04 pm »
Well deserved, come back from injury stronger and better.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1511 on: November 2, 2017, 05:34:42 pm »
Well done, lad, very much deserved. Lovely to see him doing so well after the injury. Testament to his ability (and TAA's, to be fair) that we haven't really missed Clyne at all, and that's with Joe playing in his less-favoured position. Hopefully, when CLyne returns, we'll see what Gomez can do as a centre half.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1512 on: November 2, 2017, 05:36:25 pm »
Congratulations to him, he deserves it!

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1513 on: November 2, 2017, 05:40:11 pm »
Yep, congratulations to him.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1514 on: November 2, 2017, 05:42:11 pm »
Good luck. Just hope the England injury curse doesn't kick in.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: England International Joseph Gomez
« Reply #1515 on: November 2, 2017, 06:22:28 pm »
Sounds like he'll get a run out as one of the 3 centre halves.

As long as they don't cripple him that would be England doing us a big big favour.

Offline David Struhme

• Kopite
« Reply #1516 on: November 2, 2017, 10:52:53 pm »
Great news, he deserves it.

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #1517 on: November 3, 2017, 04:53:46 am »
Great news. He was such a talent at Charlton before and I'm so relieved he recovered so well. Hope we see him play more centrally as the season progresses.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #1518 on: November 4, 2017, 08:18:38 pm »
Be thankful your name's not Lovren.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1519 on: November 4, 2017, 08:20:10 pm »
Be thankful your name's not Lovren.

‘20 year old defender makes mistake in 45th professional appearance’
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.