Author Topic: Carragher offered improved contract  (Read 877 times)

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Carragher offered improved contract
« on: September 23, 2003, 12:01:49 am »
From the Telegraph -

Carragher offered improved contract
By Sam Wallace  (Filed: 23/09/2003)

Gerard Houllier is to give Jamie Carragher a new, improved contract this month despite the midfielder suffering a broken ankle in Liverpool's controversial victory over Blackburn two weeks ago.

The Liverpool manager was furious that his Blackburn counterpart, Graeme Souness, refused to apologise for Lucas Neill's tackle on Carragher but has moved quickly to reassure the player, who has lost the slim chance he had of making a possible England Euro 2004 squad.

The deal, which should be concluded within the next few weeks, will keep Carragher, 25, who was born in the Bootle area of Liverpool, at his home-town club for the rest of his career. "I don't like to talk about individual contract talks, but Jamie knows what we think of him and you can be sure he'll be looked after," Houllier said.

"There's nothing specific on that. No timescale. But when we want a player to stay and the player wants to stay, this club has always found a solution.

"Everyone knows what I think of Jamie. I made my feelings clear on television and in the papers after his injury at Blackburn."

Houllier added: "You can take it that by the time Jamie is back to full fitness there will be a new contract for him. He's Liverpool through and through. He loves this club and we appreciate what he does for us.

"You know what you get with Carra. He always gives his all, is always very focused and can play at right-back, left-back or even centre-back or central midfield. He never lets you down."

Great news for Jamie and great news for us  ;D
Hopefully this will give him a bit of a lift. We
certainly missed you last Saturday Carra.
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
Re:Carragher offered improved contract
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 12:07:56 am »
He's Liverpool through and through. He loves this club and we appreciate what he does for us.

"You know what you get with Carra. He always gives his all, is always very focused and can play at right-back, left-back or even centre-back or central midfield. He never lets you down."

spot on  ;D
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 12:11:23 am »
Nice one
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 12:16:41 am »
Not the most similar of cases... but did we not shhot ourself in the foot doing something similar to this... ie offering babbel a new contract only to regret the decision at a later date..

would have thought it would be a case of once bitten....

although i reckon carra will return to the player he was whereas unfortunately marcus never did!!!
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2003, 12:19:20 am »
Congrats to Carra! Hope he'll have a speedy recovery. For a change I think GH's comments are very good too. Liked this part;

... He's Liverpool through and through. He loves this club and we appreciate what he does for us.

You know what you get with Carra. He always gives his all, is always very focused and can play at right-back, left-back or even centre-back or central midfield. He never lets you down.

He's very clear on what he sees in Carra and what he appreciates. That's great. :)

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 12:22:07 am »
Not the most similar of cases... but did we not shhot ourself in the foot doing something similar to this... ie offering babbel a new contract only to regret the decision at a later date..

although i reckon carra will return to the player he was whereas unfortunately marcus never did!!!

I was about to say something here, but... :-X

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2003, 12:23:35 am »

I dont think the illness to MB and a football injury are the same thing, and Ged indicates that it wont be sorted right now anyway, he is probably trying to give Jay a boost as he is a little down at the minute.

Gnurglan, you highlight the same part as me – I liked that.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2003, 12:24:29 am by Christine »
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2003, 12:33:07 am »

Gnurglan, you highlight the same part as me – I liked that.

Yeah, I saw that. You have an eye for quality. ;D

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2003, 12:55:19 am »
I think the personalities of the players are a bit different as well

Offline Jonny_H

• aliday
  • Kopite
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2003, 12:58:06 am »
good to hear, we want him here till he retires
There are only two teams in liverpool, liverpool and liverpool reserves.

Offline Chris.

• Official Panini Swapper
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2003, 02:43:48 am »
With Carra being such good mates with st michael, hopefully it will persuade him to sign too  :)

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2003, 05:20:27 am »
With Carra being such good mates with st michael, hopefully it will persuade him to sign too  :)

Indeed.  There's no real smile from Owen in the blackburn game even after he scored.

Hope Carra will recover sooner than expected (would not put it past him).   :D

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2003, 10:49:24 am »
Great News

"Lost his slim chance of Euro 2004 squad"

I think Carra will have something to say about that!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline moomooscouser

• Main Stander
  • It's the Kops!
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2003, 04:17:43 am »
good way to show the management is behind JC all the way  :)
Two hundred degrees, that's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit....

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2003, 04:19:05 am »
I was made up with him and Milan getting their names chanted when the teams came out onto the pitch last Saturday :)