Author Topic: Windows 10, professional spyware.  (Read 100564 times)

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Windows 10, professional spyware.
« Reply #520 on: September 23, 2015, 11:35:14 am »
I dunno.  My retail version of W7 is 2009 vintage.  My instincts tell me it would just be simpler to buy a copy of W10 on a USB stick or DVD and work direct from that.

You can legitimately download W7 here with your license key, pretty sure it will be fairly up do date - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

Anyway, if you are going to upgrade it to W10, why does it matter, I don't think you need to install all the updates before upgrading, maybe SP1.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #521 on: September 23, 2015, 11:39:32 am »
What do you mean by "clean 7 to 10"?  That sounds like you upgraded from W7?  Do you mean you did a clean install of W7, did all the updates, and then upgraded to 10 before doing anything else with your computer?  I originally thought of just putting W7 back on the new drive but then I realised it would have about six years' worth of updates to manage before I could even use the thing. >.>

My version on Windows 7 had SP1 included (got online) but no updates after that, just went straight to Win 10

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: September 23, 2015, 12:01:11 pm »
You can legitimately download W7 here with your license key, pretty sure it will be fairly up do date - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

Anyway, if you are going to upgrade it to W10, why does it matter, I don't think you need to install all the updates before upgrading, maybe SP1.

Well I wasn't planning on upgrading my existing W7 installation to W10.  I just thought a clean install of W10 on a brand new HD would be more convenient than me using my six year old W7 installation disk.  However being able to download an up to date version of W7 would be far better for me.  I just need to find my retail copy of W7 as this laptop uses an OEM.  I'm assuming MS wont try to identify the product key to this machine.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #523 on: September 28, 2015, 09:06:44 pm »
Finally got the stupid fucking thing installed!

Turned out it didn't like my CPU OC, reset the Bios and away we went!

Have to OC again now though!

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: September 28, 2015, 09:09:50 pm »

Thanks for the update, thinking of doing a clean install. Will Cmos the overclock.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #525 on: October 1, 2015, 11:22:03 pm »
OK... So Windows 10 is a bit of a spy slut  >:(

here we have several helpful bits of privacy software... ... google & research to see the impact of these bits of kit..  ;)

O&O ShutUp...free... no install at all...
http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

DisableWin..
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_10_tracking_disable_tool.html

Destroy Windows 10 Spying..
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/destroy_windows_10_spying.html

Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #526 on: October 2, 2015, 05:24:41 am »

If it didn't like your OC then your OC wasn't stable to begin with  :-X  ;D
:D

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #527 on: October 3, 2015, 05:14:04 pm »
Any tips please on setting up a new windows 8.1 Laptop to stop Windows 10 downloading.
Ive read just unclicking the Windows 10 update still doesn't stop the windows 10 update from starting.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #528 on: October 3, 2015, 06:44:38 pm »
Any tips please on setting up a new windows 8.1 Laptop to stop Windows 10 downloading.
Ive read just unclicking the Windows 10 update still doesn't stop the windows 10 update from starting.

It won't install unless you let it. I'd leave it alone if you really don't want the free upgrade. It's not going to take up much space.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: October 3, 2015, 11:10:15 pm »
Setting up a new laptop last week. made a conscious effort to make sure it didn't download windows 10. clicked i didn't want windows 10 when i was doing updates and it kept on trying to download it first. kept on stopping the update and doing another check on updates later. checking optional updates and unclicked the windows 10 dowload each time but it still carried on doing it.
There was a problem with the Laptop and got a refund from shop but don't want the same thing to happen on Monday when i pick up new laptop.
Ive no idea what i missed to be honest.
EDIT. Have I got this windows 10 download wrong. it will download the update but won't install without my permission.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2015, 11:15:25 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: October 4, 2015, 12:08:27 pm »
It's downloaded onto my laptop but I am not installing it.  I've not bothered deleting it though, as it will probably just download it again.  I'll probably have a similar problem when I get the new hard drive for my PC and put W7 on it.

Popcorn's Art

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: October 4, 2015, 09:34:51 pm »
It's downloaded onto my laptop but I am not installing it.  I've not bothered deleting it though, as it will probably just download it again.  I'll probably have a similar problem when I get the new hard drive for my PC and put W7 on it.
Thanks. so if Windows 10 trys to download it's not a problem. you have to manually choice to install it.

Emily Maitlis

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: October 4, 2015, 11:42:18 pm »
Thanks. so if Windows 10 trys to download it's not a problem. you have to manually choice to install it.

I refer you to this article I posted earlier:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/windows-10-automatic-download-1.3229063

Change your settings so you can see hidden files and folders, then check your root directory.  If you have a folder called $Windows.~BT then you have W10 downloaded onto your PC or laptop.  But you don't have to choose to install it.  I've just left it there.

Popcorn's Art

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: October 5, 2015, 12:49:38 am »
I refer you to this article I posted earlier:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/windows-10-automatic-download-1.3229063

Change your settings so you can see hidden files and folders, then check your root directory.  If you have a folder called $Windows.~BT then you have W10 downloaded onto your PC or laptop.  But you don't have to choose to install it.  I've just left it there.
Thanks for the info. am a bit more prepared now. knew I hadn't selected the windows 10 update last week and it just kept on trying to download by itself. will select. the let me decide updates option this time and hope that's ok. Microsoft have lost a lot of credibility the last few years.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: October 5, 2015, 11:44:03 pm »
So windows ten doesn't like blag softwear.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #535 on: October 5, 2015, 11:45:59 pm »
So windows ten doesn't like blag softwear.

What doesn't it like? I've had no issues testing blag software or games.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: October 5, 2015, 11:55:36 pm »
What doesn't it like? I've had no issues testing blag software or games.
happy your testing went well.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: October 14, 2015, 02:22:07 pm »
Anyone have any issues during video playback or streaming video content?

Every now and then during video playback the PC makes a noise that suggests it's going to crash but it just freezes for a milisecond and moves on.

It does a very similar thing during streaming, kinda pauses for a second, as if it's buffering/catching up with itself.

Very odd, never had these issues on 7....only sprung up post upgrade. Is it a compatibility issue perhaps?

Also I put together a cheap PC for my folks from some bits and pieces I already had and some budget parts. Windows 10 won't install due to an incompatible GPU (MOBO onboard chipset), does anyone know what's the least I can spend to get this working?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #538 on: October 14, 2015, 02:24:55 pm »
Had this last night. Can't remember what I was watching, some movie (Mad Max?) anyway mine usually happens when it's going to do an update, so I usually just restart it, it installs the updates then was fine.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: October 14, 2015, 02:54:40 pm »
Sound. Will have a look for updates pending when I get in.

Cheers laaa :wave

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: October 14, 2015, 03:09:35 pm »

Every now and then during video playback the PC makes a noise that suggests it's going to crash but it just freezes for a milisecond and moves on.

It does a very similar thing during streaming, kinda pauses for a second, as if it's buffering/catching up with itself.

Very odd, never had these issues on 7....only sprung up post upgrade. Is it a compatibility issue perhaps?

Also I put together a cheap PC for my folks from some bits and pieces I already had and some budget parts. Windows 10 won't install due to an incompatible GPU (MOBO onboard chipset), does anyone know what's the least I can spend to get this working?

Literally just happened to me now.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: October 14, 2015, 03:51:09 pm »
Apparently there's a very simple work around by setting a registry value to 1 rather than 0.

Will sort it out the next time I'm round there.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: October 17, 2015, 01:58:05 pm »

Just a little update on this, it's 100% a driver issue.

Did a complete driver uninstall and played a video, no issue.

Reinstalled latest beta drivers from AMD and now it's perfect! Get on this buzz if you're having the same issues.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: October 24, 2015, 08:39:42 pm »
Just upgraded to this, I think it's a lot better than the Windows I previously had, not sure which one it was though!

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: October 27, 2015, 03:24:19 pm »
new version of Spybot Anti-Beacon released :)

https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=58

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
  • Butter does not Discriminate.
« Reply #545 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:25 pm »
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: October 30, 2015, 10:31:18 pm »
Microsoft reportedly planning to get "more aggressive" when it comes to W10 upgrades...

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/operating-systems/matthew-wilson/microsoft-to-get-more-aggressive-with-windows-10-upgrades/

Popcorn's Art

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #547 on: October 31, 2015, 10:58:57 am »
Microsoft should try promoting / selling the operating system on it's merits and not force it on users who are probably already quite happy with their Win 7 or 8 machines (with proper Start button ;)).

The way MS have aggressively pushed this on people has caused some resentment about Win 10 operating system itself (and that's before we get into the driver and privacy issues, plus it's lacklustre performance on older computers that ran Win 7 pretty well).

Did my 34th revert last week - think that's on a par with the number of Vista to XP upgrades I did back in the day (eeek!)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: October 31, 2015, 01:31:31 pm »
MS were a bit twattish over Vista as well as I recall - although that might have been because Vista was a piece of shit that nobody wanted pre-installed on their machines.  Was so glad I clung on to XP long enough for W7 to come out.

Popcorn's Art

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #549 on: October 31, 2015, 05:58:01 pm »
Absolutely mate - MS should have given away Windows 7 for free to Vista users at the time by way of an apology (as Win 7 was basically the finished version of Vista with added tweaks and improvements made from the appalling feedback received for Vista). 

I remember many people buying new computers (and printers etc) due to the system requirements for Vista - and 512mb of RAM was never going to be enough to run Vista, more like 2gb, a good processor and a lot of patience ;) Quite expensive back at the time to get a 2gb RAM machine with a decent processor too.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #550 on: November 15, 2015, 05:48:16 pm »
Finally tried to update to Win10 this afternoon and I keep getting the error: WindowsUpdate_C1900208" "WindowsUpdate_dt000.

Does this mean anything to anybody? Thank you.

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #551 on: November 16, 2015, 06:08:24 pm »
Finally tried to update to Win10 this afternoon ......

Surely you mean DOWNgrade to Win10?  ;-)

They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Online wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #552 on: November 16, 2015, 06:36:54 pm »
Surely you mean DOWNgrade to Win10?  ;-)
Is it really that bad /disappointing? 😕

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: November 16, 2015, 07:42:20 pm »
I love it...

Have to tried upgrading from disk and not the download?

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: November 16, 2015, 09:02:25 pm »
Is it really that bad /disappointing? 😕

It's fine, but you aren't one of the cool kids if you don't disparage every version since Windows 3.0. It makes no real difference because it's an operating system and most of what it does is in the background while you are using more interesting software .
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: November 17, 2015, 07:14:42 am »
In the past 20 years, W98, XP and W7 have all been good.  I have no experience of Vista, W8 or W10, but certainly the former was an absolute pig's ear of a job.

Popcorn's Art

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #556 on: November 19, 2015, 01:00:13 pm »
my CPU on my core i7 laptop was running at 90% on every startup over the last couple of weeks

installed OO ShutUp as recommended earlier in the thread and applied the recommended settings,

it seems to have done the trick, cpu back down to 9-10%

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: November 19, 2015, 05:49:53 pm »
In the past 20 years, W98, XP and W7 have all been good.  I have no experience of Vista, W8 or W10, but certainly the former was an absolute pig's ear of a job.

I've used all of them to some degree or other, the only really bad one was Windows ME with the "active desktop" that didn't do anything except crash on a regular basis. The first version of Windows 8 had some very odd and frustrating "features" (that thing where using the trackpad on a laptop would automatically and inexplicably switch you into whatever programme you had been using before was a work of evil genius) but they were easy enough to disable, and 8.1 fixed what was left.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #558 on: November 27, 2015, 09:25:52 pm »
Taken the plunge (again) and attempted an update. All gone well, but on a reboot, it has gone back into windows 7 and I now have 'limited access'  to the Internet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #559 on: November 27, 2015, 11:15:20 pm »
I had issues with this, but was after a Defender update. Seems like a few causes. One which helped me:

Open cmd prompt and run:
sfc /scannow

Do the fixing thing if files have been corrupted.

Followed that with:
netsh winsock reset

Restart
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."