Author Topic: Sportwashing-A general thread  (Read 61457 times)

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Sportwashing-A general thread
« Reply #200 on: July 25, 2023, 01:35:42 pm »
it will be 'interesting' in whatever time frame when an import to the Saudi league does something outside of the game that would get the average Saudi imprisoned or worse, that in any other country would be shrugged off or paid off
easily handled - a sudden mysterious injury, no timeline for recovery, followed by an out-of-the-blue transfer.

a few weeks of you and your family under unofficial house arrest tends to focus your mind.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #201 on: July 25, 2023, 01:36:04 pm »
Saudi Arabia will need to generate a football culture of its own. It will need to produce local players who can compete at the highest level. To be successful the league will need genuine organic growth. It will need to produce famous clubs with palpable and singular traditions. Its crowds will need to produce genuine, not 'canned', atmospheres. There might even have to be the occasional bit of fan violence just to add authenticity. It would help - for the sake of Latin audiences - if the TV cameras could occasionally pan away from the action and close in on beautiful women in the crowd.

I suspect all these things will be beyond Saudi Arabia.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2023, 01:39:56 pm »
The key question here is where do they want to get to? To be self sustaining at the level of spending they have gone with they need to become a major league with and international audience however they are a million miles away from this. Also as someone adroitly pointed out previously in the thread (citing PSG and the French league) the acquisition of big name players, even the very biggest, will not shift the dial on this to any great extent.

I think there are other factors at play here, maybe they don't have any real ambitions to be a major international league but one which is  major regional league in the middle east. Build a league that can attract the interest of the domestic audience and keep the attention of the young men in Saudi so they are not overly obsessed with leagues in western countries.

There are 2 major issues for the ruling elite in Saudi that this chimes with, firstly they know their current oil based economy has a shelf life so they desperately want to build a veneer of a modern state and a respectable league which attracts some aging foreign players and a few middling international players would be a facet of this. Secondly they have had a major population boom recently and there are lots of young men with little to do there, they need to give them something to think about other than the conditions they live in. Add into this the fact that there's a big gender ratio problem of 138 males to every 100 females and they could soon have a lot of young men with few prospects of finding a partner and little to do. The old maxim of football being the opiate of the people comes into play. Maybe the entire point of this is not to "take over football" but a clever means of pacifying what could become a restless male biased population.

there's precedent for countries importing thousands of attractive females from dirt-poor countries to address that issue .... cheaper and faster and more effective than trying to get lads to watch another game of footie.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2023, 01:43:17 pm »
there's precedent for countries importing thousands of attractive females from dirt-poor countries to address that issue .... cheaper and faster and more effective than trying to get lads to watch another game of footie.

Human trafficking. They already do that.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2023, 01:50:29 pm »
Human trafficking. They already do that.
I'm talking about state-controlled trafficking, not just the gangster-level stuff.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2023, 01:51:33 pm »

Saw a documentary about that recently,hundreds of local agencies scouring the whole of Africa for 'maids'.It's a big business,human trafficking.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2023, 01:52:54 pm »
I'm talking about state-controlled trafficking, not just the gangster-level stuff.
IIRC it was China doing this a few years back when the impact of gender-selection (a consequence of the 1-child-per-family law) resulted in a huge reduction in the number of marriage-age females in the country.  they started brining in women from N Korea by the thousands.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2023, 02:17:56 pm »
As far as footy goes, what will be your final straw before you genuinely pack it in?

I've seen many reds, particularly older ones, saying they'll hang around until Klopp goes. That was my intention, but haven't been arsed with the game at all now for ages. I don't miss it one bit, I gave it up for many reasons, but the levels of City's blatant unpunished cheating, mostly at our expense and to amusement of the majority of opposition gobshite ignorant supporters was enough for me.

I'm just made up, against all the odds, we won the Title under Klopp, if ever a man deserved to achieve that honour in todays rotten and corrupted farce of a sport it's him!

How fans still follow football now puzzles me, the whole thing is basically rigged, City winning the Treble last season was so predictably boring, it made all 3 'competitions' unwatchable in my opinion.   
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2023, 02:39:06 pm »
As far as footy goes, what will be your final straw before you genuinely pack it in?

I've seen many reds, particularly older ones, saying they'll hang around until Klopp goes. That was my intention, but haven't been arsed with the game at all now for ages. I don't miss it one bit, I gave it up for many reasons, but the levels of City's blatant unpunished cheating, mostly at our expense and to amusement of the majority of opposition gobshite ignorant supporters was enough for me.

I'm just made up, against all the odds, we won the Title under Klopp, if ever a man deserved to achieve that honour in todays rotten and corrupted farce of a sport it's him!

How fans still follow football now puzzles me, the whole thing is basically rigged, City winning the Treble last season was so predictably boring, it made all 3 'competitions' unwatchable in my opinion.

I think it's a sliding scale rather than one big thing, didn't watch the WC, never watch City play (boring), watch MOTD on catch up and fast forward for interesting bits and watch every LFC game live. Occasionally watch Everton for a laugh, watched a couple of odd other games (Wrexham in the cup). Never buy anything football related, avoid shows with people talking about football. The balance is good for me now and I get the point about Klopp.

It's an addiction though, 50+ years, very hard to shake off, if we become like everyone else I'll slowly drift away but probably keep my eye on the club.

I'm dead lucky though, I have Rugby League, follow Saints, all in all (including the Micky Mouse silverware) the two clubs have won 126 pieces of silverware in my lifetime, roughly equal in numbers. RL is a great antidote to the excesses of football, very little cheating, VAR that (usually) works, no injury feigning, players that are paid well but not excessively, crowds that mix and concentrate on the game. If you have not watched the two semi finals this last weekend, treat yourself or pick an Australian game (like Cronulla v Manly this weekend), see what you are missing and give yourself an alternative to the shite we have forced down our throats from footballers and those who surround them. The only oil involved is baby oil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001p403/rugby-league-challenge-cup-2023-semifinal-wigan-warriors-v-hull-kr

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001p319/rugby-league-challenge-cup-2023-semifinal-leigh-leopards-v-st-helens

https://www.nrl.com/watch/news/sharks-v-sea-eagles-1552354/
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2023, 02:39:20 pm »

It's my two kids keeping me going, even though I love Jurgen, I'd jack if the kids had no interest. Gotta admit though, I still love being in Anfield and where we are in the Kop takes me back to the old days.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 25, 2023, 03:08:41 pm »
It's my two kids keeping me going, even though I love Jurgen, I'd jack if the kids had no interest. Gotta admit though, I still love being in Anfield and where we are in the Kop takes me back to the old days.

If we could go back the days after people stopped making their own rattles, programmes cost 30p and going to the match did not involve you thinking how much it would cost you, I'd be happy. We won't so I will never get back to what made me an addict, trouble is cold turkey involves finding another 'fix' for the winter months.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #211 on: July 25, 2023, 03:12:04 pm »
It's not one or the other - team or a player. The younger generation of football fans do both now. You ask the younger ones who they support and who their favourite player is and you'll possibly get an answer like Liverpool and Mbappe. Or Man City and Messi. Or whatever. They consume an awful lot of football so they can talk about it with their mates.

A lot of them follow a player which i find very weird and dont support a team and they consume a lot of it through clips on social media i think a lot of them just follow it as its a popular thing in all honestly
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: July 25, 2023, 03:21:28 pm »

I've seen many reds, particularly older ones, saying they'll hang around until Klopp goes.
When Klopp goes / when City get a slap on the wrist.

Whichever happens first.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: July 25, 2023, 03:24:45 pm »

If we could go back the days after people stopped making their own rattles, programmes cost 30p and going to the match did not involve you thinking how much it would cost you, I'd be happy. We won't so I will never get back to what made me an addict, trouble is cold turkey involves finding another 'fix' for the winter months.

I'm taking them to 3 league games this season, thats £353 for the tickets alone and then £30 to park, £30 fuel and £45 for burgers for those games. The there will be Europa games, I'll be offered league games and at some point I'll probably end up coughing up £100 (to charity) to take my lad in my mates corporate,  as I owe him one as the other lad did the Derby.

March to Nov is OK as I've got MotoGP, but I miss the reds when there is no racing. I need to start going back to RL games, even if its nipping over the bridge to watch Salford with my mates
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: July 25, 2023, 04:06:18 pm »

I basically packed it all in during the H&G debacle.

I literally haven't spent a single penny on LFC since about 2008. Haven't been inside Anfield for well over 15 years, and I don't miss it one bit.

Used to go all over Europe watching them, but once the yanks came in I lost all interest. Current mob are no better - they've shown their true colours too many times, they just have better PR and aren't as overtly thick as the other 2 dopes.

The more I see of modern football [the corruption, billionaire owners, the play acting, the obscene pay, the sportswashing, the shit house players] the less I care.

Much prefer to watch a bit of non league now.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #215 on: July 25, 2023, 04:18:16 pm »
I basically packed it all in during the H&G debacle.

I literally haven't spent a single penny on LFC since about 2008. Haven't been inside Anfield for well over 15 years, and I don't miss it one bit.

Used to go all over Europe watching them, but once the yanks came in I lost all interest. Current mob are no better - they've shown their true colours too many times, they just have better PR and aren't as overtly thick as the other 2 dopes.

The more I see of modern football [the corruption, billionaire owners, the play acting, the obscene pay, the sportswashing, the shit house players] the less I care.

Much prefer to watch a bit of non league now.

Yeah...all the reasons I packed it in too, most players these days seem like petulant, cheating wind up merchants, and obscenely rich fuckers too.

Opposition crowds are shite too, no proper rivalry, no funny piss taking humour, just soft, ignorant c*nts who still think it's acceptable to mock the Hillsborough disaster.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 25, 2023, 06:30:34 pm »
Oddest thing over the weekend was seeing a elderly man wearing a Al Nassar top with Ronaldo on the back. Literally first person I've seen in UK wearing one.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 25, 2023, 06:34:57 pm »
Oddest thing over the weekend was seeing a elderly man wearing a Al Nassar top with Ronaldo on the back. Literally first person I've seen in UK wearing one.

They know their demographic.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 25, 2023, 07:03:38 pm »

What was Cristiano doing in the UK. Doing a John Terry and wearing his team's kit when he wasn't playing! that is odd

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: July 26, 2023, 12:32:58 am »
What was Cristiano doing in the UK. Doing a John Terry and wearing his team's kit when he wasn't playing! that is odd
Talking of that washed up has been
Just stumbled across PSG v Al Nassr on you tube, obviously and oil tycoons dream friendly this week with Neymar looking bored to death, Mbappe watching in the pub and Ronaldo trying to make like it matters, trying to make it 'entertainment' by trying Bicycle kicks and failing.
0-0, the future of football, empty stadium, zero value
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #220 on: July 26, 2023, 01:01:06 am »

I do think when Klopp goes, that will be it for me. Not to say that I won't often look at scores and such, but my full attention, every weekend and CL? Nah. Last year I unfollowed every LFC footie account on Twitter, because I know me and I know I can't resist looking at the replies, even though I know 99% of them are from shitty opposition fans who spend more time trolling LFC than they do supporting their own club. Then you've got the City situation that, in my heart of hearts, I don't think will come to anything substantial. We've seen now that there's way too much money for anyone in a position to do anything to, well, do anything. It's exhausting to watch as a fan, to watch Liverpool push and push to the limits of effort and skill, only to see them robbed of the reward by a team that may never be punished. I've only been a fan for 20 years, so I probably don't have the same bond so many of you do. I'm also not from Liverpool, so I don't have that connection to the city that might otherwise keep me tied to the team. I just don't know what I'll do in place of following and supporting the club. It's how I met my wife. It's a part of who I am and what I love. I'll forever be grateful to Klopp, for everything. Not sure there's anything left after he goes.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: July 26, 2023, 08:06:45 am »
The Guardian leading with this today on their homepage.

Revealed: Saudi Arabia’s $6bn spend on ‘sportswashing’

Saudi Arabia has spent at least $6.3bn (£4.9bn) in sports deals since early 2021, more than quadruple the previous amount spent over a six-year period, in what critics have labelled an effort to distract from its human rights record.

Saudi Arabia has deployed billions from its Public Investment Fund over the last two-and-a-half years according to analysis by the Guardian, spending on sports at a scale that has completely changed professional golf and transformed the international transfer market for football.

On Monday, the Saudi Arabian club Al Hilal submitted a world-record bid for the French captain, Kylian Mbappé, understood to be worth €300m (£259m)

The $6.3bn investment is almost equivalent to the GDP of Montenegro or the island of Barbados. It dwarfs data compiled by Grant Liberty two years ago, estimating that Saudi Arabia spent $1.5bn in the period between 2014 and early 2021.

Rights groups including Grant Liberty, Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch term such spending “sportswashing” – bankrolling big-name sporting events in order to distract from a poor record on human rights.

“Previously, sports figures and brands had rejected offers to engage with Saudi Arabia due to its well-documented human rights abuses,” said Grant Liberty. “However, there has been a worrisome shift in moral stance, as lucrative deals are now being accepted despite the ongoing and deteriorating violations.”

After the 2018 murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Saudi Arabia was broadly shunned, with many major corporations withdrawing or pausing investments in the country.

But the past two years have seen a shift in how the kingdom is regarded internationally. Joe Biden, who once promised to make Saudi Arabia a “pariah” over the killing, travelled there last year, greeting the crown prince and de-facto leader, Mohammed bin Salman, with a controversial fist bump.

The Guardian has compiled and analysed a list of investments made by the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund – one of the 10 largest sovereign wealth funds in the world with assets estimated at $700bn – as well as other state bodies including the tourism authority, all signed since 2021. The $6.3bn total figure is probably an underestimate of the true amount, as the PIF is notoriously opaque about its finances, and details of some deals are not made public.

The purchase of Newcastle United in October 2021 by the PIF for $391m drew concerns from rights groups, notably Amnesty International, which criticised the club after leaked images showed changes to its away kit to match the colours of the Saudi national team.

Felix Jakens of Amnesty International said the choice “exposes the power of the Saudi dollar and the kingdom’s determination to sportswash its brutal, blood-soaked human rights record”.

A year later, the PIF stated its intention to spend $2.3bn on football sponsorships. This includes massive unspecified investments to buy majority stakes in four Saudi Arabian football teams. The four clubs have spent lavishly to attract players from around the world, particularly Al-Nassr, which signed star player Cristiano Ronaldo for a reported $200m annually, making him the world’s highest paid athlete.

Ronaldo’s signing last season has been followed by a host of stars and coaches including Karim Benzema from Real Madrid, N’Golo Kanté from Chelsea, Roberto Firmino from Liverpool, and the former Aston Villa manager Steven Gerrard.

The footballer Lionel Messi is reportedly paid an estimated $25m by the Saudi Arabian tourism authority for his promotion of the country, including posting about lavish trips on social media. He received an offer from Al Hilal of £350m but instead opted for the US MLS team Inter Miami.

In February this year, Saudi Arabia announced it would host the 2023 Fifa Club World Cup.

The PIF has also made major investments that have upended golf, and now make Saudi Arabia perhaps the most influential force in the sport. In October 2021, the fund invested an estimated $2bn to create LIV golf, a major tournament.

The move set off a bitter rivalry with the PGA tour, which took legal action claiming that the Saudi-funded project was luring players to breach their existing commitments. One lawsuit accused LIV of a campaign to use “astronomical sums of money … in an effort to use the LIV players and the game of golf to sportswash the recent history of Saudi atrocities and to further the Saudi Public Investment Fund’s … initiatives”.

The feud ended in dramatic fashion with an effective takeover of the PGA to create a conglomerate to dominate professional golf. The governor of PIF, Yasir al-Rumayyan, is slated to be the chair.

A PGA executive told the US Congress this month that the sovereign wealth fund would invest “north of $1bn” in the new body. The deal is being investigated by a US Senate committee.

Some of the kingdom’s other investments include boxing and motor sports. This year, YouTuber-turned-boxer Jake Paul fought Tommy Fury in Riyadh for payments of $3.2m and $2m respectively, plus a share of the pay-per-view revenue. The kingdom also paid an estimated $60m to host a heavyweight match between Oleksandr Usyk and Anthony Joshua in 2022.

In 2021, PIF invested in a $550m sponsorship of McLaren Group Ltd, a Bahraini-owned company based in Woking which is a major part of Formula One through its manufacture of racing cars. The $6.3bn figure, however, does not include the $40-45m which state-owned oil giant Aramco spends annually to sponsor Formula One, or other contracts signed prior to 2021 such as $65m to hold an annual Grand Prix in the kingdom.

The total also excludes the PIF’s extensive spending in the world of e-sports, including a recent $1bn investment in video game company Embracer Group, and sporting events where the sponsorship amount is unknown, such as a March 2021 four-year deal between the planned city of Neom on the Red Sea coast and the Asian Football Confederation.

The Saudi Arabian embassy in Washington, which routinely responds to questions regarding the kingdom, has been contacted for comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/26/revealed-saudi-arabia-6bn-spend-on-sportswashing
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2023, 12:24:03 pm »
Al Ettifaq still trying to associate themselves with us... seems they are trying to forge some sort of link between our clubs?

Or trying to benefit from us - not just the club, but the city, its imagery, and its history too. Pathetic from the sportswashing Saudis...

Henderson's 'signing announcement' video too with iconic Liverpool imagery - from the official Al-Ettifaq FC twitter...

https://twitter.com/ettifaq/status/1684523633358544896 (1 minute video)

^ They also purposely greyed out & edited over the rainbow armband pictures of Henderson around 16 seconds into the video - https://streamable.com/y52xox :lmao :lmao :lmao

and this previously from their official social media when Gerrard signed for them as manager...

Their official 'announcement video' for Gerrard's signing doesn't sit well either:-

www.facebook.com/hashtag/%D8%AC%D9%8A%D8%B1%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%AF_%D8%A7%D8%AA%D9%81%D8%A7%D9%82%D9%8A

^ Obviously trading on the name of Liverpool.

Even when trying to sell their shirts they mention us...

'Sorry to all the @LFC fans for putting E.F.C on Hendo’s back. At least it’s not blue. 😅 Better get that number 🔟 kit before it runs out. 🤤 #Ettifaq':-

^ https://twitter.com/Ettifaq_EN/status/1688279003700813825?

« Last Edit: September 2, 2023, 05:38:26 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2023, 02:07:00 pm »
I'd kind of gotten numb to it, but that Liverpool imagery has pissed me off again. For a bit I was even convincing myself it was kind of a compliment - we're such a big important team that they're trading off being able to get our players to elevate themselves relative to us. Now they're just trying to be the Liverpool of Saudi Arabia. Fuck off. We're nothing to do with you and we don't want to be.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #224 on: July 27, 2023, 02:17:17 pm »
It's all so very fucking sickening. As is the support I'm seeing for Henderson's move. And it isn't just on Social Media, it's people on here telling us calling him out on his decision to basically shut up that we'd all do it.

Those have a short memory. I'm sure that wasn't their position when City were cheating us out of league titles and Newcastle took our champions league place this year.

The game is dead, it's over.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2023, 02:50:16 pm »
Al Ettifaq still trying to associate themselves with us... seems they are trying to forge some sort of link between our clubs?

Or trying to benefit from us - not just the club, but the city, its imagery, and its history too. Pathetic from the sportswashing Saudis...

I hope they're bacon butty's on the table.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #226 on: July 27, 2023, 02:59:33 pm »
It's all so very fucking sickening. As is the support I'm seeing for Henderson's move. And it isn't just on Social Media, it's people on here telling us calling him out on his decision to basically shut up that we'd all do it.

Those have a short memory. I'm sure that wasn't their position when City were cheating us out of league titles and Newcastle took our champions league place this year.

The game is dead, it's over.

Those people seem to mistakenly think RAWK is like twitter or reddit etc. Some are bad Tories - or think like them. Some others are looking for a way to justify their love and appreciation for their heroes... the difficulties of adjusting and separating the player from the person... and not wanting to face up to their decisions to go be posters boys for the latest sportswashing project of a brutal, oppressive, human rights abusing, journalist dismembering, women and child torturing, regime.

A regime that is also very scared of rainbows!

Tell them where to go, mate.

Or point them to here - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=354341.msg18929007#msg18929007 (or the other relevant sportswashing threads)

Don't let those fuckers get you down, mate. And don't let them shut you, or anyone else, up.

Joe Blott - 'Statement below from LFC Supporters Board':-

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1684541755855626244.html

'Jordan Henderson was a true captain and true leader for LFC on and off the pitch. We know he did much to promote inclusion on and off the pitch. He stood out as a principled footballer.

We are therefore very disappointed and disheartened by his decision and the hurt and division it has created.

The very essence of the LFC supporters board is to be inclusive and ensure all LFC fans, whatever their faith, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability can attend and enjoy football. That’s what we want for fans, that’s what we want for football.

We stand in solidarity with our allies from @LFC_LGBT'

« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 03:32:34 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2023, 04:29:05 pm »
Those people seem to mistakenly think RAWK is like twitter or reddit etc. Some are bad Tories - or think like them. Some others are looking for a way to justify their love and appreciation for their heroes... the difficulties of adjusting and separating the player from the person... and not wanting to face up to their decisions to go be posters boys for the latest sportswashing project of a brutal, oppressive, human rights abusing, journalist dismembering, women and child torturing, regime.

A regime that is also very scared of rainbows!

Tell them where to go, mate.

Or point them to here - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=354341.msg18929007#msg18929007 (or the other relevant sportswashing threads)

Don't let those fuckers get you down, mate. And don't let them shut you, or anyone else, up.

Joe Blott - 'Statement below from LFC Supporters Board':-

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1684541755855626244.html

'Jordan Henderson was a true captain and true leader for LFC on and off the pitch. We know he did much to promote inclusion on and off the pitch. He stood out as a principled footballer.

We are therefore very disappointed and disheartened by his decision and the hurt and division it has created.

The very essence of the LFC supporters board is to be inclusive and ensure all LFC fans, whatever their faith, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability can attend and enjoy football. That’s what we want for fans, that’s what we want for football.

We stand in solidarity with our allies from @LFC_LGBT'

An excellent statement. And seeing it spelled out like that in that picture almost makes it even more sickening.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2023, 04:51:47 pm »
SOS has added the rainbow to their FB profile pic and c*nts are moaning, the c*nts I looked at weren't from Liverpool - wish they'd fuck off and latch onto some other club, they know fuck all about the City and our fanbase and our politics/beliefs

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2023, 04:59:50 pm »
SOS has added the rainbow to their FB profile pic and c*nts are moaning, the c*nts I looked at weren't from Liverpool - wish they'd fuck off and latch onto some other club, they know fuck all about the City and our fanbase and our politics/beliefs
If it's anything like RAWK, it'll include large numbers of the people with socially conservative/right wing views about liberty etc

(I'm not saying this as a sly 'oh people who disagree with me are tories' dig by the way. I'm thinking of specific examples of people talking about and demonstrating that their personal politics are reactionary - the most standout examples I can think of have revealed this in the context of their religious views, but it'll obviously not solely be conservative religious people)

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2023, 05:02:07 pm »

Amen.
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2023, 05:09:58 pm »
If it's anything like RAWK, it'll include large numbers of the people with socially conservative/right wing views about liberty etc

(I'm not saying this as a sly 'oh people who disagree with me are tories' dig by the way. I'm thinking of specific examples of people talking about and demonstrating that their personal politics are reactionary - the most standout examples I can think of have revealed this in the context of their religious views, but it'll obviously not solely be conservative religious people)

Remember the shite SOS were getting from some bad blerts on here even after G&H were defeated? The very word 'union' seemed to trigger them.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: July 27, 2023, 05:13:25 pm »

It's also the fact they are fuckin stupid too. One c*nt replied to me saying he isn't scared of a rainbow, and his concern is people turning on Henderson. The fucking moron thinks SOS have updated it because of Henderson  :lmao
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: July 27, 2023, 05:46:46 pm »
It's also the fact they are fuckin stupid too. One c*nt replied to me saying he isn't scared of a rainbow, and his concern is people turning on Henderson. The fucking moron thinks SOS have updated it because of Henderson  :lmao

:duh :duh

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #234 on: July 27, 2023, 05:51:26 pm »
That whole blacking out the armband is just weird, why didn't they just use colour images of a non-rainbow armband, it's like they're purposely being antagonistic.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #235 on: July 27, 2023, 06:02:32 pm »

^ They also purposely greyed out and edited over the rainbow armband pictures of Henderson around 16 seconds into the video - https://streamable.com/y52xox :lmao :lmao :lmao

That's absolutely fucking disgusting.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: July 27, 2023, 06:08:32 pm »
That whole blacking out the armband is just weird, why didn't they just use colour images of a non-rainbow armband, it's like they're purposely being antagonistic.

100%

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #237 on: July 27, 2023, 06:22:00 pm »

^ https://twitter.com/ThomasHitz/status/1684532990695596033

'Jordan Henderson no longer an LGBTQ+ ally after Saudi move, says Hitzlsperger':-

Former Liverpool captain criticised for joining Al-Ettifaq
‘I did believe that his support would be genuine. Silly me’

www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jul/27/jordan-henderson-liverpool-lgbtq-saudi-arabia-thomas-hitzlsperger

« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 06:27:48 pm by oojason »

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #238 on: July 27, 2023, 06:36:30 pm »
Al Ettifaq appear to be using LFC-related imagery. I'm suprised the club has not kicked up a fuss. If Jordan personally wants to be associated with this wretched sports-washing operation then that's between him and his conscience. But our club's images - even if they're slightly reworked - should be nowhere near it

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: July 27, 2023, 07:10:20 pm »
The club need to change the crest to a rainbow colour on the website and other promotional stuff. A stand needs to be taken
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?