Author Topic: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice  (Read 145850 times)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Re: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice
« Reply #1120 on: May 7, 2014, 05:53:31 pm »
Ok, cheers.

So, if I go DSLR would it be best to choose a make that I'll stay with ?

Lenses and accessories are make specific I take it, no interchangability ?

Pretty much. The "mount" - the part of the camera which the lens attaches to, is totally different in different cameras. There are adapters out there which will let you use non-native lenses, but there are often drawbacks to using these.
Canon use the EF mount on their DSLRs, and the EF-M on their mirrorless cameras.
Nikon use the F-mount on their DSLRs, and the 1-mount on their mirrorless.
Sony use the A-mount on their DSLRs, and the E-Mount on their mirrorless. The A-mount was originally used by Konica-Minolta and automatic Minolta lenses still work on Sony cameras.
Pentax uses the K-Mount, which was first developed in the mid-70s. There is a massive range of old Pentax lenses which all still work with modern Pentax digital cameras.

There are also older lens formats, which can often be easily adapted, in particular the old M42 lenses, often found on cameras from the former USSR, can be fixed to most modern DSLRs via a simple screw-ring adapter.

The upshot is, if you buy into a system, then the more lenses you have, the less you are going to want to change mounts later down the line. Lenses will often cost a serious photographer more than camera bodies will.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1121 on: May 7, 2014, 06:45:32 pm »
Main differences are size, (4/3 systems are a lot smaller) viewfinder (4/3 systems don't have them, which would put me right off) slower Autofocus and poorer low-light performance. If none of that bothers you, fill your boots!

Whatever you buy, bear in mind that once you've got your first camera and a couple of lenses, you'll probably find that you want to stick with the system even if you need to upgrade, or you'll have to replace your lenses, which can get expensive.

If you decide that a Micro 4/3 system is all the camera you'll ever need then it makes sense. If you think you might like to move up to something higher quality in future, you'd be a bit stuck.

Many M4/3 cameras do have viewfinders (mine certainly does!). No need to be put off there. The low-light performance is improving massively with every iteration. The fastest auto-focus performance is now very definitely NOT found in a DSLR but in a mirrorless camera. Olympus is so convinced by the format it has decided never to produce another DSLR, and has recently introduced the OM-D E-M1, a professional quality M4/3 body. Pros are ditching DSLRs in quite large numbers now.

My own view is that anyone starting out with a DSLR now will find themselves feeling like a Luddite in a few years as they lug around their massive kit. You may think I'm wrong, but there is so little practical difference now between the best CSCs and DSLRs, and that gap is getting ever more marginal.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2014, 06:51:03 pm by ۩ Imperator ۩ »
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1122 on: May 7, 2014, 10:16:11 pm »
Many M4/3 cameras do have viewfinders (mine certainly does!). No need to be put off there. The low-light performance is improving massively with every iteration. The fastest auto-focus performance is now very definitely NOT found in a DSLR but in a mirrorless camera. Olympus is so convinced by the format it has decided never to produce another DSLR, and has recently introduced the OM-D E-M1, a professional quality M4/3 body. Pros are ditching DSLRs in quite large numbers now.

My own view is that anyone starting out with a DSLR now will find themselves feeling like a Luddite in a few years as they lug around their massive kit. You may think I'm wrong, but there is so little practical difference now between the best CSCs and DSLRs, and that gap is getting ever more marginal.

I don't think you'll find too many pros switching from DSLRs to M4/3 systems just yet. Olympus has itself a niche product for a niche market. There are a lot of options out there, mirrorless and DSLR. It doesn't make much difference which you choose at this point, but it's a serious distortion of the truth to suggest that the future is all M4/3 when that is currently just one of many options, and while they had a strong presence in the mirrorless market, they are rapidly losing share even there to Sony and the big 2.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1123 on: May 7, 2014, 10:49:54 pm »
Many already have. Photography websites are full of them.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1124 on: May 9, 2014, 02:18:58 pm »
My old mans just picked up an Olympus E-M5. Can't say I'm a fan, feels like a toy. Build quality is superb but I prefer bigger cameras.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1125 on: May 9, 2014, 03:08:47 pm »
My old mans just picked up an Olympus E-M5. Can't say I'm a fan, feels like a toy. Build quality is superb but I prefer bigger cameras.

I've also heard a few stories of people turning up to shoot weddings with compact cameras - resulting in tears and fury from the bride/her mother/all sorts of people.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1126 on: May 9, 2014, 03:10:59 pm »
I've also heard a few stories of people turning up to shoot weddings with compact cameras - resulting in tears and fury from the bride/her mother/all sorts of people.

Great idea for wedding a friend had was to put one of those disposable cameras on every table and let people just snap whatever they felt like. Also have a professional photographer as well, but this lead to some very interesting moments.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: May 9, 2014, 03:15:48 pm »
Great idea for wedding a friend had was to put one of those disposable cameras on every table and let people just snap whatever they felt like. Also have a professional photographer as well, but this lead to some very interesting moments.

It's a nice idea, but these days, most people's cameraphones will get you better results, and all the shots end up on facebook in a few days, too. None of that is a substitute for a professional photographer, or professional kit though. There's a vast difference.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1128 on: May 9, 2014, 03:17:56 pm »
It's a nice idea, but these days, most people's cameraphones will get you better results, and all the shots end up on facebook in a few days, too. None of that is a substitute for a professional photographer, or professional kit though. There's a vast difference.

The difference with the disposable camera's vs the cel phone is that trying to get everyone happy snaps from the later proves to be a mission in of itself, whereas with the camera idea, the people just hand them in and the bride and groom or whoever have access to all them immediately.

Never said it was a replacement for a professional rig ;)

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1129 on: May 9, 2014, 03:35:43 pm »
The difference with the disposable camera's vs the cel phone is that trying to get everyone happy snaps from the later proves to be a mission in of itself, whereas with the camera idea, the people just hand them in and the bride and groom or whoever have access to all them immediately.
Yes. In my experience they mysteriously vanish though, or the bride and groom don't get round to it. Nice idea if properly organised.

Never said it was a replacement for a professional rig ;)

No you didn't. But it bears repeating.  ;)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1130 on: May 9, 2014, 07:34:08 pm »

I am absolutely head-over-heels in love with mine.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1131 on: May 12, 2014, 11:39:07 am »
Looking to sell my mint D90 with 18-55 and 55-200mm lenses. Where is the best place? Anybody recommend any shops that give good prices?
Ive looked at eBay and Amazon but the fees they charge are crazy.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1132 on: May 13, 2014, 10:18:44 am »
If you're trading up you could try mpbphotographic or Wex.  I think both of them take trade ins but obviously you'll still lose out.  The only way I know of avoiding fees and still getting good reach is Gumtree.

Incidentally, I'm about to sell a Nikon D3s with under 20k clicks on it.  £2500ono if anyone has an interest?

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #1133 on: May 13, 2014, 10:26:16 am »
You could also look at AVForums. They have a dedicated buying/selling thread for Camera kit. You'll be dealing with like minded people also. Only downside is that before you can sell, I think you need to be a member for so many days, or have made X amount of posts in other threads. Check it out and they'll be a set of rules to follow before selling.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1134 on: May 13, 2014, 04:01:23 pm »
If you're trading up you could try mpbphotographic or Wex.  I think both of them take trade ins but obviously you'll still lose out.  The only way I know of avoiding fees and still getting good reach is Gumtree.

Incidentally, I'm about to sell a Nikon D3s with under 20k clicks on it.  £2500ono if anyone has an interest?

You could also look at AVForums. They have a dedicated buying/selling thread for Camera kit. You'll be dealing with like minded people also. Only downside is that before you can sell, I think you need to be a member for so many days, or have made X amount of posts in other threads. Check it out and they'll be a set of rules to follow before selling.

Cheers fellas.

I've stuck it on Gumtree this afternoon.

Both MPB and Wex where offering just £90 and £100. Crazy.

PS Swap my D90 for the D3s?

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #1135 on: May 14, 2014, 01:24:36 am »
Hi fellas. Not sure if this is the place but I'm wondering if anyone over here (Tim?) has any experience shooting video on film? The reason I ask is because I have a work to do for the uni, that consists on writing the script for a short film (which is done) and then choosing what kind of film format (not digital) and brand I would use to shoot it and why. The why is the hard part because I don't have much experience in shooting video on film, so I don't really know much about the difference between brands and models, not so much about formats. I'm pretty sure I would want to shoot it on 35mm and probably use one with a medium range ISO, because there many scenes on the script with low light but I don't want it to look too grainy. So if anybody has any suggestions or info about the different types of films it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1136 on: May 14, 2014, 10:11:25 pm »
I have limited S8 and S16 film experience from what now feels like an eternity ago. I follow film formats as I'm a film nerd though. One word of warning, you are going to need a shit tonne of light if you want to get low grain images with medium speed film and it really all depends on the quality of the pieces in your workflow.

I don't fully understand your remit. Is this a theoretical piece, or is it getting made? Do you have constraints, like budgetary, time, crew size etc?

Personally I like the look of Kodak3 500T (Walking Dead) with Zeiss Super Speeds. That's shot on an Arriflex 416 (super 16). S16 is much cheaper and easier to handle, and still looks awesome. Search IMDB for some of the movies with your favourites looks, and click on the technical specifications link to see what it was shot on. That way you can learn your film stocks and what you like.

However, if you're sticking with 35mm, what aspect do you think will fit your narrative best? 1.8, 2.39 are the common formats. If you're going 2.39, do you want scope (anamorphic 2x squeeze) or S35 (3-perf pull down)? Anamorphic has an amazing look, but it's challenging to shoot with. What about the processing lab, how are you going to handle rushes? Are you going to make 2k/4k intermediates, what about master? Back to film, or 2k?

Consider sound. Film is noisy. You'll be recording externally. Shooting long will help reduce noise pollution, but a good blimp/barney will shroud a lot of noise, but can make the camera op difficult.

Btw, without trying to be too pedantic, but you can't shoot video on film, or film on video.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #1137 on: May 15, 2014, 05:18:44 am »
I have limited S8 and S16 film experience from what now feels like an eternity ago. I follow film formats as I'm a film nerd though. One word of warning, you are going to need a shit tonne of light if you want to get low grain images with medium speed film and it really all depends on the quality of the pieces in your workflow.

I don't fully understand your remit. Is this a theoretical piece, or is it getting made? Do you have constraints, like budgetary, time, crew size etc?

Personally I like the look of Kodak3 500T (Walking Dead) with Zeiss Super Speeds. That's shot on an Arriflex 416 (super 16). S16 is much cheaper and easier to handle, and still looks awesome. Search IMDB for some of the movies with your favourites looks, and click on the technical specifications link to see what it was shot on. That way you can learn your film stocks and what you like.

However, if you're sticking with 35mm, what aspect do you think will fit your narrative best? 1.8, 2.39 are the common formats. If you're going 2.39, do you want scope (anamorphic 2x squeeze) or S35 (3-perf pull down)? Anamorphic has an amazing look, but it's challenging to shoot with. What about the processing lab, how are you going to handle rushes? Are you going to make 2k/4k intermediates, what about master? Back to film, or 2k?

Consider sound. Film is noisy. You'll be recording externally. Shooting long will help reduce noise pollution, but a good blimp/barney will shroud a lot of noise, but can make the camera op difficult.

Btw, without trying to be too pedantic, but you can't shoot video on film, or film on video.
Cheers Tim, always helpful. Yes It's only an theoretical piece and there are no budget limits, it's more about choosing the right type of film more than the equipment, although of course that's pretty short sided. I've been doing some exhaustive research after I posted on this thread and pretty much ended doing what you suggested, looking at Imdb for the tech specs and also reading cinematographers interviews and blogs, which have been really helpful. Surprisingly, or not so much, I'm going with the Kodak Vision3 500T as it was the best fit for the type of look I wanted, and for how it performed on low light situations(very little grain on the shadows).

The aspect ratio is an interesting question, I think I'm going with the 1.85 as there're not many wide shots on the script, it's mostly medium ones or Close-ups. I'm considering filming some parts with 65mm, as there's no budget limit, to enhance some of the Close-up shots, and crop it to 1.85 so it matches the 35mm footage. I know that would be extremely difficult and expensive to shoot and edit in real life, as I would have to frame in a way that area of the image I would lose on the crop isn't crucial, but it's all theoretical fun so no worries.

Don't worry about it Tim. I know you can't shoot video on film, I was trying to make it clear that I wasn't talking about still photography, and I was in a bit of a hurry so couldn't check my grammar, as I often do as English is not my first language. But cheers on the clear out and all the other info, much appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:52:20 am by Lastrador »

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1138 on: May 15, 2014, 05:26:35 pm »
It's an interesting point actually, the terminology. I tend to avoid using "film" to refer to movies these days, but I'm not a massive fan of the word "movie" either. "Shooting film" to me as a still photographer suggests shooting stills using film, while "video" as mentioned above is  the medium, rather then the act of recording motion pictures. Although we tend to say "digital video" for anything shot in a digital format regardless of the actual process.
So I can totally understand why you expressed it as "video on film" and I'm not 100% sure what the correct phrase actually is!
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1139 on: May 16, 2014, 08:51:02 am »
Cheers fellas.

I've stuck it on Gumtree this afternoon.

Both MPB and Wex where offering just £90 and £100. Crazy.

PS Swap my D90 for the D3s?

Sold the D90 on Gumtree for £250. More than happy with that. Going to use the proceeds towards a D7100 now.

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1140 on: May 21, 2014, 12:29:22 pm »
I'm in Japan right now for work. Just picked up a Canon 70-300 L series for £700 (brand new, international warranty, proper shop etc.). Combination of a suddenly weakening yen, competitive shop, place they make it (?) and getting VAT discount at point of purchase. Well happy with that. Got a ticket for the sumo championship tomorrow in Tokyo, so immediate use!

Just slightly worried that someone's gonna give me good reasons why it was a bad idea now...
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #1141 on: May 21, 2014, 01:54:08 pm »
I am absolutely head-over-heels in love with mine.

i am seriously considering buying the E-M1. I've been a Canon user and at the moment I'm using Nikon. I've bee reading the reports and reviews and I must say It sounds good. The Sony A7r looks good too, although I heard their lens choice is a bit limited. I still weighing up the pros and cons.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1142 on: May 21, 2014, 02:07:38 pm »
I'm in Japan right now for work. Just picked up a Canon 70-300 L series for £700 (brand new, international warranty, proper shop etc.). Combination of a suddenly weakening yen, competitive shop, place they make it (?) and getting VAT discount at point of purchase. Well happy with that. Got a ticket for the sumo championship tomorrow in Tokyo, so immediate use!

Just slightly worried that someone's gonna give me good reasons why it was a bad idea now...

Friend of mine who has 5D mkIII has that lens. Amazing!

Don't forget to take it out the box etc... for the trip home. You wouldn't want our friends at customs stinging you.

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1143 on: May 21, 2014, 04:20:15 pm »
That's actually a really good point which I hadn't thought of. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not sure though...I'd really like to keep the box and packaging for possible future sale. Dilemma...maybe flat packing it to make it less obvious? What's the deal here...can they just say it's taxable just because it has a box for 'protection'? Is the onus on me to prove it isn't?
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1144 on: May 21, 2014, 04:43:04 pm »
That's actually a really good point which I hadn't thought of. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not sure though...I'd really like to keep the box and packaging for possible future sale. Dilemma...maybe flat packing it to make it less obvious? What's the deal here...can they just say it's taxable just because it has a box for 'protection'? Is the onus on me to prove it isn't?

I think that can ask for a UK receipt otherwise they'll tax you. Chances of it happening are slim, but you never know. 20% of £700 is a fair whack.

Id just flat pack it along with the warranty card and put the lens on the body.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1145 on: May 21, 2014, 05:47:31 pm »

Could you flat pack the box and post it back to yourself? Not likely to pick up any tax on an empty box, and if you have the camera round your neck as you get on the flight, I'd imagine you'd be ok.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1146 on: May 21, 2014, 08:00:02 pm »
That's a pretty good plan.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1147 on: May 23, 2014, 09:51:43 am »
Had my D7000 for just over a week now. What a camera, the low light performance is stunning. The auto focus is rapid and it feels great in the hand.

Been getting some great pictures of our 9 week old little boy. The poor sod is going to grow hating the camera.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1148 on: May 24, 2014, 07:03:58 pm »
So, my first day self employed as a photographer, go to shoot some street theatre, it pisses down and later on that day my camera stops working. I have a back-up, but obviously it's not quite as good, so now I've got to choose whether to blow a grand on a lovely lovely A77ii, see if the A37 dries out, buy a replacement - which would now be an A58, not really an upgrade or what.

Leaning towards buying the A58 and then selling it on if I can get the A37 up and running again with an eye on the A77ii in the near future. (Don't have the ready money for that just yet. Might potentially have enough fairly soon.)

Meanwhile it's the old trusty A200 coming out of retirement. Which is fine, except I really miss the EVF and I'm shooting in fairly low light so the poor ISO performance is going to bite.

Ah, well. No-one said it would be easy.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1149 on: May 26, 2014, 12:01:40 am »
Insurance?

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1150 on: May 27, 2014, 09:28:40 am »
So, my first day self employed as a photographer, go to shoot some street theatre, it pisses down and later on that day my camera stops working. I have a back-up, but obviously it's not quite as good, so now I've got to choose whether to blow a grand on a lovely lovely A77ii, see if the A37 dries out, buy a replacement - which would now be an A58, not really an upgrade or what.

Leaning towards buying the A58 and then selling it on if I can get the A37 up and running again with an eye on the A77ii in the near future. (Don't have the ready money for that just yet. Might potentially have enough fairly soon.)

Meanwhile it's the old trusty A200 coming out of retirement. Which is fine, except I really miss the EVF and I'm shooting in fairly low light so the poor ISO performance is going to bite.

Ah, well. No-one said it would be easy.

Good deal on the A58 here mate. http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony-alpha-a58-18-55-sony-50mm-f1-8-lens-jessops-339-1910938

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1151 on: May 28, 2014, 01:14:52 am »
Had my D7000 for just over a week now. What a camera, the low light performance is stunning. The auto focus is rapid and it feels great in the hand.

Been getting some great pictures of our 9 week old little boy. The poor sod is going to grow hating the camera.

Any reason you bought the D7000 instead of the D7100 and do you use any of the old DX lenses on it? How do you find it?

I bought a D70s new around 8-9 years ago and have a few (expensive - well for me anyway) Lens for the cropped sensor on it? I was one of those with all the gear and no idea but trying to get into photography again but don't want to have to build up another lens collection and spend a load again. Wondering what is best to do if anyone has any suggestions.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1152 on: May 28, 2014, 09:28:22 am »
Any reason you bought the D7000 instead of the D7100 and do you use any of the old DX lenses on it? How do you find it?

I bought a D70s new around 8-9 years ago and have a few (expensive - well for me anyway) Lens for the cropped sensor on it? I was one of those with all the gear and no idea but trying to get into photography again but don't want to have to build up another lens collection and spend a load again. Wondering what is best to do if anyone has any suggestions.

Went for the D7000 due to cost. I got a bargain.
I use a 18-200mm VR II lens and have my eye on a 50mm 1.8.

The D7000 and D7100 both use DX lens.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1153 on: May 28, 2014, 02:43:14 pm »
OK, this is not about an SLR Camera but still, I'm wanting some advice about something.

This is the little video camera I bought and use it when out on my bike.  It has the normal 1/4 tripod hole thingy on the bottom

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vivitar-DVR787-Waterproof-Action-DVR787GAD/dp/B00DM35PAC/ref=pd_rhf_pe_p_t_3_W042

It came with 2 fittings, one to attach it to the handlebars and one to attach it to a cycle helmet.

I have done quite a few videos and they are great, however I want to try something different and use something like this  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-Chest-Harness-Release-Buckle/dp/B00E95A14M/ref=pd_rhf_pe_p_t_4_5Y1Q

I have looked at loads of them and they all say the same thing, suitable for use with a Go Pro.  Mine isn't a Go Pro  so can you get them with an ordinary camera mounting thingy like mine?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1154 on: May 31, 2014, 02:23:11 pm »
Not as impressive as timiano's sizeable collection, but here is my little M4/3 set-up.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1155 on: May 31, 2014, 02:31:08 pm »

Good deal on the A58 here mate. http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony-alpha-a58-18-55-sony-50mm-f1-8-lens-jessops-339-1910938

Thanks! Bought one from Wilkinson Cameras in Liverpool city centre in the end. Same price, but no 50mm lens. Needed it there and then, so ordering online wasn't really an option.

Luckily, it uses the same battery as the A200 I was using as a backup, so I was able to use it straight out of the box!
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1156 on: June 1, 2014, 02:06:12 am »
Bollocks. Didn't realise Nikon were doing a cashback, just missed it for the D7100. There's some summer cashback offers for other models for anyone interested.

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1157 on: June 1, 2014, 12:35:06 pm »
after a little advice/opinions,  just recently bought my first dslr ,a canon 100d its got an 18-55 IS stm lens, what would be a good all round lens but mainly for landscapes and wildlife?
what bags would any of you recommend ? have looked at this case logic one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Case-Logic-Compact-Protection-Hammock/dp/B002ISXBFI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1401610706&sr=8-7&keywords=lowepro+passport+sling
seems to fine for a beginner
thanks

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1158 on: June 1, 2014, 01:51:50 pm »
after a little advice/opinions,  just recently bought my first dslr ,a canon 100d its got an 18-55 IS stm lens, what would be a good all round lens but mainly for landscapes and wildlife?
what bags would any of you recommend ? have looked at this case logic one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Case-Logic-Compact-Protection-Hammock/dp/B002ISXBFI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1401610706&sr=8-7&keywords=lowepro+passport+sling
seems to fine for a beginner
thanks

For landscapes, most people tend to use a wide angle lens (anything from 16mm to 28mm). For wildlife, you're more likely to want something longer (300mm is pretty standard for birdwatching). A lens that is brilliant across that full range is going to be ridiculously expensive, though.

I'd suggest picking up a cheap longer zoom (70-200 or similar) and to begin with just using that and the kit lens. If you check the EXIF data on your shots, you'll start to get a clearer idea of what settings you use most often, and therefore what attributes you'll need in a more sophisticated lens. Do you need something wider than 18mm? Do you need a bigger aperture for some shots? You'll also get to know what the limitations are of the lenses you have, and then you'll know where you would gain the most from better glass.

It's all about tailoring your lenses to your own style of photography. You could very easily spend a huge amount on a lens, only to discover that it isn't really what you needed.

As for bags, I use a lowepro bag, had it for six or seven years now and it's been brilliant.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2014, 01:56:24 pm by Nessy76 »
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1159 on: June 1, 2014, 02:56:32 pm »
There's a bloke selling a 28/105 Canon ultrasonic on gumtree for £100 which I might look at, guess it's going to be a little bit of trial and error to start with
Which lowepro you git nessy?