Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
His stats aren't as good as Tony Hateley's were. A similar sort of player too. But Tony Hateley got 28 goals in his one and only season at Anfield. And then he was sold. Shanks knew he wasn't right for the team. Big and combative, for sure, a producer of chaos, yes, but on a different wavelength to players like St John, Thompson, Hunt and Callaghan. And no finesse.

I look at Darwin, and yes he can be effective. He's not calm in front of goal of course, but he can blam them in occasionally. He treats the ball like a hot potato sometimes, but he's extremely fast and given a bit of open space and he can outstrip a defence easily. He's an odd sort of player for Liverpool though. We've never really tried to integrate a centre forward like him into our team before. Rafa initially tried it with Dirk Kurt (much slower than Darwin but equally prone to just smashing the ball as hard as he could to goal). He soon gave up and put him on the right wing (a defensive position for Rafa). Will Slot persevere with the experiment? No idea. I rather hope he looks for another Firmino to play at 9 myself.
I really don't see the problem in handing transfers and recruitment to the DoF entirely.

The coaching team being given more responsibilities over transfers since our league title win has hardly improved us. In general, managers getting in on the act of signing their preferred players produces more duff signings than success these days. Look at Man Utd and Ten Hag, and West Ham with Moyes (whose best players have all been DoF signings).

It won’t be, anyone indicating Slot will have players pushed on to him is talking shit and has an agenda.

We’re go back to the model before Edward’s left and eventually Klopp took more responsibility, which is good because it burn Klopp out.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Last post by kop306 on Today at 11:09:49 am »
11 from 1997 minutes.

20 goals minimum should be the target

we will buy a top class forward in the summer that will get the goals next season
But he isn't scoring 19 league goals a season is he?! He has 20 league goals TOTAL between his two seasons.

The per90 stats don't work like that in reality do they? He's not playing 90mins every game, nobody does. And he's not scoring 19 league goals a season despite what the per90 stats claim, he's scoring an average of 10 goals a season.

What are we doing here? Seriously.

People are sacrificing actual factual output in favour of theoretical output and somehow claiming the high ground?

If Darwin's underlying numbers are so elite why aren't they translating to league goals? If they're so good why isn't he *actually* scoring more? If he doesn't have issues with putting the ball in the net why doesn't he have more than 9 league goals last year and 11 this? Bad luck? That's what all the analysis and incredibly detailed number crunching comes down to? Just bad luck? Not very scientific.

Could it perhaps be because, just possibly, just maybe, there are elements in his play that the numbers you're looking at aren't showing?Could it possibly be because they're interpretive but not necessarily 100% transferable to the reality of what we're actually seeing from him?
This is spot on. People bring up his numbers as if he's a 1 in 2 striker (or 28 a season in the post you quoted) but he just isn't. He's had one prolific season and it wasn't for us. Like it or not for us he's a 10/11 goal a season striker who cost us a mad amount of money. We aren't Man City, we can't afford to spend that money and not get results. We can manipulate stats however we like, if he really was a 28 goal a season, or even a 20 goal a season striker in the league, we'd still be in the race to win it.
Imagine posting that how many minutes a player is on the pitch for isn’t relevant when considering how many goals they’ve scored …. Even worse imagine actually thinking that’s a solid piece of reasoning and makes your case
I really don't see the problem in handing transfers and recruitment to the DoF entirely.

The coaching team being given more responsibilities over transfers since our league title win has hardly improved us. In general, managers getting in on the act of signing their preferred players produces more duff signings than success these days. Look at Man Utd and Ten Hag, and West Ham with Moyes (whose best players have all been DoF signings).

Am I just being weird here, surely the coach would say, I need a right winger, the crew would bugger off and find a list of say five and the manager would pick the player?

That’s obviously the very top line way of looking at it, I imagine the entire approach is done much more collaboratively.

The club will have people consistently reviewing everything: key performance metrics for each position/player; data science; fitness performance; levels in training; athleticism and many other things. We’ll keep tabs on all of this throughout a season and anecdotal input will be added from the manager and coaching staff, things like the intangibles and day to day stuff. There will come a point in each season (I imagine it’s probably just passed at the last international break) where a lot of this is evaluated and we begin to shape our summer activity. The manager might well say “I want this” but I imagine it will be much more evidence-based and the club will look to use things that are factual as well as subjective. That’s why you probably get Edwards saying “Henderson’s coming to the end” and then Klopp pushing the things like intangibles and subjective stuff. They can be very delicate situations where both sides are right. I can only imagine the data the club uses was really strong for Edwards to react as strongly as he did.

From what I’ve read/heard about how the club operates with transfers, once they’ve decided on a position to recruit for, we tend to have a score-based system with varying different metrics on, the relevant departments/people involved will have their input and try to come to a unanimous agreement on which player to move forward with. That doesn’t mean it will always be the data team or the coaching staff that make the ultimate call, but given Jurgen’s base of power has increased every year, it seems he was given more of a dominant vote on transfers than what he initially had during the peak Edwards years. If you’re to believe the social media eggs, Lijnders became more and more involved in this process and he alongside Jurgen gave the coaching staff a greater say than at any point before 2021/22.

I don’t for one minute believe that there will be a world where Slot is asking for a table and they give him a lampshade. Modern players (particularly the level we aim for) are becoming more and more demanding, they want to hear a manager’s plan for them in the side and the ambitions of the club. Slot will be important for communicating this during discussions before a player joins, so he will definitely have an input, it may just be more of a “are you on board with this?” rather than a “do you want to lead on this?” If that makes any sense.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Last post by Fabulous_aurelio on Today at 11:05:17 am »
A phenomenal player - but he can go now. I really don’t give a shit how he felt yesterday - to disrespect the man who made you in public, deliberately, is unforgivable.

Thanks Mo, but don’t let the door hit you on your arse. You can go and join the plethora of fantastic footballers who have represented this club, but have massive chips on their shoulders  :wave

Jurgen Klopp is a thousand times the man you could ever dream to be.

Get fucked.
I wouldnt exactly tell our Mo Salah to get fucked, however I do think this should be the end for him at our club.

He has been so far off the mark in recent weeks, he should understand why he is on the bench. I wouldn't expect him to be happy with it, like all elite athletes.

However, to publicly argue with our outgoing legend of a manager is so fucking petulant it's unreal.

That shit belong at other clubs, not Liverpool Football Club.

I know Klopp can be very diplomatic, and had this been at a different time in Klopp's tenure, I would fully support him privately launching a rocket at Salah.

For him to do that, to Jurgen when he is obviously feeling down as it is, and in public is a piss take from Mo.

He will forever be a club legend, but it's best to start this new era without him.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Last post by JackWard33 on Today at 11:05:04 am »
I genuinely don’t know if you people in here are on a wind up … you a) no longer like him / basically he’s dead to you and b) want him kicked out the club …. Because he lost his rag at Klopp in public

That’s your actual position - or I’m missing some nuance?
Media and Arts / Re: Only connect...
« Last post by Kenny's Jacket on Today at 11:04:59 am »
Connections
Puzzle #322
🟪🟪🟪🟪
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟦🟦🟦🟦

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10