Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 507168 times)

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2024, 12:35:24 pm »
Not sure at all. I kind of hoped Ancelotti could have been a consideration but thats of course never happening now. Spaletti is a possibility as well but does he ever consider leaving Napoli?

The obvious one seems Alonso but until he wins anything I am throwing him in the group along side Gary O’Neill and De Zerbi, possible talented managers who have won fuck all.

Spaletti left Napoli in the summer, and he would be a bad fit anyway. Not sure he even speaks English.

Ancelotti isn't fit for Liverpool. Just like he wasn't when Rodgers was sacked.

We had the lowest net spend out of the big six in Klopp's time. Our resources mean we should look for managers who outperform as the underdog when up against the giant clubs. Ancelotti has not performed a role of that type.

Unfortunately there is not a manager in the market who has done that with titles to their name, as was the case with Rafa at Valencia and Klopp at Dortmund.

So instead you go for the best choice in the market, and the one who looks like he is on the verge of beating a heavily resourced club against the odds.

Forget the fact he is an ex player. I don't frankly care. He is the closest case to a Rafa/Klopp out there, but without the titles to his name (that will be different in May)

Merely going for Ancelotti because he is a winner is not the correct approach.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2024, 12:35:40 pm »
He'd won back to back Norwegian titles and their domestic cup

If one of our ex players had done that people would be doing exactly tkt what United fans were

Winning Norwegian titles with a big Norwegian team cannot be compared to taking an unheralded team and potentially toppling Bayern Munich.

Alonso also doesn't have relegation and sacked from Cardiff on his CV.

You are re-writing history with Solskjaer. Absolutely no United fans wanted him, the Club just brought him in on a temporary basis, completely from left field, much to everyone's bemusement. It's only when he did semi well that he somehow landed the job permanently.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2024, 12:35:48 pm »
It's Xabi's if he wants it.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2024, 12:37:07 pm »
The Alonso thing is interesting. Pretty clear he’s well liked by all and I’d love him to succeed, and I’m not knowledgeable enough about Germany football to have any complaints if he was appointed. That said, I wondered if there are any comparisons to Rodgers ‘one season wonder’ situation in 13-14 with what he’s doing at Leverkusen? Obviously, Xabi’s second season hasn’t happened yet, but does anyone who watches Bundesliga on the regular have any thoughts? E.g has the recruitment been his, or was the nucleus of the team already there?

You have to appreciate where they were when he first arrived on the scene. He has moved a team who were in the realms of the bottom of the Bundesliga into becoming the only team in the whole of the main leagues in Europe, to still be unbeaten this season. I have to also point out only Klopp recently has stopped Bayern from winning a Bundesliga so should Xabi manage that, he will instantly slot himself into being one of the most wanted coaches in football.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2024, 12:37:36 pm »
Xabi could easily be a flash in the pan like Gerrard at Rangers. I don't think he's the messiah as he's totally unproven thus far.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2024, 12:37:56 pm »
I confess I've no clue who Amorim is.

You know when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie?

Well…

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2024, 12:38:16 pm »
The problem if we get xabi is as soon as Madrid come calling he will go and we're back to square one

Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2024, 12:38:39 pm »
Xabi could easily be a flash in the pan like Gerrard at Rangers. I don't think he's the messiah as he's totally unproven thus far.

Gerrard wasn’t a flash in the pan at Rangers, that was just his level as a manager.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2024, 12:39:47 pm »
He'd won back to back Norwegian titles and their domestic cup

If one of our ex players had done that people would be doing exactly tkt what United fans were   

If you think Norwegian football is the same as taking a not great Bundesliga team to competing with Bayern then I’m not going to try and talk you out of it

You’ve also got to consider them as individuals … and specifically Alonso as an individual.
The risk isn’t in what he’s done it’s that it’s a short period of time so it’s like scouting .. it’s not a reason to disqualify him instead you’re answering the question does he have the qualities to replicate it with us or not
Whoever we appoint we’ll be placing faith in potential

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2024, 12:40:03 pm »

Gerrard wasn't a flash in the pan at Rangers. He just won the league there with one of only two teams who could possibly win the league. He then moved to a top league and failed.

Alonso is in a top league already and is massively exceeding all expectations.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2024, 12:40:28 pm »
I'm not even saying it shouldn't be Alonso just that the clamour is far too big in relative terms and you're all losing your minds at my posts as if I'm saying can we have Fergie please 😂😂

Your already building the bloke up into a hiding to nothing

The problem is you are easily dismissing what he has achieved so far. While I agree that sometimes people get too involved with one person and then rubbish someone else all the candidates should be judged on what they have done. Xabi's record this season is stunning, the only team in any league to still be unbeaten. That takes some doing.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2024, 12:41:05 pm »
Gerrard wasn’t a flash in the pan at Rangers, that was just his level as a manager.

Can we agree that overtaking Bayern > overtaking Celtic?

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2024, 12:41:52 pm »
All I can tell you for certain that we all can agree on is FSG have to back the next one more than they did with klopp
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2024, 12:42:00 pm »
Thankfully Gerrard left Rangers and tried to prove himself in the premier league or else the links to him would have been constant even if he was still at Rangers.

There isn’t many managers out there who stand out. It can only be Alonso even though his sample is very small. Risk we’ll have to take with any manager than comes in

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2024, 12:42:02 pm »
Can we agree that overtaking Bayern > overtaking Celtic?

Winning the Norwegian league > overtaking Bayern > overtaking Celtic

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2024, 12:44:38 pm »
Obviously yesterday was horrible but to be honest I'm strangely optimistic about it all. First of all. I think you have to just go forward with the feeling that it's not going to be the same, but Liverpool is a funny club. A lot of people make joking comparisons to the next man being the new Paisley, surely that level of success isn't achieved but success in general? I can see it, because the next manager doesn't have to be that once in a lifetime man, he will be taking over a side with world class players, a squad of players amongst the best in their respective positions in the best league in the world, and some brilliant young talents to work with. Anyway, considered a few names so if anyone from FSG is lurking and need an idea on where to start just take a look at these  :wave

Alonso - For me the #1 choice. The football is looking good and effective, what he's done there has been great, they were about 16th when he took over albeit early in the season, a little over 18 months later and they're seriously challenging for all three trophies. Knows the club (wahey!) but more importantly loves it and knows what it's like living here. He'll probably go on to manage some of Europe's biggest clubs whether he takes over Liverpool now or not. I think he can really make something with what is left behind and with his own players coming in. The fans would mostly love it too, keep that good feeling going.

De Zerbi - Wouldn't be among the top three or four names for me even though he's done well with Brighton. Completely different set up but I don't think he's anywhere near ready for the job until he's done something big with them or elsewhere. The football fluctuates from brilliant to boring but I suppose it can be like that with most managers. He has improved Brighton after the good job Potter did but I think his managerial calling/level is a side below Liverpool's stature.

Nagelsmann - For me a big no no. I've always thought he was completely overrated. When he's managed against us with Hoffenheim and Leipzig (no shame in losing to a great Liverpool side) but it was tactically really inept, again, not that those games should have much say in things. I think he joined Bayern too soon, and you could sense a bit of desperation that he wanted some trophies to put behind his name (also not a bad thing!), but to me the move at that stage of his career with a Bayern side that was already so dominant domestically, but sort of winding down as evidenced further now felt like the wrong one. Maybe one day, but he feels like one of those coaches who'll always get big jobs and not deserve quite a few of them. Just not the character to take over Klopp.

Scott Parker - Always found him to be a rather shrewd tactician, and someone who stands on the touchline with real authority. Again, his sample size as a manager isn't huge but there's a lot of potential and he's always been brave in his methods. When I saw him in that cardigan I felt he'd go on to do big things. It might not happen now, but I could see it down the line. He may also be key in helping us get that Harrison Reed deal across the line.

Amorim - Done brilliantly with Sporting, quite similar to Alonso in the fact he turned their fortunes around instantly and won them a first league title in years, and they're top again this season. He's had a bit more domestic success too in the Portuguese cups, and I think that league is quite underrated in general. Maybe not loads of European experience, which to be honest I'd like to see. I think he gets good attacking football played though and his 70 odd percent win ratio is very impressive given Sporting are up against Benfica and Porto.

Emery - Great European experience. Four Europa League wins and a Champions League semi with Villarreal. Underwhelmed with PSG and the Arsenal project ended poorly, though he'd have won them more than Arteta ever will. Doing a great job with Villa and will possibly even win them a European trophy, though you could argue he might have found his right level there. I think he's the type who could make something out of a Liverpool team with good quality, but feel if it started going wrong people would be on his case citing former instances of failure. Don't see it but there's far worse choices.

Flick - Not seen his name mentioned much but he's without a club. Done very well with Bayern but truth be told I wouldn't look in to it too much. He obviously knew the set up well there and got them playing at a level the previous manager couldn't get them at, but most good managers will have Bayern challenging on all fronts. Fair play for him for doing so but it's a far easier club to manage at. He'll probably go back there a couple of times in the future as Jupp Heynckes has. I'd say not a top five choice but I can see him being considered quite strongly.

Those are probably some of the big names I can see making some final shortlist. Could be completely wrong and of course there's others. My actual feeling on what's going to happen is Madrid will sack Ancelotti (I know he's just signed a new deal) and get Xabi. I'd be disappointed but if one day you wish to see him manage LFC I wouldn't mind, in an ideal world he'd have managed Madrid while Klopp was still here and we'd get him down the line with a bit more experience. Truth be told I'd rather not wait, if he can make something out of this side now I say go for it. If Madrid come for him down the line it means he's succeeded and that's all I'm looking for, it doesn't need to last a decade. Who else is there ... Ancelotti himself? Don't see it but he likes taking over sides where he knows he can win. Probably wouldn't entertain the likes of Conte, and I can't imagine it'll be anyone from South America though the fella at Palmeiras has done great. As I say, sad times but I'm choosing to believe the next appointment could be exciting. I still feel as though Alonso is the right man to get people really excited about the future though. Anyone else could end up a bit underwhelming.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2024, 12:45:21 pm »

When you look at where they are, he's not a flash in a pan. He's taken a team who last season where nowhere and is now leading the Bundesliga by four points with an unbeaten team, the only one in any of the main leagues. So, that is just two season's of work where he has already impressed. I agree we have to see how he does from now on especially as there will be more media watching how deals with the pressure, in the second half of the season. But people need to respect the work he has done so far, not many others have been better in just two seasons.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2024, 12:46:57 pm »
All I can tell you for certain that we all can agree on is FSG have to back the next one more than they did with klopp
Have you seen our squad lately? They aren’t perfect and they could have done more in some moments.

But we’re easily one of the better run clubs and have still achieved success. Anyway we probably shouldn’t go here I think I just heard Al stirring
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2024, 12:48:14 pm »
If The Athletic is correct and Spearman was tasked in November with finding a manager whose philosophy matched our playing profile, I'd imagine we'll get some managers that aren't been discussed much in the media

They're saying as of now, the interest seems to be in Xabi, de Zerbi, Thomas Frank, and Ange P (I'll learn the spelling if I have to later), Nagelsmann
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2024, 12:48:28 pm »
Obviously yesterday was horrible but to be honest I'm strangely optimistic about it all. First of all. I think you have to just go forward with the feeling that it's not going to be the same, but Liverpool is a funny club. A lot of people make joking comparisons to the next man being the new Paisley, surely that level of success isn't achieved but success in general? I can see it, because the next manager doesn't have to be that once in a lifetime man, he will be taking over a side with world class players, a squad of players amongst the best in their respective positions in the best league in the world, and some brilliant young talents to work with. Anyway, considered a few names so if anyone from FSG is lurking and need an idea on where to start just take a look at these  :wave

Alonso - For me the #1 choice. The football is looking good and effective, what he's done there has been great, they were about 16th when he took over albeit early in the season, a little over 18 months later and they're seriously challenging for all three trophies. Knows the club (wahey!) but more importantly loves it and knows what it's like living here. He'll probably go on to manage some of Europe's biggest clubs whether he takes over Liverpool now or not. I think he can really make something with what is left behind and with his own players coming in. The fans would mostly love it too, keep that good feeling going.

De Zerbi - Wouldn't be among the top three or four names for me even though he's done well with Brighton. Completely different set up but I don't think he's anywhere near ready for the job until he's done something big with them or elsewhere. The football fluctuates from brilliant to boring but I suppose it can be like that with most managers. He has improved Brighton after the good job Potter did but I think his managerial calling/level is a side below Liverpool's stature.

Nagelsmann - For me a big no no. I've always thought he was completely overrated. When he's managed against us with Hoffenheim and Leipzig (no shame in losing to a great Liverpool side) but it was tactically really inept, again, not that those games should have much say in things. I think he joined Bayern too soon, and you could sense a bit of desperation that he wanted some trophies to put behind his name (also not a bad thing!), but to me the move at that stage of his career with a Bayern side that was already so dominant domestically, but sort of winding down as evidenced further now felt like the wrong one. Maybe one day, but he feels like one of those coaches who'll always get big jobs and not deserve quite a few of them. Just not the character to take over Klopp.

Scott Parker - Always found him to be a rather shrewd tactician, and someone who stands on the touchline with real authority. Again, his sample size as a manager isn't huge but there's a lot of potential and he's always been brave in his methods. When I saw him in that cardigan I felt he'd go on to do big things. It might not happen now, but I could see it down the line. He may also be key in helping us get that Harrison Reed deal across the line.

Amorim - Done brilliantly with Sporting, quite similar to Alonso in the fact he turned their fortunes around instantly and won them a first league title in years, and they're top again this season. He's had a bit more domestic success too in the Portuguese cups, and I think that league is quite underrated in general. Maybe not loads of European experience, which to be honest I'd like to see. I think he gets good attacking football played though and his 70 odd percent win ratio is very impressive given Sporting are up against Benfica and Porto.

Emery - Great European experience. Four Europa League wins and a Champions League semi with Villarreal. Underwhelmed with PSG and the Arsenal project ended poorly, though he'd have won them more than Arteta ever will. Doing a great job with Villa and will possibly even win them a European trophy, though you could argue he might have found his right level there. I think he's the type who could make something out of a Liverpool team with good quality, but feel if it started going wrong people would be on his case citing former instances of failure. Don't see it but there's far worse choices.

Flick - Not seen his name mentioned much but he's without a club. Done very well with Bayern but truth be told I wouldn't look in to it too much. He obviously knew the set up well there and got them playing at a level the previous manager couldn't get them at, but most good managers will have Bayern challenging on all fronts. Fair play for him for doing so but it's a far easier club to manage at. He'll probably go back there a couple of times in the future as Jupp Heynckes has. I'd say not a top five choice but I can see him being considered quite strongly.

Those are probably some of the big names I can see making some final shortlist. Could be completely wrong and of course there's others. My actual feeling on what's going to happen is Madrid will sack Ancelotti (I know he's just signed a new deal) and get Xabi. I'd be disappointed but if one day you wish to see him manage LFC I wouldn't mind, in an ideal world he'd have managed Madrid while Klopp was still here and we'd get him down the line with a bit more experience. Truth be told I'd rather not wait, if he can make something out of this side now I say go for it. If Madrid come for him down the line it means he's succeeded and that's all I'm looking for, it doesn't need to last a decade. Who else is there ... Ancelotti himself? Don't see it but he likes taking over sides where he knows he can win. Probably wouldn't entertain the likes of Conte, and I can't imagine it'll be anyone from South America though the fella at Palmeiras has done great. As I say, sad times but I'm choosing to believe the next appointment could be exciting. I still feel as though Alonso is the right man to get people really excited about the future though. Anyone else could end up a bit underwhelming.

Good post but what the hell are you thinking adding Scott Parker ffs :D

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2024, 12:49:03 pm »
How did he do at Cardiff?

You're being really weird on this.

Yeah, I don't get this comparison with Solskjaer either.

If you're going to compare him to someone, why not compare him to Arteta, who had no first-team managerial experience until he took over at Arsenal? And their fans seem pretty happy about him right now.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2024, 12:49:39 pm »

Yep, no doubt about that. Almost certainly doomed to failure otherwise.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2024, 12:50:31 pm »

It’s not always about spending loads of money though.

It’s using it wisely. Klopp has proved that.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2024, 12:50:40 pm »
I'm not even saying it shouldn't be Alonso just that the clamour is far too big in relative terms and you're all losing your minds at my posts as if I'm saying can we have Fergie please 😂😂

This topic would be best left until our current Boss leaves.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2024, 12:51:44 pm »
Good post but what the hell are you thinking adding Scott Parker ffs :D

Those who know, know  ;)
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2024, 12:51:57 pm »

No one has built him up. Most posters are saying that he would be a good fit and people would buy into the journey / project.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2024, 12:53:03 pm »
Alonso would be high on the list in any circumstances. Him being an ex red only helps that.

Would his stoke totally suit us? Difficult to know, but his managerial style is that football is or adult about relationships, so that would be a great start.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2024, 12:53:17 pm »
They're saying as of now, the interest seems to be in Xabi, de Zerbi, Thomas Frank, and Ange P (I'll learn the spelling if I have to later), Nagelsmann

That is a list compiled by the Athletic writers

No way is Frank on the list. Awful style of football. Attacking play is pretty much based on percentage play up to Toney and Mbeumo.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2024, 12:54:39 pm »
It’s not always about spending loads of money though.

It’s using it wisely. Klopp has proved that.

But next to impossible to replicate Klopp's success rate.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2024, 12:55:25 pm »
Alonso would be high on the list in any circumstances. Him being an ex red only helps that.

Would his stoke totally suit us? Difficult to know, but his managerial style is that football is or adult about relationships, so that would be a great start.

Would help on a wet Thursday night.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2024, 12:56:08 pm »

The basis of a great Team is there though. It only needs a few tweaks and some clever planning.

We need to be smart with recruitment like we have been. I don’t see how that would change.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2024, 12:56:12 pm »
Ole had fucking terrible coaching credentials before United hired him it couldn’t be more different

And it’s hard to think of many people who have more experience of ‘being expected to win every game you play’ .. that’s Alonso’s entire experience as a player

He’s obviously a risk because of the lack of time but you couldn’t hope to see more in the first part of someone’s managing career
There isn’t a Klopp - no brainer out there - so if someone doesn’t like Alonso because of the risk you’re just shifting that risk onto someone you do want.

And the thing with Xabi is yes he could fail but the upside is the stratosphere.. as someone else said what he’s doing at Leverkusen is incredibly rare .. you could literally be hiring the next Guardiola
A someone who likes stats, what do you think about hiring him when his side is massively over performing their XG for and against (according to Opta)? they have Leverkusen third behind Bayern and Stuttgart https://fbref.com/en/comps/20/Bundesliga-Stats

Just from this and for any Bundesliga fans, how good a manager, or how good a job is Hoeness doing? Would argue his turnaround of Stuttgart seems just, if not more impressive than Alonso with Leverkusen. They were a Champions League side who then underperformed before Alonso took over midseason. Stuttgart were battling relegation for 2 seasons before this

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2024, 12:56:23 pm »
That is a list compiled by the Athletic writers

Yeah, they have Ljinders on that list even though he's leaving.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2024, 12:56:39 pm »
Never really watched Leverkusen play but taking a glance at the numbers

Shots conceded per game :

1. Manchester City 8
2. Bayern Munich   8.3
3. Lille 8.7
4. Arsenal 8.8
5. Bayer Leverkusen 8.9
6. Valencia 9.5
LFC at 23 with 11.3
37. Brighton 12.1

Attacking Shots per game

1. Bayern Munich   20.4
2. Liverpool 18.8
3. Napoli 17.2
4. Bayer Leverkusen 17.1
5. Manchester City 16.9
6. RB Leipzig 16.8
15. Brighton 15.2
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 12:59:19 pm by Egyptian36 »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2024, 12:57:22 pm »

The advantage we have is it's really only a couple of positions we're short in. If you include the likes of Bradley and the other young uns they could spare us having to bring in multiple other players. I really hope whoever comes in will trust the younger players going forward.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2024, 12:57:26 pm »
On the subject of transfers, Alonso only had a net spend of around £10 million in the summer, and they lost arguably their best player in Moussa Diaby. He's achieved what he is achieving with adding Granit Xhaka and Nathan Tella!

Also putting aside the Bundesliga, their record in the Europa League group was played 6, won 6, scored 19, conceded 3. Also got to the semi's last season before being Mourinho'd.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 01:00:32 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2024, 12:57:30 pm »
Sporting director appointment is just as important as the coach. You just need to look at United to see that.

It's easier to have an opinion on the next coach as I don't have a clue who we could get in for that.  ;D But if we were to appoint an inexperienced coach like Alonso, it does seem crucial.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 27, 2024, 12:59:05 pm »
The Alonso thing is interesting. Pretty clear he’s well liked by all and I’d love him to succeed, and I’m not knowledgeable enough about Germany football to have any complaints if he was appointed. That said, I wondered if there are any comparisons to Rodgers ‘one season wonder’ situation in 13-14 with what he’s doing at Leverkusen? Obviously, Xabi’s second season hasn’t happened yet, but does anyone who watches Bundesliga on the regular have any thoughts? E.g has the recruitment been his, or was the nucleus of the team already there?

This is his second season.  He was brought in to manage them in 2022 when they were in the relegation places and he led them to the Europa league.  This season he has continued their progression and are 4 points clear at the top of the Bundesliga. 

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2024, 12:59:45 pm »
I'm very interested to see where Ljinders ends up. I had always assumed he would be next after Jurgen.

We could well see him back in the future.

It will also be interesting to see what order our new staff fall into place. Will there a director of football appointed soon who then leads the search? Or if the club have known since November I'm sure they already have a shortlist of managers drawn up and a director of football comes in with the brief of simply keeping us on the path we are on.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2024, 01:02:08 pm »
I'm very interested to see where Ljinders ends up. I had always assumed he would be next after Jurgen.

We could well see him back in the future.

It will also be interesting to see what order our new staff fall into place. Will there a director of football appointed soon who then leads the search? Or if the club have known since November I'm sure they already have a shortlist of managers drawn up and a director of football comes in with the brief of simply keeping us on the path we are on.

Hell get offered a mid club in the Dutch league

Hope he does well
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko