Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 838232 times)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #2480 on: April 8, 2017, 09:38:20 am »
The Underground. Which one is this? I've only ever used James Street and that bend looks a bit severe for there.

Picture from here, https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/underground-railway-liverpool-97664

Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2481 on: April 8, 2017, 10:46:20 am »

I've no idea Tsar, I rarely ever used the Underground and that bend doesn't look at all familiar to me either, I don't remeber any at all in any of the stations, but the lack of any electric rails and that steam engine would seem to indicate a portrayal of a scene before 1903 when it was all electrified.

However, it does look remarkably similar to this shot of Baker Street Underground in London from the other year when they ran a steam train through...

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2482 on: April 8, 2017, 12:11:27 pm »
Uncanny; you and the likeness!  ;)

I saw this posted on a Twitter account I follow, which is mainly paintings or the like, but oddly she often puts up train photos also.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2483 on: April 8, 2017, 12:37:01 pm »

It's a bit of a strange one Tsar.

I did check the artist out, and he seems to have painted a few scenes around town, so it's not as if he was someone who painted a fictional scene to depict an idealised Liverpool underground station, maybe based on what he was familiar, eg Baker Street.

However, I thought I'd cast my gaze over the water, and what should I find but this, Hamilton Square....

It must be from post 1903, the lines are electrified, but I wonder.....

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2484 on: April 8, 2017, 02:28:49 pm »
Another contender there Gulley, but that bend!?

He was born in Liverpool, and married there too in 1899, and seems to have moved to London, so he would probably have seen plenty of underground stations. But he was only 22 when he painted that one [1894] and still up North I think.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2485 on: April 8, 2017, 07:22:05 pm »
... but that bend!?

Here's another couple of shots from more modern times after the latest re-fit, it could be...

I can only assume Prescott may well have taken a bit of artistic licence with his painting as the platforms in it seem a bit 'busy' with lights and other stuff.

I suppose we really need a picture of it all pre-1903 to settle it either way.

Offline Super MAC

• ....and a nice pair of trousers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2486 on: April 14, 2017, 09:40:02 pm »
I've lived in Aigburth all my life (47 years) and only learnt yesterday that there used to be a railway station at Otterspool and it's still there although derelict in the main. I drive past the thing nearly everyday but it's hidden behind trees. I'm that sad I even went down there today for a look and sure enough there it was.
All governments are lying cocksuckers - Bill Hicks

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #2487 on: April 14, 2017, 10:29:05 pm »
I've lived in Aigburth all my life (47 years) and only learnt yesterday that there used to be a railway station at Otterspool and it's still there although derelict in the main. I drive past the thing nearly everyday but it's hidden behind trees. I'm that sad I even went down there today for a look and sure enough there it was.
Did you snap any pictures?
Could do a 'then and now' comparison  :)
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2488 on: April 14, 2017, 11:03:15 pm »

I grew up there also mate, that's a fabulous pic. Gulley may be able to explain the intricacies of the track and why there's changeover track in a very small station.

Love that pic.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2489 on: April 15, 2017, 01:14:06 am »
... Gulley may be able to explain the intricacies of the track and why there's changeover track in a very small station.

It's what's called a trailing point, once quite common in the past at most double track line stations under the control of a local signal box.

The general idea was it would allow the train or engine to pull just beyond it, then reverse and swap onto the other track to go in the other direction, useful for example in an emergency if the line ahead was blocked.

Often it would also be required to allow convenient shunting and bi-directional wagon movements in and out of a local goods or coal yard if there was one.

I can't find a track diagram for Otterspool so I've no idea if there was a goods siding layout, but if there was it would be behind the camera in the picture.

Since they left nothing nothing to chance and required a signalman to throw them in conjunction with deliberate but controlled engine movements under signalling, trailing points were always regarded as generally being far safer than facing points which a driver could enter at speed and if the signalman had forgotten to reset them, suddenly find himself running on the wrong track in the wrong direction and with possibly disastrous consequences.

Offline Super MAC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2490 on: April 15, 2017, 06:04:37 am »
Some pictures of how it looks now

Offline Super MAC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2491 on: April 15, 2017, 06:17:08 am »
I love stuff like this, I was looking up some information  about the original shoreline that used to be called the Cast Iron (or Cazzy) shore. The area from the end of Aigburth Rd down past Shorefields school and the nursing home used to be a beauty spot called Knotts Hole that led down to cove by where the site of the Garden Festival now is. The cliffs known as Dingle point can still be seen by the roundabout on Riverside Drive. Looks great, pity we decided to turn it into a refuse tip!

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #2492 on: April 15, 2017, 07:24:37 am »
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2493 on: April 17, 2017, 03:21:41 pm »
I love stuff like this, I was looking up some information  about the original shoreline that used to be called the Cast Iron (or Cazzy) shore. The area from the end of Aigburth Rd down past Shorefields school and the nursing home used to be a beauty spot called Knotts Hole that led down to cove by where the site of the Garden Festival now is. The cliffs known as Dingle point can still be seen by the roundabout on Riverside Drive. Looks great, pity we decided to turn it into a refuse tip!

Yeah, I looked into that once, mainly because I thought it was stupid to build an estate down on the shore. But apparently the Mersey has never flooded it - though it must have in older times, how else could the cliffs have been formed?

It was called to Cast Iron shore because of the iron works on it (which may or may not have made the frame for nearby St Michael's church), before it became the site of the Herculaneum Pottery (1794-841), which then was dug out for Herculaneum dock (1864-1972), filled in again and now has houses on it.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2494 on: April 17, 2017, 03:57:55 pm »

I can't find a track diagram for Otterspool so I've no idea if there was a goods siding layout, but if there was it would be behind the camera in the picture.

I don't know if there would have been space for anything like that, the track goes under a road just about 150m earlier and over a bridge directly after the station?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2495 on: April 17, 2017, 04:17:41 pm »

Since I posted that, I had a look at Rail Map and yes, there doesn't appear to have ever been any goods siding, so it would just be a trailing point for emergency use.

Edit correction...there was a goods siding, long lifted, between  Otterspool and what was originally called Mersey Road & Aigburth but is now just Aigburth, you can see it when you start to zoom, so it probably has something to do with that. See here.

Also mentioned in this thread on Yo.

Edit...And more...

Nice bit about the history of Otterspool here.

And on the proposed rail link to the dock bit mentionted in it, I found this here, which led to this zoomable OS map of the immediate vicinity from the 1920's which shows the sidings track layout and the embankment for the proposed link down to the dock....

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:56:56 pm by The Gulleysucker »

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2496 on: April 17, 2017, 04:54:05 pm »
Since I posted that, I had a look at Rail Map and yes, there doesn't appear to have ever been any goods siding, so it would just be a trailing point for emergency use.

Edit correction...there was a goods siding, long lifted, between  Otterspool and what was originally called Mersey Road & Aigburth but is now just Aigburth, you can see it when you start to zoom, so it probably has something to do with that. See here.

Also mentioned in this thread on Yo.

I think you can still see on google maps that the track bed is wider there, and there is something white where it would have parted - maybe still a signalling box?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2497 on: April 17, 2017, 04:57:22 pm »
I think you can still see on google maps that the track bed is wider there, and there is something white where it would have parted - maybe still a signalling box?

Just edited and added a bit more to my post above...

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2498 on: April 17, 2017, 05:06:01 pm »
Great thread! We lived in Park Road when I was a kid in the 1950s and a trip on the 82 to Otterspool was a proper day out. I used to look forward to reaching the railway bridge hoping that a train would go across it when I was underneath the bridge.

The station would have closed by then but I don't remember seeing much of a station from under the bridge.

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2499 on: April 17, 2017, 05:41:04 pm »
Great thread! We lived in Park Road when I was a kid in the 1950s and a trip on the 82 to Otterspool was a proper day out. I used to look forward to reaching the railway bridge hoping that a train would go across it when I was underneath the bridge.

The station would have closed by then but I don't remember seeing much of a station from under the bridge.

Its too the right of the bridge when you are facing the river. It's someone's house now, the road to it goes off Jericho Lane just after the entrance to the park.

Nice bit about the history of Otterspool here.

That is really interesting, thanks! I live close by and go there quite often, I have never noticed the tunnel, really tempted to go now and have a look.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2500 on: April 18, 2017, 07:39:17 am »
That is really interesting, thanks! I live close by and go there quite often, I have never noticed the tunnel, really tempted to go now and have a look.

I've chased my oldest through that tunnel many times...if I've got the right one...there's some graffiti of (I think) a big eye at the entrance.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2501 on: April 18, 2017, 08:55:47 pm »
I've chased my oldest through that tunnel many times...if I've got the right one...there's some graffiti of (I think) a big eye at the entrance.

Ah, It's half-way up the bank. I'm sure I've seen it before, but I couldn't remember it at all.

Offline Super MAC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2502 on: April 18, 2017, 10:50:54 pm »
I'm assuming that this must have been somewhere close to where the cave and the rock face is, circa 1820 AD

Offline Super MAC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2503 on: April 18, 2017, 11:06:42 pm »
The bit I find most interesting about Otterspool Park which never gets mentioned is that according to local historian Mike Royden http://www.roydenhistory.co.uk/mrlhp/local/otterspool/otters.htm, the guy who built St Anne's Church and lived in the now demolished mansion house (where the derelict cafe now stands) was a guy called a John Moss.

John Moss was a good friend a George Stephenson who built the Rocket and its claimed that whilst staying with Moss at his Otterspool residence, Stephenson laid down his prototype track and Rocket engine along what was once the riverbed there.

I've posted a picture of what the Mansion looked like, the grass field that surrounds this area was itself I believe once a culvert where the River Jericho as it was latterly called or Oklesbrok as it was originally known met the Mersey.

Offline Super MAC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2504 on: April 18, 2017, 11:12:07 pm »
John Moss by the way when he wasn't being a railway pioneer and god fearing church builder was also the owner of 1000 slaves.... go figure ....I've just bought a book about him off eBay for 1p 😂😂. Anyone who wants a read of it when I'm finished, let me know and I'll be happy to pass on.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2505 on: April 18, 2017, 11:15:19 pm »
The bit I find most interesting about Otterspool Park which never gets mentioned is that according to local historian Mike Royden http://www.roydenhistory.co.uk/mrlhp/local/otterspool/otters.htm, the guy who built St Anne's Church and lived in the now demolished mansion house (where the derelict cafe now stands) was a guy called a John Moss.

I'm on a roll name-dropping tonight  ;D  Mike was my brother-in-laws best man at my sisters wedding at St Annes Church.

Offline Super MAC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2506 on: April 18, 2017, 11:21:06 pm »
Awesome - get him on here 😂👍

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2507 on: April 18, 2017, 11:28:10 pm »
Awesome - get him on here 😂👍
He's a bad Blue :(

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2508 on: April 19, 2017, 09:04:55 am »
I was looking at the base of where Otterspool house stood yesterday. I was wondering which way round it stood, because the space there seems smaller than on that drawing. There is one set of stairs left, but they are on the far right of the platform (if looking from the river). From the other side (where the river/lake bed is), there are no stairs, but in the centre there is a part that is coming out slightly - maybe there once was? Or have they demolished half the platform?

It also seems to me that the ever-closed cafe stands where the tower in front of the house was. It even picks up a bit of the style, with the overhanging supported roof. Maybe the architect wanted to keep a reminder of the original house there?

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2509 on: April 21, 2017, 05:06:24 pm »
Mersey Road prom

Miss Walton Hall Avenue 1990..

The 'Conti's' first birthday...

1952 outside the Adelphi...

Church Street 1966...

Central Station 1968...

Newington (Behind Central Station) 1968...

Cagneys 1980..

Jimmy, Kenny, Terry...beating the Manc's in 1979...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2510 on: April 22, 2017, 12:07:56 am »
They're brilliant P, I think the Prom pic has been posted before but I could look at it for hours. From that to couple of mile long concrete structure.
I wonder of Gulley knows why and what was the strategy or is it self-evident?

The 4 lads seem to be as cocky as fuck though, it's as if they've won the local youth boxing championship and have been taken to the from for a pic without the cup.

In the Central 1968 pic, is that the lyceum so discoloured its black - whats that about Gulley?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2511 on: April 22, 2017, 01:21:44 am »

In the Central 1968 pic, is that the lyceum so discoloured its black - whats that about Gulley?

The stone on most of the old buildings around town back in the 60's used to be very blackened, discoloured from a century or more of coal fire and town gas pollution.

Lister Drive power station and Clarence dock power stations were going and constantly spewing all kinds of stuff into the atmosphere as well as all the gas and tar works like Linacre and various assorted foundries and smelting works around Vauxhall,

From what I remember the Corpy cleaned them all around the late 60's and into early 70's.

St Georges was covered in scaffolding and tarpaulins for what seemed like at least a couple of years.

When it was all finished, it was an absolute revelation to see places like St Georges, the Picton, the Walker and the Museum as when constructed.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2512 on: April 22, 2017, 08:13:10 am »
The stone on most of the old buildings around town back in the 60's used to be very blackened, discoloured from a century or more of coal fire and town gas pollution.

Lister Drive power station and Clarence dock power stations were going and constantly spewing all kinds of stuff into the atmosphere as well as all the gas and tar works like Linacre and various assorted foundries and smelting works around Vauxhall,

I remember a few buildings, including the Liver Building, being stone blasted to clean them - what a massive task. I'd guess that was late 70's. I'm surprised the Lyceum was so badly sooted though. Thanks again Gulley.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2513 on: April 22, 2017, 09:42:18 am »

I can't find any pictures of the cleaning though I do remember a short clip on Look North on TV of them doing it, and it's difficult with the old black and white photos to really see what it was like before the cleaning, but this pic from the early 50's perhaps gives a sense of just how blackened the stonework of St Georges was when I was growing up...

I think it was mainly the sandstone buildings that were most effected by the pollution.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2514 on: April 22, 2017, 09:52:03 am »
Makes good sense that Gulley. What's new?  :)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2515 on: April 22, 2017, 09:57:34 am »
From Angelcake today, worth a look

' 1941 illustrates the extent of the air defences located in sefton park & the large swathe of playing field given over to allotments for food'

https://twitter.com/angelcakephotos/status/855557159727321088
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:01:23 am by Tsar Kastik »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2516 on: April 22, 2017, 10:11:10 am »

She's got some great stuff on there.

Not a photo, but a map detail attached, I never knew there was a old quarry almost opposite Anfield.

Looking at streetview of today it's interesting to see the plot seems to have never been built on, it's some kind of playgrounds.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2517 on: April 22, 2017, 10:28:43 am »
She's got some great stuff on there.

Not a photo, but a map detail attached, I never knew there was a old quarry almost opposite Anfield.

Looking at streetview of today it's interesting to see the plot seems to have never been built on, it's some kind of playgrounds.

What's that in the football pitch size piece of  land adjacent to Goodison - oval shaped with lines radiating from it?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2518 on: April 22, 2017, 10:42:54 am »

Do you mean this attached?  It looks like some kind of a mound or possibly a depression, without contour lines it's difficult to tell..

(PS, the map is from 1890 so it's not Goodison, it's when Anfield was the Everton ground)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2519 on: April 22, 2017, 12:28:57 pm »
Sorry for the delay Gulley - attending to the wildlife.

Yes that's the one. It seems to have some kind of erection either side;strange set-up, wasn't some sort of training pitch was it? Maybe it was a sand dune for running up and down - a famous Everton tradition I believe.