Author Topic: a question for one of the mods  (Read 126835 times)

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: a question for one of the mods
« Reply #680 on: April 7, 2023, 08:21:08 pm »
When are these fuckin' trolls and newbies going to get banned?

Are you talking about anyone specific? The report button is there for anyone who thinks someone has gone too far. Otherwise we can all try to educate our newer members on posting styles / dos and donts etc.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #681 on: April 7, 2023, 11:04:25 pm »
Are you talking about anyone specific? The report button is there for anyone who thinks someone has gone too far. Otherwise we can all try to educate our newer members on posting styles / dos and donts etc.

Rhi, Samie's looking for neither a reasoned, mature policy outline/assessment nor the responsibility of reporting to anyone.

He just wants the hammer... ;D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #682 on: April 7, 2023, 11:37:28 pm »
You know me so well.  ;D

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #683 on: April 10, 2023, 03:25:09 pm »
Why was the Nike trans thread locked? It all seemed respectful enough from what I can see.

I know this site isn’t the place to solve all the world’s problems but it is, for me, the best place to chat about current affairs on the internet. What is so scary about this topic that it can’t be spoken about, it’s a bit ridiculous at this point.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #684 on: April 10, 2023, 03:33:13 pm »
There was some stuff deleted. The thread was locked whilst deletion took place. You might not even notice what was deleted, thus creating the sense (read "illusion")of respectful debate....

It might reopen later. That's up to the mod what did it (having looked at what was deleted, it was a very reasonable action to take...)

Nothing "ridiculous" about it. If anything's "ridiculous", it's the reaction to modding this place, which is done by volunteers in their spare time and we're a Liverpool Football Club discussion forum. Everything beyond those two bolded words is a bonus, mate. You're welcome. :wave
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 03:34:46 pm by 24/7 »

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #685 on: April 10, 2023, 04:41:44 pm »
I locked it because it had veered away from the original topic of Nike using a trans person as a model and to the usual suspects arguing their usual points about trans rights. We've seen and read it all before and I don't think it benefits anyone.

Like Jim says, I had also deleted some stuff.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #686 on: April 10, 2023, 06:53:40 pm »
My 'ridiculous' comment wasn't about the overall modding on the site to be clear, just that it seems like no thread on any topic touching on this area can stay open, and as soon as anything questionable is posted it's locked and never to be spoken of again.

The 'boomer humour' nike photoshopped kit pic was daft and could have been swiftly deleted, no problem there

As for the discussion not benefitting anyone, I would beg to differ. It's a huge topic in society today, there's no getting away from it. It's pretty confusing for many, there's a lot of controversy and outrage, fake and otherwise. For example, are Nike and Bud Light making a real effort to be LGBT allies or are they cynically stirring the outrage pot?

There's a lot of stuff to discuss there and I genuinely don't know of a better place than RAWK to have the discussion - we have a lot of intelligent people from different backgrounds, obvious hate-speech and trolling is not tolerated, and there isn't the complete anonymity and throwaway nature of places like reddit or twitter. We are familiar with each other and hold each other accountable here to some degree.

I saw some thought-provoking posts in there from Bioluminescence and others that gave views I hadn't previously considered

This is just a general comment rather than specific to RAWK, but HomesickRed said it well and I think loads of RAWKites would agree: "I'm as confused as the next person and wary of stepping into this toxic debate." It feels like on one side you've got the right-wingers who LOVE to talk about this and search for stories to go mental about. On the other side you've got the extreme pro-trans people who are quick to call anything transphobic. And then you have 90% of the population in the middle, just scratching their heads wondering wtf is going on and what they are allowed to say. Shutting down the discussion isn't doing anyone any favours imo

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: April 10, 2023, 08:13:16 pm »
Shutting down the discussion isn't doing anyone any favours imo
It's not shut down totally. It's being discussed in innumerable other places. Just not on RAWK beyond a certain point. Of all the people on the mod team, I'd suggest that Rhi is the most highly qualified to make that call and I'm sure I speak for the rest of RAWK Towers in supporting her judgement. If that disappoints you, perhaps this isn't the best place on the internet for you to find the education you seek on certain topics and perhaps that's just something you have to accept.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: April 10, 2023, 08:49:00 pm »
It's not shut down totally. It's being discussed in innumerable other places. Just not on RAWK beyond a certain point. Of all the people on the mod team, I'd suggest that Rhi is the most highly qualified to make that call and I'm sure I speak for the rest of RAWK Towers in supporting her judgement. If that disappoints you, perhaps this isn't the best place on the internet for you to find the education you seek on certain topics and perhaps that's just something you have to accept.

Can't say fairer than that!

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #689 on: April 10, 2023, 10:53:50 pm »

Why the pissy condescension? Needless, I'm genuinely complimenting the site, I get a lot of interesting info here. It's my sole source of UK politics for instance and I bet it's the primary source of a lot of posters' US politics. Anyway, whatever - I don't get why the topic is so scary that it can't even be broached.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #690 on: April 10, 2023, 10:56:25 pm »
Why the pissy condescension? Needless, I'm genuinely complimenting the site, I get a lot of interesting info here. It's my sole source of UK politics for instance and I bet it's the primary source of a lot of posters' US politics. Anyway, whatever - I don't get why the topic is so scary that it can't even be broached.

Genuinely think that wasn't pissy condescension but rather Jim being careful and measured in his reply.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #691 on: April 11, 2023, 06:14:54 am »
Sorry- On reflection I was a bit needlessly antagonistic here not sure why. I retract all my objections and close my feedback ticket. Appreciate all you do mods

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: April 11, 2023, 07:03:55 am »
Cheers - sometimes we come across a topic that either genuinely interests us or are passionate about and/or have skin on the game and we want to talk about it and/or learn and/or share our own experiences of that topic. In the Internet Age, it's easy to lose sight of the principles of relevance, context, suitability, appropriateness, etc., as well as sometimes the topic receiving disproportionate attention - and that's when moderation kicks in. We're not here to piss on people's chips or slam down the ban hammer at will or even look for threads to lock - I can't speak for the others but only for myself and am reminded of my days as a referee in Sweden when I'd say to any particularly vocal complaints that I didn't turn up that day wanting to blow a whistle - in fact, my fave matches are when I didn't need to blow one at all, other than to start/stop play for 'normal' reasons (kick-offs, goals, HT/FT).

It's the same here - a nice day as a mod is when we can sit back, watch hilarity/mayhem/educatio/banter/wit/sharing ensue and we don't have to delete/lock/warn/ban anyone or anything - and we always answer questions - sometimes the answer isn't what people want to read and that's understandable too. It's hard not to sound pissily condescending when trying to explain that. The general rule is we're here for the footie, first and foremost, although I freely confess I came here for the Hillsborough campaigning. Now that we've won the battle for the truth, but lost the war for the justice, and I know next-to-nothing about footie, maybe I should be taking my own advice and stepping aside......

Thanks for the appreciation though, it's always nice to read at RAWK Towers :thumbup

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: April 11, 2023, 07:56:14 am »
Sorry- On reflection I was a bit needlessly antagonistic here not sure why. I retract all my objections and close my feedback ticket. Appreciate all you do mods
I'm glad you've posted that Mumm-Ra, out of respect to you I'd bit my tongue not responding for a day or so because my only line would have been to say you're coming across as seemingly ungrateful and entitled by demanding the discussion.
Thank you for reflecting.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: April 17, 2023, 02:21:26 am »
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but can one of the mods please unlock the Fantasy Premier League thread in the Betting sub-forum? I'm guessing it just missed the re-opening after our memorial day, no fireworks to be found there...

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #695 on: April 17, 2023, 03:15:50 pm »
Some odd posts seem to have been added to the BBC thread? Possibly mis-merged if that’s the right phrase?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: April 19, 2023, 05:58:37 pm »
Which one of you twits merged the dead musicians thread with the BBC thread. ;D ;)

I went to post about the death of Ahmed Jamal and ended up in another thread. ;D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #697 on: April 19, 2023, 06:59:05 pm »
Haha really? That's a corker. Deffo not me though. In 14 years I've never once learnt how to do merge 😅

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: April 19, 2023, 07:00:55 pm »
Haha really? That's a corker. Deffo not me though. In 14 years I've never once learnt how to do merge 😅
PM rob, he probably knows.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: April 19, 2023, 09:40:39 pm »
Excuses lad, nothing more. Get it fixed. :P

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: April 21, 2023, 03:29:12 pm »
Excuses lad, nothing more. Get it fixed. :P
Could have been a fuck up by me :)
I've created a new thread from the latest posts.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #701 on: April 26, 2023, 02:54:16 pm »
Started seeing the “Watched” markers recently, but have just seen a “muted” one - what’s that effect? as I dont recall muting anyone
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #702 on: April 26, 2023, 02:55:22 pm »
Started seeing the “Watched” markers recently, but have just seen a “muted” one - what’s that effect? as I dont recall muting anyone

It's because you're technically a mod in the match comms sub forum. So you get to see a few things normal users can't. You're welcome.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: April 26, 2023, 04:05:04 pm »
It's because you're technically a mod in the match comms sub forum. So you get to see a few things normal users can't. You're welcome.
Ah that does explain why I’ve started seeing those, and I get what Watched means but what does muted mean in terms of a warning on here? Has the poster been muted so no one can see their posts or does it mean they’re currently on a holiday?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #704 on: April 26, 2023, 04:28:14 pm »
Ah that does explain why I’ve started seeing those, and I get what Watched means but what does muted mean in terms of a warning on here? Has the poster been muted so no one can see their posts or does it mean they’re currently on a holiday?

Muted just means they can read and not post for a certain period of time.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #705 on: April 26, 2023, 04:51:53 pm »
It kicks in automatically for warnings of 60% and higher. When the level drops (1% a day) below 60, muting deactivates.

What's hilarious is when people come back acting like knobs as soon as the mute is lifted.

Then we get creative...

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: April 26, 2023, 05:09:06 pm »
Cheers chaps

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: April 27, 2023, 01:19:29 am »
Any chance that we could open it up again please because this article really needs to be in there.

Trent Alexander-Arnold on Premier League academies and release of players

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65399672

I'm off to bed but it'd be great if somebody posted it.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: April 27, 2023, 06:27:47 pm »
Could have been a fuck up by me :)
I've created a new thread from the latest posts.
I meant to do this the other day, thanks, John.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: April 28, 2023, 08:51:53 am »
Just noticed the CT addition. Mingebag status confirmed :-[  ;D

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: April 28, 2023, 10:55:59 am »
Just noticed the CT addition. Mingebag status confirmed :-[  ;D

Big fan of you getting it and me not, given it was me that brought the subject to conversation  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #711 on: April 28, 2023, 11:12:52 am »
Big fan of you getting it and me not, given it was me that brought the subject to conversation  :D
You offered the mods some coffee didn't you?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #712 on: May 26, 2023, 11:51:59 am »
Is there any way of splitting the transfer thread in two - one for ONLY the discussion of the footballing merits of signing X player we are linked with, and one where those who want to talk about completely made up numbers they have no idea are true or not can chat amongst themselves in?

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #713 on: May 26, 2023, 01:23:25 pm »
Is there any way of splitting the transfer thread in two - one for ONLY the discussion of the footballing merits of signing X player we are linked with, and one where those who want to talk about completely made up numbers they have no idea are true or not can chat amongst themselves in?

;D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: May 26, 2023, 08:04:22 pm »

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #715 on: May 26, 2023, 09:14:05 pm »
Happy Birthday mate :)

Thanking you very much... :wave

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: June 1, 2023, 07:24:59 am »
Has something been changed with the 'recent unread posts' option on the forum?

There aren't any when I go to it but if I then click on the 'all unread posts' there's 47+ pages of them 🤷

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: June 1, 2023, 07:36:34 am »
Has something been changed with the 'recent unread posts' option on the forum?

There aren't any when I go to it but if I then click on the 'all unread posts' there's 47+ pages of them 🤷
Not as far as I know Debs, Claire might know more.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: June 1, 2023, 07:47:10 am »
Not as far as I know Debs, Claire might know more.

Thanks John. 

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #719 on: June 1, 2023, 08:22:12 am »
Have you tried switching it off and on again?

(Log out, log back in, see if it clears what appears to be a glitch..)