Author Topic: Ballon d'or 2019  (Read 11674 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Ballon d'or 2019
« Reply #200 on: December 2, 2019, 09:11:02 pm »
Would have been nice as Van Dijk is shaping to be the defender of his generation but scoring 54 goals in a season should never get normalised and I fear it has.

Messi was the best attacker in the world by far last year. Van Dijk was the best defender.

How you split it that out is hard to say! Whichever way it goes certainly isn’t an outrage.

Basically you don't acknowledge the defending side of the game, just keep giving it to Messi. It diminishes the whole thing. As has been said just stop doing the award let him keep it, as it's pretty worthless.

"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: December 2, 2019, 09:16:54 pm »
Basically you don't acknowledge the defending side of the game, just keep giving it to Messi. It diminishes the whole thing. As has been said just stop doing the award let him keep it, as it's pretty worthless.
He's probably the best player there's ever been, it really doesn't diminish it him winning again. Annoying maybe but fair.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: December 2, 2019, 09:19:09 pm »
He's probably the best player there's ever been, it really doesn't diminish it him winning again. Annoying maybe but fair.

It does if other players having outstanding years are not getting the acknowledgement for it.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #203 on: December 2, 2019, 09:21:06 pm »

When people say to me: would you rather Van Dijk be thought of as a great player or a great winner? My answers always the same, to me, they’re not mutually exclusive.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: December 2, 2019, 09:22:06 pm »
It does if other players having outstanding years are not getting the acknowledgement for it.
They are though, Alisson 7th, Mane was 4th, Virgil 2nd, that's two players in top four without winning their respective league

Let's win the league and discuss our ballon d'or options later :)

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #205 on: December 2, 2019, 09:22:16 pm »

Alisson got acknowledged and so did VVD with his UEFA-award

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: December 2, 2019, 09:28:22 pm »
It's less about our players for me than what this trophy is all about. They had this conversation on LFCTV and there is two train of thoughts. Is it about who is the best player in the world, or is about whose performances have had the biggest influence over the season. If it's the first it's Messi, if it's the second it has to be Van Dijk for the last season. So which is it?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #207 on: December 2, 2019, 09:28:37 pm »
I think Virgil was acknowledged by coming second in the Balon d'Or.

Would have been great if he'd won but he is generally seen as the best defender around. The only other defender in the top twenty was Trent at 19.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: December 2, 2019, 09:31:25 pm »
Anyways we got the trophy that really mattered. Mane will get the next Ballon d’or

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #209 on: December 2, 2019, 09:35:05 pm »
The greatest player perhaps to ever play the game wins a top award and it’s upsetting people because he had a poor game against us. I don’t get it. The man is a genius. Wonderful footballer. Attacking flair will always catch the eye over solid defence. Just the way it is.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: December 2, 2019, 09:39:40 pm »
:lmao some of you people. Did you even see Messi play last year? Fully deserved even though I wanted Virgil to win and love him

I saw him play twice.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: December 2, 2019, 09:39:56 pm »
second year in a row he’s come up short defending a three goal lead and for his country, no way should he have won it

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ballon D'Or 2019
« Reply #212 on: December 2, 2019, 09:41:15 pm »
I'm not disappointing with having 4 of the top seven players at the Ballon D'Or.

I remember when we had Julian Dicks.
Speak for yourself.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: December 2, 2019, 09:43:34 pm »
second year in a row he’s come up short defending a three goal lead and for his country, no way should he have won it

Messi plays in defence?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: December 2, 2019, 09:46:02 pm »
Arsed.

Extra motivation.

Win PL and CL and we'll sweep all the mutual back slapping and cock sucking awards you can think of.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #215 on: December 2, 2019, 09:46:28 pm »
Why did Luka Modric win last year then?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #216 on: December 2, 2019, 09:46:48 pm »
Anyways we got the trophy that really mattered. Mane will get the next Ballon d’or

Yep. Great achievement for VVD regardless. And of course with him sitting next to Mbappe, he can let him know where Klopp will take him for an ice cream and donkey ride in Blackpool

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: December 2, 2019, 09:47:32 pm »
It wouldn't bother me if Modric hadn't won it last year.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: December 2, 2019, 09:48:02 pm »
Messi plays in defence?
no but when your team blows it two years in a row and you miss chances, plus you state that was the aim in front of the barca fans at the start of the year you don’t deserve it, probably the voters feeling guilty for having him 5th last year

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: December 2, 2019, 09:53:38 pm »
no but when your team blows it two years in a row and you miss chances, plus you state that was the aim in front of the barca fans at the start of the year you don’t deserve it, probably the voters feeling guilty for having him 5th last year

That's just being silly - what about being 7 points clear and losing the league?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: December 2, 2019, 09:57:19 pm »
The criteria for this is so weird. If they were being consistent then VVD probably should've won it this year. Usually they lean in heavily on narrative/big performances in big competitions (world cup / cl)

If this award was literally 'who is the current best player in world football' (which is what this feels like) then Messi should probably have like 8 or 9 of these. Not 6.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: December 2, 2019, 09:57:31 pm »
It wouldn't bother me if Modric hadn't won it last year.

This in a nutshell. Laughable decision really

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: December 2, 2019, 10:01:33 pm »
Messi is the best, VVD deserved second place.

The strangest choice was actually Ronald finishing third.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: December 2, 2019, 10:02:01 pm »
This in a nutshell. Laughable decision really

Nothing laughable about it, Messi is head and shoulders the best attacker in the world.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #224 on: December 2, 2019, 10:06:01 pm »
Messi is the best forward in the world.

Virgil is the best defender in the world.

Virgil must be gutted, difficult when both are 10/10.

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: December 2, 2019, 10:10:24 pm »
Nothing laughable about it, Messi is head and shoulders the best attacker in the world.

What makes his season this year so much more Balon D'Or worthy than last year though? That's why it's laughable imo. It's stupid he only finished 5th last year, it's hard to make sense of the inconsistency

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: December 2, 2019, 10:11:31 pm »

Van Dijk is the best defender in the world.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 2, 2019, 10:14:27 pm »
The criteria for this is so weird. If they were being consistent then VVD probably should've won it this year. Usually they lean in heavily on narrative/big performances in big competitions (world cup / cl)

If this award was literally 'who is the current best player in world football' (which is what this feels like) then Messi should probably have like 8 or 9 of these. Not 6.

The criteria are simple - whoever gets the most votes from selected journalists wins the prize. They choose five players in order and the players get a number of points depending on their placing. There's no point trying to make up bollocks about narrative or big performances. It's a vote and someone wins. Last year Modric had a great season and picked up a load of votes across the board. That's it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: December 2, 2019, 10:16:26 pm »
What makes his season this year so much more Balon D'Or worthy than last year though? That's why it's laughable imo. It's stupid he only finished 5th last year, it's hard to make sense of the inconsistency

It's almost 200 journalists expressing their individual opinions on different seasons of football.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 2, 2019, 10:17:06 pm »
Out of interest when is the last time a player who doesn't play for Barcelona or RM won the Ballon d'or?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: December 2, 2019, 10:18:24 pm »
Out of interest when is the last time a player who doesn't play for Barcelona or RM won the Ballon d'or?

Ronaldo, when he won it whilst playing for the Mancs.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: December 2, 2019, 10:19:38 pm »
Ronaldo, when he won it whilst playing for the Mancs.

So every year since then its either been a Barcelona or RM player?

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: December 2, 2019, 10:20:45 pm »
So every year since then its either been a Barcelona or RM player?

Yup

On another note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EAOM2mym38

;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: December 2, 2019, 10:23:32 pm »

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #234 on: December 2, 2019, 11:00:00 pm »
6 players in the top 20 in the world. Is anyone else blown away by that? I think that is awesome.
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Online Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #235 on: December 3, 2019, 12:10:41 am »
Personally, ive had it with this bs virgil is a defender nonsense. I want that man on the penalty spot all day going forward. Our whole game plan is 7 outfield players gum up the middle and press and counterpress with the sole aim of gaining possession and sending it out wide to one of the backs, and they plant one on healthyandycaroll van dyck's noggin. BOOM 

He will score 75 a season. 2 a game, like some u-8 kid too good for his age group. Then see them try and give it to messi again.  Ha. if ya cant beat em join em.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #236 on: December 3, 2019, 12:35:01 am »
Van Dijk 4 Messi 3

That's the one we'll all remember
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #237 on: December 3, 2019, 12:45:24 am »
6 players in the top 20 in the world. Is anyone else blown away by that? I think that is awesome.

I wonder if that’s ever happened before?
#JFT97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: December 3, 2019, 12:46:20 am »
I wonder if that’s ever happened before?

For us or any club in general?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #239 on: December 3, 2019, 01:11:50 am »
Messi is the best forward in the world.

Virgil is the best defender in the world.

Virgil must be gutted, difficult when both are 10/10.

Attackers always seem to be more prized than defenders. It's a bit like how the front man in the band always gets the plaudits over the bassist or drummer. Both may be 10/10, but the more flash guy gets the award.

I'm sure VVD will be disappointed, but I'm just happy we have the best defender on the planet playing for us. I'm sure VVD is also content with the fact that he has the European Cup sat in our trophy room while Messi hasn't.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.