Author Topic: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)  (Read 1047642 times)

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Reply #14960 on: April 25, 2024, 08:12:18 pm »
why dont you want us to sell him ?

he cant hold the ball up and his finishing is 1 goal to every 10 shots

He has enough tools  to be one of the best attackers in the world if he can improve in a few (admittedly tough to improve) areas. If the new manager believes that’s possible, I think we should give him the chance to prove it. You also have to consider the possibility that we’ll be selling Salah and Diaz in the summer. Do we want to have to replace all three of them?

I’m not 100% against selling Darwin, really, but it totally depends on what kind of value we’d be getting. If we’re talking £30m, it would very much not be worth it.

Offline elkun

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14961 on: April 25, 2024, 08:24:38 pm »
He has enough tools  to be one of the best attackers in the world if he can improve in a few (admittedly tough to improve) areas. If the new manager believes that’s possible, I think we should give him the chance to prove it. You also have to consider the possibility that we’ll be selling Salah and Diaz in the summer. Do we want to have to replace all three of them?

I’m not 100% against selling Darwin, really, but it totally depends on what kind of value we’d be getting. If we’re talking £30m, it would very much not be worth it.
Why would we sell Diaz. He is the least of our problems right now. Rather sell Nunez

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #14962 on: April 25, 2024, 08:29:54 pm »
Suarez didn't actually "explode" until season 3 btw. His second season he scored 11 league goals, same as Núñez has in the league this season. In pretty much the same amount of games (but Suarez played an extra 580 minutes).

But season 1 was half a yr as he arrive in Jan
And Suarez issue early on was he was hitting post etc on chances he created himself out of nothing. Nunez is missing gilt edge chances others are laying on a plate for him

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14963 on: April 25, 2024, 08:43:02 pm »
Nunez is a class player and I think we would be mental to even think of selling, he will continue to improve

He’s not putting up the numbers he is by accident and players assist numbers can be cushioned with a load of short passes to players who go on to score worldies but this doesn’t really apply to Nunez from what I can remember, he’s picked up some really smart assists with excellent decision making and well executed passes.

The main issue I have with Nunez game is the lack of composure, too often we see him miscontrol, trip, slip or just hammer the ball as hard as he can. The difference with elite strikers (from watching them) often appears to be that decisive, composed application in key areas. Let a loose ball fall to Harry Kane, yes he will sometimes miscontrol or lose the ball but so so often it’s touch out of his feet and finish, touch out of his feet and finish. If your first touch is off a lot of times you end up having to rush the finish, or adjust your feet, every split second in those small spaces counts and often a bad first touch is a missed opportunity, I dont often agree with Skys analysis but they highlighted it in the first City game, Nunez… poor touch, chance not clear cut, Haaland, first touch into space and before we knew it… goal. Nunez gets a good few excellent passes in to him where a small touch into space leaves a chance to get a shot away but he gets it caught up in his feet then loses the chance too much.

Likewise with his finishing, you’ve gotta be able to pick the right shots, I still remember watching Cisse waste chance upon chance because he insisteddddd on hitting it hard as he could so often. Far too many times we see Nunez pick the wrong shot from good positions, more composure and he places that shot last night, Pickford left with little to no chance from that position but he just leathers it. Some will disagree but look at those elite strikers and so often they pick the right finish for the right situation, no one expects the net to ripple every shot but you’ve got to at least be giving yourself a good chance of scoring by making your shot hard to save. Sometimes it feels like Nunez cant decide what to do, he’s so fucking quick but you would be forgiven for not realising because he can get the ball and pick his option so slowly the defender can get a toe in.

I fully believe he has huge potential but it’s like he rushes when he should slow down then slows down when urgency is required. If he can add more consistent composure to his game it would make so much difference but right now he just doesn’t look decisive enough in key moments and that’s the whole game, not just shots. It may be reffered to as ‘vibes’ but right not he’s just not giving that confidence that he’ll finish these chances, did anyone see the ball fall to him and EXPECT a goal? The guy has so much potential but he can do so much more. I mentioned the shot selection before and still feel it’s an issue

We’re far from great right now but that does not mean as an individual you cant be decisive, Elliott is managing it

Good post, fully agree on composed application. The best strikers have it down to a mechanical method of shot selection and execution. Sure everyone misses, but it's the thought you put into the chosen shot that reveals a fair bit.

If Nunez decides to place into the far corner, with Pickford committed, and his shot trickles wide, fine. Right shot for the situation, execute better.

If your brain is disengaged and you just hit and hope, you'll never be good enough in the box at the top level. Nunez has shown progress over the season with some of his shot selection and goals, but, like you say, that consistent, composed application isn't there. Not a naturally cool mentality, for sure, needs to work at it.

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #14964 on: April 25, 2024, 09:26:26 pm »
I’m not going to slate the guy but I see none of the instincts in him that good strikers have. He didn’t cost us the game against Everton but he missed a chance that would have put them under pressure and might have brought a result from it. Finishing is an art and I believe instinctive and you can’t train or coach instinct. He’s missing the snipers mentality and I don’t think he’ll ever have it. He plays with a smile on his face no matter what and that’s never a good thing, there’s a killer mentality needed in a striker that doesn’t smile when they’ve missed a chance. I really don’t know if he should have another season or not. When I think back to those Benfica games he’s still the same player now and I think the level he’s at is the level he will remain at. Without those striker instincts I can’t see him improving much more than what he is.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 09:32:41 pm by Johnny Aldridge »
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14965 on: April 25, 2024, 09:29:46 pm »
Lukaku is a seemingly good comparison for him. Good underlying numbers, scores goals wherever he goes, a threat - but just doesn’t look like the right fit for an elite team. He lacks finesse, composure - his touch isn’t great, his decision making is lacklustre. We’ve all watched top strikers.. Nunez isn’t one at the moment

Offline Ginieus

• Main Stander
  • Chilled out entertainer
« Reply #14966 on: April 25, 2024, 09:59:18 pm »
He's not going anywhere as clubs won't give us what we'll ask for him. Question is what can the club/ new manager do to improve his finishing. You'd like to think they are spending some time trying to replicate his missed chances in training.

Get Fowler down there to give him some coaching!

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14967 on: April 25, 2024, 10:13:00 pm »
Need our new version of Xavi Valero, goalkeeper coach that worked with Torres on his finishing, guiding him on goalkeeper movement and tendencies.
King Kenny.

Offline elkun

• Kopite
« Reply #14968 on: April 25, 2024, 10:37:08 pm »
Lukaku is a seemingly good comparison for him. Good underlying numbers, scores goals wherever he goes, a threat - but just doesn’t look like the right fit for an elite team. He lacks finesse, composure - his touch isn’t great, his decision making is lacklustre. We’ve all watched top strikers.. Nunez isn’t one at the moment
I think this is the best comparison u can make. His style reminds me indeed of Lukaku. Good striker but never will make it at an elite club

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14969 on: April 25, 2024, 10:52:30 pm »
He's not going anywhere as clubs won't give us what we'll ask for him. Question is what can the club/ new manager do to improve his finishing. You'd like to think they are spending some time trying to replicate his missed chances in training.

Get Fowler down there to give him some coaching!

So what we just let him go on a free then?

We will move him on even if it’s on loan.

Offline johnathank

• youverymuch
  • Main Stander
« Reply #14970 on: April 26, 2024, 02:03:42 am »
Some very optimistic people in this thread saying he just needs to calm down and place the ball better and everything will be fine. Does anyone think that in two years with this manager, he’s never received that bit of advice? He’s spent two seasons under the best manager he’ll ever be in the same room with, and he is still not reliable. If Klopp can’t get through to him, maybe he isn’t coachable. If we’re going to sell him, I’d rather it be this summer, where we have a better chance of recouping some of his fee.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14971 on: April 26, 2024, 03:44:36 am »
The big chances he has been wasting for the last 2 years are so costly. Just imagine he scored half of those we would be flying in the league now.
Believer

Offline collytum

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14972 on: April 26, 2024, 04:02:17 am »
Will never score enough goals to justify being our main striker and too expensive to be a sub so we should be cashing in now before his value diminishes further. If someone offered 50m, we would have to accept surely.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #14973 on: April 26, 2024, 06:00:20 am »
And Suarez issue early on was he was hitting post etc on chances he created himself out of nothing. Nunez is missing gilt edge chances others are laying on a plate for him

Nunez has hit the post as much as Suarez?

Creates chances for himself and others?

Not a clinical finisher but let’s not rewrite history

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14974 on: April 26, 2024, 06:03:55 am »
50 mil is a bit of a joke.

Who’s gonna get 20 goal involvements for 50 mil?

If that patch between dec - feb wasn’t hit by him would be in the position we were in?

Right to claim he might not be the main man, but to give up on him is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 06:05:42 am by mullyred94 »

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14975 on: April 26, 2024, 06:34:06 am »
It’s wild how far this thread is from reality. There are some reasonable criticisms well made - see ryanbabel for an example. And then there are wildly inaccurate and bizzare criticisms left right and centre.

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #14976 on: April 26, 2024, 06:37:37 am »
I think a lot of you are going to look very silly in 12 month's time. He's possibly in poor form - there is a bit of doubt about that - madness to write him off at this point though.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14977 on: April 26, 2024, 06:53:46 am »
I think a lot of you are going to look very silly in 12 month's time. He's possibly in poor form - there is a bit of doubt about that - madness to write him off at this point though.

It’s not about writing him off but he’s regressed the last month to the level he was when he arrived, that’s a huge concern.

You need to have complete faith your forwards will step up in the pressure end of the season and bar glimpses I.e. Newcastle, Darwin has been found lacking. We’re a team competition for the highest honours, finals you get one many two chances, you need someone you know will put them away, otherwise they aren’t good enough for this club.

It’s not a Darwin specific, our entire front line has got worse but Darwin has certainly missed too many simple chances for me.

He has to improve, it’s as simple as that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 06:56:47 am by Draex »

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14978 on: April 26, 2024, 07:08:43 am »
It’s not about writing him off but he’s regressed the last month to the level he was when he arrived, that’s a huge concern.

You need to have complete faith your forwards will step up in the pressure end of the season and bar glimpses I.e. Newcastle, Darwin has been found lacking. We’re a team competition for the highest honours, finals you get one many two chances, you need someone you know will put them away, otherwise they aren’t good enough for this club.

It’s not a Darwin specific, our entire front line has got worse but Darwin has certainly missed too many simple chances for me.

He has to improve, it’s as simple as that.

Everyone in the team needs to improve based on the last month though

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #14979 on: April 26, 2024, 07:12:24 am »
I'm okay with whatever the club want to do with Nunez. I think he has done enough and is young enough to warrant another season but at the same time if they decided to move him on I would totally understand why.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14980 on: April 26, 2024, 07:22:54 am »
Everyone in the team needs to improve based on the last month though

100% but Darwin has the biggest amount of improvement of the current front line.

Offline Red Dane

• Kopite
  • Probinate nobis similibusque
« Reply #14981 on: April 26, 2024, 07:38:29 am »
I Hope he is sold in the summer. If not, we buy a new striber, so we dont have to trust that Nunez get us the goals we need.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 07:49:53 am by Red Dane »
Every power draws its ultimate consequences at every moment. Supposing that this also is only interpretation-and you will be eager enough to make this objection?-well, so much the better. (Nietzsche; Beyond Good & Evil, p. 30-31).

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14982 on: April 26, 2024, 07:42:16 am »
🎖️| Liverpool are not preparing to sell Darwin Nunez. [@David_Ornstein]

Good. I’m not sure what we’re doing in training with him but whatever it is, it’s not working. Get someone in who can coach him to try different finishes depending on the situation.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #14983 on: April 26, 2024, 07:44:46 am »
Composure, a key trait all the great strikers have.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14984 on: April 26, 2024, 07:52:06 am »
I hope we sell him and he fulfils his potential else where and we live to regret it

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #14985 on: April 26, 2024, 07:52:31 am »
I Hope he is sold in the summer. If not, we buy a new striber, so we dont have to trust that Nunez get us the goals we need.

Striber

The Stribers were a water-breathing species indigenous to Julsujod III. Due to a natural disaster, a benevolent species, which may have been the Celestials, relocated them to Iskalon where they became part of the Iskalonian school.

They were the rarest of the species making up the Iskalonians. In physical appearance, they were smooth and without visible fins, with crystal blue skin, thin bodies, and large eyes. The Stribers were telepathic, and so when they chose to speak, they chose their words carefully. They thought out situations carefully before acting, leading to slow reactions. Unfortunately, the Stribers were slowly dying out, and it was predicted they would die out within a few generations after the Battle of Endor.

https://aliens.fandom.com/wiki/Striber

I mean, I don't know how a water breather is going to help our attack but it's worth a go I guess.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14986 on: April 26, 2024, 07:53:45 am »

I mean, I don't know how a water breather is going to help our attack but it's worth a go I guess.

They can control their breathing, they will be more composed infront of goal.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14987 on: April 26, 2024, 08:27:16 am »

We're one step away from an exorcism or Bruce pissing on him.

Online Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #14988 on: April 26, 2024, 08:30:43 am »
They can control their breathing, they will be more composed infront of goal.

Harry Kane can't and  it seems to work fine for him.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #14989 on: April 26, 2024, 08:53:15 am »
So we sell Nunez - who do we realistically bring in as a replacement that can at least replicate his numbers from this season, which are actually quite good?

He will improve again next season and was our most threatening player for most of this season which most people are forgetting. We looked better with him on the pitch than without, and this past month or so we've had the entire team seemingly lose their legs.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #14990 on: April 26, 2024, 08:57:11 am »
It’s wild how far this thread is from reality. There are some reasonable criticisms well made - see ryanbabel for an example. And then there are wildly inaccurate and bizzare criticisms left right and centre.

I agree with this even if I’m sceptical about Nunez reaching his full potential.

The worrying thing for me is that there is currently an overriding sense of frustration with Nunez that has reached a crescendo this last few weeks. People are frustrated and it’s human nature to amplify where you think the issues lie when we have the type of fall we had this week.

As much as anyone, the last 4 games matter for Nunez. No one at the club is going to judge him on those games alone. My feeing though is that another 4 performances similar to those over the lest few weeks will really cement people’s frustration with Nunez.

Nunez, amongst a few players, could really do with the season ending asap. Get to the summer to get himself straight but also let some of the fans frustrations with him and where the team finds itself subside. Start again in August with a clean slate. That’ll be much more difficult if the next run of games don’t go well given swell of negative opinion that’s come Darwin’s way in the last 24-48 hours
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #14991 on: April 26, 2024, 09:31:21 am »

I think the criticism is he should be aiming left and right, and not centre …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #14992 on: April 26, 2024, 09:37:52 am »
I'm okay with whatever the club want to do with Nunez. I think he has done enough and is young enough to warrant another season but at the same time if they decided to move him on I would totally understand why.

Pretty much where I am with it. Done some good things and done some bad. If Edwards and co thought it's better to cash in now then I'm ok with it. If new manager comes in and believes he can get more from him - well I'm ok with that also.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline stonty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14993 on: April 26, 2024, 09:55:22 am »
He's been here 2 yrs & doesn't seem to have learned anything, maybe he's not coachable

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14994 on: April 26, 2024, 10:04:18 am »

You must have missed how many of Suarez's chances that he missed were set up by Downing. In 11/12 Downing created 55 chances for his team mates and 0 were converted.

"The assist thing? I've constantly set up chances, as I did at Aston Villa and Middlesbrough and have done at Liverpool, season in and season out," Downing told the Independent at the time. "I can't be criticised for not creating. I'm in the team to do that and I've done that throughout the season. I've just been unlucky that we've not finished the chances.

"If you look at what I did at Aston Villa, those chances got put away. Last season I was on a par with that, but at Liverpool they didn't [get put away]. It seemed to take us four or five chances to score a goal."

So there is Suarez who turned things around. Then we get to the people who were saying what a fantastic goalscorer Toney is. Well at Nunez's age he was in League one scoring 16 and 24 League goals. His first season in the Premier League at the age of 26 he scored 12 League goals.

Then we get to Ollie Watkins who at Nunez's age was getting 10 league goals in consecutive seasons in the Championship.

It is absolutely nuts to think that big powerful forwards don't tend to improve as they reach their peak years.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14995 on: April 26, 2024, 10:06:52 am »
He's been here 2 yrs & doesn't seem to have learned anything, maybe he's not coachable

His pressing has improved massively, so has his link up play plus he has far more assists than last season.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14996 on: April 26, 2024, 10:30:32 am »

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #14997 on: April 26, 2024, 10:43:08 am »
We need clinical strikers if we want to win the title or big ears. I really hope he can find his scoring boots but I am not sure how if not in 2 seasons under Klopp.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #14998 on: April 26, 2024, 10:50:50 am »
Always been a bit of a weird fit. I'm kind of surprised the coaches wanted to sign him because he's very different from a typical Klopp player. I think when we tried to change shape at the start of last season, only to have to change it back pretty quickly, it can't have helped. He's been at his best when played close to Salah.

Not sure whether he'll be sold, but if he stays we need to add more goals elsewhere. Doesn't look like he has it in him to be the main man

We were told at the time of signing him that he wasn’t a typical klopp striker. He had a poor first touch, poor pressing, doesn’t really run at defenders and that his XG in his last season at Benfica was unsustainable.

You look at his past 2 seasons and clearly there’s a player in there but his finishing technique hasn’t improved at all since he came in. There’s been times like the finish against Madrid or his 2 against Newcastle where it’s been brilliant finishes but most times He seems to blast and hope for the best. His workrate has 100% improved but you compare our pressing from the front with a couple of years ago and it’s still not to the standard we’re used to. He’s clearly very good when he’s got space to run into but seems to miss a ridiculous amount of chances.

There’s no doubt he’ll get another season under Slot but hopefully he won’t be the main striker and maybe not having the pressure to lead the front line might let him relax and you never know.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14999 on: April 26, 2024, 10:51:55 am »
https://x.com/shootlikejota/status/1783488705220477375?s=48&t=qky5aYpM_pUjtK_wYhPb9Q

Stuff like this is damning. Really avoidable play

At that stage of the game United had brought slabhead on and he was winning everything in the air. We couldn't keep hold of the ball. We were going long from Kelleher and the defenders and it was coming straight back. So I think it is harsh to blame Nunez for dropping deep and trying to pass the ball to a red shirt.

Maybe we should look at the inability of Endo and Macca to get on the ball. Never mind the fact that Nunez sprinted past both of them when he lost the ball.
"Ohhh-kayyy"