Author Topic: Raheem Shaquille Sterling  (Read 676682 times)

Offline TheUSSR

• Anny Roader
  • Trotyovskyi, CCCP GangWarfare, TSAR
Re: Raheem Shaquille Sterling
« Reply #5880 on: October 5, 2014, 11:43:25 pm »
Smashing. Hope it's an 8 year Pardew contract!
Lazar Marković, Čačak, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia

Offline LGarcia10

• Main Stander
  • Make us dream
« Reply #5881 on: October 6, 2014, 10:20:56 am »
That run he had on Saturday was magical, surprised nobody has mentioned it - Can anybody find a video?

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5882 on: October 7, 2014, 01:18:26 am »
Raheem isn't too far off the level of Hazard right now. A little short in end product and maybe he currently lacks the ability to flip a switch, go up a gear and win matches in the blink of an eye, like Hazard can. And he hasn't proved it consistently, on the biggest stages yet.

But he's 4 years younger. His potential is whatever Hazard's potential is. The age of Messi and Ronaldo will be over, and the likes of Gotze, Pogba, Hazard and Sterling will be the next batch.

10 year contract please.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #5883 on: October 7, 2014, 01:19:06 am »
May be a stupid question, but is there a maximum number of years a contract can be?

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #5884 on: October 7, 2014, 01:58:54 am »
needs some gold teeth
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5885 on: October 7, 2014, 02:06:56 am »
May be a stupid question, but is there a maximum number of years a contract can be?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #5886 on: October 7, 2014, 03:39:04 am »

I don't think so. You usually get 4-5 year contracts for relatively young players you've invested heavily in, but sometimes you'll get players with much longer contracts as well. I think James got a 6 year contract from RM? Or was that Kroos?

Usually it's not in a club's interest to offer too long a contract because it exposes the club to risk - e.g. long term/career ending injury to player.

It's also not always in the player's best interests to sign too long a contract if they feel that their performances can get them a better deal later on.

In Sterling's case, I think the club probably wouldn't want to offer him say, a 10 year deal because Sterling's agent would probably want him to be paid £250,000/week at the age of 19, if not more. Sterling also wouldn't want to sign a contract as long as that because when he hits his prime in 5-6 years, his value in wages might be a great deal more than £250,000 a week.

Anyway, I think Sterling's contract runs until the end of the 16/17 season, which means about another 2.5 years left. Given that he's basically five times the player now than he was than when he signed his last extension, it's definitely time for a new contract. A good outcome for us would be if we managed to keep him to a ~£100,000 a week contract until he's about 22-23, at which point if he continues his development we can offer him the silly contract that the likes of Rooney, Aguero, Suarez et al have. On performances alone, he's probably worth that £100,000 a week. But I think his agent will be looking for us to shell out a fair bit more given his age and likely potential.

We don't have the strongest bargaining position though. Interest in his services, even ignoring all the rumours, are likely to be very high. The best thing we can hope for is that the strength of his relationship with Brendan will give us some leverage to keep his wages at a manageable level for this contract.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5887 on: October 7, 2014, 06:26:31 am »
The stories about Real Madrid and PSG the other day as well are very poor form. It's obviously people around him leaking it or even making it up. I feel for the lad if he has people around him who inflate his ego to feather their own nest, let alone the disrespect it shows to Brendan who had worked brilliantly on Raheem. The club has shown with Suarez they won't be made to appear stupid and I hope they continue that approach here.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #5888 on: October 7, 2014, 09:48:18 am »
The International break has come at the right time...or it would've done if the Owl didnt have him as first name on the England teamsheet......the kid needs a rest to get his fitness and his head together....the Suarez departure / Sturridge absence has effected him more than any other player at the club
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5889 on: October 7, 2014, 09:51:03 am »
The stories about Real Madrid and PSG the other day as well are very poor form. It's obviously people around him leaking it or even making it up. I feel for the lad if he has people around him who inflate his ego to feather their own nest, let alone the disrespect it shows to Brendan who had worked brilliantly on Raheem. The club has shown with Suarez they won't be made to appear stupid and I hope they continue that approach here.
We don't know that, the interest might be genuine. It has been going around with Real at least since the January window.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5890 on: October 7, 2014, 10:20:59 am »
We don't know that, the interest might be genuine. It has been going around with Real at least since the January window.

I don't doubt they'll be looking but the stories recently, including an Independent 'exclusive' on PSG's interest, seem remarkably to coincide with contract talks. I think it's cheap.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5891 on: October 7, 2014, 12:48:17 pm »
Can't see Madrid being remotely interested in him just yet. PSG maybe but even they have better options and I can't see Raheem dying to move there.

Offline Smithy_88

• Anny Roader
  • I Fucking Love Lucas....
« Reply #5892 on: October 7, 2014, 01:00:12 pm »
I cant see him moving yet anyway. Maybe at 23 - 24. He's not a complete rounded player yet and needs improvement.

He can get improvement with Rodgers, fans love him and he has been here since he's a kid. Easy choice to make no matter what your agent is saying to you in your ear.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #5893 on: October 7, 2014, 01:06:59 pm »
He seems to have lost his confidence. His first touch in pressure situations has been noticeably poor recently. Yesterday and against Basel he was in great positions but his touch betrayed him. No doubt he will improve again though; this recent poor spell at least reminds us of the land's inexperience so hopefully he will be cut some slack.

The thing with Raheem is that he has a magical touch when in difficult situations. Put him in a position surrounded by opposition and he will very often leave them bewildered by one of those mazy runs. His weakness is that he isn't able to do the simple things as well. Very often at the end of one of those mazy runs he will finish it with a feeble attempt as though he is trying to be clever and walk the ball in instead of just smashing it and when he's through on goal with plenty of space he sometimes gets his feet muddled up like against Basel.
Thus can be very frustrating especially when our confidence is low and results aren't going the way we want as at present but it's something that will improve with time.
We have a gem on our hands but he needs to be handled correctly and hopefully the return of Sturridge will take some of the pressure off him.
As for the rumours he won't be going anywhere anytime soon. He's here and knows it's the right place to be at this stage in his career.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2014, 01:08:49 pm by redprodigal »

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5894 on: October 7, 2014, 03:00:09 pm »
He hasn't lost confidence, he's just played like ten million games in a row and been held up and depended on in all of them

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5895 on: October 7, 2014, 03:03:21 pm »
He hasn't lost confidence, he's just played like ten million games in a row and been held up and depended on in all of them
Clearly jaded from being over-played and over-reliant on. Fine margins with attackers, lose a bit of sharpness, and you will get robbed, lose control of the ball, and be not quite with it.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #5896 on: October 7, 2014, 04:10:27 pm »
If Rodgers is so worried about him needing a rest then he shouldn't have played 120 minutes in the Capital cup. We can't really complain about England when we are playing him too much.

International friendlies, and a qualifier against San Marino? Fuck, a League 1 side should be able to beat San Marino, let alone the mighty machine under the expert guidance of the gilded cock Roy, that is England. Also, If Dan was fit (also for CC), or we beat Everton in the derby, Raheem doesn't play against Brom. And who do we have to thank for that???

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5897 on: October 7, 2014, 04:23:41 pm »
why would Real want Sterling, when they let go a much better player Di Maria?

" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5898 on: October 7, 2014, 05:01:55 pm »

How often is logic and such involved with their transfers?

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #5899 on: October 7, 2014, 06:23:06 pm »

I don't see them wanting Sterling at this point, regardless of them letting go of other players.

Real Madrid need two things in a major transfer, the first being a ready made product. Sterling is not that, he is all potential still, and unless we get back to the scintillating type of football we saw last season, this year could be a step back for Raheem, as he does not seem to be handling the greater attacking responsibility terribly well. AT the moment he is more likely to be on the "how the feck did he miss that" type  highlight, taking over from Gervinho.

The second is the capacity to sell merchandise.

Since Beckham, there hasn't been an English player with world wide recognition. Sterling is not that, nor do I see that happening very quickly - it might in four or five years, and it would need him to start scoring a lot of goals, highlight reel type goals. 

I don't see many Real Madrid tops being sold in England because Sterling's name is on the back of it.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5900 on: October 7, 2014, 07:04:24 pm »
this year could be a step back for Raheem, as he does not seem to be handling the greater attacking responsibility terribly well. AT the moment he is more likely to be on the "how the feck did he miss that" type  highlight, taking over from Gervinho.

Yeah basically I agree with your sentiments but this bit is bullshit

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #5901 on: October 7, 2014, 07:13:12 pm »
A 19 year old having a few below par games. The horror.

Offline acks

• Kopite
« Reply #5902 on: October 7, 2014, 07:26:51 pm »
A 19 year old having a few below par games. The horror.

Exactly, and despite his poor form, he's still providing goals and assists.

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
« Reply #5903 on: October 7, 2014, 07:32:03 pm »
this year could be a step back for Raheem, as he does not seem to be handling the greater attacking responsibility terribly well. AT the moment he is more likely to be on the "how the feck did he miss that" type  highlight, taking over from Gervinho.

Christ, awful couple of sentences there. 3 goals and 2 assists in 6 league games is doing just fine.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5904 on: October 7, 2014, 07:33:57 pm »
I would like to see him get a bit of a break now and again, just to protect him from long term burnout. He had a long summer with England and was continually played by us since December last year, so hopefully Brendan will maybe take him out of the side every now and again.

Offline scumbagcollege

• pRick
  • Kopite
  • Kick Out The Jams, Motherfuckers!
« Reply #5905 on: October 7, 2014, 07:36:44 pm »
Maybe they reckon Raheem has a higher ceiling? :D
"Reuniting Status Quo would be like trying to get your own dick up your arse - impossible."
St Francis De Rossi

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5906 on: October 9, 2014, 09:34:30 am »
Hope he is not playing tonight, he needs a bloody rest. You would think one time winners, nation of 60 million, the inventors of the game, will have enough to beat San Marino.

Offline Je99ers

• Kopite
« Reply #5907 on: October 9, 2014, 09:25:42 pm »
I hope that boy is okay after being replaced at half time...

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5908 on: October 10, 2014, 09:43:25 am »
Any the truth in stories that the rentboys and shitcoat are in for him for 48 million?

Offline joe ®

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5909 on: October 10, 2014, 09:45:11 am »
He'd make a decent backup for Oscar I guess.

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
« Reply #5910 on: October 10, 2014, 09:46:29 am »
Any the truth in stories that the rentboys and shitcoat are in for him for 48 million?
Its the easiest piece of rumor to start. Sterling started at a London club, Chelsea are doing well in the league, Sterling's agent making noises. There you go.
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5911 on: October 10, 2014, 10:20:40 am »

A quick google shows the source as the Daily Star so take a guess
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5912 on: October 10, 2014, 10:53:23 am »

Straight swap with Hazard, Costa and Courtois. They'd improve their home-grown quota and seriously reduce their wage bill at the same time.

;)
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline tyrolean_red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5913 on: October 10, 2014, 10:58:31 am »
Bit it would be a wise move for him. Just as it was for salah, de bruyne, lukaku and so on. He would probably also get game time somewhere in the dutch league
Thank you Stevie! It was a pleasure.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5914 on: October 10, 2014, 11:03:53 am »
Sterling and Atsu on the bench, dreams and songs to sing

wait

/

His agent is coming off as a right twat.
YNWA.

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
« Reply #5915 on: October 10, 2014, 11:56:26 am »
Sterling and Atsu on the bench, dreams and songs to sing

wait

/

His agent is coming off as a right twat.
He is doing what he is paid to do.
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5916 on: October 10, 2014, 12:37:19 pm »
Maybe they reckon Raheem has a higher ceiling? :D

Yeah but if he moves to Madrid he'll need a new house anyway. Fuckin buying people based on the dimensions of their living rooms, modern football eh.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline scumbagcollege

• pRick
  • Kopite
  • Kick Out The Jams, Motherfuckers!
« Reply #5917 on: October 10, 2014, 02:14:06 pm »
Yeah but if he moves to Madrid he'll need a new house anyway. Fuckin buying people based on the dimensions of their living rooms, modern football eh.
Ha ha! Remember when some people reckoned Zaha had a 'higher ceiling' than Raheem
! :D
"Reuniting Status Quo would be like trying to get your own dick up your arse - impossible."
St Francis De Rossi