Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1415782 times)

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #1840 on: December 30, 2018, 05:33:10 pm »
But the point remains. We dont play for draws. We didnt at the etihad last season. We didn't in rome. Klopp has said numerous times he goes out to win every game.

Nor should we this time. City can't afford many draws at home. Their away form is good, but not good enough thus far.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1841 on: December 30, 2018, 05:44:14 pm »
Rival fans are absolutely sick at the thought of us winning. Half their songs would be wiped out in one hit. They say we’ll be unbearable if we win like we should just sit back after the best part of 30 years of abuse and piss taking and not enjoy ourselves.

The line I've heard most is "We'll never hear the end of it if Liverpool win the league" and they're right, they won't. Newcastle fans came to Anfield last week and sang about Gerrard's slip. Newcastle! A club who haven't won the league title since 1926. They know we're not going to shut up about it because they know they've spent 29 years ripping the piss out of us. Clubs who don't have anything to shout about telling us we live off our history, still singing songs 4 years on about our last title challenge. They're freaking out now because they think it's going to catch up with them and IF we do win the league it really, really will.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1842 on: December 30, 2018, 06:04:30 pm »
Whoever plays as their fullbacks will have a problem against our front three.

The more I think about it the more I think Klopp will got with Henderson Fabinho and Wijnaldum, although personally I'd like to see Keita in this match.

Will Pep try to be conserative again or will he go all out and risk it all?

Sure we have chances in this match, but if we can score first it would be crucial. We were pinned deep in the 2nd leg, and at the time Klopp said to them at half-time that the attacking players need to help out and be confident and get closer so we can maintain possession.

The midfield battle will be fascinating.

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1843 on: December 30, 2018, 06:24:28 pm »
Good post mate and something I mentioned yesterday about the Newcastle game, the lads just seemed very calm and methodical. No rashness, pumping long balls, snatching at chances, just a calmness in the knowledge that the chances will come.

It will interesting to see how the next few weeks pan out if we draw or win against City and how we react after that. If we lose against City I will feel we can win the title if we react in a positive way and pick up wins again after the loss.

The reds look formidable at the moment and this feels so much more achievable than it did in 13-14.
It does feel more achievable because our defence is rock solid and so we dont need to score multiple times to win a game. The 1-0 wins give me just as much enjoyment as the batterings we've given out.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #1844 on: December 30, 2018, 06:41:56 pm »
a draw is kind of a win on Thursday
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1845 on: December 30, 2018, 06:45:16 pm »
As much as a draw wouldn't be awful, I want us to win at the Etihad. I don't care if it's an emphatic

And I want the rest of the "lesser" teams to roll over for us. To enter the pitch scared shitless and completely aware they're not going to get any points from us. I want them to feel like they've already lost before the first ball is kicked. I want them to flounder and whimper and pretty much beg for mercy, even if we have none.
I was a young supporter in the 70s and a teen in the 80s and that quote is pretty much what happened when we were in our pomp and especially when the opposition came to Anfield.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1846 on: December 30, 2018, 07:02:09 pm »
Generally, what you get in the first 19 games in points, is what you get in the second half of the season, +/- 5-6 points. I think that's the trend, anyway.

So we're on for 98/99 points right now, I reckon.
Better looking than Samie.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1847 on: December 30, 2018, 07:02:35 pm »
Thursday will see the most people ever cheering them on throughout the land and beyond. All Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton fans will be backing them.

So they'll finally have the global fanbase they always wanted.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #1848 on: December 30, 2018, 07:03:53 pm »
a draw is kind of a win on Thursday

Agreed. We have two possible results that will have us leaving their place happy. Even if they win, a 4pt lead over them going into the FA Cup games looked beyond us at the behinning of December.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1849 on: December 30, 2018, 07:03:55 pm »
Generally, what you get in the first 19 games in points, is what you get in the second half of the season, +/- 5-6 points. I think that's the trend, anyway.

As long as we get through the fucking international break unscathed through injuries. Then I'll really start to believe
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1850 on: December 30, 2018, 07:08:53 pm »
Whoever plays as their fullbacks will have a problem against our front three.

The more I think about it the more I think Klopp will got with Henderson Fabinho and Wijnaldum, although personally I'd like to see Keita in this match.

Will Pep try to be conserative again or will he go all out and risk it all?

Sure we have chances in this match, but if we can score first it would be crucial. We were pinned deep in the 2nd leg, and at the time Klopp said to them at half-time that the attacking players need to help out and be confident and get closer so we can maintain possession.

The midfield battle will be fascinating.

If Milly is fit, he starts. And I think Henderson too.  So for me I'd go with our tested and proven, though less creative, three.. with Wijnaldum.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #1851 on: December 30, 2018, 07:09:01 pm »

Do we usually improve our points tally in the second half of the season?

Offline GreenLaneRed27

• Kopite
« Reply #1852 on: December 30, 2018, 07:12:55 pm »
I would say ‘yes’..: I think we quite often improve our points tally second half of the season - especially under Klopp. I can’t remember exactly where or when but I’m sure Inread somewhere that Klopp conditions his team in pre season to be fit in the latter part of the season (the business end!)... this gives me great hope this season will end in glory!

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1853 on: December 30, 2018, 07:13:49 pm »

Yes, but this is not a normal season for us. What happens on Thursday will likely be defining.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1854 on: December 30, 2018, 07:14:35 pm »
If you offered me a draw now I'd take it, but I know we wont be playing for a draw.  And City can't play for a draw, not if they want back into this title race.

This season can turn on literally a couple of games right now, but get past City and we can breathe a little easier hopefully.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1855 on: December 30, 2018, 07:18:16 pm »
I would say ‘yes’..: I think we quite often improve our points tally second half of the season - especially under Klopp. I can’t remember exactly where or when but I’m sure Inread somewhere that Klopp conditions his team in pre season to be fit in the latter part of the season (the business end!)... this gives me great hope this season will end in glory!

Other way around. Klopp does traditional periodization, getting players fit for the first part and using rotation to make it last in the second half. This comes from having the winter break in Germany. I think there might have been some tweaks this season though.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1856 on: December 30, 2018, 07:26:15 pm »
Other way around. Klopp does traditional periodization, getting players fit for the first part and using rotation to make it last in the second half. This comes from having the winter break in Germany. I think there might have been some tweaks this season though.

I think the change in pressing will help us ensure we maintain good form for the long run, especially with injuries touch wood.

First full season, we capitulated in January and February and found form towards mid March. Last season became quite difficult once we only had 3 fit midfielders and we were advancing in Europe so we dropped points gains Stoke,West Brom and Everton, which I think otherwise we would have won had we had more options.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1857 on: December 30, 2018, 07:27:16 pm »
Yes, but this is not a normal season for us. What happens on Thursday will likely be defining.

Yep, not a normal season. Teams act differently when played under intense pressure.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1858 on: December 30, 2018, 07:28:27 pm »

I think the likes of Fabinho and Keita will come into their own in the latter stages of the season as they have been sparingly used so will be relatively fresh.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1859 on: December 30, 2018, 07:28:52 pm »
It is a massive match on Thursday but it is only 3 points.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1860 on: December 30, 2018, 07:31:21 pm »
It is a massive match on Thursday but it is only 3 points.

Psychologically huge for both teams. There is a massive difference chasing down 10 compared to chasing down 4 points, even over 17 games.

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #1861 on: December 30, 2018, 07:34:15 pm »

Starting to see how important those early 2nd gear performance 1-0 wins against Brighton and Huddersfield will be, considering we wearn’t at 100%. Now we’re just getting into top gear I can’t see us slowing down.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1862 on: December 30, 2018, 07:34:18 pm »
Psychologically huge for both teams. There is a massive difference chasing down 10 compared to chasing down 4 points, even over 17 games.

Completely.

I think most Liverpool fans would take a draw although we will go for win.

Maybe it will be cautious again.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1863 on: December 30, 2018, 07:37:27 pm »

We will win 3-1. You heard it here first.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1864 on: December 30, 2018, 07:37:35 pm »
Starting to see how important those early 2nd gear performance 1-0 wins against Brighton and Huddersfield will be, considering we wearn’t at 100%. Now we’re just getting into top gear I can’t see us slowing down.

Klopp has rotated more and has made the team run less. You'd hope this would aid the squad's recovery for the second half of the season.
The season when we were chasing down Chelsea we seriously dropped off in the second half of the season. We looked burnt out putting in so much effort in the first half of the season.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1865 on: December 30, 2018, 07:41:52 pm »

No need to guess, just go to the results comparison thread ;D

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=340617.msg16393901#msg16393901

Offline GreenLaneRed27

• Kopite
« Reply #1866 on: December 30, 2018, 07:49:04 pm »
This is interesting because with my admittedly unlearned eyes, especially at the game, I always felt the team was particularly ‘leggy’ in the opening months of this season... in fact the zip and fizz in our play has only returned in recent weeks. The apparent slowness and legginess didn’t effect results but it was certainly tangible. Perhaps this was tactical or maybe conditioning?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1867 on: December 30, 2018, 07:49:51 pm »

It’s not psychological though it’s actual - if we win on Thursday the league is all but over - that’s too big a gap
10 points is just a huge lead with 17 games left and with a team like ours that racks up wins so frequently
They could win every game from there on in (which they won’t) and we’d still have a great chance of finishing ahead of them

Offline GreenLaneRed27

• Kopite
« Reply #1868 on: December 30, 2018, 07:52:41 pm »
It’s not psychological though it’s actual - if we win on Thursday the league is all but over - that’s too big a gap
10 points is just a huge lead with 17 games left and with a team like ours that racks up wins so frequently
They could win every game from there on in (which they won’t) and we’d still have a great chance of finishing ahead of them
This post has genuinely just given me butterflies

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #1869 on: December 30, 2018, 07:58:18 pm »

normally I'd agree with you but there's a nagging fear in the back of my mind...

we have to be really careful/lucky to avoid injuries during Champions League/International Break(s). Thankfully we have a deeper squad than in recent years but still...

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1870 on: December 30, 2018, 08:09:34 pm »
normally I'd agree with you but there's a nagging fear in the back of my mind...

we have to be really careful/lucky to avoid injuries during Champions League/International Break(s). Thankfully we have a deeper squad than in recent years but still...

Sure but that’s because we’re LFC fans

If we weren’t involved and a team had a 10 point lead, with 17 games to go, was unbeaten all season and had played their main rivals home and away we’d think it was over

Offline mercurial

• Legacy Fan
  • Lost my mind, let me know if you spot it
« Reply #1871 on: December 30, 2018, 08:20:28 pm »
This post has genuinely just given me butterflies

:D Well this team is different irrespective of the result against City. In every other title challenge we had the butterflies as you rightly say. The team had it as well. It was closest in 2009 in terms of mentality but nowhere near the swagger we have today. This team is like a machine, a juggernaut rolling on crushing everyone in its path. That is a feeling I have never had before. The only game the raw emotions came out was against the blueshite. Apart from that time we are almost always playing at a very high level. More importantly doing so calmly spending only the requisite energy to get the job done.

This team can do so because they know failure and nothing can be a better teacher. It inspires confidence that we are not dependent on only 1 or 2 players, we can grind out results, we have players in depth and they know that eveey minute in every single game counts. It is a maturity we did not have before.
Kenny: "We play the way we want to play. We play to the style that suits us, no disrespect to other clubs but we don't focus on anybody else"

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1872 on: December 30, 2018, 08:28:33 pm »

10 point gap over City
9 over Spurs (maybe more if they lose or draw against Cardiff)

So really we have 14 games left(as we could afford to lose 3) and City would have to win all 17 games. 

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #1873 on: December 30, 2018, 08:32:55 pm »

101 points and a Champions League win I reckon  ;)
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #1874 on: December 30, 2018, 08:47:29 pm »
This is interesting because with my admittedly unlearned eyes, especially at the game, I always felt the team was particularly ‘leggy’ in the opening months of this season... in fact the zip and fizz in our play has only returned in recent weeks. The apparent slowness and legginess didn’t effect results but it was certainly tangible. Perhaps this was tactical or maybe conditioning?

Simon Brundish has been mentioning all season how much less we are running this season up to this month. Almost every team were outrunning us and by quite a margin too.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #1875 on: December 30, 2018, 08:49:04 pm »
10 point gap over City
9 over Spurs (maybe more if they lose or draw against Cardiff)

So really we have 14 games left(as we could afford to lose 3) and City would have to win all 17 games.

That is only a 6 point lead though if Spurs come to Anfield and win.

So yeah... it is a 9 point lead then :D  ;D
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline GreenLaneRed27

• Kopite
« Reply #1876 on: December 30, 2018, 08:49:44 pm »
Simon Brundish has been mentioning all season how much less we are running this season up to this month. Almost every team were outrunning us and by quite a margin too.
Exactly - I think this fact bodes well for the second half of the season

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1877 on: December 30, 2018, 08:52:27 pm »

:D Well this team is different irrespective of the result against City. In every other title challenge we had the butterflies as you rightly say. The team had it as well. It was closest in 2009 in terms of mentality but nowhere near the swagger we have today. This team is like a machine, a juggernaut rolling on crushing everyone in its path. That is a feeling I have never had before. The only game the raw emotions came out was against the blueshite. Apart from that time we are almost always playing at a very high level. More importantly doing so calmly spending only the requisite energy to get the job done.

This team can do so because they know failure and nothing can be a better teacher. It inspires confidence that we are not dependent on only 1 or 2 players, we can grind out results, we have players in depth and they know that eveey minute in every single game counts. It is a maturity we did not have before.

Agree completely.  Dare I say it, this feels a lot like 80s Liverpool.  Even though I have butterflies due to past experience, a part of me is expecting wins now.  That's a scary place for me to be because we've been burned before.  Thank goodness we have Klopp to keep the players grounded.

Even a 10 point lead is not unassailable - have we ever had more than a 9 point lead in our few title challenges over the years? - so we have to be guarded and not take anything for granted at all.  After Thursday City cannot directly affect our season in any way; they can only get results under their belt and hope we slip up.  We probably will drop points at some point in the season, so for us a win or draw is vital so that City can't capitalise on that moment.

That said, if City come away from Thursday without a win I can see them giving up.  They're just not grafters; for all their quality they prefer their points handed to them on a silver platter.  They're very much a show pony.

I honestly expect them to try and get one of ours sent off.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Snuffy

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1878 on: December 30, 2018, 08:53:22 pm »
I’m trying to get my head around dropping just 6 points out of 60. It’s bonkers.
Whatever happens next, golly, what a foundation has been set. It’s hard to not think too far ahead.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1879 on: December 30, 2018, 08:56:39 pm »

That said, if City come away from Thursday without a win I can see them giving up.  They're just not grafters; for all their quality they prefer their points handed to them on a silver platter.  They're very much a show pony.

To be fair, after we beat them at home in 13/14 they went on a 6 game winning run to wrap up the league.