Author Topic: Melwood - Thanks for the Memories...  (Read 27430 times)

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Re: Melwood - Thanks for the Memories...
« Reply #200 on: November 13, 2020, 10:20:16 am »
Some great pics in here and many great memories. I used to nip over on the bus during school holidays with my mate. He was a big blue so we would alternate between Melwood and Bellefield just for a day out on the bus and to see who we could see.

Melwood will always be part of the story. As will the new training facility
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #201 on: November 13, 2020, 10:20:23 am »
pipa thanks for the pics, why is there a pic of joe cole and john terry though?

thanks for posting

They’re in England gear so presume it was where they trained when they had the odd international game at Anfield.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #202 on: November 13, 2020, 01:31:47 pm »
They’re in England gear so presume it was where they trained when they had the odd international game at Anfield.

Maybe Terry was in town to pick up his Mum...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Cletus vanDamme

• Main Stander
« Reply #203 on: November 15, 2020, 03:44:38 am »
Grew up in Canny Farm and would regularly nip up to Melwood on the 12C. We would be courteous and wait outside looking up towards the Village for the coach to turn up from Anfield about 10:30, and the gate man would just wave you in after the players. The coach would park up in the side road outside and the players would disembark and walk in. We would stand at the side of the pavilion and watch them train, and all of the players and staff would happily sign autographs on bits of paper, footballs etc.

I reckon it would be about 1975 and players I remember include Keegan, Toshack, Boersma, Clemence, Lindsay, Emlyn, Cormack, Callaghan. I remember being there one time and it was that cold that my fingers were frozen and I couldn’t get the top off my pen or open my autograph book at the next empty page for the players to sign, and remember Tommy Smith, Ray Kennedy and Terry Mac walking past me in those big black jumpers, steam coming off them like thoroughbred racehorses as I struggled with my stationery. I remember the crunch of their boots on the gravel as they walked off to get back on the bus to Anfield, and I would get back on my bus home and ask for “a scholar” back to the Farm.

Incidentally, I remember the footy cards you got with a sliver of chewy around the same time and reading the player stats on the back of them eg “Height 5ft 10 inches” and “Weight 12 stone 6 lbs” etc and thinking at the time “Wow, that must be a man’s height and weight” and then you grow up to surpass that to achieve a height of 6’4” and a weight of 120kg and think “You fat fucker, you’d never have made it” 🤣🤣🤣

I also used to go into Roby Turf betting shop on Derby Lane in the Swan on my way back from the Jobby just after Sir Bob had retired, and he would just be sat there behind the counter with a zip-up cardie taking the bets. He would always give us an autograph when asked but never on a betting slip 😎

I also remember a fella climbing out of The Kop to kick a tennis ball past Clemence into the goal during the warm up before the game and then jumping back into The Kop. Can’t remember the year/s but recall seeing it more than once.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: November 15, 2020, 08:43:03 am »
Grew up in Canny Farm and would regularly nip up to Melwood on the 12C.
Great post mate.

PS, also loved your story about the Cocie and Brummie. I knew him from when he moved to security at Kascades on Rose lane in 1987. Proper character.

Offline Judge Red

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #205 on: November 15, 2020, 10:26:54 am »
Maybe Terry was in town to pick up his Mum...
[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Offline flyingcod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Barry Davies: "It's the old, old story yet again."
« Reply #206 on: November 15, 2020, 02:18:10 pm »
Always wanted to go to Melwood when studying at LJMU in the mid nineties but the locals would say it's three bus rides away so drinking in the uni bar seemed easier.

Finally got there in 2006 and was nice to get some autographs off Gerrard and Fowler. Some of the players would just drive past.  Some lads started speaking Danish to Agger (not an established first-teamer then) and he invited them into his car and drove off!  Some of the people around there a were bit odd. One guy in his fifties said "I'm here every day," I said where do you live, he pointed to a house over the road.  ;D

I did say good luck for tomorrow to God as we were at home to Villa the following day.

"That's if I'm fucking playing!"   ;D ;D ;D

The Word Of God.

fc
Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt - Bill Shankly

Online PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: November 15, 2020, 05:52:24 pm »
pipa thanks for the pics, why is there a pic of joe cole and john terry though?

thanks for posting

not sure, there was no description...probably England trained in Melwood at some point?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2020, 11:54:01 am »
Anyone seen the new video the club put up? They show the league titles split as 1 premier league and 18 league titles in the new trophy room  :o

https://youtu.be/F5NO9VYwECg?t=28
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2020, 01:23:03 pm »
Anyone seen the new video the club put up? They show the league titles split as 1 premier league and 18 league titles in the new trophy room  :o

I guess it is a new competition - and a LOT was made of the fact that we'd never won it (including a LOT of our own fans)

but I'd rather see them all together as 19

re: this thread - some great memories and stories and photos on here  :)
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2020, 02:04:58 pm »

Keeps everyone grounded and hungry to make it number 2, 3, 4.....

We have not achieved as much as other teams when it comes to the 'Premiership' in its current format

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: November 17, 2020, 02:06:47 pm »
That's only for Kirkby, Anfield is still unchanged as its' got "19" with both trophies on display.