Author Topic: LFC Squad - World Cup Break  (Read 45379 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
LFC Squad - World Cup Break
« on: October 31, 2022, 12:43:56 pm »
Obviously we're desperate for a reset and rethink during the World Cup break so lets see what players Klopp will have to work with

Definitely not going

GK - Adrian, Kelleher

DEF - Matip (retired from Cameroon squad), Robertson, Ramsay, Tsimikas, Nat Phillips, Bajcetic, Chambers

Midfield - Milner, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones, Elliott, Clark, Arthur (depending on fitness)

Striker - Salah, Diaz (depending on fitness)

Question marks

Trent (because Southgate is a c*nt)
Gomez (depends on if his Leeds game hasn't bombed his chances)
Konate (depends on fitness)
Carvalho (with Jota out he is now in with a shout in Portugal)
Jota (obviously out but doesn't sound like a season ender)
Thiago (didn't make the Spain squad for the Nations League but still has a chance)

So there can be a squad that could be cobbled out of that.

So first thing. Do we give those players a break? Recharge and come back after the world cup or do they treat it like a Pre-Season? Can we work with that squad? Work on a system that gets the most out of those players so that going into the Villa game on 26th December we use that spine with a mix of those come back early from Qatar?

I guess what I'm saying is that if we went into Villa with this team

Kelleher

Milner, Matip, Gomez/Konate, Robertson

Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones,

Elliott Salah, Diaz

But working to a system that they spend the entire world cup working on, would you panic?

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC Squad - World Cup Break
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 12:52:17 pm »
Can't we do both?

Couple of weeks off for those not struggling with fitness then in for a mini pre season.

It's a 6wk break isn't it?

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 12:53:47 pm »
Honestly though Scotland had qualified up until yesterday so great that Robbo is getting a rest.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 12:57:04 pm »
I think you can move Konate and Carvalho to definitely not going, France and Portugal are stacked in those positions. And Gomez hasn't played for England for over two years, again feels pretty unlikely he'll go. Thiago feels unlikely too considering he rarely plays. So I think potentially you could be looking at only Alisson, Trent, VVD, Hendo, Fab and Nunez going and only Alisson, VVD and Nunez playing a significant amount. And Trent/Fab will be interesting to see if they even get into the squad.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 01:24:17 pm »
Just give them all a 6 week break and turn up a couple of days before Boxing Day. Jurgen should get a 4 week break. The rest of the coaching staff and medical team no break and told to work their arses off to find out what went wrong.

Online Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 04:42:22 pm »
If you ignore the League Cup 4th round, we have 43 days between games. Using the rule of 2 days of training required for every day off, the players not going to the world cup will probably get around 2 weeks off. So it might look something like this:

Sat 12 Nov: Southampton
Sun 13 Nov – Sun 27 Nov: Holiday
Mon 28 Nov – 4 Dec: 1 week training at Kirkby
Mon 5 Dec – 18 Dec: 2 week training camp in Dubai with a friendly or two
Mon 19 Dec - 25 Dec: Training at Kirkby and assuming we beat Derby, League Cup 4th round on Tue/Wed 20/21 December
Monday 26 December: Aston Villa

I would think that where possible we'll try to give a week off to those players who go to the world cup so those that that get knocked out at the group stages will join us in Dubai and be ready for Aston Villa. In terms of the players, it looks like this:

Didn’t qualify: Kelleher, Ramsay, Robertson, Tsimikas, Keita, Salah, Diaz
Retired/probably not selected/injured: Adrian, Konate, Matip, Gomez, Phillips, Milner, Arthur, Thiago, Jones, Ox, Elliott, Carvalho, Jota,
Likely to go: Alisson, Trent, van Djik, Fabinho, Henderson, Nunez, Firmino

We have a decent contingent of players who won't be going away. So the gap might turn out to be very valuable to Klopp. There is probably enough regulars there from day 1 that allows Klopp to do some meaningfully work on shape, patterns of play, pressing traps, etc. It’s also going to be another great opportunity for a couple of youngsters to train in a strong group. Could see something like the following on the training pitch emulating the 1st eleven vs 2nd eleven matches that we do before game day.

Kelleher

Ramsay          Konate          Matip          Robertson

Keita          Milner          Thiago

Elliott          Salah          Diaz

Adrian

Mabaya          Phillips          Gomez          Tsimikas

Ox          Bajcetic          Jones

Clark          Cannonier          Carvalho
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 04:44:37 pm by Too early for flapjacks? »

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 04:47:05 pm »
No fan of Southgate but i'd happily buy him a pint if he doesn't select any of our lads, although Henderson will go and Trent will probably get in as right backs keep getting injured. Gomez possibly.

Same with Enrique and Thiago.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 2, 2022, 10:38:06 pm »
I’m pretty certain Trent will go. Both James and Walker are out I think so that only leaves Trippier and Trent.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 2, 2022, 10:46:15 pm »
I’m pretty certain Trent will go. Both James and Walker are out I think so that only leaves Trippier and Trent.
Walker is back in training now.

I hope Trent doesn't go, he could do with a month's rest, mentally and physically.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #9 on: November 2, 2022, 11:17:21 pm »
Mo is doing some punditry for BeIn Sports so I assume he must know he's getting some holiday time to do that in.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 3, 2022, 12:05:04 am »
Our training camp for non world cup players is in Dubai anyway. I reckon it will be a bit more relaxed than a full on pre season tour.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 3, 2022, 01:08:24 am »
Our training camp for non world cup players is in Dubai anyway. I reckon it will be a bit more relaxed than a full on pre season tour.

I hope we schedule back to back games.  :(

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #12 on: November 3, 2022, 06:34:27 am »
The timing couldn't be better for us, and after our hit and miss season so far, this is the perfect opportunity to address all the issues of rest, fitness, shape, mentality, and tactics.

If this were a normal season, Jurgen would bite your hand off for a 6 weeks reset opportunity, so we've really got to make this count.

It's so disappointing we're not closer to the top of the table, as this was the ideal leveller to beat City this season. They're likely to have most of their best players at the WC: Ederson, Cancelo, Walker, Stones, Laporte, Ake, Dias, De Bruyne, Silva, Grealish, Philips, Gundogan, Foden and Alvarez. Not only is that a lot of players going  (in teams that could go far), but it leaves very few back in Manchester to prepare for the 2nd half of the season.

It's a huge advantage we've been granted this season, and whilst many have written the title off long ago, this is our chance to properly address our injuries, fatigue, mental focus, and to rediscover some of the form that almost won us the quadruple just 5 short months ago.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13 on: November 3, 2022, 09:52:21 am »
Likely to go: Firmino

Brazil have played 15 games since the Copa America and he hasn't played a minute (only in the squad twice). So seems unlikely.

I think Spain, Portugal and Uruguay have announced their 'big' squad and have included Thiago, Carvalho and Nunez so it'll be interesting to see who actually gets in over the next week or so.
« Last Edit: November 3, 2022, 09:56:30 am by El Lobo »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #14 on: November 3, 2022, 10:03:20 am »
When do the squads need to be finalised by?
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 3, 2022, 10:07:02 am »

Brazil have played 15 games since the Copa America and he hasn't played a minute (only in the squad twice). So seems unlikely.

I think Spain, Portugal and Uruguay have announced their 'big' squad and have included Thiago, Carvalho and Nunez so it'll be interesting to see who actually gets in over the next week or so.

Injuries and form means he didn't get much of a look in last year but with his return to fitness/upturn in form this year, combined with the fact he made the most recent squad, suggests he's in with a shot. But agree it's certainly not a given.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 3, 2022, 11:22:01 am »
^ the Man City and Napoli games mean Bobby goes to the WC. That’s how they pick the squad

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #17 on: November 3, 2022, 11:49:37 am »
The timing couldn't be better for us, and after our hit and miss season so far, this is the perfect opportunity to address all the issues of rest, fitness, shape, mentality, and tactics.

If this were a normal season, Jurgen would bite your hand off for a 6 weeks reset opportunity, so we've really got to make this count.

It's so disappointing we're not closer to the top of the table

Those last two defeats against the cellar-dwellers so costly; win those and we'd be tucked in with the chasing pack.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 3, 2022, 12:21:57 pm »
Injuries and form means he didn't get much of a look in last year but with his return to fitness/upturn in form this year, combined with the fact he made the most recent squad, suggests he's in with a shot. But agree it's certainly not a given.

Concern with Bobby is if he's really raised it this season hoping to make what would be his last World Cup. If he goes it could be like Salah post-afcon burnout and no Minamino/Origi to manage minutes more.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 3, 2022, 02:02:32 pm »
Concern with Bobby is if he's really raised it this season hoping to make what would be his last World Cup. If he goes it could be like Salah post-afcon burnout and no Minamino/Origi to manage minutes more.

I'm guessing Firmino would largely sit on the bench opposed to Salah who was playing 120 minutes every couple of days.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 3, 2022, 03:28:05 pm »
Quite a few players are going down with injuries, I guess its about the same as always, but now with a big issue of them missing world cup's. I wonder if that will affect the intensity with only a couple of weeks left.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #21 on: November 3, 2022, 04:12:17 pm »
I think the more interesting thing will be who's actually motivated to play after the World Cup and who's not. You'd assume those that aren't even going won't have that much of an issue with it but I think since this has never happened before there's going to be a lot of things happening that weren't expected. In the past anybody that got off to a slow start after playing in the summer still had the rest of the season to get back into form. Now? There's still 2/3rds of the season to go but games will be coming thick and fast to get it completed on time.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 3, 2022, 05:07:16 pm »
I think the more interesting thing will be who's actually motivated to play after the World Cup and who's not. You'd assume those that aren't even going won't have that much of an issue with it but I think since this has never happened before there's going to be a lot of things happening that weren't expected. In the past anybody that got off to a slow start after playing in the summer still had the rest of the season to get back into form. Now? There's still 2/3rds of the season to go but games will be coming thick and fast to get it completed on time.

It's like post-afcon. It didn't bother Mane (the lift of winning it as well) but Mo was physically/mentally affected the rest of the season.

Plenty of players who go the distance will struggle when they come back.

Quite a few players are going down with injuries, I guess its about the same as always, but now with a big issue of them missing world cup's. I wonder if that will affect the intensity with only a couple of weeks left.

I'd imagine very few players going to the World Cup will be involved in the League Cup next week and the last round of league matches will be lacking usual intensity from some.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #23 on: November 5, 2022, 11:58:55 am »
I think Gomez will go to the World Cup.  He can play in a two and a three, and can cover both full back positions…

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #24 on: November 5, 2022, 01:52:55 pm »
Good thing we're having a shit season, I'm looking forward to taking a break from football for a few weeks.

Imagine if we were having a season like 2018/19 or 2019/20. It'd be hell
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 5, 2022, 02:13:23 pm »
Good thing we're having a shit season, I'm looking forward to taking a break from football for a few weeks.

Just hoping as few of ours get called up as possible and we can get a good reset.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #26 on: November 5, 2022, 02:23:05 pm »
Hope Hendo, TAA and Gomez don't get called up.
Phuk yoo

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 5, 2022, 02:24:21 pm »

I'm hoping we have a nice little reset and then win every game after the restart. We're quite capable of pulling off a run like that.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 5, 2022, 02:58:30 pm »

Have a suspecion all 3 will. Probably won't play much though. Hendo will probably be a late sub in a lot of games, but thats it.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 5, 2022, 02:59:53 pm »
His main role will be to continue tapping up Jude.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 5, 2022, 03:01:24 pm »
His main role will be to continue tapping up Jude.

And Declan Rice apparently...  ;) ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #31 on: November 5, 2022, 03:10:10 pm »
And Declan Rice apparently...  ;) ;D

😵😵
Phuk yoo

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 5, 2022, 04:49:28 pm »

Gomez wont but Henderson is nailed on and so is Trent following Reece James’ injury.

Offline anandg_lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: November 5, 2022, 05:12:24 pm »
We will have the following players training with us.

GK : Adrian, Kelleher, Davies
Defenders : Robertson, Konate, Matip, Gomez, Ramsay, Tsimikas
Midfield : Thiago. Elliott, Carvalho , Milner, Bajcetic, Jones , Ox
Forwards : Salah, Diaz, Jota

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 5, 2022, 05:13:51 pm »
Konate might go now. Varane is out.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 5, 2022, 06:48:26 pm »
Gomez wont but Henderson is nailed on and so is Trent following Reece James’ injury.

I read today James reckons he'll be fit to go after all.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 5, 2022, 10:15:20 pm »
Konate might go now. Varane is out.

We can't catch a break.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #37 on: November 6, 2022, 09:02:31 am »

Don't understand why they need Hendo. They have the next Xavi - Declan Rice, Bellingham, Foden, Mason Mount etc. Enough CMs for a tournament.

Phuk yoo

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 7, 2022, 12:37:59 pm »
https://twitter.com/brunoandrd/status/1589525449885253633

Alisson, Fabinho and Firmino seemingly all in the 26 man squad.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 7, 2022, 12:39:05 pm »
Don't understand why they need Hendo. They have the next Xavi - Declan Rice, Bellingham, Foden, Mason Mount etc. Enough CMs for a tournament.

Foden will play in the front three and they play 3 midfielders anyway.