Author Topic: Newcastle - RIP Jamal Khashoggi; Free Salma al-Shehab  (Read 1924399 times)

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: General Newcastle United thread - now with added Benitez
« Reply #8880 on: April 18, 2017, 02:09:56 pm »
No one remembers who won the Championship.  If they go up, thats all that will be remembered, not where they finished.

Its a little bit more nervous than perhaps it should have been........but they'll go up no doubt.

Yup - promotion is the main aim here.

I'll be extremely disapointed if he walks out on them in a row over funding in the summer, however.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #8881 on: April 18, 2017, 02:15:03 pm »
Very disappointing run-in for Newcastle, the bigger fuck up was conceding that late goal v Leeds the other night though when they had the game won. I think that affected the players heads at the weekend.

But I don't see Rafa letting them slip up now.

Credit to Huddersfield though for keeping the pressure up and congrats to Brighton.

But as I said above, if your leading goalscorer and one of your best players only starts 60% of your games throughout the season then it's not a surprise to see them drop points in games they're expected to win.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8882 on: April 18, 2017, 04:21:45 pm »
But as I said above, if your leading goalscorer and one of your best players only starts 60% of your games throughout the season then it's not a surprise to see them drop points in games they're expected to win.

I find it interesting that Liverpool fans rightly bemoaning some of our results because we've had a lot of key injuries seem to think Rafa should not be affected by very similar important absences.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8883 on: April 18, 2017, 04:25:29 pm »
A few months ago I said in here that they are 'bottling' and not doing as well as they should and I got proper slated.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8884 on: April 18, 2017, 04:58:01 pm »
A few months ago I said in here that they are 'bottling' and not doing as well as they should and I got proper slated.

A few months ago, January/ February?  They lost one game from their first 12 in 2017 and were leading the Championship.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8885 on: April 18, 2017, 05:26:59 pm »
A few months ago, January/ February?  They lost one game from their first 12 in 2017 and were leading the Championship.

They were still losing and drawing games. Same applies now except Brighton and Huddersfield have kept winning.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #8886 on: April 18, 2017, 05:38:39 pm »
I do think people here pay a lot more attention to the form this season because its Rafa

It happens in the Championship, unless you get a runaway winner you are gonna get dips and troughs. Its a tough league, as long as the end result is promotion then its job done. That's it.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8887 on: April 18, 2017, 05:53:06 pm »
I find it interesting that Liverpool fans rightly bemoaning some of our results because we've had a lot of key injuries seem to think Rafa should not be affected by very similar important absences.
Nonsense. We are competing against teams with superior or equal resources. Newcastle's resources probably dwarf half the championship put together, never mind individual teams. They are the last team that can moan about individual absences. That said, Rafa has done his job if they get promoted.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8888 on: April 18, 2017, 06:01:14 pm »
Nonsense. We are competing against teams with superior or equal resources. Newcastle's resources probably dwarf half the championship put together, never mind individual teams. They are the last team that can moan about individual absences. That said, Rafa has done his job if they get promoted.

Is right

Promotion is the aim and he is getting it. Will be interesting to see how generous Ashley is in the summer

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #8889 on: April 18, 2017, 06:37:23 pm »
It's like getting a C in your GCSE's. You passed but it was nowhere near the result you expected to achieve. Major squad additions needed or else they'll be like Sunderland are this year.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8890 on: April 18, 2017, 07:03:37 pm »
They were still losing and drawing games. Same applies now except Brighton and Huddersfield have kept winning.

All 3 teams have lost games, Brighton have lost 3 less, that's the difference. But they haven't lost Glenn Murray or Knockaert their key goalscorers throughout the season to injury.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8891 on: April 18, 2017, 08:42:59 pm »
Simple hard truth he's not as good as he once was, the old Rafa who was a top world class manager between 2002-2009 would have pissed the league,  he's a shadow of his former self. The game has moved on same thing happend to Mourinho who is less effective. They are still good managers mind but way past their peak.

Yet you know fuck all, still trolling on this forum I see as well.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8892 on: April 18, 2017, 08:45:48 pm »
Yet you know fuck all, still trolling on this forum I see as well.

Mate he's spot on though. 

Rafa's still good but times have moved on and seems like he hasn't.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8893 on: April 18, 2017, 09:31:36 pm »
It's like getting a C in your GCSE's. You passed but it was nowhere near the result you expected to achieve. Major squad additions needed or else they'll be like Sunderland are this year.

I think a C grade is a high grade for a lot of folk who post in the main LFC forum!

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8894 on: April 18, 2017, 10:21:03 pm »

He is way out of his comfort zone down in the championship. As soon as they get back up they will be fine as he can go back to being the underdog style manager he has had success as.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8895 on: April 18, 2017, 10:27:16 pm »

Based on what mate? I'm not someone who is blindly worshipping him, he's not above criticism, just genuinely puzzled by posts like this.

His new side are as good as promoted. Yes he had money to spend in the summer but given the turmoil that club has been in both on and off the pitch the Geordie lads on here will tell you how much work he's done off the pitch as well as on it this season.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:28:57 pm by Phil M »

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #8896 on: April 19, 2017, 02:29:40 am »
What money to spend last summer?

Didn't Newcastle have a positive net spend?

He sold a bunch and brought in a bunch. Ashley had money left over.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #8897 on: April 19, 2017, 02:43:04 am »
Could see Newcastle being very interested in signing Lucas and perhaps even Sturridge. Both would be very good fits for them given that Lucas knows Rafa's system well and could be something of a catalyst like Cambiasso was for Leicester, and Sturridge would surely score them the goals they need even if he's out here and there.

Incidentally, it would also be funny to see Newcastle sign Moreno, just to see the reaction on here when Rafa coached him into a very good fullback (as he was at Sevilla as well).

I know these are the "cast-offs" from Liverpool, but I genuinely think that all three would be good buys for Newcastle (assuming that they could afford them), given that they will need a PL-proven goalscorer, experience in midfield, and also a leftback to upgrade on Dummett/Anita.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #8898 on: April 19, 2017, 04:55:41 am »
Could see Newcastle being very interested in signing Lucas and perhaps even Sturridge. Both would be very good fits for them given that Lucas knows Rafa's system well and could be something of a catalyst like Cambiasso was for Leicester, and Sturridge would surely score them the goals they need even if he's out here and there.

Incidentally, it would also be funny to see Newcastle sign Moreno, just to see the reaction on here when Rafa coached him into a very good fullback (as he was at Sevilla as well).

I know these are the "cast-offs" from Liverpool, but I genuinely think that all three would be good buys for Newcastle (assuming that they could afford them), given that they will need a PL-proven goalscorer, experience in midfield, and also a leftback to upgrade on Dummett/Anita.

They won't be able to afford Surridge and his wages, and Sturridge is too good of a player to go to a newly promoted club who will inevitably struggle to stay up. Plenty of other established Premier League clubs will snap our hands off for him, and for a decent fee I'm sure.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8899 on: April 19, 2017, 05:04:25 am »

Has there ever been a relegated club with a negative net spend?

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8900 on: April 19, 2017, 05:27:07 am »
A very well done to Brighton btw, they seem like all-round good guys. Proper club, fans, decent manager. Could have let last season's collapse break them, instead they have doubled down and held their nerve in the run in while Newcastle threw it all away (title).

Offline Paully

• Not the BlackAndWhitey one!
  • Kopite
« Reply #8901 on: April 19, 2017, 07:48:01 am »

Net spend of minus £30 million and he had to cope with losing 17 full internationals!

We're lucky to have him and if he's allowed to spend what he needs in the summer then he'll prove his worth!

His remit was promotion and he is going to succeed in doing that!

We had a huge turnaround in players last summer - Brighton have had that squad and improved it which should have went up last season!

Of our four stand out performers - Gayle has played 26 out of 43 and Clark 32 out of 43!

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8902 on: April 19, 2017, 08:55:27 am »
For all the people qustioning Benitez, i'll put money on Newcastle being better prepared for the Prem than Brighton. Theyll also finish above them.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8903 on: April 19, 2017, 09:05:38 am »
For all the people qustioning Benitez, i'll put money on Newcastle being better prepared for the Prem than Brighton. Theyll also finish above them.

;D What a hugely bold prediction given they'll probably spend about 50m + more!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #8904 on: April 19, 2017, 09:14:08 am »

;D
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8905 on: April 19, 2017, 09:21:03 am »
;D What a hugely bold prediction given they'll probably spend about 50m + more!
Not a given considering the -£30m net spend comments above. In comparison what was Brightons net spend in the summer?

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8906 on: April 19, 2017, 09:48:26 am »

That's got to be the shittest bold prediction ever ;D

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8907 on: April 19, 2017, 11:04:46 am »
That's got to be the shittest bold prediction ever ;D
Never claimed it to be bold I just dont see all the fuss about finishing runners up in the championship. How many times have we seen those who get promoted in second place or through the playoffs become more secure in the prem than those who win it?

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8908 on: April 19, 2017, 03:57:12 pm »
Never claimed it to be bold I just dont see all the fuss about finishing runners up in the championship. How many times have we seen those who get promoted in second place or through the playoffs become more secure in the prem than those who win it?

Makes absolutely no odds how they get promoted.  Top the league/ 2nd/ playoffs (obviously not the wanted choice!) just as long as they get back up.

And once they do, you'd expect they'd be better equipped to stay up than the others.

And what a perfect manager to have at the helm for the challenge!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #8909 on: April 19, 2017, 04:11:37 pm »
Newcastle necessarily had to have a negative net spend, they did go from Premier League money to Championship money + parachute.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8910 on: April 19, 2017, 04:27:20 pm »
Not a given considering the -£30m net spend comments above. In comparison what was Brightons net spend in the summer?

It's a brilliant example of how negative spend is misleading. Without looking at the figures I'd imagine they spent way more on their squad than Brighton or anyone else in the championship, selling 2 players for £55m will give you a negative net spend in that division, doesn't mean Rafa is working on a shoestring. I'd also imagine they have a significantly higher wage bill than Brighton or anyone else.

That's not to say I don't think Rafa has done a decent job, it's not easy going down & bouncing straight back up (Aston Villa). Given another summer to shape the squad Rafa will have them going ok in the Prmier league next season.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #8911 on: April 19, 2017, 04:35:40 pm »
It's a brilliant example of how negative spend is misleading. Without looking at the figures I'd imagine they spent way more on their squad than Brighton or anyone else in the championship, selling 2 players for £55m will give you a negative net spend in that division, doesn't mean Rafa is working on a shoestring. I'd also imagine they have a significantly higher wage bill than Brighton or anyone else.

That's not to say I don't think Rafa has done a decent job, it's not easy going down & bouncing straight back up (Aston Villa). Given another summer to shape the squad Rafa will have them going ok in the Prmier league next season.

I think Villa may have spent more than Newcastle mate.

According to this... (for what it's worth - and I haven't checked the others - though will do again after a season of 'Arry at Birmingham ;))

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/aston-villa/english-football-teams/aston-villa-transfer - £76.6m spent, £17.1m recouped - net spend £59.5m

&

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/newcastle-united/english-football-teams/newcastle-united-transfers - £55m spent, £85.3m recouped - net spend £-30.3m
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #8912 on: April 19, 2017, 04:51:14 pm »

According to this... (for what it's worth - and I haven't checked the others - though will do again after a season of 'Arry at Birmingham ;))

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/aston-villa/english-football-teams/aston-villa-transfer - £76.6m spent, £17.1m recouped - net spend £59.5m

&

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/newcastle-united/english-football-teams/newcastle-united-transfers - £55m spent, £85.3m recouped - net spend £-30.3m

Villa spent more than Liverpool did last summer, bit nuts that!

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Paully

• Not the BlackAndWhitey one!
  • Kopite
« Reply #8915 on: April 20, 2017, 12:24:41 pm »

&

This is what boils my piss as everyone labels us as the big spenders!

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8916 on: April 20, 2017, 12:37:40 pm »
8th highest wage bill in UK football.

That's a much bigger indicator than transfer fees
cyas

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8917 on: April 20, 2017, 12:40:30 pm »
This is what boils my piss as everyone labels us as the big spenders!

To be fair you guys spent like £90 million the season before, that's probably why you're considered big spenders.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #8918 on: April 20, 2017, 01:25:20 pm »
I haven't seen much of Newcastle this season but I was shocked at how poor they were at Ipswich on Monday. They lacked any invention going forward and looked vulnerable defensively against a pretty limited Ipswich attack.

Maybe having Gayle missing was key. Maybe Ritchie missing that headed chance then losing the ball 30 seconds later that led to the opening goal was the key.

I don't know but it didn't look like a Rafa team to me. At least not a Rafa team we cam to expect from 2005-06 onwards. It was more typical of some of the way displays we got in 2004-05. Maybe that's an indication of Rafa not having the time to drill his players properly. We know he's a training ground manager. One who is meticulous in his training methods and tactics. Maybe the relentlessness of games every midweek don't help him in this division. Brighton have had 3 years to implement a tactical plan and build towards this promotion. Newcastle have had a bigger budget but lots of ins and outs and an adjustment to a different manager/tactical system.

It might seem like I'm making excuses for Rafa. I'm not. Just potential reasons why there is 1 team performing better than them this year. In the end it doesn't matter though. All that matters is who that you get promoted and that you stay up the following season. If they can keep Rafa and back him, I think Newcastle are better placed to do that than Brighton or any of the play off teams.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8919 on: April 20, 2017, 01:44:27 pm »
The Everton fans I've spoken to are absolutely delighted Newcastle are wobbling and that Brighton look like they're going to go up as champions. They're also hoping Newcastle drop out of the automatic promotion places and miss out in the play-offs.

After all these years they still despise Rafa. All because he criticised their approach to a derby game saying they played like they were a smaller club visiting Anfield. Bitters heads then fell off as they accused him of calling them a small club. He didn't.

Mind you, I shouldn't be surprised. They still hate Clive Thomas and that was 40 years ago.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:47:11 pm by Lycan »
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”