Author Topic: Raheem Shaquille Sterling  (Read 676680 times)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Raheem Shaquille Sterling
« Reply #4200 on: June 12, 2014, 04:52:37 am »
expecting great things from Sterling is all well and fine, but i urge people not to get caught up in this chance he has. for all we know he'll play a limited role for England and they don't get out of their group..

We absolutely have no right to expect a 19 y/o lad to do anything. But he's probably the in form player in the team. His last 3 months for Liverpool we're spectacular.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #4201 on: June 12, 2014, 04:56:43 am »
The problem is Sterling has been taught that pushing a player back towards his own goal is how to defend. With England they will want him to prioritise maintaining shape instead of applying pressure. There is no point in having 9 outfield players maintaining shape and just Sterling pressuring Pirlo as nobody is blocking his passing lanes. That is the problem for me regardless of who marks Pirlo.

Pirlo was a nightmare for England in the Euro's as they stood off Italy and let him pick out any passes he wants. Either England as a whole rectify that or Sterling will have the impossible task of preventing Pirlo from picking out easy passes to players around him.

Excellent points there Babu. World of difference between how Sterling has been brought up to defend, and how Hodgson will expect him to play
Better looking than Samie.

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #4202 on: June 12, 2014, 05:12:24 am »

Owl: Where did you get that sno-cone?
Raheem: Over there my man.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4203 on: June 12, 2014, 05:22:05 am »
Excellent points there Babu. World of difference between how Sterling has been brought up to defend, and how Hodgson will expect him to play

I still think there is some intelligence to the move.

Pirlo will unfortunately always have easy outs due to our lack of pressing but Sterling sitting on him still stop him from having the time and space that allows him to do his best work. And if he ever tries to take on Sterling I think that could end very badly for the Italian.

On the counter too Sterling's pace virtually puts Pirlo out of the game if they have an even start. 
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #4204 on: June 12, 2014, 05:37:29 am »
I still think there is some intelligence to the move.

Pirlo will unfortunately always have easy outs due to our lack of pressing but Sterling sitting on him still stop him from having the time and space that allows him to do his best work. And if he ever tries to take on Sterling I think that could end very badly for the Italian.

On the counter too Sterling's pace virtually puts Pirlo out of the game if they have an even start.

Not disagreeing with Sterling being positioned there, but he WILL be asked to defend differently than he's used to
Better looking than Samie.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4205 on: June 12, 2014, 06:24:38 am »
Rodgers:
Good luck with that under Hodgson.

Hodgson won't play a diamond. For starters he's very conservative, but above all, he'd be an eejit to introduce a brand new formation to a team that with exception of Gerrard, Henderson and Sterling hasn't played it before (and even they hadn't played it until about Feb or March) and especially against the national team perhaps most capable of dealing with tactical variation in the Italians.

Would love to see Raheem start, he's a cracking player to watch. Welbeck has his uses too but if Sturridge is the guy running in behind and running the channels, Welbeck's uses are a lot more limited.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #4206 on: June 12, 2014, 03:21:01 pm »
The problem is Sterling has been taught that pushing a player back towards his own goal is how to defend. With England they will want him to prioritise maintaining shape instead of applying pressure. There is no point in having 9 outfield players maintaining shape and just Sterling pressuring Pirlo as nobody is blocking his passing lanes. That is the problem for me regardless of who marks Pirlo.

Pirlo was a nightmare for England in the Euro's as they stood off Italy and let him pick out any passes he wants. Either England as a whole rectify that or Sterling will have the impossible task of preventing Pirlo from picking out easy passes to players around him.

I agree with every word. Hopefully, the Owl will have a better game plan than just man-marking Pirlo out of the game. Even if Sterling or Welbeck is successful at it, the Italians are too good collectively to beaten so easily. You're right. I think Rooney and Sturridge more than anyone will make this a very difficult task for Sterling. That is part of why I like it as a test. Pirlo is a master at creating just the right amount of space to play his optimal game. Sterling will have to expand his tactical awareness--always thinking, thinking, thinking for 90 minutes--if he is going to hang on defensively. Will be a great challenge for him! Even if it proves impossible as you say.       
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:26:00 pm by wemmick »

Offline mikroski

• Main Stander
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #4207 on: June 12, 2014, 04:41:54 pm »

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #4208 on: June 12, 2014, 04:45:57 pm »
I agree with every word. Hopefully, the Owl will have a better game plan than just man-marking Pirlo out of the game. Even if Sterling or Welbeck is successful at it, the Italians are too good collectively to beaten so easily. You're right. I think Rooney and Sturridge more than anyone will make this a very difficult task for Sterling. That is part of why I like it as a test. Pirlo is a master at creating just the right amount of space to play his optimal game. Sterling will have to expand his tactical awareness--always thinking, thinking, thinking for 90 minutes--if he is going to hang on defensively. Will be a great challenge for him! Even if it proves impossible as you say.     

The other thing I would say about Hodgson is that he likes to apportion blame, particularly on lower status or younger players. Pirlo picks England apart then that is on Sterling because he was specifically told to mark him. Not a failing of his system which has never failed him.

I think Sterling is being set up to fail here. Don't get me wrong, out of everybody eligible to play for England he is absolutely the right person for the job. Unfortunately, Hodgson is not.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4209 on: June 12, 2014, 05:40:09 pm »
The other thing I would say about Hodgson is that he likes to apportion blame, particularly on lower status or younger players. Pirlo picks England apart then that is on Sterling because he was specifically told to mark him. Not a failing of his system which has never failed him.

I think Sterling is being set up to fail here. Don't get me wrong, out of everybody eligible to play for England he is absolutely the right person for the job. Unfortunately, Hodgson is not.

Agreed. I'll be cursing at the TV if Hodgson sets Sterling up to fail. (Seems Welbeck is fit so we may not find out.) But, it would be interesting to see how he would handle it, or what he would come up with on the fly. I'm not sure Sterling has ever been put in a situation where he is being asked to play an improbable zero-sum or more probable negative-sum game from the start, where the onus is on him alone to change it to a positive-sum game. I don't think Brendan has ever put him in that situation. And rightly so for one so young.   

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #4210 on: June 12, 2014, 07:44:37 pm »

I think this could be the first time you and I agree on something  ;D  nice one
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Yakyb

• Kopite
  • Wirralien Born and Bred
« Reply #4211 on: June 12, 2014, 07:49:09 pm »

i would say that is about right

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4212 on: June 14, 2014, 07:49:18 pm »
Starting as n10 tonight.

Tear them to pieces.
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #4213 on: June 14, 2014, 07:54:34 pm »
I'm excited.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4214 on: June 14, 2014, 07:56:54 pm »
Mama mia itsa Raheema Sterling!

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4215 on: June 14, 2014, 07:57:19 pm »
Confirmed he's starting?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4216 on: June 14, 2014, 07:59:25 pm »
Go Rašo! :)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4217 on: June 14, 2014, 08:08:28 pm »
Shaq attack!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4218 on: June 14, 2014, 08:15:27 pm »
Go on Raheem. Good luck son!

Online dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #4219 on: June 14, 2014, 10:03:19 pm »
Go on Raheem. Good luck son!
Amen to that brother

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4220 on: June 14, 2014, 10:11:26 pm »
Actually feeling a bit nervous about this game, almost a bit like a Liverpool game. It's because of this lad, I want him to really smash it - and wherever you look on the team sheet you see a Liverpool player. Go on lads, go twat these Italy c*nts.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline MrEazi1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4221 on: June 14, 2014, 10:32:49 pm »
Loved the kid this season, his growth as a player has embodied everything great about Liverpool's season.

Hope he does well for his sake and that England fans don't start moaning on the phone-ins if he doesn't single-handedly drag them to victory.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 10:34:33 pm by MrEazi1 »

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4222 on: June 14, 2014, 10:37:41 pm »
I'm thrilled for him and am excited to watch him, Gerrard, Sturridge, and Hendo play...but all I really care about is that none of them get hurt. Please.

That being said, I have a sneaking suspicion that one day we might be fending off Bale-money transfer attempts for this kid.

Offline PaisleyPrint

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4223 on: June 14, 2014, 11:53:22 pm »
He's having a great game.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4224 on: June 14, 2014, 11:54:48 pm »
Top game for him, absolutely superb! Too bad his early shot didn't go in, would have been deserving.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4225 on: June 15, 2014, 12:00:38 am »
Top game for him, absolutely superb! Too bad his early shot didn't go in, would have been deserving.
Haha i jumped up and down thinking that was in.. Pretty sure BBC changed the score to 1-0 too. Hope he can keep up this performance in the second half.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4226 on: June 15, 2014, 12:26:21 am »

years

old

just amazes me how much better this kid could get and hes already MoTM for england in a world cup game...

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #4227 on: June 15, 2014, 12:48:28 am »

First major tournament.

In Brazil.

Against the Italians.

The only word I can ever use to describe him is frightening.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4228 on: June 15, 2014, 12:58:31 am »

years

old

just amazes me how much better this kid could get and hes already MoTM for england in a world cup game...
And he's ours! We're very, very blessed to have him.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline lfcderek

• Palooka basher Go ed Del Boy lid. Your right to point out wear I am wrong. Deffo more derek than lfc.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4229 on: June 15, 2014, 12:58:40 am »

First major tournament.

In Brazil.

Against the Italians.

The only word I can ever use to describe him is frightening.
Telling exactly that to the wife. She didn't understand what I was saying.

He is though isn't he.
"Don't let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right."
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn`t learn something from him."
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4230 on: June 15, 2014, 01:05:20 am »
Is it too early to call him world class?

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #4231 on: June 15, 2014, 01:05:45 am »
He's done himself and the club proud tonight. Same again next Thursday.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4232 on: June 15, 2014, 01:07:31 am »
Yes, because by definition there's only a couple of handfuls of players in the world that are.

But it's not too early to say he has a very good chance of being world class in just a few years. Amazing potential if he keeps his head straight and stays healthy.  :)
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Kowalski7

• Main Stander
  • 5 Times
« Reply #4233 on: June 15, 2014, 01:07:54 am »
Thought he had  a great game.  Just a shame hodgson told him to stick to the touchline for the last 35 minutes.

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4234 on: June 15, 2014, 01:08:17 am »

Yes. He will be in a couple of years though.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4235 on: June 15, 2014, 01:14:01 am »
Yes. He will be in a couple of years though.

Indeed. He will be a hell of a player.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 01:19:30 am by wemmick »

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4236 on: June 15, 2014, 01:14:09 am »
He's 19.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4237 on: June 15, 2014, 01:17:01 am »
Thought he had  a great game.  Just a shame hodgson told him to stick to the touchline for the last 35 minutes.

He had cramp and his movement was definitely limited after being treated for it. I'm amazed he kept him on the pitch and didn't bring another winger on.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4238 on: June 15, 2014, 01:39:25 am »
Outstanding yet again.

What a player.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4239 on: June 15, 2014, 01:39:58 am »
He's a truly wonderful talent that we need to nurture, develop and protect over the next couple of seasons because his profile just went stratospheric after that performance on the world stage. Our secret is well and truly out now!