Author Topic: Brighton & Hove Albion vs Liverpool (FA Cup 4th Round) - 13:30, Sun 29th January  (Read 10089 times)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Liverpool

13:30, Sunday 29th January
Falmer Stadium, Brighton
FA Cup Fourth Round
Referee: David Coote

FA Cup holders Liverpool make a swift return to the south coast this weekend, with one-time runners-up Brighton & Hove Albion their hosts. The Seagulls – now managed by Italian Roberto De Zerbi – cruised into this fourth round tie courtesy of a 5-1 win away to Championship Middlesbrough, whilst Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool arrive having beaten Wolves (away, 1-0) at the second time of asking (following a somewhat controversial 2-2 draw at Anfield). The sides are separated by three league positions and just 2 points, but there are contrasting moods around the clubs – Brighton occupy 6th and might just be working on the best season in their history, whilst Liverpool languish in 9th and have endured a torrid first half of the season.

It is of course only a fortnight since Brighton & Hove Albion last hosted Liverpool, with the recent Premier League fixture stirring extremely contrasting emotions for supporters of both sides. The injury-hit Reds put in an entirely lacklustre first-half performance, before a Solly March brace early in the second-half handed control to the Seagulls. The hosts’ victory was sealed with ten minutes to spare: Danny Welbeck’s touch & finish were utter class, but the goal game from a throw-in and the visitors’ hapless defending currently stands as one of the most representative moments of their dismal season to date. Liverpool supporters will hope that the 3-0 defeat proves to be the nadir of their season – perhaps even being their lowest point in seven season; Brighton, on the other hand – gilded by the return of World Cup-winner Alexis Mac Allister – could claim to have given their supporters their best moment of the club’s current six-year top-flight stay to date.

The sides last met in the FA Cup in a fifth round tie at Anfield ten years ago, with Kenny Dalglish’s Liverpool hosting Guy Poyet’s Brighton. The Reds progressed to the next round following a 6-1 victory, courtesy of goals from Martin Skrtel, Andy Carroll, and Luis Suarez, alongside a trio of own goals. Lewis Dunk is a notable name on that 2012 team-sheet – Dunk was his side’s captain for the 3-0 win two weeks ago, and can be extremely proud of the long & successful career he’s enjoyed with his hometown club. The 2012 meeting was a seventh between the sides in the competition, with Brighton claiming a couple of victories in 1983 and ’84 (and Jimmy Case scoring an Anfield winner for the Seagulls in the first of those wins!). Liverpool of course added an 8th FA Cup to their trophy cabinet last season, whilst 1983 finalists (losing their Wembley replay 4-0 to Manchester United) Brighton were eliminated 3-1 away to Spurs in the fourth round.

Following their relegation from their previous stint in the top-flight in 1983, Brighton & Hove Albion spent quarter of a century yo-yo-ing between the second and third tiers. Their stability & progression since then seems to have coincided with the arrival of current owner, Tony Bloom, in 2009. Promotion to the Championship was secured in 2011 and – but for a very 2014-15 – the Seagulls were usually in & around the Playoff positions during their six year stay. Chris Hughton was the manager who took the helm during that challenging season, and he went on to secure automatic promotion in 2017. Hughton would keep Brighton in the Premier League through his next two seasons in charge, but survival in 2019 was hard-fought and the board opted for change.

Graham Potter was the manager identified to succeed Hughton and lead the Seagulls into a new era as an established top-flight club. A former Football League left-back, Potter had developed a strong reputation whilst guiding Swedish side Östersund from the fourth-tier to the top-flight and Europa League football over a seven year stay, before steadying a relegated Swansea in 2018-19. The Seagulls were unspectacular through Potter’s first two seasons, and he worked to adapt the team to his style, but his reputation surged once again last season, with Brighton finishing a best-ever 9th place. The good times looked set to continue this season, with Brighton sitting 4th in mid-September after winning four of their opening six matches. Unfortunately for supporters of the Seagulls, Thomas Tuchel’s Chelsea had started the season poorly – Tuchel was dismissed and Potter was a wanted man. Despite Brighton sitting as pretty as they ever had, there were suddenly question marks over their project once again.

Enter Roberto De Zerbi, a former Italian attacking-midfielder of many clubs. De Zerbi spent three season in charge at Serie A Sassuolo between 2018 and 2021, helping I Neroverdi really entrench themselves in the top flight following their 2013 promotion. De Zerbi moved on to Shakhtar Donetsk for 2021-22, and his side sat top of the league with a slight advantage over Dynamo Kyiv when the season was abandoned following the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022. It may have seemed that supporters’ concerns at the managerial change were justified during the first month or so of De Zerbi’s tenure, as Brighton took just 2 points from five matches, but things have been pretty good for three months now – the Seagulls have won five of eight games and currently sit 6th, with games in hand over those round them.

Brighton were eye-catching from the flanks in the recent league encounter, with Solly March netting a brace and Kaoru Mitoma causing all sorts of problems down Liverpool’s right. Jurgen Klopp has deployed a new midfield trio of Thiago, Naby Keita, and Stefan Bajcetic in the last two games, but will be mindful of the threat of Mitoma – in particular – when selecting his XI for Sunday. Roberto De Zerbi, too, will have more to think about: Darwin Nunez is likely to make a first start in four weeks on Sunday and is never far from the heart of the action. Brighton have some favourable league fixtures coming up, and progression in the FA Cup could really see them push on with the season with a spring in their step. Even with the replay against Wolves, Liverpool’s recent schedule has been relatively light – supporters would dearly love to see evidence of some rhythm having been established on the training ground during Sunday’s match: a far better showing than a fortnight ago is much needed.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
this will be interesting - Chaos is available.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
Jürgen's 'post-embargo' presser...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IOyrKUWmXA
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Liverpool

Referee: David Coote

>:(

Offline nerdster4

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Nunez is available and the league game car crash midfield can be altered . Perhaps 1-0 instead of 3-0 but it will take a big performance to come away with anything . They have had our number a lot recently even when we were good, with us only winning 1 of the last 6. Their defence is average which gives me hope

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
Finding it hard to motivate myself for this one. Can the season just be over now? we've already suffered enough this season I don't need to watch anymore games of our once dynamic midfield parting like the red sea to get the idea that we're in a state of decay. Anyway if both sides play a full strength side its hard to see past a Brighton win, that's how low we've sunk that I'm expecting a team like Brighton to win comfortably.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don't know if this s the right place to post this.

Apologies if I've made a mistake.

Moises Caicedo issues plea to leave Brighton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4dHIoTvAeo

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
Guess it's an interesting test of our new approach to play the side that forced us to change so soon again. Expect them to have a lot of the ball in their defensive third trying to tempt us to press high up. After an iffy start we defend open play pretty well Vs Chelsea. Need to be a fair bit better in possession but having Nunez as an out ball should at least make us a bigger goal threat. Him, Trent and aid be tempted to bring in Matip as well. We were awful defending set pieces against Chelsea so he should help with that.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for an in depth op Jack and for the embargoed presser, interesting. I guess the match is a good chance to demonstrate change. Coote is bad news! Sounds like Nunez, Gakpo and Mo up front, with Naby right of midfield. Hope to see a narrow win. Nunez back definitely helps!
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
So Caicedo won’t be playing for them. That’s something. Think I saw Lallana is out too. But as others have said, they’ll just slot in some randoms we’ve never heard of who look even better.

Would like to see us go strong for this, whatever strong entails these days! Think picking the same midfield as our league game there would be foolish, we have to try something different.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hope Nunez & Carvalho start.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hope Nunez & Carvalho start.

Carvalho isn't available.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Nunez is available and the league game car crash midfield can be altered . Perhaps 1-0 instead of 3-0 but it will take a big performance to come away with anything . They have had our number a lot recently even when we were good, with us only winning 1 of the last 6. Their defence is average which gives me hope

I can see us winning the game, don't think Brighton will be as strong for this one (Caicedo won't be playing and that will weaken them and unsettle them) and probably other changes they'll make. We will want to put that result right.

Just want to avoid another replay.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Carvalho isn't available.
Gakpo it is then ;D

Harvey as a left winger didn't work against Chelsea.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I can see us winning the game, don't think Brighton will be as strong for this one (Caicedo won't be playing and that will weaken them and unsettle them) and probably other changes they'll make. We will want to put that result right.

Just want to avoid another replay.

Even if the alternative is to lose?

Offline grenny158

• Main Stander
  • Be kind.
Just knob them.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
The league game was the most nailed on loss in history and it turned out that way, feeling a bit more positive about this one. If Caicedo isn't in the right frame of mind to play that'd be helpful too. Newcastle, Chelsea and Arsenal all out, we hopefully add Brighton to that, it's starting to look winnable if we can find something.

Hopefully we let Naby, Stef and Thiago go again. Gakpo winner in front of our end.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
We are going to get battered mk 2!

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
thanks for the write up OP

some negative comments on here - but it's the cup and the cup can be like a grand national at times and favourites can fall early and shocks and surprises happen all the time

(enough with the horse racing analogies) so to me it's all there to play for

we ain't gonna win the league so why not aim for this great day out in the smoke

..and back to the horse racing analogies - form books? meh! how many of those guys that turn up at the bookies in their track suits and vapes drive bmws?

hmm... quite a lot actually the benefit scrounging bastards so scrap that  :wave

:scarf
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I’m expecting a strong game from us. You seldom get a chance to put a wrong right this quickly, we must prove a point here.

Not really fussed about the cup, but I am about us playing much better than we have recently.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I expected to get beaten by them in the league because our midfield at the time was miles behind theirs and especially because without Nunez we weren't going to threaten up top.
But with the Nunez back and a more competitive midfield I think this will be close. Their absences are also significant.  Could easily be a draw and the dreaded replay.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
Even if the alternative is to lose?

No but we need to avoid a replay.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
The league game was the most nailed on loss in history and it turned out that way, feeling a bit more positive about this one. If Caicedo isn't in the right frame of mind to play that'd be helpful too. Newcastle, Chelsea and Arsenal all out, we hopefully add Brighton to that, it's starting to look winnable if we can find something.

Hopefully we let Naby, Stef and Thiago go again. Gakpo winner in front of our end.

Yeah, you didn't just know we'd lose to Brighton yiu knew we were getting thumped and it took that to at least change things a bit. I Don't think we'll lose tomorrow as long as the effort is there.

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
Good chance of us causing an upset here. 2-0 to us…magic of the cup and all that.

Offline mickl

• many mickls makes a muckl
  • Anny Roader
We are going to win this game. We are also going to beat Real Madrid.

If you come on here to whine, consider not sharing your feelings, as they’re not worth knowing about.

We are loyal supporters, fanatics everyone.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Caicedo out is nice but then again Trossard was and they completely bummed us anyway. If we can turn up again in midfield as we did against Wolves though we'll win this I feel and have a very good chance of going all the way again in this competition. Hopefully they're unsettled by this whole episode, two big players wanting out in the space of a couple of weeks, one already gone. We know we have to turn up and play far better than we did a couple of weeks ago so I'd not expect another Brighton walkover at all.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online anitrella

• Anny Roader

If you come on here to whine, consider not sharing your feelings, as they’re not worth knowing about.

is right

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

:wellin
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We've never won back to back FA Cups, come on lads, lets do it this season, before lifting Big Ears in Istanbul.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Yeah think this is a different ball game to the league tie to be honest. Got a good feeling we'll win this one!

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Who stops mitoma?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jurgen YNWA

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Thanks Jack, you put a lot of effort into the OP…..nice one.

Looking forward to the game and to see if we are improving. I expect a much better game from us but we’ll have to be much better in midfield and in defence.

I can see it being a draw and us winning the replay. I wouldn’t be surprised though if we win 2-0. It’s going to be a tough match and we’ll have to play well.
#JFT97

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
Who stops mitoma?

Looked like Hazard on that left wing last time we played them. Tbf we also made trossard look like a world beater at anfield. Just hope caicedo being out means we can compete a bit more in midfield now.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
I am going to this

Equally excited and dreading it
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Egyptian36

• crescendo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Thanks for OP.

For some reason I keep thinking this game is today, checked my phone like 5 times.
I will hate the nerds for ever if we miss out on Johnny Cardoso this guy is perfect for us

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'

BOOM.

Yes angry Klopp will have been working on Darwin and several others. A first goal for Cody and a WIN.

Come on you Redmen!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
I know it's never going to happen but I'd like to see a 343 tomorrow. Reason being is we've got full backs that don't seem to be able to get high up the pitch right now. On occasions they do it leave's our centre backs vulnerable. What's happened in some games is our right sided centre back has been pulled towards the left winger of the opposition creating a hole in the middle, think this happened for the goal we conceded against Leicester and Mitoma kept finding himself running at our centre backs in similar area's the other week. An extra one in there could help with that and it means Trent and Robbo can go higher, we've really suffered not having them in the games as much as we used to. They got crazy numbers not so long ago but they were in area's of the pitch where they could consistently create, our biggest creative outlets have disappeared.

I also think it might help Mo get get narrower and closer to the goal if he's not the one expected to be on the touchline all the time. Better quality balls arriving in the box to Nunez, Gakpo and Mo where we need them.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 03:05:48 pm by naYoRHa2b »