Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 869281 times)

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #8640 on: November 21, 2023, 12:21:38 pm »
I just had a dig through my 'obsolete tech' cupboard and I still have my HTC M8 in there, actually think that may be in my top three handsets of all time, absolutely beautiful phone and perfect in the hand, a time before phones got too big.

Had it too and would agree with everything you say

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8641 on: January 17, 2024, 11:33:50 pm »
Thinking about getting the s24 plus to replace my pixel 6. Trade in they are offering now is €300 which is nearly double what they were offering on the s23 plus a few weeks ago.

Had considered the ultra but I really don't like the corners and especially the weight/bulkyness of other people's s23 ultras I've held. Only problem I have is the fact they are using the exynos chip on the non ultras this year. I don't care about the power of these chips since they are all plenty for me, just want good battery life.

Other option I'm thinking of is the oneplus 12, only problem I have with that is I'd rather have a flat screen and the cameras usually aren't as good as the s series or Google.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 11:36:19 pm by MBL? »

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8642 on: January 18, 2024, 09:26:05 am »
Thinking about getting the s24 plus to replace my pixel 6. Trade in they are offering now is €300 which is nearly double what they were offering on the s23 plus a few weeks ago.

Had considered the ultra but I really don't like the corners and especially the weight/bulkyness of other people's s23 ultras I've held. Only problem I have is the fact they are using the exynos chip on the non ultras this year. I don't care about the power of these chips since they are all plenty for me, just want good battery life.

Other option I'm thinking of is the oneplus 12, only problem I have with that is I'd rather have a flat screen and the cameras usually aren't as good as the s series or Google.

I like the Ultra too but as you say the corners really put me off. I'll probably go for the S24 plus.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8643 on: January 18, 2024, 10:13:34 pm »
I'm also now considering the pixel 8 Pro After watching some 2/3 month reviews. Seem to work out as the same price or a bit cheaper if I sell my 6 to somewhere like cex.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8644 on: January 20, 2024, 01:27:15 am »
Never owned an iPhone - been using Android for years but will be making the switch.

Had the S20+ for 3 years which was a good phone but the camera quality is poor and battery life isn't great. The mrs has an iPhone and I've got one for work purposes and it just seems to work really well.

Has anyone been an android user for years and made the transition to Apple, if yes how did you find it?

Also, is the iPhone 15 Pro a good jump from the S20+?

I'll be buying the phone outright from the apple store and upgrading my o2 sim only contract to just £8 a month (50gb data + unlimited mins/texts).

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8645 on: January 21, 2024, 12:20:28 am »
Early user reports on the exynos 2400 seem to have it above the sd gen 2 in performance and battery life. That will do me.

None mentioned the coms which I suppose is the only way it falls down. My pixel 6 is pretty bad when it comes to that and I know the 7/8 improved on it but it's still not as good as the sd modems. My guess is it will improve a bit so think with all considered I'm happy to go with the s24 plus. The ultra sounds great but the weight of that and apple max is ridiculous to me. The ultra in particular is horrible in the hand so any benefits it has will be nothing compared to how it feels to hold in one hand for a long duration.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #8646 on: January 22, 2024, 03:36:32 pm »

Do you have a 6 or a 6Pro?

I'm just growing to downright hate my 6Pro. Just had to restart it again (this time because it wasn't ringing for incoming calls - not a case of it just being silent, but rather not showing anything as a was call coming in, until I'd get a message pop up telling me I'd missed a call)

The other week, it decided to close all open Chrome windows & tabs (I do tend to have a lot open).

I refused to get another Samsung after my S20. Great phone and functionality, but the screen would break if I seemingly even looked at it the wrong way. Was the second Samsung (I'd had one 2 or 3 previous to that) that had a screen made of sugar glass. But, with the demise of Huawei (had a P30 Pro and was quite impressed) and contraction of the market generally reducing choice for that flagship bracket (although I've not looked for a couple of years), I don't know what to get.

I have an iPhone for work and I don't like it, so want to stay Android.

Saying all that, I bought my 6Pro outright and, given how much intertest rates are financially destroying me at the moment, I'm going to be stuck with this heap of shit for at least the next year.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8647 on: January 22, 2024, 05:16:03 pm »

am ovedue for an upgrade on my samsung s21 and coincidentally you seem to be in the same boat as me - think I can get quite a good deal through EE if i trade in my s21 and take an upgrade.

am permanently out of touch with the phone market, but i know I want to stay with Samsung. I'm also not a super user (would never user it for games, just relatively constantly listening to spotify on bluetooth headsets and browsing the internet - also take the odd average quality picture). not gonna be a big utiliser of all the flash AI stuff, especially with photos. I don't 'need' the S24 Ultra I don't think, although this new chipset sounds like one of the main features and reasons to jump to a S24. But from what I can tell the S24 and S24+ won't have that chipset for the next year at least.

my simple question to those who know a great deal more than me - do you think the lack of that snapdragon chip is that big a loss that it makes it not worth taking a favourable upgrade deal for the S24+?

cheers in advance!

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8648 on: January 22, 2024, 10:04:23 pm »

Do you have a 6 or a 6Pro?

I'm just growing to downright hate my 6Pro. Just had to restart it again (this time because it wasn't ringing for incoming calls - not a case of it just being silent, but rather not showing anything as a was call coming in, until I'd get a message pop up telling me I'd missed a call)

The other week, it decided to close all open Chrome windows & tabs (I do tend to have a lot open).

I refused to get another Samsung after my S20. Great phone and functionality, but the screen would break if I seemingly even looked at it the wrong way. Was the second Samsung (I'd had one 2 or 3 previous to that) that had a screen made of sugar glass. But, with the demise of Huawei (had a P30 Pro and was quite impressed) and contraction of the market generally reducing choice for that flagship bracket (although I've not looked for a couple of years), I don't know what to get.

I have an iPhone for work and I don't like it, so want to stay Android.

Saying all that, I bought my 6Pro outright and, given how much intertest rates are financially destroying me at the moment, I'm going to be stuck with this heap of shit for at least the next year.

I have the 6. Sounds like you are having a lot of issues. For myself it's just battery not being great and the coms. It's really bad at hotspotting for example. I came from the p30 pro myself which was a decent phone. Never had a Samsung phone before but in the last year moved from ipad pro to the Samsung s9 ultra and I'm loving that so thought I might give their phones a go. Might seem silly, and it probably is, but I associated Samsung with chelsea, so I think it put me off them subconsciously..

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8649 on: January 22, 2024, 10:14:44 pm »
am ovedue for an upgrade on my samsung s21 and coincidentally you seem to be in the same boat as me - think I can get quite a good deal through EE if i trade in my s21 and take an upgrade.

am permanently out of touch with the phone market, but i know I want to stay with Samsung. I'm also not a super user (would never user it for games, just relatively constantly listening to spotify on bluetooth headsets and browsing the internet - also take the odd average quality picture). not gonna be a big utiliser of all the flash AI stuff, especially with photos. I don't 'need' the S24 Ultra I don't think, although this new chipset sounds like one of the main features and reasons to jump to a S24. But from what I can tell the S24 and S24+ won't have that chipset for the next year at least.

my simple question to those who know a great deal more than me - do you think the lack of that snapdragon chip is that big a loss that it makes it not worth taking a favourable upgrade deal for the S24+?

cheers in advance!
I can't comment on uk phone contracts but I will be saving a load on the Irish one I just ditched by going through Samsungs own website. Inflated trade in (you can send them a broken phone that is able to turn on for not that much less) and there is supposedly a 10% discount on top with codes but I've not ordered yet and a free smart watch. Smart watch deal ends in a few days and the others I think end on the 29th/30th.

The uk offers will be different but they seem to be very strong in every market. They will all end soon though I think.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 10:16:16 pm by MBL? »

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8650 on: January 22, 2024, 10:19:14 pm »
Forgot to mention there's €100 off some of there other products at checkout but it's nothing I'm personally interested in.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8651 on: January 23, 2024, 02:35:28 am »
thanks mate, appreciate the reply and tip - can see some great deals on samsung's site like you mention. good option to hold. from what I can gather EE is a preferred partner so is laready getting some of the benefits of this, so might be able to kill two birds and get the deal through them with the convenience of keeping my number

feeling like i will try and go for the s24+ , based on today's digging - anyone who thinks there's some pitfalls, i'd apprecaite the tips ;D

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8652 on: January 23, 2024, 04:04:02 pm »
thanks mate, appreciate the reply and tip - can see some great deals on samsung's site like you mention. good option to hold. from what I can gather EE is a preferred partner so is laready getting some of the benefits of this, so might be able to kill two birds and get the deal through them with the convenience of keeping my number

feeling like i will try and go for the s24+ , based on today's digging - anyone who thinks there's some pitfalls, i'd apprecaite the tips ;D
Just ordered the plus now. The 10% code I found online worked so took €115 off. Doubt it will work in the UK but might be worth a try.  UPIE10

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8653 on: January 23, 2024, 04:31:49 pm »
Just ordered the plus now. The 10% code I found online worked so took €115 off. Doubt it will work in the UK but might be worth a try.  UPIE10
ta mate, have also ordered my upgrade too! (got a samsung watch6 free - never had a smart watch before so will be interesting)

looking forward to messing around with it (and inevitably struggling to work out how to make the best of it) - will share anything useful i find!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #8654 on: January 23, 2024, 07:13:15 pm »
Ordered the OnePlus 12 today to replace my 18 month old OnePlus 10 Pro. Been a while since I've ordered a phone day 1 so looking forward to have a top spec phone.

Over £400 cheaper than the equivalent Galaxy s24 ultra

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8655 on: January 23, 2024, 11:54:18 pm »
ta mate, have also ordered my upgrade too! (got a samsung watch6 free - never had a smart watch before so will be interesting)

looking forward to messing around with it (and inevitably struggling to work out how to make the best of it) - will share anything useful i find!
Think I am supposed to be getting a code for the free watch as well. Not bothered about smart watches in anyway but will be a nice present for herself.
Ordered the OnePlus 12 today to replace my 18 month old OnePlus 10 Pro. Been a while since I've ordered a phone day 1 so looking forward to have a top spec phone.

Over £400 cheaper than the equivalent Galaxy s24 ultra
Sounds like a great phone from what I've seen. Just a bit to big and bulky for me even if the shape is better in the hand than the ultra.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #8656 on: January 24, 2024, 02:46:42 pm »
Wasn't planning to get the S24 Ultra but the trade in value is so good that I might go for it

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8657 on: January 30, 2024, 09:56:26 pm »
Wasn't planning to get the S24 Ultra but the trade in value is so good that I might go for it

You have to pay for the AI services post 31/12/2025 mind.  Thought it was a bit sneaky of Samsung casually mentioning that after millions of pre-orders have gone in.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8658 on: January 30, 2024, 09:58:31 pm »
Had a feel of the S24, brilliantly designed phone. Feels like an iPhone actually. Was about to order until I saw the 4000mah battery. Would it kill them to go 4500mah?? Even the S22/S23 had shit battery capacity.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #8659 on: January 30, 2024, 10:30:03 pm »
Had a feel of the S24, brilliantly designed phone. Feels like an iPhone actually. Was about to order until I saw the 4000mah battery. Would it kill them to go 4500mah?? Even the S22/S23 had shit battery capacity.

You may not notice the difference. The Snapdragon 8 gen 3 (or the Exynos equivalent) should be better at power management than the previous gen

Maybe have a look at the OnePlus 12R. Similar specs but bigger battery and 100W fast charge. Gets you from 0-50% in less than 15 mins. Plus you actually get a charging plug in the box  :P

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8660 on: January 30, 2024, 10:55:03 pm »
You may not notice the difference. The Snapdragon 8 gen 3 (or the Exynos equivalent) should be better at power management than the previous gen

Maybe have a look at the OnePlus 12R. Similar specs but bigger battery and 100W fast charge. Gets you from 0-50% in less than 15 mins. Plus you actually get a charging plug in the box  :P
Oneplus 12R looks impressive! Doesn't seem to be out yet so might wait a few weeks until it's more widely available

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8661 on: February 9, 2024, 01:06:18 pm »

Such a shame it's Exynos. If you care about battery and can get the S23+ for cheap you will love it.