Author Topic: Tetris - Is it the best game ever made?  (Read 761 times)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Tetris - Is it the best game ever made?
« on: November 5, 2018, 07:54:43 pm »
 I've never been a Tetris fan. Never really saw the appeal of it, and this is from even going way back to when it first exploded to popularity on the original Gameboy and NES. Yes, it had various other versions before those two, but it's those two that became synonymous with the game.

After 34 years from the original, a brand new version called Tetris Effect is to be released soon on current gen systems and in VR. I tried the VR version of it last night not expecting too much from it, because let's face it, at the end of the day, it's Tetris, and it's a 34 year old concept. How good or compelling could it be compared to the stuff we have now, right? Well, after initially not being too impressed and thinking it would be exactly as I'd expected, I found myself continuing to play, and play some more, until I felt myself getting almost addicted to it. This particular version might have something to do with the fact that you're closed off, in extreme concentration and the music ramps up as you progress. It's almost hypnotic in experience. Today I found myself wanting to play more, but the demo had expired.

So, it got me thinking. I'm basically new to a game that's now three decades old. Never thought I'd like it, but here I am. That has to be some genius game design, doesn't it? Simple, yet complex and extremely challenging and rewarding. It's a game that's existed on most platforms for almost every generation of hardware and more.

With that in mind, just as the title suggests, the question has to be asked: is Tetris the best game ever made?

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Tetris - Is it the best game ever made?
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2018, 08:02:37 pm »
Tetris is the only video game I play anymore. I play it obsessively, almost every day.
I once made it to the worldwide top ten leadership board on the tetris website (for about a day 7 years ago), my greatest claim to fame.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2018, 09:48:51 pm »
I’ve no idea but Tetris Effect looks like a must buy for PSVR.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 6, 2018, 05:13:16 pm »
I’ve no idea but Tetris Effect looks like a must buy for PSVR.
It would be but for the asking price. I think it's something like £40. It might be a fully fledged title, and another one of those so called proper flat titles with VR support, but at the end of the day, it is still Tetris, despite it actually being a pretty brilliant zone out experience with great effects and music. I don't know, I want to get it, but I think it's one for the sales. Hope it sells well, though.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: November 6, 2018, 05:42:34 pm »
Tetris is the only video game I play anymore. I play it obsessively, almost every day.
I once made it to the worldwide top ten leadership board on the tetris website (for about a day 7 years ago), my greatest claim to fame.
To be fair, knowing how many people are dead into the game in a big way, that's actually pretty bloody impressive.

Never got into the game myself - I'm evidently a profoundly sick human being - but know a few people for whom it is the only worthwhile computer game, so it's got to have something going for it. Played it a bit as a kid, but it just didn't do anything for me so I spent most of my Gameboy time playing Zelda and Metroid, neither of which I ever completed as I got to in bit in Zelda where I just couldn't work out what to do so headbutted the screen in juvenile rage, which created a gorgeously coloured cracked effect but reduced playability to approximately zero. Maybe I should see if I can pick one up and finish the games. And see what the Tetris palaver's all about too.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 7, 2018, 07:22:18 am »
Probably, yes.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #6 on: November 7, 2018, 03:17:07 pm »
In my early 30's my old gameboy with tetris found its way into the toilet and stayed there for whenever I went in for a 'sit down'.
I got fucking good at it.
I'd often suddenly realise I had been sat there long after I had finished my initial mission. And both my legs would be dead from where I was resting my elbows on my thighs. It was hard to pull my trousers back up.

Thanks for listening.