Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 507382 times)

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6080 on: March 28, 2024, 11:26:27 pm »
I'm fairly relaxed about this news, it's going to be a gamble, whoever we choose.  No real dead cert options out there right now and taking over at Liverpool could either swallow someone whole or turn out to be a marriage made in heaven, and that applies to all the people we're linked with.

I'm open-minded about the whole thing, and we'll get behind the manager, whoever it is.

I am no longer relaxed because now it really is clear that the options are not good at all. Our choice is Amorim who is a big risk, and then just not good whatsoever, midtable managers.

It's frankly a bleak managerial market. I truly fear of we don't win the league this year, we aren't getting near it for a long time

We gamble with a good chance of falling short, or we cash out and settle on not challenging for a while. That's it really

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6081 on: March 28, 2024, 11:29:52 pm »
Lads, I’ll be in Formby this weekend as that’s where my family are, and I usually go to the Freshie (Jurgen’s local) for a couple of pints with some mates. More than willing to get him in a headlock and beg him to stay a couple more seasons until Xabi’s ready if that’s what it takes.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6082 on: March 28, 2024, 11:31:07 pm »
I am no longer relaxed because now it really is clear that the options are not good at all. Our choice is Amorim who is a big risk, and then just not good whatsoever, midtable managers.

It's frankly a bleak managerial market. I truly fear of we don't win the league this year, we aren't getting near it for a long time

We gamble with a good chance of falling short, or we cash out and settle on not challenging for a while. That's it really

There is a manager out there who has won trophies in 5 different countries, has won a European trophy with 5 different clubs, has won 8 League titles, and is currently out of work and looking for a new job.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #6083 on: March 28, 2024, 11:31:18 pm »
How stressful can this Liverpool job be…come on Jürgen, you know you’ve made a mistake.

Online Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #6084 on: March 28, 2024, 11:31:29 pm »
I think sometimes the way we look at managers is too binary. Good/bad, when the circumstances and environment play a huge factor in a person's success. Hopefully with Edwards, Hughes and others wer'e creating exactly that. A platform for a "good" or up and coming manager to thrive.

This news is also interesting in that clearly we're not far down the process as some thought we would be considering Klopp informed people a few months ago. ( Some of it understandable given vacuum of some decision makers).

I believe Hughes was a big admirer of De Zerbi for a while? But noises are Edwards prefers Amorim?

Just goes to show maybe hanging off every word of a 5+ year old interview from Xabi doesn't count for that much. 

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6085 on: March 28, 2024, 11:32:20 pm »
There is a manager out there who has won trophies in 5 different countries, has won a European trophy with 4 different clubs, and is currently out of work and looking for a new job.

Imagine if he got his agents to sound Liverpool out. He was looking for a job, and then he found a job, and heaven knows we're miserable now.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6086 on: March 28, 2024, 11:32:28 pm »
Amorim and Nagelsmann have both won and competed in the Champions League. You can caveat their wins all whatever you like, but they’ve still done it and that has to help them if they’re to come here and compete as we expect.

De Zerbi for me is the biggest risk but he’s probably the one I know most about, have followed the closest and the one that seems to have a far greater level of respect within the game than he does on this forum or social media. He might be the biggest risk but possibly has the most potential for me. Premier league experience is also invaluable.

Got through into the knockout rounds before getting thrashed by City in 2021-22. Came third in a fairly poor CL group in 22-23 but did twat Spurs.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6087 on: March 28, 2024, 11:33:47 pm »
There is a manager out there who has won trophies in 5 different countries, has won a European trophy with 5 different clubs, has won 8 League titles, and is currently out of work and looking for a new job.

A knobhead and a dinosaur tactically. Would be a dark fucking day if he graces our football club

Offline Evil Red

• Kemlynite
« Reply #6088 on: March 28, 2024, 11:34:04 pm »
I'd bet my left nut Xabi hasn't revealed his plans to anybody yet.

Joyce doesn't know what Xabi is thinking or what could really be going on behind the scenes.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6089 on: March 28, 2024, 11:34:29 pm »
Oh fuck I just scared myself at the idea of the new Bournemouth crew in our club trying to get the gang back together with Beheaddie Howe

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6090 on: March 28, 2024, 11:35:13 pm »

Joyce doesn't know what Xabi is thinking or what could really be going on behind the scenes.

What does that matter? I doubt he wrote that story with any input from Alonso  ;)

It’s the club that’s let him run with it. 

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6091 on: March 28, 2024, 11:35:49 pm »

He's off to Madrid either 2025 or 2026

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6092 on: March 28, 2024, 11:36:19 pm »
Oh fuck I just scared myself at the idea of the new Bournemouth crew in our club trying to get the gang back together with Beheaddie Howe

What crew? A Sporting Director and a scout who would be working under our Head Scouts.  ;D

Online Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #6093 on: March 28, 2024, 11:36:20 pm »
I'm happy to be called a biased deluded fool ( in many cases), maybe because I was hoping for the romance reunion, and I'm just a bit disappointed.  But weirdly similar to Lavia, I understand the reasons but think as objectively as possibly Liverpool really could have been the making of their respective careers.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #6094 on: March 28, 2024, 11:37:07 pm »

That was the frustrating thing with Klopp announcing he was going. Really thought we were set to win it over the next couple of years with the squad that was being built under Klopp. Now it's back to another transition with another Rodgers type appointment.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6095 on: March 28, 2024, 11:37:26 pm »
What crew? A Sporting Director and a scout who would be working under our Head Scouts.  ;D

I said I scared myself, not that this was a rational reaction

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6096 on: March 28, 2024, 11:37:37 pm »

Joyce doesn’t know what Xabi is thinking. But he knows what the club are putting out as their view of the situation. Feels completely reasonable to me that there’s been discussions over the international break and we’re now briefing that Alonso won’t be the new manager. Let’s the fans down gently (well, depending on your perspective) ahead of actually appointing a new boss.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6097 on: March 28, 2024, 11:40:21 pm »

I said this the other day. A group of blokes who are Arry Redknapp disciples in getting the band back together shocker. Hopefully they can bring that bell from Fratton park and ring it every time Joe Gomez gets the ball to drown out the whoppers shouting shoot.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6098 on: March 28, 2024, 11:40:31 pm »
Sporting Lisbon's last game of the season is 19th May.

Online Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #6099 on: March 28, 2024, 11:40:47 pm »
For all the support and backing a new manager needs. I'm not sure I'd ever 100% get behind De Zerbi with that absolute mess of a goatee/beard.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6100 on: March 28, 2024, 11:41:28 pm »
That was the frustrating thing with Klopp announcing he was going. Really thought we were set to win it over the next couple of years with the squad that was being built under Klopp. Now it's back to another transition with another Rodgers type appointment.

It either ends up the perfect storm or this whole thing goes out with a wimper and we start all over again in 3 or 4 years time, and hope to find the perfect storm again like with Klopp.

Under Klopp I had no doubts this team wins the league again. Without him I hope but realistically don't think this team wins it, I don't think the managerial options are good enough to do it during this teams cycle.

Amorim may show enough promise to keep the job long term but for him to be it I think he needs maybe 4 or 5 years to grown and mature himself before he can challenge for the PL. Maybe he does it right from the get go but I don't think that's a realistic goal for him right now.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #6101 on: March 28, 2024, 11:41:42 pm »
We should go for Christian Streich. He's leaving Freiburg at the end of the season and in terms of being a great person, he's as close to Klopp as it gets. ;)

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6102 on: March 28, 2024, 11:42:09 pm »
I said this the other day. A group of blokes who are Arry Redknapp disciples in getting the band back together shocker. Hopefully they can bring that bell from Fratton park and ring it every time Joe Gomez gets the ball to drown out the whoppers shouting shoot.

Our Analytics crew aren;t from Portsmouth though, more like Harvard. ;D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6103 on: March 28, 2024, 11:42:33 pm »
Call me crazy but I would be up for Stevie over all these other names being mentioned now
You are crazy. Fortunately I see you were joking.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 11:45:36 pm by newterp »

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6104 on: March 28, 2024, 11:42:44 pm »
We should go for Christian Streich. He's leaving Freiburg at the end of the season and in terms of being a great person, he's as close to Klopp as it gets. ;)

Not necessarily tactically or achievements wise, but as a person he does seem as close as you can get in managers

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6105 on: March 28, 2024, 11:43:15 pm »
For all the support and backing a new manager needs. I'm not sure I'd ever 100% get behind De Zerbi with that absolute mess of a goatee/beard.

Well I think he is the one we end up with. Him or Frank I think

Online Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #6106 on: March 28, 2024, 11:44:48 pm »

I hope the Nivea partnership hands out some freebies then. Think Frank might be the more interesting option, despite seeming like the more unexciting option initially.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6107 on: March 28, 2024, 11:45:37 pm »

Lampard eh? The mood is really bleak in here tonight!

EDIT: Sorry, just realised you meant Thomas Frank!

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #6108 on: March 28, 2024, 11:46:27 pm »
I'm happy to be called a biased deluded fool ( in many cases), maybe because I was hoping for the romance reunion, and I'm just a bit disappointed.  But weirdly similar to Lavia, I understand the reasons but think as objectively as possibly Liverpool really could have been the making of their respective careers.

I think it's so much different for a manager in though. Let's say he done 18 months with Bayern and Real and ultimately gets the bullet before Liverpool ever come in for him. He'd probably walk out of each side with a league title under his belt which is still pretty good experience. In fact I was sort of hoping Klopp stayed until 2026 and he would go to Madrid who'd be bored with him in two years.

There's a lot of people who sound like they really believe Bayern or Real are a step down from Real Sociedad's B side and Bayer Leverkusen. They are objectively two of the biggest five clubs to ever play the sport. He could go to both and 'fail' (whatever you personally think that means) and still have a pretty great future ahead of him. Because of the job he's done with Bayer, he could even go to both of those sides (or Liverpool), fail miserably and still walk into practically every job in the world. He will almost certainly IMO be one of the managers of his day which is why it's even less surprise he wants to go and manage a Madrid side which will be one of the most star studded ever. I think no less of him either way.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Evil Red

• Kemlynite
« Reply #6109 on: March 28, 2024, 11:46:35 pm »
Fuck this, I'm going on X to call Joyce a liar for pissing on our chips.

Just kidding I'm not on X. You lot are probably right, yeah.

I just keep hearing 'doubters to believers' in my head though...

PLEASE XABI YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE!!!

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6110 on: March 28, 2024, 11:46:56 pm »
I hope the Nivea partnership hands out some freebies then. Think Frank might be the more interesting option, despite seeming like the more unexciting option initially.

He has at least shown some level of tactical flexibility from Championship to Premier League. Now it is much easier to be an attacking team in the Championship than the PL, but unlike De Zerbi he at least seems aware that you can make changes so that you DON'T get battered playing one style even when it doesn't auit

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6111 on: March 28, 2024, 11:47:18 pm »

You've really shit the bed tonight.  ;D

Online Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6112 on: March 28, 2024, 11:48:38 pm »
I think he might end up regretting that - your stock can rise just as quickly as it can fall, and I'm getting big Leicester vibes from this Leverkusen season. They'll have their best players picked off, and even if they didn't, I think the odds of them replicating this season (unbeaten, title challengers) again next year are slim

He’s been promised the Real job next year, and that’s obviously the one he wants. Him spending next season at Leverkusen is the equivalent of you and I working our notice period.  And like you and I working our notice period, all we’re really doing is looking at the calendar

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6113 on: March 28, 2024, 11:49:51 pm »
Can someone check up on Rossi. The last time I was this worried about him was when Dirk Kuyt signed a new contract.

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6114 on: March 28, 2024, 11:50:18 pm »
I can't begrudge a talented manager choosing staying at a smaller team he's elevating rather than jumping ship for a bigger club at the first opportunity. If he's got a genuine connection with Leverkusen and wants to bring them a consistent run of success, that actually makes him more like the kind of manager we'd want in the future.

Let's just get Bielsa in, have one insane rollercoaster season where we beat Man City 6-0 then lose 7-5 to Ipswich, and hope that by summer 2025 either Klopp feels well rested and fancies a return, or Alonso decides he's done all he can at Leverkusen after another domestic cup double.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6115 on: March 28, 2024, 11:50:33 pm »
Joyce doesn’t know what Xabi is thinking. But he knows what the club are putting out as their view of the situation. Feels completely reasonable to me that there’s been discussions over the international break and we’re now briefing that Alonso won’t be the new manager. Let’s the fans down gently (well, depending on your perspective) ahead of actually appointing a new boss.

The club will have been drawing up a list of candidates. Before they can go on to interviews etc they’d have to at least have confirmed interest that the manager wants to come. If he’s not shown any desire to move this early in his career then we move on and find someone who’s ready instead. It says on the Ornstein article they’ve known for some time it was unlikely he was leaving Leverkusen . This for me confirms we’re moving ahead in our process (interviews next or at least preliminary conversations) and will look to seal the appointment, at least verbally, rather soon but the announcement could be months away.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #6116 on: March 28, 2024, 11:51:28 pm »
Think I'd take Hodgson over Nagalsmann.

It would be a laugh and he'd be gone quickly.
We’d all be able to get tickets easily at least. Might even get to an away
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6117 on: March 28, 2024, 11:51:56 pm »
You've really shit the bed tonight.  ;D

The stuff around Amorim and the release clause does make it sound like it is a real issue for us, it's a real concern. We may not be willing to pay it out (the highest release clause for a manager ever iirc) for someone who isn't a sure thing.

Nagelsmann isn't even being mentioned for whatever reason (not that I am necessarily against that)

De Zerbi's name is there, and Ornstein keeps mentioning the admirers Frank has in the club.

I think Amorim goes to Chelsea or Barca as we aren't willing to pay out the release clause for someone who is a risk, and we get De Zerbi, or lesser chance Frank (still risks but for significantly less money, if any). I genuinely think that's how it will play out.

Tbf I don't think Amorim is the best thing since sliced bread either. He is the one who isn't an automatic disappointing announcement, but he isn't the standout best man in the world for the job either.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 11:54:08 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6118 on: March 28, 2024, 11:52:50 pm »
Have I missed something regarding Alonso? I have read the posts today saying it's not happening and is pretty much confirmed. Looking at the news online, all I can see is various outlets referencing each other, no quotes , no facts, just speculation. Is there a reason why this is seen as legitimate?

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6119 on: March 28, 2024, 11:53:06 pm »