Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1460136 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgil Van Dijk PFA Player of the Year, UEFA Player of the Year
« Reply #6480 on: July 10, 2020, 02:21:42 pm »
Maybe. Maybe not.

Fabio Cannavaro had 2 outstanding seasons between 2005 and 2007. 2005-06 Juventus were stripped of Serie A but Cannavaro was part of a defence that conceded only 24 goals in the league and lost only once in a 38 game season. He won the World Cup with Italy in 2006. Then went to Real Madrid  and won La Liga in 2006/07. Cannavaro won Ballon d'Or and FIFA World Player of the Year in 2006 alongside Italian Footballer of the Year.

Franco Bareis had 2 outstanding season back to back in 1987/88 and 1988/89, In 1987/88 he was leader of the defence and captain of a team that only conceded 14 league goals in a season (they conceded only 39 goals in 2 Serie A seasons combined). In 1988/89 he won the European Cup with AC Milan, coinciding only 3 goals on the way despite playing a brilliant Red Star Belgrade team, the German Champions (Werder Bremen), Real Madrid plus recent European Cup winners Steau Bucharest. This period in time culminated in him coming 2nd in the Balon d'Or in 1989. Just for the record he for won the European Cup again in 1989/90 (conceding only 2 goals in the competition) and then came runner up at the World Cup in 1990 and made team of the tournament.

No of the above is aimed to denigrate Van Dijk's performances. The last 2.5 seasons he's played at an unbelievable level that I don't remember many defenders having played at. The last 2 seasons put him in the conversation about the greatest defenders of the last 30-40 years. I think there's a lot of recency bias in making the claim he's the best defender ever. He's not currently but that doesn't mean he can't get to that standing. Needs more than 2.5 seasons of excellence at the top level for that claim to have much credence though.

I still don't think cannavaro should have won it that year [same with Modric winning it the other year]

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6481 on: July 10, 2020, 03:14:54 pm »
I still don't think cannavaro should have won it that year [same with Modric winning it the other year]

I'm very aware that narratives can easily be built around a players contribution to an international success and how that can result in them winning individual awards. Cannavaro was excellent during that entire period and his Balon d'Or does provide some evidence that he was a player was at the very top of his game at this point.

In the same way Baresi coming 2nd in the Balon d'Or in 1989 is an indicator he was an essential part of that AC Milan success in the late 80's. Same applies to van Dijk last year (and possibly this year).

van Dijk is in the same company as these esteemed players. They did it for 10+ years not 2.5 years. My main point was that saying VvD is the best defender ever was a bit premature (at the moment) in my opinion.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6482 on: July 10, 2020, 03:27:22 pm »
I'm very aware that narratives can easily be built around a players contribution to an international success and how that can result in them winning individual awards. Cannavaro was excellent during that entire period and his Balon d'Or does provide some evidence that he was a player was at the very top of his game at this point.

In the same way Baresi coming 2nd in the Balon d'Or in 1989 is an indicator he was an essential part of that AC Milan success in the late 80's. Same applies to van Dijk last year (and possibly this year).

van Dijk is in the same company as these esteemed players. They did it for 10+ years not 2.5 years. My main point was that saying VvD is the best defender ever was a bit premature (at the moment) in my opinion.

I agree with your point about VVD, he's on the right path to becoming the best ever possibly.

But despite cannavaro's  play, Imo Ronaldinho should had won it that year. Won the treble with Barca, won the CL in a side that didn't lose game in the entire competition, finished 2nd top scorer and lead the way in assists in that campaign as well. Overall finished with 26 goals, and 24 assists in 45 appearances. To me that's a significant contribution in multiple competitions.

cannavaro was good, but I don't think he carried Italy, they were a world class defensive side, as were Juventus.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6483 on: July 20, 2020, 10:26:58 am »
Phil Thompson spot on here for me

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/17/liverpool-virgil-van-dijk-compared-manchester-united-legend-premier-league-13002501/

Compares the impact of VVD to that of Cantona

Played every minute of every league game for almost two seasons now. As imperious as ever. I don't know why he is being slept on for player of the year by our own fans even. Is it that he has that good that we take it for granted?

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6484 on: July 20, 2020, 10:58:36 am »
To think, Maguire cost more.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6485 on: July 20, 2020, 11:03:53 am »
To think, Maguire cost more.

Leicester pulled their pants down

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #6486 on: July 20, 2020, 11:16:58 am »
The best ever question with Van Dijk is a question of whether you look at achievements or whether you look at attributes/effectiveness. Take Baresi, for example. He played much of his career in Cappelo's more defensively-minded Milan side, in a team that was probably the biggest spender in, at the time, the biggest spending league. Van Dijk hasn't had the opportunity to show his longevity at the top, because for some reason the entire scouting industry dropped a collective bollock in not realising that a 6'4" speedster with skill to burn and a glacial temperament was not, in fact, taking a punt on for the pennies he would have cost to buy from Gronigen. That's not something in Van Dijk's control.

But if we're talking attributes, who stands against him, really? Ferdinand was mentioned above as the best in the Prem - and it's a fair shout. Ferdinand was a great defender. But what would you say his best attributes were? His pace? His reading of the game? His athleticism? Van Dijk is faster and leads the best offside trap in the modern era - one that replicates the kind of aggressive, high-line that Baresi used to lead but in an era where most teams have given up on it due to how difficult it is to implement and the extreme consequences for even fractional mistakes. Van Dijk is better in the air than Ferdinand was, scores more goals, and is better on the ball. So how can Ferdinand possibly be considered a better defender when there's nothing he did well that Van Dijk doesn't do better?

Take Cannovaro, also mentioned above. Absolutely phenomenal player, no doubt. But his biggest strengths of leadership, positioning and reading of the game were, at best, only fractionally better than Van Dijk's. Stacked against that Van Dijk is faster, significantly stronger, better on the ball and in the air it isn't even remotely close.

And this is the thing with Van Dijk - you can name any of the greats you like, and their best attributes are comparable to Van Dijk's. Certainly some excel what he can do - there have been faster defenders, defenders with better passing etc. But they're not in a different ballpark - Van Dijk can compete with the best attributes of *any* of the all-time best, and then brings to the table 3 or 4 key attributes where he makes absolute mincemeat out of them.

There are few better aerial defenders than Hyppia, say - Van Dijk matches him in the air, and destroys him on the ground. Ramos has a shout for his ball skills, leadership and pace, but they're not better than Van Dijk's, and again Van Dijk beats Ramos in the air and has a much, much better temparament (has Van Dijk ever been sent off for us? No. How about yellows? He doesn't even miss games through collecting 5 in a season).

You can go on and on like this.

Another illustration might be that you could play Van Dijk in any system, and he'd be great. You could put him with any partner, and he'd be able to complement that partner's weaknesses - just look at how he plays with both Matip and Gomez (a pair who, if VvD weren't here, would be the kind of partnership you'd normally dream about).

Van Dijk is to defending what Messi is to attacking. He's beyond a generational talent and he'll be the benchmark to which future defenders are compared. And we managed to get not just him but Alisson in exchange for one Coutinho - absolutely the steal of the century, and also, incidentally, what moneyball and FSG's approach has always been about. Not spending less - but exploiting weaknesses in the market, in this case that defenders and goalkeepers are grossly undervalued compared to attackers.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6487 on: July 22, 2020, 05:13:44 am »

He's the GOAT defender. At least, among the ones I have watched. He's better than Nesta, Cannavarro, Ferdinand, Terry etc.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6488 on: July 22, 2020, 06:51:34 am »
He's the GOAT defender. At least, among the ones I have watched. He's better than Nesta, Cannavarro, Ferdinand, Terry etc.
He's getting to this guy's level, but he's still getting there.

(This coming from a guy who hates Milan)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #6489 on: July 23, 2020, 06:48:11 am »
TBF he's not been the greatest since the restart. Probably as poor a period of form as we've seen him - very much the same as a number of players across the squad. Hopefully next season their heads will be back in it.

Offline BeepBeepImAJeep

• Smokes his hy-dro on the d-low. Drives to the beach. Top down, loud sounds, sees his peeps.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #6490 on: July 23, 2020, 07:15:18 am »
The player who more than anybody turned us around into an elite team.

The difference between watching football before him and after him is difficult to put into words.

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6491 on: July 23, 2020, 08:22:18 pm »
I am not so sure about his leadership qualities - there is a noticeable difference in the team when Henderson or Milner do not play. I think van Dijk is just too laid back to be the motivator needed in the team.

when it comes to defensive leader though no doubts.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6492 on: July 23, 2020, 08:28:51 pm »
Leicester pulled their pants down

While yelling at Woodward to squeal like a pig

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #6493 on: July 23, 2020, 08:32:16 pm »
VVD is the best CB I have ever seen
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6494 on: July 23, 2020, 10:14:45 pm »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #6495 on: July 23, 2020, 10:23:00 pm »
I am not so sure about his leadership qualities - there is a noticeable difference in the team when Henderson or Milner do not play. I think van Dijk is just too laid back to be the motivator needed in the team.

when it comes to defensive leader though no doubts.

I'd go along with this, pretty much the same as Hansen who never liked being captain and was happier just being the the best CB in the league.

Robertson, however, has got the bite needed to be captain.

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6496 on: July 23, 2020, 10:36:35 pm »
The best ever question with Van Dijk is a question of whether you look at achievements or whether you look at attributes/effectiveness. Take Baresi, for example. He played much of his career in Cappelo's more defensively-minded Milan side, in a team that was probably the biggest spender in, at the time, the biggest spending league. Van Dijk hasn't had the opportunity to show his longevity at the top, because for some reason the entire scouting industry dropped a collective bollock in not realising that a 6'4" speedster with skill to burn and a glacial temperament was not, in fact, taking a punt on for the pennies he would have cost to buy from Gronigen. That's not something in Van Dijk's control.

But if we're talking attributes, who stands against him, really? Ferdinand was mentioned above as the best in the Prem - and it's a fair shout. Ferdinand was a great defender. But what would you say his best attributes were? His pace? His reading of the game? His athleticism? Van Dijk is faster and leads the best offside trap in the modern era - one that replicates the kind of aggressive, high-line that Baresi used to lead but in an era where most teams have given up on it due to how difficult it is to implement and the extreme consequences for even fractional mistakes. Van Dijk is better in the air than Ferdinand was, scores more goals, and is better on the ball. So how can Ferdinand possibly be considered a better defender when there's nothing he did well that Van Dijk doesn't do better?

Take Cannovaro, also mentioned above. Absolutely phenomenal player, no doubt. But his biggest strengths of leadership, positioning and reading of the game were, at best, only fractionally better than Van Dijk's. Stacked against that Van Dijk is faster, significantly stronger, better on the ball and in the air it isn't even remotely close.

And this is the thing with Van Dijk - you can name any of the greats you like, and their best attributes are comparable to Van Dijk's. Certainly some excel what he can do - there have been faster defenders, defenders with better passing etc. But they're not in a different ballpark - Van Dijk can compete with the best attributes of *any* of the all-time best, and then brings to the table 3 or 4 key attributes where he makes absolute mincemeat out of them.

There are few better aerial defenders than Hyppia, say - Van Dijk matches him in the air, and destroys him on the ground. Ramos has a shout for his ball skills, leadership and pace, but they're not better than Van Dijk's, and again Van Dijk beats Ramos in the air and has a much, much better temparament (has Van Dijk ever been sent off for us? No. How about yellows? He doesn't even miss games through collecting 5 in a season).

Another illustration might be that you could play Van Dijk in any system, and he'd be great. You could put him with any partner, and he'd be able to complement that partner's weaknesses - just look at how he plays with both Matip and Gomez (a pair who, if VvD weren't here, would be the kind of partnership you'd normally dream about).

Van Dijk is to defending what Messi is to attacking. He's beyond a generational talent and he'll be the benchmark to which future defenders are compared. And we managed to get not just him but Alisson in exchange for one Coutinho - absolutely the steal of the century, and also, incidentally, what moneyball and FSG's approach has always been about. Not spending less - but exploiting weaknesses in the market, in this case that defenders and goalkeepers are grossly undervalued compared to attackers.

This is a great post and I agree with every word of it. I think the only thing that the general public would hold against Van Dijk right now compared to players like Baresi, Maldini, Cannavaro, and Ramos is longevity and honors. I anticipate and agree with the argument that this is independent to a player's skills and attributes. In that department, as you have so eloquently laid out, he is in rarefied, if not solitary, company. But if he is able to add a few more shiny trophies over the next 3-5 years, he will be talked about with the same awe and reverence from ALL football supporters not just Liverpool ones. Sounds like a fun target to aim for!

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #6497 on: July 24, 2020, 01:57:21 am »
The player who more than anybody turned us around into an elite team.

The difference between watching football before him and after him is difficult to put into words.
So we're currently in the year 2020 AD, also known as 3 VVD
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline welshred1976

• Legacy Fan
  • make us dream
« Reply #6498 on: July 24, 2020, 10:29:01 am »
Enjoyed Souness telling him he was the 'Best in the business' at the end of the sky interview. He genuinely seemed in awe of Virgil.

I know Souness has been bang out of order in the past but I've really enjoyed how much he's loving us winning the title.
“The status of the club is incredible, but it’s only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... it’s more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6499 on: July 24, 2020, 10:30:41 am »

“It’s my world, you’re all just living in it”.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6500 on: July 24, 2020, 10:40:31 am »

He is a modern day monster in defense and the couple of players I can think of that compare to him might be Paul McGrath and Frank Rijkaard as all three could dominant in defense while been comfortable enough in possession / had the skill level to play further up the park and still look world class. As Souness said he rarely sweats out there as he cruises around like a Rolls Royce and the only chink in the armor (maybe) is he might find it too easy. You can see the odd time he is a wee too relaxed out there. Its a pity he is not facing a Shearer, Drogba, Henry etc every weekend as I think he could be pushed to another level again as he is definitely playing within himself.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #6501 on: July 24, 2020, 11:03:30 pm »
I'd go along with this, pretty much the same as Hansen who never liked being captain and was happier just being the the best CB in the league.

Robertson, however, has got the bite needed to be captain.

Definitely going to be TAA for me. He'll be quite a captain some day.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6502 on: July 24, 2020, 11:25:23 pm »

That's a fantastic post, you perked my interest when you mentioned Baresi. Baresi is my favourite ever player, alongside Ronaldinho. And you're right about the Coutinho thing, Souness said it the other night, that was the best piece of business the club has ever done, I agree.
Regarding Van Dijk himself, I've never seen anything like it. Often when you say how good he is it gets shouted down (not by us or on here but in general terms) about he has to win more, has to win more leagues etc etc, which is nonsense in itself.
When I look at the best defenders we have seen in the PL, they all have a weakness or a chink in there, Van Dijk doesn't. Its easier to call someone the best ever in the league when they're not playing anymore, for me the best was Jaap Stam, and in terms of English centre backs I rate Woodgate above the rest and he won bullox all and had his injuries.
Van Dijk is easily the best for me and if he continues like he I really can't see any fair arguments against it.
I try not to be biased when talking about our lads in comparison to others but if I was a manager and could have 1 player from any club in the world I'd take Van Dijk above anyone.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #6503 on: July 24, 2020, 11:42:52 pm »
Any debate about the best CB of modern times - or ever - must include Nesta.
Maybe less imposing physically than Van Dijk but a better reader of the game and a better player on the ball - so pick your poison.
Probably the best I’ve ever seen, for me Virgil needs to keep this level for a few more years (he’s only been at the elite level of competition for 2 years)  to be considered ahead of Nesta or Baresi 

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6504 on: July 24, 2020, 11:58:29 pm »
Maybe less imposing physically than Van Dijk but a better reader of the game and a better player on the ball - so pick your poison.
Probably the best I’ve ever seen, for me Virgil needs to keep this level for a few more years (he’s only been at the elite level of competition for 2 years)  to be considered ahead of Nesta or Baresi 

You're right, he was absolutely immense. Would you say he was better on the ball though ? I'm not sure on that but both are/were so comfortable.  Nesta is managing now in Serie B I think

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #6505 on: July 25, 2020, 09:06:20 pm »
Sure. VVD beats Nesta in availability. He has played almost 9000 minutes in two seasons. That is absolutely insane. His only injury in Liverpool colours meant 3 days out with fractured ribs. I don't know what he is made of. You might think it is unfair to include this in this conversation. But I don't.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6506 on: July 25, 2020, 11:33:15 pm »
You're right, he was absolutely immense. Would you say he was better on the ball though ? I'm not sure on that but both are/were so comfortable.  Nesta is managing now in Serie B I think

Nesta was always my go to for best ever CB (good shout Jack), but I agree that he wasn't much on the ball. It's not that he would ever get caught on the ball, but he just never did much with it - if I remember rightly, he would just give it ASAP to the nearest MF. None of the raking 40-yarders you get with VVD.

I've just looked, it turns out in his first season at Milan Nesta had Pirlo, Rui Costa, Clarence Seedorf and Redondo playing in front of him. 'kinell  :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6507 on: July 26, 2020, 06:29:55 pm »
Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk has become only the fifth outfield player to play every single minute in a season for the title-winning side in @premierleague
 history.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6508 on: July 26, 2020, 06:34:27 pm »
2 consecutive seasons of playing every minute of every league game.

We coped when all of our other stars were out at certain points of this season but we never had to see how we would cope without VVD because he was never out.

He actually makes defending look fun. What can you say about this guy that hasn't been said?

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6510 on: July 27, 2020, 10:52:22 am »
2 consecutive seasons of playing every minute of every league game.

We coped when all of our other stars were out at certain points of this season but we never had to see how we would cope without VVD because he was never out.

He actually makes defending look fun. What can you say about this guy that hasn't been said?

He is amazing but lets not forget that we were improving defensively even before we signed him. We also handled Bayern well last season with Fabinho and Lovren in defence.

In a one off or couple of games we could cope without Van Dijk. But he makes the difference over time.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6511 on: July 27, 2020, 10:54:55 am »
I'm a nostalgic fool when it comes to comparing current players to those of years gone. 

''Yeah so and so is good, but not as great as Rush etc etc.''

''Messi.....wonderful, but better than Maradona?!?!?!''

This fella though............

He will go down as one of the all time greats.

The only way I can describe him is as the Captain America of defenders.

Bigger/ stronger/ faster........fucker has all the best attributes at the highest levels.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6512 on: July 27, 2020, 12:12:02 pm »
Best centre back I've ever seen play for this club. I'm 30 so missed out on the likes of Hansen etc.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6513 on: July 27, 2020, 12:13:51 pm »
Best centre back I've ever seen play for this club. I'm 30 so missed out on the likes of Hansen etc.

Same for me. I'm 38 and to be honest whoever is second is nowhere near

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite
« Reply #6514 on: July 27, 2020, 12:20:41 pm »
The best ever question with Van Dijk is a question of whether you look at achievements or whether you look at attributes/effectiveness.

When Virgil rocks a headband like the great Eric Young or - even better - a head band and a perm like Steve Foster - then we'll be talking about the best ever.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6515 on: August 7, 2020, 10:25:58 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pchRsQvvaTg

What a centre-half. Just wow. I think, there will never be another one like this ever.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6516 on: August 7, 2020, 10:49:25 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pchRsQvvaTg

What a centre-half. Just wow. I think, there will never be another one like this ever.

He's the best player in the prem.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6517 on: August 7, 2020, 11:31:35 am »
not a candidate for premier league player of the season, literally every game of the season is a 9 or 10/10

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #6518 on: August 7, 2020, 11:43:15 am »
not a candidate for premier league player of the season, literally every game of the season is a 9 or 10/10

Sadly it's a bit like with Mo, he is a victim of his own success, everyone just expects it nowadays. That's why it's such a big thing when someone manages to get past him.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6519 on: August 7, 2020, 11:49:03 am »

It is wild to me to be honest.