Author Topic: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)  (Read 1016543 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Reply #15080 on: Yesterday at 06:20:09 pm »
Not the best comparison generally. Rushie was ruthless in front of goal, often helped out at the back, and was rarely offside.

Hard to think of many examples where Liverpool forwards suddenly come good after a few years.

Owen, Fowler, Torres, Suarez, Salah, Mane all looked the part straight away. Firmino struggled first few months but that was a coaching issue - as soon as Klopp came in he proved his worth. Suarez in the sense that he wasn't prolific in front of goal until his 2nd full season when Rodgers came in. He was always a top player though, Nunez is just so raw as a footballer, not just a finisher.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15081 on: Yesterday at 06:58:10 pm »
Not the best comparison generally. Rushie was ruthless in front of goal, often helped out at the back, and was rarely offside.

Id imagine if you're often helping out at the back, it'd be pretty hard to be offside

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15082 on: Yesterday at 08:34:01 pm »
Id imagine if you're often helping out at the back, it'd be pretty hard to be offside

True. What about the 346 goals?

Offline sonnyred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15083 on: Yesterday at 08:44:49 pm »
If your team is having 30 shots per game on average and numerous other attcking situations then, I'm sorry, your main striker has to be banging in well more more than 11 goals. Finishing and football intelligence are two things you cannot teach or improve. You either have them or you don't. If we get an offer for him in the summer I'd cut our losses and take it and try and sign a proper number 9.

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15084 on: Yesterday at 08:45:52 pm »
He will most likely get another season with the new manager but as most others have said hes not a natural clever footballer. I certainly dont fancy him when he gets a great opening to score. Some obviously have to go in, but his numbers should be much higher.
A bit similar when mo steps up to take a pen, rarely are they in the corner and placed exactly where the kepper has no chance, if the keeper dives the right way hes usually saving a mo pen. 

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15085 on: Yesterday at 08:53:33 pm »
Think we’ll have no choice but to keep him any way. We wouldn’t get back half the money we paid for him and FSG will not be shelling out for another striker. Add to the fact that Mo is on his way over and down the hill, Jota is the new Thiago and Gakpo will never be prolific either, Darwin will be our main striker next season.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #15086 on: Yesterday at 10:02:43 pm »
Why did the Club brief the media saying he was a Klopp signing?

I also think he will stay another season. I think he will be a success.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:05:02 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online KC7

• Boys Pen
« Reply #15087 on: Yesterday at 10:23:09 pm »
I think Nunez will stay, and hopefully with the tweaks made to the team (getting the midfield functioning for one) he and the other forwards will be more productive.

We have leaked chances all season. This ramps up the pressure on the attackers, and when it got to the business end that pressure was too much. We saw it most in the Palace game when desperation kicked in, and when that happens attackers miss chances they would normally score. We have had to play catch up in games throughout the season, you are just putting immense demands on the attackers to keep bailing us out. The Palace game in particular, the choice to start a goosed Endo less than 72 hours after he had been rinsed by Atalanta, Palace and their athletic midfielders were licking their lips at targeting him as they did earlier in the season. We inevitably lost the first half, and then when Endo was hooked during the break we then gave the players a half to salvage the game.  Vs United at OT, we conceded six goals in two games against a pathetic outfit; the league game a hooked pass over the top by Casemiro into that gaping hole in midfield vacated by Endo who then doesn"t have the recovery pace to get back allowed United a free run in on goal from which they went ahead. Its cheap, constantly. We talked about the attackers in both games, but they'd have needed to have scored eight goals in two games at OT to have won them both. That's a ridiculous ask.

In the same way I wouldnt have criticised any of the defenders during the 22-23 season given that they had a season with no protection infront of them, I struggle to really go after any of the forwards in this season as they are playing in a dysfunctional side, chiefly a dysfunctional midfield (although somewhat better than the complete shitshow of the previous season), which means they are constantly up against it. They are not a cohesive attacking unit but that's more a managerial issue, its he who has to get that mix right. But their finishing, there are extenuating circumstances for why they have missed chances.

Get the midfield working again (6 brought in top priority), which allows the advanced 8s to have more freedom without the same restrictions in having to stay close to the 6 that they have had to do this season, that then gives the attackers a better platform to succeed, and without that constant need/pressure to bail out the team. When the team is working everyone is calmer, more composed, less desperate in their play, and composure for a forward is a necessity. Nunez has never been the most composed finisher (he may never be) but the demands this season to all the forwards have been off the scale. Going behind has been the norm, there is no security for them, so they go into games thinking we need two or three here which automatically makes their job alot harder.

I know we are without a quality 6, but had we started that Palace game with a functioning midfield, those forwards would not have snatched at the chances they did. We cannot keep asking them to go to the well and bail us out (as happened with the Rodgers season when we conceded 50), we need the team working again to then see the best of the forwards, Nunez included.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:00:42 pm by KC7 »

Offline sonnyred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15088 on: Yesterday at 10:50:19 pm »
Yeah there's no doubt we could do with a Cheick Doucoure at the base of midfield, or a similar athlete. But that doesn't alter the fact we are having 30+ shots per game and numerous other good attacking situations and your main striker has scored 11 goals. He's not good enough. I hope Klopp plays Danns for the rest of the season to give the guy some experience, from the few games he's had you can tell he knows where the goal is. Darwin to me is a player you bring on in the last 10-15 mins to try and something different and that's it. He's never a main striker.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #15089 on: Yesterday at 11:48:59 pm »
Yeah there's no doubt we could do with a Cheick Doucoure at the base of midfield, or a similar athlete. But that doesn't alter the fact we are having 30+ shots per game and numerous other good attacking situations and your main striker has scored 11 goals. He's not good enough. I hope Klopp plays Danns for the rest of the season to give the guy some experience, from the few games he's had you can tell he knows where the goal is. Darwin to me is a player you bring on in the last 10-15 mins to try and something different and that's it. He's never a main striker.

Didnt he play more as a LW/LF at benfica?. I too would prefer if Klopp played Danns a bit more

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #15090 on: Yesterday at 11:51:37 pm »
Why did the Club brief the media saying he was a Klopp signing?

I also think he will stay another season. I think he will be a success.

If it’s true that they were briefed, no doubt the Club and the Execs had sat down with Jurgie and he had told them that this would be the best way to alleviate pressure on Darwizzy, on Slotter, and on the Club. Klopp would have said that he would have been fine to take the ‘blame’ so the new manager and the player have a clean slate.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15091 on: Today at 07:13:10 am »
Hard to think of many examples where Liverpool forwards suddenly come good after a few years.

Owen, Fowler, Torres, Suarez, Salah, Mane all looked the part straight away. Firmino struggled first few months but that was a coaching issue - as soon as Klopp came in he proved his worth. Suarez in the sense that he wasn't prolific in front of goal until his 2nd full season when Rodgers came in. He was always a top player though, Nunez is just so raw as a footballer, not just a finisher.

Depends on what you mean by 'come good' I guess. Suarez certainly was excellent from the outset but he did have that 'not a finisher' label. I distinctly recall people clamouring for Huntelaar or thinking Carroll would be the finisher in a partnership lol. Nunez on the other hand often seems incapable of doing basic things like moving with the ball or placing the ball from 6 yards out. If coming good is reducing the variability in performances then I think we've definitely seen this albeit starting from a higher base. For example, Mane's first season to his third was such a step up it was unbelievable. As was Firmino's improvement. The concern with Nunez is that he's consistently putting in performances that are just objectively awful, which I don't think we've seen resolved before. And when it's going wrong for him he rarely resolves it in the game.

I want him to succeed, he has all the physical attributes to be a great player. He just seems to lack something mentally.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #15092 on: Today at 07:49:15 am »
I love the lad. He doesn't stop trying. He's fast as fuck. I really want him to succeed but I just dont think he is the kind who'll be a consistent performer for us. There's bits he genuinely lacks technically. His composure for finishing is on and off and his first touch is basically a roll of the dice. Add to that the consistent offsides where at times in every game he just loses his focus and is so easy to trap offside. He has the physique to hold up the ball but he doesnt win most aerial duels. I just dont know with him anymore. I wanted him sold last summer, then he had a nice purple patch in the season and I thought he'd turned the corner. Maybe that's just the player he is. One with brilliant workrate but his performance could be anywhere between a 1/10 to a 10/10. If we need results week in week out, I dont know if we can accommodate that.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #15093 on: Today at 08:01:52 am »
Then we get to the people who were saying what a fantastic goalscorer Toney is. Well at Nunez's age he was in League one scoring 16 and 24 League goals. His first season in the Premier League at the age of 26 he scored 12 League goals.

Then we get to Ollie Watkins who at Nunez's age was getting 10 league goals in consecutive seasons in the Championship.

It is absolutely nuts to think that big powerful forwards don't tend to improve as they reach their peak years.

Some great points, guess you could add Solanke to that list too?

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15094 on: Today at 10:22:43 am »
Anyone wanting him sold, how would feel if City signed him? Personally I’d be worried we’d made a massive error.

That said, the constant comparisons to Suarez are, on one hand valid as they show how quickly you can go from not finishing enough chances to becoming an absolute demonic talent but also clutching at straws a bit because if the hope is that Nunez emulates one of, if not the most, naturally gifted player to ever play for the club then the odds are obviously against that.

I’ve been saying it all season, he’s an absolute enigma. There’s a player there, he does some brilliant things but he doesn’t do the most important thing anywhere near enough to justify the position as our main attacker which presumably is the eventual goal. If it doesn’t improve in the next 12 months he’ll probably be sold and no amount of xG or variance is going to change that.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15095 on: Today at 10:38:46 am »
If he can improve his positioning and first touch he could still come good. He's absolute chaos for defenders as he usually finds himself in the correct spaces and finishes well (though he's been unlucky with the conversions). However, I agree with others saying we cannot rely on him as our main goal scorer. For now we need an in-form Mo or fit Jota to relieve that responsibility.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline elkun

• Kopite
« Reply #15096 on: Today at 10:46:38 am »
Anyone wanting him sold, how would feel if City signed him? Personally I’d be worried we’d made a massive error.

That said, the constant comparisons to Suarez are, on one hand valid as they show how quickly you can go from not finishing enough chances to becoming an absolute demonic talent but also clutching at straws a bit because if the hope is that Nunez emulates one of, if not the most, naturally gifted player to ever play for the club then the odds are obviously against that.

I’ve been saying it all season, he’s an absolute enigma. There’s a player there, he does some brilliant things but he doesn’t do the most important thing anywhere near enough to justify the position as our main attacker which presumably is the eventual goal. If it doesn’t improve in the next 12 months he’ll probably be sold and no amount of xG or variance is going to change that.
If he misses the same amount of opportunities for City as he does for us then I have no problem with him going to City. They would drop further down the table and if only our chances fell to a halve decent finisher we would still be 1st.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15097 on: Today at 11:16:38 am »
I think Nunez will stay, and hopefully with the tweaks made to the team (getting the midfield functioning for one) he and the other forwards will be more productive.

That would boil the piss out of the likes of elkun and Bennett who are desperate for him to fail and fuck up every time he gets the ball.
Shame he's not starting today for him to make them explode with hatred again.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline elkun

• Kopite
« Reply #15098 on: Today at 11:33:01 am »
That would boil the piss out of the likes of elkun and Bennett who are desperate for him to fail and fuck up every time he gets the ball.
Shame he's not starting today for him to make them explode with hatred again.
They way people like u are talking about him. U would have think he won us 5 PL and 10 CL or something. I support LFC not a player. If a player becomes really good for us then fair play to him. If not then he should be called out. If Nunez still manages to turn around his career here and become a great player then ill be the first to admit my mistake. But he wont be. He is the south american Lukaku. This is his level and he wont improve.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #15099 on: Today at 11:34:48 am »
If your team is having 30 shots per game on average and numerous other attcking situations then, I'm sorry, your main striker has to be banging in well more more than 11 goals. Finishing and football intelligence are two things you cannot teach or improve. You either have them or you don't. If we get an offer for him in the summer I'd cut our losses and take it and try and sign a proper number 9.

Why do you keep saying we are averaging 30 shots per game. It isn't even close we are averaging 19.8 shots per game.

I will try it as well. Liverpool now have 111 points in the League this season.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #15100 on: Today at 11:35:32 am »
They way people like u are talking about him. U would have think he won us 5 PL and 10 CL or something. I support LFC not a player. If a player becomes really good for us then fair play to him. If not then he should be called out. If Nunez still manages to turn around his career here and become a great player then ill be the first to admit my mistake. But he wont be. He is the south american Lukaku. This is his level and he wont improve.
You used the word support in this, but I’m not sure you know what it really means.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15101 on: Today at 11:35:48 am »

Funny that, because you spend your whole time on here slating 1 player and 1 player only.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15102 on: Today at 11:41:24 am »
If he misses the same amount of opportunities for City as he does for us then I have no problem with him going to City. They would drop further down the table and if only our chances fell to a halve decent finisher we would still be 1st.

Well yeah obviously.

The question was aimed at the fact that when City sign him you don’t know whether he continues to be as profligate in front of goal as he has been for us or whether he improves in the way that he at least shows glimpses that he is capable of.

I’ll phrase the question a different way. Are you confident enough that he definitely isn’t going to reach the required level that you’d be happy cor City to sign him in the summer?

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #15103 on: Today at 11:42:53 am »
Why would anyone want to sell our players to City of all teams? Just stupidity.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15104 on: Today at 11:46:36 am »
Why would anyone want to sell our players to City of all teams? Just stupidity.

It’s a hypothetical question aimed at asking people to put their money where their mouth is when they slate him with little basis.

Obviously he’s very unlikely to sign for Man City but when people brazenly suggest we ‘sell’ players, what they tend to imagine is them ending up somewhere like Inter Milan or Atletico Madrid, out of sight, out of mind and all that.

The reason I am asking the question is because there’s clearly a player there, albeit it’s debatable whether the potential would ever be realised so I’m wondering if the people seemingly happy to sell him would be happy to see him go to one of our rivals, I suspect the answer would often be no, even if that isn’t always the answer that they’ll admit to.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15105 on: Today at 11:52:18 am »
Dropped again. As he no doubt would have been for the Derby has Gakpo and Jota been available.

Took less than 2 seasons for him to blow through all of the goodwill Klopp had for him seemingly.

Fresh start this summer for all ofc, but it's not a good look.

Offline elkun

• Kopite
« Reply #15106 on: Today at 12:06:38 pm »
Well yeah obviously.

The question was aimed at the fact that when City sign him you don’t know whether he continues to be as profligate in front of goal as he has been for us or whether he improves in the way that he at least shows glimpses that he is capable of.

I’ll phrase the question a different way. Are you confident enough that he definitely isn’t going to reach the required level that you’d be happy cor City to sign him in the summer?
Thats a good question. I honestly dont know. When someone compared him to Lukaku. Thats when i though. Yeah thats about his level. He is a good player and will show glimpses of it. But for a club like ours. We need a striker that performs constatly every week. And i honestly think he wont reach that level.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15107 on: Today at 12:15:39 pm »
Dropped again. As he no doubt would have been for the Derby has Gakpo and Jota been available.

Took less than 2 seasons for him to blow through all of the goodwill Klopp had for him seemingly.

I think his second half performance would have most disappointing than his first half against Everton. Was nowhere to be seen.

Also this is two run-ins where he has become a bench player.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15108 on: Today at 12:17:13 pm »

Imagine not posting for years then just returning to be a Nunez hate account, proper weird

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15109 on: Today at 12:17:39 pm »
There’s an interesting thread from 2 years ago (before we signed him) going around right now where someone did analysis on Darwin and pretty much all the flaws mentioned back then are applicable today. It’s mad how accurate it ended up being. Thread here: https://x.com/taistofcb/status/1514983927059996681?s=46

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #15110 on: Today at 12:19:22 pm »
Imagine not posting for years then just returning to be a Nunez hate account, proper weird

Not as weird as your post, you don’t know what issues he has had in his personal life.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15111 on: Today at 12:21:18 pm »
Scary times for Darwin and the xGA x 90 x no pens = elite striker but we don’t even know it nerds.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15112 on: Today at 12:25:35 pm »
There’s an interesting thread from 2 years ago (before we signed him) going around right now where someone did analysis on Darwin and pretty much all the flaws mentioned back then are applicable today. It’s mad how accurate it ended up being. Thread here: https://x.com/taistofcb/status/1514983927059996681?s=46

Wow.

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #15113 on: Today at 12:26:20 pm »

😳