Author Topic: Round Table: Liverpool v Fulham  (Read 5492 times)

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Round Table: Liverpool v Fulham
« on: December 22, 2012, 09:49:40 pm »
Well, that was nice, wasn't it?

And yea, it was indeed the Resurrection of the Downing, lo, did he ascend into Anfield heaven and take his place with the Blessed Angels above. For a little bit.

Fulham did not show up. Missing key players like Duff and Sidwell, their only hope was Berbatov and that hope disappeared when Jol decided to play him on his own up front. They rarely travel well but this was fairly abysmal from them, to such an extent that I'm not sure how much we can learn from the home performance. When Riise can basically usher Downing towards goal, with nobody helping, and Schwarzer politely gives him a few feet at his near post, it's an easy day.

Still, you can only beat what's put in front of you, Brian, at the end of the day, and it's a welcome three points in any man's language. Skrtel as deadly finisher? Agger as Ronnie Rosenthal? Gerrard getting beyond the back line to score? Clean sheet for a back on form Pepe?

Happy Christmas, folks.

royhendo

Re: Round Table: Liverpool v Fulham
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:54:35 am »
Happy Christmas indeed eh? The first couple of times the ball flew inches wide, the old butterflies started up, but Skrtel really settled the nerves. Fulham were exceptionally passive though, weren't they? I understood the notion of sitting in and hitting on the counter, but they lacked energy. Saying that, Gerrard and Lucas provided the right balance and shield, didn't they? It was a very solid performance indeed. But Christ - when we add finishing power we are going to tear mid-table sides a new one. Still a couple of wobbles though, weren't there? The swerving drive that Pepe just about managed to keep out... a couple of lax breaks...

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 01:09:38 pm »
It was a strangely comfortable afternoon - Fulham put no pressure on the ball, couldn't defend set pieces and we scored early -

Like most games we've played this season it seemed more dictated by what the opposition did or didn't do than by us.

When we've had possession this season its generally been because the opposition retreat and allow us to have it in unthreatening positions yesterday I think Fulhams game plan was the same but they were inept for 45 minutes.

2nd half we still looked open down both flanks and Berbatov had time and space throughout the 2nd half. We seemed to take a break for 20 minutes after half time. Is this part of BR's tactics?  the 'resting with the ball' idea? Slow the pace down, keep the ball, save your energy because we have a lot of game coming up? All it seems to do is hand the initiative to the opposition. We have started several games poorly in the 2nd half and I'm wondering whether its difficult for players to maintain their intensity when we try to play a slower game and maintain possession?

Three really poor misses......

A referee who performance was entirely predictable booking Johnson for a challenge no worse than half a dozen unpunished for Fulham, giving fouls against us which were not given for us, that 'advantage' played for the foul on Suarez - Clattenburg annoyed me yesterday granted he was not as terrible as the ref in the Everton game but at least the bloke in the Everton game made mistakes both ways we are consistently the butt of referee's - there used to be an addage that if in doubt give the defending team the benefit - it seems that refs operate on 'if in doubt give anybody playing Liverpool the advantage'. They are very conscious of us not having a pen this year meaning we wont get one until its 200% nailed on for fear of a back lash if its wrong.

4 - 0 should have been 7.......

moan moan moan moan moan

we're coming up that hill, its just a slow winding road :)
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 04:36:04 pm »
Sounds like we were shocking Vulmea.

I thought we were pretty good. Fulham beat us last season at Anfield didn't they? Not a cat in hell's chance this year. Partly, it's true, they played into our hands. Lambert showed last week that you can disconcert Liverpool by leaving two players in front of the ball, but Jol decided on just one - the one being Berbatov who sees it as being beneath his dignity to chase a ball or close down an opponent. In the second half Fulham brought on Rodallega and Berbatov dropped back into the hole. That might have been more successful. Berbatov still refused to break into anything stronger than a trot, but he refused to be dispossessed either (what a player he might have been with a bit of humility and some warrior spirit). But our centre backs crashed into Rodallega every time he got the ball. We were very strong back there.

It was great to get Enrique back - and I liked the fact that Brendan resisted keeping Downing at left back and playing Jose in the more advanced role. With Johnson (is there a better full back in the world game?) and Enrique marauding from the back we are a very serious proposition. This becomes even more of a case when Lucas is at the top of his game. He may not be quite there yet but there was further evidence that he's on an upward curve. A couple of times yesterday he moved smartly forward 20 yards to dispossess Fulham players inside their own half. We haven't seen that from a 'defensive' midfield player since, well, since the winter of 2010- 2011 when Lucas was doing it every week. 

Gerrard of course had a fine game and scored for the second week running (this is what we need Stevie). His goal was the pick of an excellent bunch I thought. Twice he shifted his weight in the run up to the goal. Once to the right to adjust his run and then - beautifully - to his left to get the traction for the shot. The shot itself was inch perfect. In front of goal he remains His Majesty Steven Gerrard. Like you, I always know he'll score in those positions (ok, apart from the poor miss in the second half  ;D) Anyway a tough afternoon for some of his detractors I would think.

Skrtel's strike - technically wonderful. Downing's - ditto (although what the hell was the defence doing?). And Suarez's goal - very welcome, not least in that it keeps his momentum going. What a pity though that his toe poke didn't squirm all the way under the goalie's body. Luis was so unbalanced at the time that his forehead appeared to scraping along the ground. And such courage to stick out a lonely leg in those circumstances, knowing that the whole of the goalie's bodyweight may come crashing down on it. It evoked memories of him doing this against Man Utd in his first season when his toe poke did make its way under the keeper before being brilliantly put over the line by Dirk Kuyt. 

Mention too to Downing who has now turned in two consecutive performances of excellence from opposite corners of the pitch. The Johnson-Downing combination is a pretty good one. He's certain to start v Stoke. Let's hope he doesn't have a failure of nerve after his first kicking. 

The one bum note was Shelvey. I quipped last week that he needs spectacles. I'm wondering now if he does, at least, need an eye-test. He's as good as told us that his family has a history of myopia and that his goal celebration is in honour of the fact that he's the only one of the Shelvey clan who doesn't wear glasses. Hmmm? Are you sure Jon Jo? I mean, how else do you explain that such a gifted footballer can no longer trap a ball or hit a volley? Time after time, yesterday, he struggled to take the ball cleanly. And once again he missed a reasonable chance in front of goal because he needed three touches not one. Even in the build-up to our second goal he was allowed to get away with a crap first touch (for the predictable reason that the Fulham midfield were on sabbatical).

Oh, another pen denied at the end for a foul on Sterling. The Fulham defender had given the ball up and decided to back into Sterling instead. Poor defending - as it had been all afternoon - but poor refereeing as well.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 05:22:56 pm »
Fulham must be the worst team to roll up at Anfield in 2012 and that includes Gomel.

Last week I left Anfield shaking my head wondering if the whole team had been been on a massive bender (at least there would have been an excuse) - no one seemed to know how to control a ball. pass, create space, mark, tackle - basically play as a team.

And I'd backed Skrtel first goal @ 20-1 - a week to soon.

Yesterday was a whole lot better, but I think it was more down to how poor Fulham was. As others have said 'you can only beat whats it front of you' & we did a job. But the space that Fulham allowed us was shocking. Not knocking Downing (actually I suppose I am) but he looked good! He looked interested, up for it, incisive (except for a few mis-placed passes). But he looked comfortable playing in a position that suited him and maybe Rodgers is learning not to play players out of position.

But I'm sorry I can't see Downing offering a similar display against Stoke & QPR away - please prove me wrong, so I eat humble pie & Downing scores winners in both games, or more hopefully put in good performances in taking 4 points from the 2 games.

Anyway hope he comes good in the 2nd half of the season, and takes the pressure of Sterling (and maybe an incoming Ince).

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 05:43:59 pm »
Sounds like we were shocking Vulmea.

It must have been our easiest game for a long long time time. I thought it was defined more by Fulham's not turning up than our own dominating play. We can of course only beat what's in front of us and we did that comfortably. How much credit can be taken from it, I'm not sure.

The goals also came at good times. If Agger hadn't skied his chance it could have been a cricket score. It emphasises the importance of early pressure and a goal. If a team does feel sorry for themselves we need to exploit it. One nil at half time though would have been a travesty and with Fulhams improved showing we may even have turned a comfortable aftrernoon into a contest. We should have been more ruthless then there could have been no ambiguity.

Downing played well. He chased and tackled back, muscled players off the ball, took responsibility on the ball. Picked out Gerrard with  a gem of a pass. Scored a goood goal. The last time he played as well was Brighton at home in the cup. Then he was playing for his place in the league cup final, this time? he was given so much space. Is he playing to stay or to go? What was the fingers to his lips in front of the Kop about?

Shelvey seems to have inherited Kuyts mantle as a scape goat. He did as well as Suso I'd say, Three times the little spaniard was either on his heels or lacked the pace to take advantage of excellent passing moves. He also skewed his shot badly wide, again. Both are good young players trying to find their feet in an evolving team. There's less than 2 years between them. As it happens I thought Shelvey really struggled with the conditions. His lack of balance is noticeable and needs to be improved. Contrast that with Johnson who twice yesterday reminded  me of Barnes the way he just glided past players.

I thought at times in the 2nd half our midfield simply opened up but Fulham did not have the ability to take advantage as Villa did. We've seen it enough times over the past two years - the opposition does not need  to play well or even have the ball very much to get a result or goal against us when we gift them so much space.

4 - 0 was a good win but it probably should have been a lot more given Fulhams poor play and I know that sounds churlish but we missed three easier chances than the 4 goals we scored.

I also think if that Barry goal from yesterday had been us scoring at Anfield it would have been disallowed. I'm not saying its a conspiracy I just think there's some subconcious thing going on that means it easier not to give us a decision

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:46:00 pm by Vulmea in a Manger »
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 05:57:53 pm »
I agree with you about the Barry goal (a perfectly taken goal of course). It probably would have been disallowed for Liverpool (unless someone like Gerrard scored it).

I disagree that I'm scapegoating Shelvey. For one thing, there's nothing to scapegoat him for. We won!!! I also think he's got promise and is a much better footballer than Kuyt ever was (a player, sure, that I often criticised but don't think I ever 'scapegoated').

Anyway 4-0. Enjoy it. If you apply the principle that we can't take much credit for beating poor teams across the board then I'm afraid Ian Rush's goal tally could be halved at a stroke. I, for one, am delighted we punished a poor team. In the past few seasons we simply haven't been doing that.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 06:02:09 pm »
Its impossible for me to accurately judge how we performed against Fullham. Watching Match of the Day again showed how little pressing Fullham did which completely negated the point of Jol packing the midfield. Both Lucas and Gerrard and all the time in the world to flight in passes (and it helped that Gerrard's hollywood passes were wonderfully accurate).

The only question that rings in my mind is how would the team put out on Saturday perform against Stoke, a physical team who will press us hard.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 06:06:24 pm »
It must have been our easiest game for a long long time time. I thought it was defined more by Fulham's not turning up than our own dominating play. We can of course only beat what's in front of us and we did that comfortably. How much credit can be taken from it, I'm not sure.

[snip]

I think if our other games were more 48-51% possession games, depending on the opponent, you would be right to question. However, apart from three games, I think, we have had a consistently high percentage of possession (55%+), consistently high number of shots, and consistently played the majority of the game in the other team's half (generally being stronger in attack third possession). So for me, we are doing the right things regardless of the opposition, except for actually scoring goals. Yesterday was an extension of that, helped by Fulham's poor performance, but they weren't really allowed to get themselves into the game with any conviction, because the BR system is designed to stop that, and when it works, we get a performance like yesterday that makes an already bad team look worse. If we'd converted 1 or 2 early chances in the Villa game, I daresay that game would have gone much the same way, as they'd either have stuck to their defensive plan, or they would have stepped out and given us space behind, thus changing their planned pattern of play. If's and Maybe's, of course, but the point I'm making is that our pattern of play has been more or less consistent, and a case can be made that as bad as Fulham were, we made them play worse by not letting them get the ball much
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 06:16:04 pm »
Fulham were atrocious but so were Villa for about 15-20 minutes last week. You can only beat whatever 11 is there in front of you and if you make chances early on then to take them as we did yesterday. The one thing that champions in this league do is beat the other dross without playing particularly well themselves. We were masters of it in 2005/6 with a scattering of "boring" or "easy" victories by the odd goal here and there and becoming really familiar with the 1-0 or 2-0 victory. We haven't had that, consistently, since then and it'd be nice if we can get back into the habit of it at home.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 06:40:59 pm »
Fulham were atrocious but so were Villa for about 15-20 minutes last week. You can only beat whatever 11 is there in front of you and if you make chances early on then to take them as we did yesterday. The one thing that champions in this league do is beat the other dross without playing particularly well themselves. We were masters of it in 2005/6 with a scattering of "boring" or "easy" victories by the odd goal here and there and becoming really familiar with the 1-0 or 2-0 victory. We haven't had that, consistently, since then and it'd be nice if we can get back into the habit of it at home.

The main differences between this week and last week were the quality of the finishing and the effectiveness of the Downing-Johnson combo. At the start of the Villa game I thought we were going to put 5 or 6 past them, but I can't remember any of our 17 shots on net (apart from Gerrard's header) troubling their keeper. Chelsea had the same number of shots on net against Villa today, and scored 8.  If that period of dominance at the beginning of the Villa game had yielded a goal, the result might well have been like yesterday's game. So maybe it's as simple as getting that first goal.
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 06:49:36 pm »
We never got out of second gear, and they never got in their car.  These are the types of wins I'd love more of.  Considering we've had two bogey teams that we've already dispatched (wigan and fulham) I'm very happy.  You get in those ruts and it becomes harder and harder to get out.  It's something that the mancs never let happen to them.  I'll take a ratio of 3 wins in 4 every season we play.  Let's hope we can keep this up, and if we lose again (and I guarantee we will) ;), let's remember that we're pulling this together step by step, and we need to back the club as much as we can.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 06:54:16 pm »
If you take into account the fact that Fulham were poor, and if we allow for the possibility that our own play helped to make them look even poorer, then that performance was as good as any we will have all season. Statistically, it ticked all of the boxes - more possession, more shots, more goals, clean sheet, more passes, more accurate passes, more dribbles, more tackles, more corners, etc. I don't know how much more the team could have done yesterday in terms of build-up, defending, possession, managing the recovery in the game, and more. If Agger had scored in the open net, and Suarez and Gerrard finished their angled 1v1's with the GK, we are looking at a really good score to compare with Chelsea's today. Overall, though, the players did what was demanded of them, did it consistently, and did it to a high standard.

Shape -
The shape of the team, overall, was really good, even with the substitutions. The positional discipline that the starting eleven held to was good to see, and it definitely helped not only the possession and pass accuracy, but it helps Gerrard to play the passes he was playing to make him look like vintage Gerrard - players were making natural runs, if a pass wasn't on, players could turn and make instant passes to positions they knew would be filled, and the runs were more natural - Gerrard seemed to be choosing his moments to break beyond the forward, and if it was a conscious thing, we may see a better second half of the season because it means he has accepted his new physical limitations in terms of his explosive power, and can make better use of them by timing the frequency of those runs, rather than making them the central part of his game.

Additionally, with the definite shape of the front four, it meant that although Fulham might have approached the game with the idea that we would pass and pass to rest on the ball without penetrating much, the surety of Gerrard's long passes, allied to Suarez's running, allied to the overall extreme circulation of the ball, meant that Fulham had more than one pattern to worry about. Then, with Downing not only having a good game, but being more direct than is usual for him, you can see that if Fulham were under-prepared and below par, they were going to be in for a long evening with these subtle changes of approach from Liverpool. The foundation of all that, though, was the consistent and strong shape of the team:

Pressing -
The pressing yesterday, much like in the Norwich game, was a lot closer to what it needed to be a Barca-type team. Instead of pressing one at a time and stranding the first defender against the attacker and support attackers, players were going at the opposition player on the ball in two's. This is quite a Brazilian thing to do, rather than a Spanish one - it works under the maxim that "the first defender doesn't win the ball, the 2nd defender might, but the 3rd defender must". We could see this working by the number of times we forced the Fulham midfield to turn with the ball and play it back, leading to some pressure on their defense as Shelvey, Suarez and Suso did good jobs of tracking the passes and pressing them (although Shelvey lacks the acceleration to be truly effective at this, and Suso can sometimes get disengaged from the flow of play). As we can see from the average positions, though, the attacking midfield three kept it tight horizontally, so there was a tighness to our pressing game that is often missing in the straight 4-3-3 (something Rafa understood, hence the development of the 4-2-3-1 to a high degree). This horizontal pressure also allowed the fullbacks to get more engaged in the attack, so the flow of transition from one phase (defence) to another (attack) was consistent and smooth, allowing us to keep Fulham under positional pressure for most of the game.

Additionally, if we look at the positions of Skrtel and Agger, we can see two things that were different than usual; firstly, Skrtel is usually the more recessed of the two defenders, dropping in behind Agger's line. This has a few reasons - either the opposition attacking from the left, the opposite forwards having pace against Skrtel, and sometimes just general uncertainty about the system in the back. Yesterday, though, they were pretty square to each other, which might indicate growing trust in the system and each other's role within in. It could also be influenced by the return of Lucas and the knowledge that he will drop into the middle and do a central defenders job in a way that Joe Allen can't (no fault of his). Secondly, Agger and Skrtel were closer together than they usually are, and it would be interesting to know if this was a conscious move given the gaps we were hurt in last week, or if it was a subconscious thing, with the pair not wanting to risk being beaten through the middle again. Either way, it worked, it was conventional, and it didn't disrupt the possession game. If it was consciously done, with BR's approval/coaching, then I hope it stays, because it allows them both to defend more naturally, keeps them involved in the movement of the ball, and doesn't preclude them from going wide on certain triggers (GK with the ball, goal kicks, etc.). The analogy to us is a zipper - when the ball is behind, it opens up, but when the ball moves into the forward zones, the central defenders close up together, hurting the space behind. On the other hand, this opens the wings to counterattack, but that has the benefit of making play predictable (the ball has to come inside, and it's only arriving from one direction - not the boy band, though. They are terrible wingers). So hopefully this is a genuine change to the positional play of the defenders, because that central channel is consistently a weak area of the system in a league that more often than not goes directly down the middle.

Lines of attack -
What is interesting to look at the Fulham defender's average positions is that they are pulling towards our left side, but statistically, we attacked a lot more down the right side. The probable reason for this is the threat we posed down that side, augmented by Gerrard's pinpoint passes to Enrique. The combination of Enrique, Suarez and Suso, with Shelvey moving in that zone too, clearly kept the Fulham central defence on their toes. This had the added benefit of isolating Downing and Johnson with Riise, allowing Downing to have a bit of space to express himself and show what a fully-motivated Downing can do. This explains the space he had for both his goal, his shot and his assist. The fact that the defensive midfield trio for Fulham pushed quite far forward (not so much in support of Berbatov, but probably to disturb the possession of Gerrard and Lucas - however, as mentioned earlier, Gerrard was releasing the ball longer and earlier and behind the Fulham fullbacks, so that made that gameplan ineffective quite quickly) meant that the entire attacking midfield three had a lot of space to move and play, forcing the Fulham defence to split their attention away from Suarez, which let him in at least twice with legitimate chances to score (one of which he did). If we add Sturridge and one more mobile forwards (including Borini when fit), I think we'll see more games like this one, in terms of the attack. If we can keep the defence solidified like we did yesterday, I think that even the most doubtful fan can see the progress that can be made in the second half of the season. We may not meet our actual table position targets, but I don't think we'd be far off with more performances like yesterday
Better looking than Samie.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 06:59:29 pm »
The  important thing to me was to see the players having learned the lesson from the Villa game. Everybody worked tireless for the team, closing down, tackles, making themselves available... the basics of football.

Evenmore important, the players will hopefully have realised that it´s just not possible to do it any other way. We have to work, we have to outpass them, be calm and show a lot of discipline in defending and hopefully the players will trust Rodgers again a little bit more after this game.

I thought Gerrard was excellent yesterday, excactly the kind of performance I have been expecting from him for quite some time now. His ego was nowhere to be seen, instead a player who worked for the team, covered for his team mates, played the simple pass in order to secure the ball after winning it back, waiting for the right moment for a clever run, no rushed passing or movement, a team performance with this extra quality which can be expected from top talent like Gerrard with the goal coming as a result and as a reward.

Stoke will show how much the team as a unit has grown so far. If the players keep up the concentration and Rodgers making some clever changes there will be a realistic possibility to win this.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 07:52:51 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 07:06:13 pm »
Its impossible for me to accurately judge how we performed against Fullham. Watching Match of the Day again showed how little pressing Fullham did which completely negated the point of Jol packing the midfield. Both Lucas and Gerrard and all the time in the world to flight in passes (and it helped that Gerrard's hollywood passes were wonderfully accurate).

The only question that rings in my mind is how would the team put out on Saturday perform against Stoke, a physical team who will press us hard.

There was a big difference in our performance compared to the Villa game. People saying it was because of Fulham being weak only stating half of the truth.

Compared to the Villa game, we made the extra little effort in almost everything we did on the pitch. Movement off the ball, making available for a pass, closing down and outnumber in order to win back the ball. It was all there yesterday, in contrast to the Villa game and it just showed how much of a difference it makes to put in this extra couple of yards.

If we manage to do this against Stoke as well, and Rodgers not making some major tactical mistake (like Chelsea away), we will see a similar performance compared to Everton or Norwich away.

If we don´t, we will go down.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 07:10:18 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 07:11:09 pm »
That was an excellent performance. But I think our full-backs also need a mention. Both of them had the ball at the goal-line in the Fulham penalty area. Either we are really that good that we could find our fullbacks with the ball in those positions or Fulham were really bad.

The more I look at it the more I think Villa were just a blip. a lot of things went wrong, but we were doing the same to Villa last week, could not score when we were on top, and then we got deflated when they did. If we had scored early, very likely we would have won that game.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 07:30:25 pm »
It evoked memories of him doing this against Man Utd in his first season when his toe poke did make its way under the keeper before being brilliantly put over the line by Dirk Kuyt.   

Ha!

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 08:40:20 pm »
Really pleased with that. Fulham admittedly were poor, didn't control the game at all, very static which made it easier for us. However we took advantage and exploited it.

I wrote before the game how it was important that we took advantage of Fulham's weakness between the lines. That's why I wasn't surprised that both Suso and Shelvey started. The front four players of our 4-2-3-1 all looked to receive the ball between the lines, either from deep positions or from the sides when the full backs got forward. We overloaded that key area very well and Fulham couldn't deal with it. It meant that Lucas and Gerrard got more time on the ball and when a Fulham midfielder did try and close one of those two down, there was always space for one of the front players between the lines.

As for Gerrard, he was superb. I think there's been too many people saying Gerrard has played too deep this season, when the real problem has been when he's played a half and half role, by which I mean when he hasn't played as a holding midfielder, nor as a no.10 (which he can't really do anyway, or not in the traditional sense of the role). Today, he played next to Lucas for much of it and was superb. Admittedly Fulham allowed him space and time on the ball but his passing was good, his switch of play was very good from that deeper role and helped us to dictate the game. Our problem with Gerrard is not whether he plays deep or high, it's about giving him a defined role. You either play him as part of a two man pivot or you push him high as a second striker or as a wide forward (though he'd have to do a lot of running in the latter).

Enrique and Johnson consistently look a threat moving high. You could tell we missed Enrique against Villa and it showed here. I thought it was particularly noteworthy how often we opened up space on both sides for the full backs to move inside diagonally on the ball: they get the ball, play it forward to the wide player on their side who moves wide creating space in the middle for the return, allowing the full back to attack from out-to-in. Clearly a move we have been working on and it works really well.

One weakness today; again we were sometimes vulnerable on transitions. Under Rafa, although we played 4-2-3-1, we defended in two lines of four and pressed from that shape. At the moment, we're focussing on retaining our 4-2-3-1 even when we lose the ball. There were a few times in the first half when there was space on the attack for Fulham, either side of Lucas and Gerrard which caused us a few problems because our wide players weren't dropping in to create a four in midfield. A minor down point but something we have to be careful of.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 11:20:43 am »
It was a strangely comfortable afternoon - Fulham put no pressure on the ball, couldn't defend set pieces and we scored early -
It was mate. It was even more of a relief that their mandatory good spell lasted about 3 minutes. That's how poor they were, they couldn't even muster more than 5 minutes of pressure. On the other hand it could be argued we didn't permit them - we simply retained control and dominated the ball as if we weren't prepared to share it.

Its a shame to single Shelvey out but to praise the performance of the others requires recognition that his wasn't at any level. I appreciate some may say the same for Suso but seeing him sliding in and chasing later in to the game indicated some spirit.

And what about Enrique, considered to be one of Kenny's better buys then faded late last season and now has become a force in our attack. But we must acknowledge his defending attributes - in particular I was pleased that Clatenburg allowed him to be physical, he wasn't penalised for using his body against his opponent as if to say "that's my fucking ball".

Kudos to Downing also, his right-angled pass to Gerrard defied the ability he's shown so far to execute such a move. Exquisite.
And of course it was proof of where SG should have been playing more this season, until our new arrivals turn up he remains one of our better finishers.

A thoroughly great performance all round.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Round Table: Liverpool v Fulham
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 12:40:54 pm »
There was a big difference in our performance compared to the Villa game. People saying it was because of Fulham being weak only stating half of the truth.

I think we dominated both teams but the difference was Villa had counter attacking weapons to hurt us and worked there tails off defensively, Fulham didn't. Benteke, Holman and Weiderman run there guts out all game both offensively and defensively. We had a similar problem with Long and Co at West Bromwich and then Tevez at City.

We've pretty much dominated everyone in general play but teams with hard working forwards that are capable  of attack with speed/pace on the counter we've come unstuck against.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 10:17:17 pm »
The last two matches showed the importance of an early goal. It's pretty clear that with an early goal we could have defeated Villa. We had the chances. We will never know what could have happened to Fulham if they had managed to survive the first 20 minutes. This win was an encouraging sign before Stoke, but Rodgers will have to adapt to their physicality, and I would not be surprised by a 352, but that's another topic.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 10:48:02 pm »
I didn't see a lot of difference between our performances of Villa and Fulham the difference being we were clinical against Fulham and clincial Villa were clinical against us. I have no doubt in my mind that had we scored first v Villa we would have won the game comfortably.