Author Topic: The Horse Racing thread  (Read 334021 times)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Re: The Horse Racing thread
« Reply #3920 on: December 27, 2020, 02:44:28 pm »
Well that was shit in that last race. Ok Iam a bit of a novice when it comes to form , studying etc but fookin ell you can study all you want and can't predict what's just happened to Sceau Royal . I see it finished second though without a jockey and knew the 7lb it got would come in handy .

;D
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3921 on: December 27, 2020, 02:47:24 pm »
Disappointing from Altior despite having to give weight. I know he’s hit flat spots and come home strongly in the past, but he was always struggling just to get on terms today. Been off a while so might be better for the run.
Impressive performances from Appreciate It, Chacun Pour Soi and Shishkin today. Hard to see anything to beat them in March
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #3922 on: December 27, 2020, 03:51:42 pm »
A EW double of Ballycairn and Royale Pagaille has got me my money back from today .

What' going on at Chepstow tomorrow as all my horse are void.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3923 on: December 27, 2020, 03:54:35 pm »
Think time has got on terms with Altior. He shouldn’t get beat by Nube Negra if he had to give him a stone.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #3924 on: December 28, 2020, 11:32:28 am »
Think time has got on terms with Altior. He shouldn’t get beat by Nube Negra if he had to give him a stone.

Maybe, but am wondering if the yard in general is amiss, as he has had a few run shockers in the last few days.

Speculative ew on Tawseef at Catterick later . It’s a well handicapped beast in the type of race McCain does well in.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3925 on: December 29, 2020, 10:01:15 am »
A real test for monkfish today up against Latest Exhibition. LE is a decent price considering there was almost nothing between them in the Albert Bartlett, but his last run was disappointing.

Like to see Aspire Tower prove his beating of Abacadabras first time out was no fluke, could possibly be the Champion Hurdle dark horse but will probably need to have improved again from that first run. Still a decent price all things considered. Interested to see how Saldier goes as well. Was very good when he last ran but seems to be the horse equivalent to Naby.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3926 on: December 29, 2020, 02:00:57 pm »
Cracking race that. Latest Exhibition is a very good horse, but Monkfish could be a bit special.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3927 on: December 29, 2020, 02:40:20 pm »
Cracking race that. Latest Exhibition is a very good horse, but Monkfish could be a bit special.

A cracking race is right Duvva mate. LE looks destined to always be the bridesmaid unfortuanetly but I'll tell you what they are two serious animals.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #3928 on: December 29, 2020, 03:00:47 pm »
Cracking racing from Leopardstown.

So far as Cheltenham is concerned, I wouldn’t be lumping on anything ante-post, in particular from the Mullins yard. A stable in exceptional form at Christmas doesn’t automatically mean they’ll still be so in March. The Elliot and Henderson yards on the other hand...

Had a nice touch with Amateur in the Mandarin. Fancied it was very well handicapped, but baulked at tipping it on here, because of past banana skins. Nice to see Jamie Bargary riding a winner, he’s struggled of late.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #3929 on: December 29, 2020, 06:22:27 pm »
A cracking race is right Duvva mate. LE looks destined to always be the bridesmaid unfortuanetly but I'll tell you what they are two serious animals.

LE will go for the NH Chase at chel, I reckon, which would most likely avoid MF. I was really impressed with his jumping  particularly at the last when he was going full tilt, he stays forever too so the extended distance would suit. Nolan has won the four miler before and was just pipped the year before last so he likes the race. MF could be the one to finally give Rich Ricci his Gold Cup. I know he's only ran twice over fences but he just looks like a machine.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3930 on: December 29, 2020, 06:39:38 pm »
LE will go for the NH Chase at chel, I reckon, which would most likely avoid MF. I was really impressed with his jumping  particularly at the last when he was going full tilt, he stays forever too so the extended distance would suit. Nolan has won the four miler before and was just pipped the year before last so he likes the race. MF could be the one to finally give Rich Ricci his Gold Cup. I know he's only ran twice over fences but he just looks like a machine.
Good point about the 4 miler, be interesting to see which way they go. Can certainly see the argument for the 4 miler if they don’t think they can beat Monkfish. He just seems closely matched enough that they might give it another go in the RSA.

Was also impressed with the Challow winner of Nicholls. He actually compared him to Denman! While I agree he looks like he’ll be even better over fences he’ll need to be very special to get near to another Denman. Think Denman was 2nd to Nicanor in the Ballymore after winning the Challow. Not sure which way Appreciate It will go yet but I’d be surprised if it’s not the Supreme which would leave Bravemansgame with a great chance.

Edit: Although the Challow winner has never won the Ballymore! And neither has Nicholls actually
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 06:43:03 pm by Two Turtle Duvvas »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3931 on: December 29, 2020, 07:33:54 pm »
Mullins has been farming races this month. Now he's getting his better types out he's making hay. Ricci has another strong squad this year. Monkfish, Chacun Pour Soi and Benie Des Dieux would be nice to own. Sharjah is an out and out grade 1 performer and even Royale Pagaille with Venetia Williams looks very progressive.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3932 on: December 30, 2020, 04:00:46 pm »
Mullins has been farming races this month. Now he's getting his better types out he's making hay. Ricci has another strong squad this year. Monkfish, Chacun Pour Soi and Benie Des Dieux would be nice to own. Sharjah is an out and out grade 1 performer and even Royale Pagaille with Venetia Williams looks very progressive.

Changed their training routine this year to have them more wound up for Christmas, not sure what that will mean in relation to Cheltenham but it definitely worked for Leopardstown and Limerick.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3933 on: December 30, 2020, 04:03:23 pm »

I'm not sure if he will to be honest. I think they are in purgatory really. He's only one or two bad Monkfish jumps away from beating him so they will probably take their chance. I'm just not sure there'll ever be one or two bad Monkfish jumps.

Definitely think Monkfish is winning a Gold Cup, which is mad to say after two chasing starts.

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3934 on: December 30, 2020, 07:43:36 pm »
Good point about the 4 miler, be interesting to see which way they go. Can certainly see the argument for the 4 miler if they don’t think they can beat Monkfish. He just seems closely matched enough that they might give it another go in the RSA.

Was also impressed with the Challow winner of Nicholls. He actually compared him to Denman! While I agree he looks like he’ll be even better over fences he’ll need to be very special to get near to another Denman. Think Denman was 2nd to Nicanor in the Ballymore after winning the Challow. Not sure which way Appreciate It will go yet but I’d be surprised if it’s not the Supreme which would leave Bravemansgame with a great chance.

Edit: Although the Challow winner has never won the Ballymore! And neither has Nicholls actually

That's an interesting stat about the Challow (you sent me hurtling off to Wikipedia to check previous winners!) but it wouldn't put me off yesterday's winner if I was impressed with his run. Fwiw I have no strong opinion on the Ballymore at this stage. I thought Third Time Lucki looked a Ballymore type when he stayed on up the hill in last year's bumper but he has been campaigned at 2m this year. If he turned up he would interest me. On this years form though Nicholls horse is not an unworthy fav, he put some distance between himself and the rest after the last yesterday.

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3935 on: December 30, 2020, 08:13:29 pm »
I'm not sure if he will to be honest. I think they are in purgatory really. He's only one or two bad Monkfish jumps away from beating him so they will probably take their chance. I'm just not sure there'll ever be one or two bad Monkfish jumps.

Definitely think Monkfish is winning a Gold Cup, which is mad to say after two chasing starts.

Don't necessarily disagree with you, it will be a tough decision. Latest Exhibition looks a classier type than Nolan's previous runners in the long distance event so his apparent liking for the race may just have been a case of what he had at his disposal. Also connections may want Cooper to ride although if they do go down the road of the amateur contest, they wont be short of phone calls from the top guys. I think its also important to acknowledge that the four miler has become a more prestigious race in its own right in recent times so, prize money aside, there's no reason not to go down the route of the extreme test of jumping and stamina if Nolan thinks it suits his horse better. From my own POV, id like to see him in the four miler, as he looks a really really nice type who I would like on my side and I'm not backing anything against Monkfish!!

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3936 on: December 31, 2020, 10:38:00 am »
Don't necessarily disagree with you, it will be a tough decision. Latest Exhibition looks a classier type than Nolan's previous runners in the long distance event so his apparent liking for the race may just have been a case of what he had at his disposal. Also connections may want Cooper to ride although if they do go down the road of the amateur contest, they wont be short of phone calls from the top guys. I think its also important to acknowledge that the four miler has become a more prestigious race in its own right in recent times so, prize money aside, there's no reason not to go down the route of the extreme test of jumping and stamina if Nolan thinks it suits his horse better. From my own POV, id like to see him in the four miler, as he looks a really really nice type who I would like on my side and I'm not backing anything against Monkfish!!

Can't disagree with any of that. I'm actually in the same boat myself as a I really like Latest Exhibition but can't see anything beating Monkfish.

Agree on the four miler becoming more prestigous too, Willie sent Carefully Selected there last year and although he didn't win it was a sign as he was definitely looked upon as a grade 1 horse before it.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3937 on: December 31, 2020, 04:27:55 pm »
That's an interesting stat about the Challow (you sent me hurtling off to Wikipedia to check previous winners!) but it wouldn't put me off yesterday's winner if I was impressed with his run. Fwiw I have no strong opinion on the Ballymore at this stage. I thought Third Time Lucki looked a Ballymore type when he stayed on up the hill in last year's bumper but he has been campaigned at 2m this year. If he turned up he would interest me. On this years form though Nicholls horse is not an unworthy fav, he put some distance between himself and the rest after the last yesterday.
There’s a similar stat about the Feltham winner never having won the RSA. All stats will crash and burn one day, but I do like to consider them when it comes to Cheltenham, particularly in the handicaps.
No first time gold cup winner had been beaten in the race previously until Native River won it on his second attempt. Native River was also the only horse to wear headgear to win it.

Lots of great stats and trends that help on gaultstats.com, really excellent site. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I find them very useful

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3938 on: December 31, 2020, 05:18:48 pm »
There’s a similar stat about the Feltham winner never having won the RSA. All stats will crash and burn one day, but I do like to consider them when it comes to Cheltenham, particularly in the handicaps.
No first time gold cup winner had been beaten in the race previously until Native River won it on his second attempt. Native River was also the only horse to wear headgear to win it.

Lots of great stats and trends that help on gaultstats.com, really excellent site. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I find them very useful

Stats are very useful, paticularly relating to weight and age in handicaps. I will have a look thanks.

Don't think that one about a first time winner not having been beaten before in the gold cup is right though. The Fellow springs to mind immediately as one who did it and I would be surprised if there aren't others.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 05:21:52 pm by goalrushatgoodison »

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3939 on: December 31, 2020, 05:51:16 pm »
Stats are very useful, paticularly relating to weight and age in handicaps. I will have a look thanks.

Don't think that one about a first time winner not having been beaten before in the gold cup is right though. The Fellow springs to mind immediately as one who did it and I would be surprised if there aren't others.
Sorry yes the stats for the gold cup are for this century only. The chap who’s site it is puts up a selection for each race as well, and he usually does quite well

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3940 on: December 31, 2020, 06:21:06 pm »
https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/nolan-expects-latest-improvement/187946

Keeping their options open with Latest Exhibition. Sounds to me like they’ll have one more run. I’d imagine if they decide to take Monkfish on again in the Flogas and lose they may go elsewhere at Cheltenham, but if they take in a different race prior to the festival they wouldn’t be frightened to take him on again

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3941 on: January 3, 2021, 09:55:02 am »
Another big priced Elliott bumper horse out today, Ginto. Not much price today but expect it’ll be a lot shorter for Cheltenham if it wins well.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3942 on: January 5, 2021, 09:35:32 pm »
French Aseel bought by the Donnellys going to Willie Mullins. First runner for them in the Triumph?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3943 on: January 5, 2021, 10:04:29 pm »
I reckon they’ll have paid a fortune for him.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3944 on: January 5, 2021, 11:42:43 pm »
I reckon they’ll have paid a fortune for him.

Probably 300+?

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3945 on: January 6, 2021, 05:57:05 pm »
I see Goldikova has died, she was some horse saw her a couple of times at Ascot

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3946 on: January 8, 2021, 03:04:55 pm »
I don't bet on the horses as much as i used to, but have started again recently.

So, can anyone tell me was today some sort of weird NH flat race day, as both Lingfield and Newcastle have 2M bumpers right through the card??

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3947 on: January 8, 2021, 04:09:23 pm »
I don't bet on the horses as much as i used to, but have started again recently.

So, can anyone tell me was today some sort of weird NH flat race day, as both Lingfield and Newcastle have 2M bumpers right through the card??
They’re known as bumpers for jumpers or something like that. Sometimes when the weathers shit and they can’t get jumps meetings on they stage 2m all weather races for NH horses. Rarely see any really good NH horses involved mind. Think it’s more of a bookies benefit.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3948 on: January 8, 2021, 04:41:30 pm »
Thanks for the reply, just never seen a card completely consisting of bumpers before, never mind 2 cards on same day.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3949 on: January 8, 2021, 05:38:39 pm »
It’s fairly new I think, just the last few years it’s been happening. Think it started when there was that really cold snap in January/February 3/4 years back, when jumps was more or less wiped out for a week or two

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3950 on: January 9, 2021, 03:03:53 pm »
Adagio looked good for David Pipe earlier. Disappointing to see Imperial Aura unseat like that, wonder if they’ll look for another run before the Ryanair now, wouldn’t want to go there off that

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3951 on: January 9, 2021, 11:57:56 pm »
Just watched the racing. They clearly knew Secret Reprieve was chucked in. To be backed down to 5/2 in a National said everything. I wouldn’t have touched him at that price but you can’t argue with what he did at all.

Adagio and Nassalam had pulled well clear. Think they’re both quite a bit above average but Pipe’s was just better.

Shame to see Imperial Aura go out as you say. That Master Tommytucker is one you back and then sit behind the settee. Miracle every time he gets round but he can run a bit.

McFabulous didn’t have much to beat there but he impressed me.

Too many small fields over all though. Disappointing really. Too many graded races I think.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #3952 on: January 10, 2021, 07:35:43 am »
Just watched the racing. They clearly knew Secret Reprieve was chucked in. To be backed down to 5/2 in a National said everything. I wouldn’t have touched him at that price but you can’t argue with what he did at all.

Adagio and Nassalam had pulled well clear. Think they’re both quite a bit above average but Pipe’s was just better.

Shame to see Imperial Aura go out as you say. That Master Tommytucker is one you back and then sit behind the settee. Miracle every time he gets round but he can run a bit.

McFabulous didn’t have much to beat there but he impressed me.

Too many small fields over all though. Disappointing really. Too many graded races I think.

You’re not wrong about it being chucked in, 25lb less than Yala Enki running  3rd for 3rd time in this. Secret Reprieve did it well though will be interesting to see where it goes in future

agree with the comments on Adagio and McFabulous.

Not a bad days work for Nichols either. Just the 7 winners.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3953 on: January 12, 2021, 12:59:15 pm »
Couple of interesting races at Naas tomorrow. The Novice Chase could well produce an Arkle challenger in either Capt Guinness or the Mullins horse Energumene who was impressive first time up.

The Winner of the Grade 1 hurdle won by Envoi Allen last year will likely become favourite for the Ballymore assuming its won well by either Bob Olinger or Blue Lord. Although at this stage Bob Olinger has achieved more I’m tempted to have a bet on Blue Lord at 3/1 who is likely to have plenty of improvement from his first run.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3954 on: January 12, 2021, 01:25:45 pm »
Elliot has one going in the bumper by Dark Angel  :o Not something you see everyday.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3955 on: January 12, 2021, 02:14:31 pm »
Gary Moore has an interesting one at Plumpton tomorrow. Called Make My Day. Formerly trained by Ralph Beckett and owned by the Gunther’s who have had nice flat types. He was rated in the mid 90s on the level. Goshen’s owner has bought him. Not often you see a Galileo at Plumpton ;D

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3956 on: January 12, 2021, 03:12:48 pm »
Elliot has one going in the bumper by Dark Angel  :o Not something you see everyday.
That’s made me look up jumps horses by Dark Angel. I was expecting to find very few if any but there are more than I thought including Silver Streak, and Guitar Pete who Elliott used to train.

Edit: actually Elliott didn’t train Guitar Pete it was Dessie Hughes must be getting it mixed up with the Storyteller due to the owners colours
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 03:15:02 pm by duvva »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3957 on: January 12, 2021, 05:01:54 pm »
Khalid Abdullah has died. His horses’ footprint is all over the sport. Legend of the breeding game.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3958 on: January 12, 2021, 05:45:21 pm »
Khalid Abdullah has died. His horses’ footprint is all over the sport. Legend of the breeding game.
Probably not even room inside a single post to name all his great horses. Strange how he’s gone just after Enable finished, bit like Cecil with another of his and probably the best of the lot, Frankel.

Actually strange is not the right word really but there’s a nice symmetry to it I suppose
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:47:58 pm by duvva »

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3959 on: January 12, 2021, 06:23:34 pm »
Envoi Allen could be out again on Sunday and might be facing Asterion Forlonge. Should be a decent enough challenge as it’s a right handed which at least slightly negates AF jumping to the right.