Author Topic: The Office (American version)  (Read 74053 times)

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
Re: The Office (American version)
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2008, 09:44:44 pm »
;D

It's strange because I've seen it countless times now with people saying 'give it a shot' and while I really like Steve Carrell in it, I can't help but share the same opinion as BigDava here. It's a pale imitation. Some episodes pass me by and I think 'what the fuck am I missing?' It's a skid stain on the underpants of the sitcom world. No Brent, no Gareth, no good, no thank-you.

yeah but bar Curb thats American comedy for you, down to the sheer volume of episodes they put out in comparison to the UK, like Frasier you can get some ok episodes and that keeps you going for the classics.
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2008, 09:46:05 pm »
yeah but bar Curb thats American comedy for you, down to the sheer volume of episodes they put out in comparison to the UK, like Frasier you can get some ok episodes and that keeps you going for the classics.

Arrested Development, The Larry Sanders Show... dare I say Entourage?

I've just never been impressed with The American Office. One or two decent moments, but poor overall quality.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2008, 09:48:23 pm »
You're telling me all of them are classics every episode.
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2008, 09:51:18 pm »
You're telling me all of them are classics every episode.

Ah right, fair enough. I see what you mean now sorry. I guess we should be grateful stuff like Alan Partridge, Extras, The Office and whatever else didn't go on so long we tired of it. There are a few guilty parties from over here too though, it must be said.

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2008, 02:18:00 am »
A fucking laugh so far ;D
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline squishy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2008, 09:30:39 am »
i can't find this o the telly anymore!!! it dissapeared about a week ago - gutted

Offline constipatinator

• Kopite
« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2008, 08:48:13 pm »
Michael: I enjoy having breakfast in bed. I like waking up to the smell of bacon, sue me, and since I don't have a butler I have to do it myself. So, most nights before I go to bed, I will lay six strips of bacon out on my George Foreman Grill, then I go to sleep. When I wake up, I plug in the grill. I go back to sleep again, then I wake up to the smell of crackling bacon. It is delicious, it's good for me, it's a perfect way to start the day. Today I got up, I stepped onto the grill (shows burnt foot wrapped in bubble wrap) and it clamped down on my foot. That's it, I don't see what's so hard to believe about that.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2008, 08:41:43 am »
Season 5 - Episode 1

Just watched this yesterday.

Spoiler
Think a few of the story lines are getting stretched out a little bit too much at the moment, but it was a pretty big deal in the first show when Jim propses to Pam. The weight loss idea was good and Michael was back to his best ripping up the concert tickets ;) Looking forward to what Dwight gets up to
[close]

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: September 28, 2008, 11:48:45 am »
Series 2 and 3 are brilliant.
Series 4, erm well a few characters started to annoy me a bit.
Spoiler
Jim especially who i totally loved in the 2nd and 3rd series really started to grate on me and i thought he was a bit of a wet nelly. Him and Pam both seemed to change and i got a bit disintrested in them.
Other characters however really came into their own, Andy was brilliant and i loved watching him, Ryan the temp as the twattish boss etc.
[close]

Tired to watch a few episodes of our office again and its so odd now ebing used to the american one.
Steve Carrell is just brilliant though, love him.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2008, 01:20:23 pm »
Season 5 - Episode 1

Just watched this yesterday.

Spoiler
Think a few of the story lines are getting stretched out a little bit too much at the moment, but it was a pretty big deal in the first show when Jim propses to Pam. The weight loss idea was good and Michael was back to his best ripping up the concert tickets ;) Looking forward to what Dwight gets up to
[close]

Spoiler
I've gotta say, I'm far from the most sentimental guy, but they nailed that proposal scene.. somehow I didn't see it coming, so that made it that much more effective. Looks like this season will be continuing the relationships theme of Season 4, which makes sense when you consider that it was cut short because of the writers strike. Didn't seen the concert ticket ripping coming either, but that made me cringe rather than laugh. Andy has had some of his best moments so far in that first episode, I expect he'll play a much more prominent role this season.
[close]

All in all, very happy with that season opener. Still the best current sitcom I think, Entourage runs it close but it's been going down hill for the last couple of seasons.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2008, 03:57:22 pm »
Spoiler
I've gotta say, I'm far from the most sentimental guy, but they nailed that proposal scene.. somehow I didn't see it coming, so that made it that much more effective. Looks like this season will be continuing the relationships theme of Season 4, which makes sense when you consider that it was cut short because of the writers strike. Didn't seen the concert ticket ripping coming either, but that made me cringe rather than laugh. Andy has had some of his best moments so far in that first episode, I expect he'll play a much more prominent role this season.
[close]

All in all, very happy with that season opener. Still the best current sitcom I think, Entourage runs it close but it's been going down hill for the last couple of seasons.

Spoiler
I think the way the episode was going it was hinting more at a "break" than a proposal, so it was good. I guessed what he was doing but then girls have a 6th sense for that sort of thing.
I#m loving andy more and more with each episode i watch.
The temp cracked me up in this one too :D
[close]

Offline Operation Hennessey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #171 on: October 6, 2008, 01:25:06 pm »
Just started on this last week and am halfway through season 2 now. It's been a pleasant surprise, i steered clear of it for years for fear that it wouldn't be able to stand up alongside the originals, but have so far loved it. Dwight is tremendous, and Michael is as cringeworthy as Brent whilst being a whole other level of inept. They've done an excellent job with this.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: October 6, 2008, 01:48:20 pm »
Just started on this last week and am halfway through season 2 now. It's been a pleasant surprise, i steered clear of it for years for fear that it wouldn't be able to stand up alongside the originals, but have so far loved it. Dwight is tremendous, and Michael is as cringeworthy as Brent whilst being a whole other level of inept. They've done an excellent job with this.

Not everyone might agree with me, but I reckon this show gets better and better. Possibly still yet to reach its peak.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: October 7, 2008, 12:04:24 pm »
Not everyone might agree with me, but I reckon this show gets better and better. Possibly still yet to reach its peak.

agree with this. Some of the characters really seem to change and come into their own as the seasons go on.
Andy for example i could not stand at first, but now he's one of my favourites on the show.

Still would like to see more from Creed though, he's such a random!
Waiting for the next episode of series 5 to appear on the net still...

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: October 7, 2008, 12:18:48 pm »
agree with this. Some of the characters really seem to change and come into their own as the seasons go on.
Andy for example i could not stand at first, but now he's one of my favourites on the show.

Waiting for the next episode of series 5 to appear on the net still...

Next episode doesn't air until the 9th of October. For some reason they had their season premiere and then skipped a week.

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: October 7, 2008, 12:41:21 pm »
Next episode doesn't air until the 9th of October. For some reason they had their season premiere and then skipped a week.
Vice President debates was on its channel in the US during its slot I think
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #176 on: October 7, 2008, 12:42:16 pm »
Plus the season opener was a long one, so should tide you over ;)

I still need to watch it, started then got interrupted, will give it a view this afternoon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #177 on: October 8, 2008, 12:09:32 pm »

Him and Dwight are my favourites so far. I also love love Michael and Toby's relationship. Can't believe i left it so long to get into this.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #178 on: October 8, 2008, 12:46:29 pm »
Ahh, thanks for posting that. Ive been wondering where the hell the next episode is!
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #179 on: October 8, 2008, 03:14:22 pm »
Ahh, thanks for posting that. Ive been wondering where the hell the next episode is!
http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/

Try this. Use the filter to have just the shows you watch/download. Very useful for those of us without an American TV guide to hand.
@_michaelgill

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #180 on: October 8, 2008, 03:24:44 pm »

Spoiler
I think the way the episode was going it was hinting more at a "break" than a proposal, so it was good. I guessed what he was doing but then girls have a 6th sense for that sort of thing.
I#m loving andy more and more with each episode i watch.
The temp cracked me up in this one too :D
[close]

Spoiler
I just about got onto the proposal when he suggested where they should meet, not that we've seen that before, but just as it was so random, in the middle of nowhere, but with meaning for them both.
Thought they got the scene spot on too
[close]

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #181 on: October 8, 2008, 03:45:21 pm »

Try this. Use the filter to have just the shows you watch/download. Very useful for those of us without an American TV guide to hand.
Wow, thats spot on mate. Thanks for that ;)
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: October 9, 2008, 01:34:19 pm »

That's excellent. Thanks for that, very useful

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: October 11, 2008, 05:32:46 pm »

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2008, 08:28:09 pm »

This is the only funny thing associated with the American vresion of The Office..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Tek9EWZrTPw
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2008, 08:30:32 pm »
This is the only funny thing associated with the American vresion of The Office..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Tek9EWZrTPw

What, apart from the fact that it's actually all pretty good ::)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: October 14, 2008, 11:59:51 am »
Episode 2 wasn't great. Looks like Holly might not be around for much longer :(

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #187 on: October 14, 2008, 12:10:53 pm »
I thought it was a good laugh at loud one, especially the bit with Jim asking Andy about if he saw Battlestar Galactica......!

Offline sabbathfan

• Every Day I Like Sunday
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why So Serious?
« Reply #188 on: October 14, 2008, 12:45:01 pm »
Fucking love this show.
There is probably no GOD. Stop worrying about it and LIVE your LIFE

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2008, 01:05:25 pm »

I got that impression too, seems like her character doesn't have enougb sustainability unless Michael gets with her. Although Toby was involved less, he brought more to the show I feel.

I thought it was a good laugh at loud one, especially the bit with Jim asking Andy about if he saw Battlestar Galactica......!

Excellent, that bit.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: October 15, 2008, 05:04:27 am »
The Andy/Dwight/Angela arc of this season is the most interesting one so far. Dwight was always more of a sympathetic eccentric before this season but it seems he's took a turn for the worse.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #191 on: October 15, 2008, 09:09:59 am »
The Andy/Dwight/Angela arc of this season is the most interesting one so far. Dwight was always more of a sympathetic eccentric before this season but it seems he's took a turn for the worse.

I'm more surprised in Christian abiding women Angela.....

Do you think she likes both of them? Andy sensitivity and humanity compared to Dwights inhumanity and general twattiness

Offline Xabinator

• Legacy Fan
  • We will go to Paris.....we may even go to France
« Reply #192 on: October 15, 2008, 09:24:32 am »
I think someone mentioned earlier about the American version being too "sitcommy" or something to that effect. I couldn't agree more. The UK version just ran so smoothly, Gervais and Crook make you laugh just by looking at them, and they just make it seem so effortless.

Maybe I'm biased because I love the UK version so much but the US version just seemed to try too hard.....hard to explain what I mean. To me it just seems like a cheap, try-hard rip off.

Much like the yanks have supposedly done with our Kath and Kim.
"Sir, I may be an idiot but there is one thing that I am not - and that, sir, is an idiot" Peter Griffin

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2008, 09:30:11 am »
I think someone mentioned earlier about the American version being too "sitcommy" or something to that effect.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but the first series of the office was like for like and it didn't work as well. Because the market was cornered by Gervais. The main problem being that the office lasted 12 episodes or whatever and ended up with Gervais being fired.

With the American version going for a longer time, they couldn't do it the same otherwise you'd be asking why isn't Michael ever fired so he has to have a few redeeming features and incidents.

Having said that, it took me about four episodes of catching 5 minutes here and there of the US version to actually sit down and watch it and be converted.

Offline Xabinator

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2008, 09:46:50 am »
I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but the first series of the office was like for like and it didn't work as well. Because the market was cornered by Gervais. The main problem being that the office lasted 12 episodes or whatever and ended up with Gervais being fired.

With the American version going for a longer time, they couldn't do it the same otherwise you'd be asking why isn't Michael ever fired so he has to have a few redeeming features and incidents.

Having said that, it took me about four episodes of catching 5 minutes here and there of the US version to actually sit down and watch it and be converted.

I do have to admit........I have seen bits and pieces here and there but haven't been able to really get into it for the reasons above. Maybe if I gave it more of a chance it might grow on me too. I'v just refused to so far on principle!! Without wanting to be controversial also, I can't stand the accents in it either.
"Sir, I may be an idiot but there is one thing that I am not - and that, sir, is an idiot" Peter Griffin

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: October 15, 2008, 11:04:03 am »
I do have to admit........I have seen bits and pieces here and there but haven't been able to really get into it for the reasons above. Maybe if I gave it more of a chance it might grow on me too. I'v just refused to so far on principle!! Without wanting to be controversial also, I can't stand the accents in it either.

Weird comment, coming from a guy with a frame from an American sitcom as his avatar :P

End of the day, you just have to realise that they're two very different shows. By the end of the 3rd season, aside from the fact that they're both shows set in an office, they're barely even about the same things. The American version is becoming more and more character driven too, which I suppose you have to expect from a show that's run for as long as it has.

Offline Xabinator

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: October 16, 2008, 04:55:30 am »
Weird comment, coming from a guy with a frame from an American sitcom as his avatar :P

End of the day, you just have to realise that they're two very different shows. By the end of the 3rd season, aside from the fact that they're both shows set in an office, they're barely even about the same things. The American version is becoming more and more character driven too, which I suppose you have to expect from a show that's run for as long as it has.

Oh don't get me wrong........I have absolutely nothing against US sitcoms, have loved many of them over the last couple of decades. I just didn't think that was what the Office was meant to be. The only full episode I saw of the US version was the very first episode which was pretty much a carbon copy of the first UK episode. I think that's what turned me off and I never gave it much of a chance after that.

Fuck it, I'm gonna give it a go now!!! :)

PS. Just out of curiosity.......would the Simpsons actually be classed as a sitcom?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:57:37 am by Xabinator »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: October 16, 2008, 08:41:32 am »
Oh don't get me wrong........I have absolutely nothing against US sitcoms, have loved many of them over the last couple of decades. I just didn't think that was what the Office was meant to be. The only full episode I saw of the US version was the very first episode which was pretty much a carbon copy of the first UK episode. I think that's what turned me off and I never gave it much of a chance after that.

PS. Just out of curiosity.......would the Simpsons actually be classed as a sitcom?

I think so, the fact that it's a cartoon gives it the license to push the limits in terms of suspension of disbelief and possibly social commentary, but it's got all the elements of a sitcom right there.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #198 on: October 16, 2008, 01:01:31 pm »
The only full episode I saw of the US version was the very first episode which was pretty much a carbon copy of the first UK episode. I think that's what turned me off and I never gave it much of a chance after that.

I was the same, wasnt so keen at first as just seemed a copy of the English version just not quite as good, but the more you get in to it and stick with it you'll end up loving it. I've caught up to S5 having never seen any in about 2 weeks, seasons 2 and 3 particularly are superb, would highly recommend it to everyone.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2008, 01:37:20 pm »
Creed is brilliant. "I like 'em au naturale baby. Swing low, sweet chariots"