Author Topic: City Breaks recommendations.  (Read 12250 times)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Re: City Breaks recommendations.
« Reply #40 on: June 9, 2019, 11:10:47 pm »
Carcassone.

Too many to mention though.

Bordeaux
Toulouse
Montpellier
Granada
Vilnuis
Budapest
Prague

Are all places I've connected with whilst being on the road.

« Last Edit: June 9, 2019, 11:14:58 pm by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: June 9, 2019, 11:15:56 pm »
I must not forget Rennes too.

What a delightful place that is.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2019, 01:00:13 am »
Dublin, Berlin, Amsterdam, Valencia, London, Florence.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2019, 01:06:00 am »
Dublin, Berlin, Amsterdam, Valencia, London, Florence.

Live, Been, Going in October, Been, Been, Never Been.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2019, 03:26:33 am »
"Me mam said I was autistic, I thought she meant I was good at drawin!"

"Now. I'm not going to patronise you. Patronise means TOOOO TAAAALK DOOWWWWN TOOOOO!"
''So now, she's living with a female Geoff Capes! ''

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2019, 08:23:26 am »

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2019, 11:49:46 am »
Another vote for Lisbon, cracking place.

Loads to see and do with great restaurants and a myriad of Tapas bars.  Very efficient metro for getting out and about to the outskirts of the city and a fabulous old tram system for buzzing around the old city.  As always the best way to get around and see stuff is on foot but it can be a bit hilly.

97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2019, 11:53:37 am »
Paris is fantastic. Been there several times with the missus. You can do it pretty cheaply as well and still say in the centre. Last time we went for a long weekend flights and hotel cost around £500. The key is to look at 3* hotels which are usually rated as 3* because they don`t have a bar. When you are staying in a city like Paris who uses a bar in the hotel anyway ?! As long as the bed is comfy and everything clean that is all you need.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2019, 04:27:25 pm »
Off to Prague in July, only worry with these Eastern European cities is they seem to attract pissed up stag do wankers in makinis.

Fancy Bruges as I've never been to Belgium, any reason why you have to make 2 changes just to fly there though? Seems mad there's no direct flights.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2019, 04:56:34 pm »
Off to Prague in July, only worry with these Eastern European cities is they seem to attract pissed up stag do wankers in makinis.

Get up early and see most of the sights early while the tour buses and stag-dos are in bed. The Charles Bridge is pretty much deserted before 8, but like the rest of the Old Town area chocka afterwards. See also Vienna... it's very quiet before 9am, even on a Saturday. Berlin is surprisingly similar. No-one around Brandenburg Gate around 8am or so

Was on our radar but pricey in August. I mean pricey!

Tip for anyone going to Vienna. Stay by the Hauptbahnhof. Much cheaper than the old Innere Stadt and you have easy access to the U-Bahn. They also offer a Vienna Pass that includes hop on/hop off tour, plus access to pretty much every major museum and historical site in the city, for a consolidated price with various day options

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2019, 07:28:12 pm »
We went to Palermo for a few nights at the end of April. Hands down my favourite place I've ever been to in Europe, absolutely itching to go back.

Flew from JLA and had an insane apartment with two balconies and a huge kitchen, think it worked out at just under £80.00 a night. Surprisingly cheap for food and drink, big bottles of beer were €3 and Ballaro market in particular was an absolutely boss place to sit off for an afternoon.

Some interesting fellas walking around in very expensive suits, mind ;D

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2019, 10:29:47 pm »
Paris is fantastic. Been there several times with the missus. You can do it pretty cheaply as well and still say in the centre. Last time we went for a long weekend flights and hotel cost around £500. The key is to look at 3* hotels which are usually rated as 3* because they don`t have a bar. When you are staying in a city like Paris who uses a bar in the hotel anyway ?! As long as the bed is comfy and everything clean that is all you need.

I Lived there for a bit in 2011. What a City she is  ( La Ville Lumiere ) Was based up in Menilmontant in the North West . I was lucky enough to be there during Autumn . There's a park in zee North called Buttes - Chaumont . What a parc that is .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2019, 11:08:16 am »

Fancy Bruges as I've never been to Belgium, any reason why you have to make 2 changes just to fly there though? Seems mad there's no direct flights.

Bruges is pretty small so it doesn't surprise me there is no direct flights. As Lfsea said, Belgium is tiny so you are best off getting to Brussels and then going by land. As for Bruges itself, it is lovely, but the centre (which is what everyone goes for) is tiny and can be done in a day, and is pretty much all tourists. Worth seeing, but you'd probably be better off making some time to see Brussels as well (I never saw it).

We went to Palermo for a few nights at the end of April. Hands down my favourite place I've ever been to in Europe, absolutely itching to go back.

Flew from JLA and had an insane apartment with two balconies and a huge kitchen, think it worked out at just under £80.00 a night. Surprisingly cheap for food and drink, big bottles of beer were €3 and Ballaro market in particular was an absolutely boss place to sit off for an afternoon.

[/quote

I'd second Palermo, or anywhere else in Sicily for that matter. Really interesting place. Catania and Syracusa are also really nice, as is the old town in Tripani.

Well worth seeing the catacombs in Palermo. They were freaky (and you can see where kids have spray painted the tops of some of the skulls through the grids on the street).

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2019, 12:43:17 pm »
Just back from a short break to Venice. Spectacularly beautiful with magnificent views at every turn. I'd opted against going in the past, put off by tales of tourist overload and those tourists being routinely fleeced. However, in reality if you visit the major sights - San Marco & Realto - early morning or in the evening you can easily avoid the day trippers. Get off the beaten track and you can walk along canals largely empty apart from a few locals. Eat & drink in the local bars along the canals or in small squares & enjoy beers & wine for as little as 1 euro and chicceti (Italian equivalent of tapas) for next to nothing. I'm already making plans to go back.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2019, 01:13:13 pm »
Just back from a short break to Venice.
You weren't driving a big boat were you? Is your insurance up to date? ;)

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2019, 02:20:00 pm »
Tip for anyone going to Vienna. Stay by the Hauptbahnhof. Much cheaper than the old Innere Stadt and you have easy access to the U-Bahn. They also offer a Vienna Pass that includes hop on/hop off tour, plus access to pretty much every major museum and historical site in the city, for a consolidated price with various day options

Vienna isn't that big anyway and it's easy enough getting around by U-Bahn or tramway. Lot's of places are even walkable. Would never stay in "Innere Stadt" as it's a rip off. If you stay in the districst around it you can get to most touristy places without much of a problem. Hauptbahnhof is a good shout. In terms of districts you're looking at everything from the 2nd to the 9th and you'll be more or less fine, even though some of them are quite big and depending on which end you stay, it'll be a longer way to the city centre. Just have a quick look at a map to make sure you're not trying to book at a place that's in the middle of nowhere...

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2019, 02:56:11 pm »

Sounds decent that.  I was going to go away with the wife for my 50th - always wanted to hit Florence.  However she's flying off to Toronto on the morning of my 50th so i'll take the mistress down the Premier Inn instead!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2019, 03:07:16 pm »
Sounds decent that.  I was going to go away with the wife for my 50th - always wanted to hit Florence.  However she's flying off to Toronto on the morning of my 50th so i'll take the mistress down the Premier Inn instead!

She off to visit those Wolfpack boys again?

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2019, 03:55:52 pm »
I Lived there for a bit in 2011. What a City she is  ( La Ville Lumiere ) Was based up in Menilmontant in the North West . I was lucky enough to be there during Autumn . There's a park in zee North called Buttes - Chaumont . What a parc that is .

My Mrs would happily divorce me and marry you if you lived there now. She is not easily impressed with anything, rarely shows emotion (actually, is she a psycho ?!) but when we have to leave Paris I practically have to drag her to the plane. She adores the place.

Some beautiful parks and the different areas are fantastic to explore. I have always been particularly taken with the streets around montmatre
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2019, 09:47:27 pm »
The obvious pick is Rome. Colosseum and the Vatican museum is worth a trip, even if you forget everything else the city has to offer.

I like Vienna too.

Tallinn is a good shout.

But I'll offer something else - Narvik. You could pick any city near the Arctic circle. At this time of the year you get the midnight sun. Can't experience that in too many places on the globe.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2019, 10:27:53 pm »
I like Vienna too.
This means nothing to me.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2019, 11:45:46 pm »
This means nothing to me.

Second part of the first movie.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2019, 12:29:54 pm »
You weren't driving a big boat were you? Is your insurance up to date? ;)

......momentary lapse of concentration and everyone's on my case, Jeez. They're difficult things to park you know, especially holding an Aperol Spritz. 

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2019, 06:21:26 pm »
Leaning towards Lisbon for next year.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2019, 06:22:29 pm »
Leaning towards Lisbon for next year.
Wait, what? If you're leaning towards anywhere surely it should be a short break in Pisa!?! :o

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2019, 06:26:06 pm »
Wait, what? If you're leaning towards anywhere surely it should be a short break in Pisa!?! :o

Thats a good call that, Amsterdam in October so next year ............
Y.N.W.A.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2019, 07:11:03 pm »

Towering intellect underpinned that suggestion...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2019, 07:56:07 pm »
Venice Sarge, if you haven't been . It's completely unique. 

Also, if you do your research beforehand, it's nowhere near as expensive as some would have you think. Exactly the opposite actually, relatively speaking.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2019, 08:03:15 pm »
Venice Sarge, if you haven't been . It's completely unique. 

Also, if you do your research beforehand, it's nowhere near as expensive as some would have you think. Exactly the opposite actually, relatively speaking.

Done Venice, Verona and Lake Garda last Summer.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2019, 08:06:31 pm »
Towering intellect underpinned that suggestion...
Altogether now..........

"ALL WE ARE SAYING IS GIVE PISA CHANCE!!!!!!" :D

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2019, 08:52:35 pm »
Altogether now..........

md1" border="0

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2019, 09:37:18 pm »
Altogether now..........

Y.N.W.A.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2019, 01:42:35 am »
Florence and Rome are both fantastic cities, especially if you are into history or art. Some of the architecture is truly breathtaking, and the food scene in each is great too, if a little pricy.

Berlin was a revelation - surprisingly cheap, world class museums (and ale!) and great public transport to help get around this surprisingly spread out and uncrowded city.

Budapest was fantastic -spas are brilliant, architecture amazing, food is boss and it’s all dirt cheap. The ruin bars are worth the visit on their own.

NYC is a bit passé now, but I’ve been 4 times and loved it every time. So much to see, so much energy and it’s like a living film set. Love the place.

Prague was great, but not sure how much we’d have liked it if we weren’t being shown round by people who lived there. We didn’t see a single stag do or hen night although there were loads around. The local pubs we were in were fantastically cheap and fantastically good.

other places I’ve visited and enjoyed, but don’t know so well are Cadiz, Lisbon, Vigo, Nice, And Pisa. all thoroughly enjoyable visits and all worth a go.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2019, 12:55:07 pm »
My recomendation is don't do city breaks..mass tourism is changing the very fabric of these great cities...where councils are facilitating the city's for tourists over residents...meaning city centres no longer belong to residents..shops change for tourists cliches to create a false ' identity' of what the city's culutre is like..but much worse is rise of Air BnB raising housing costs for locals.

It begs the question what are you getting from an environment populated by tourists rather than locals?

Its a double edged sword tourist  revenue v tourist impact..but these financial  benefits are now being challenged by city's and local community's in places like Barcelona Amsterdam Venice etc are beginning to question ' the cost'.

Btw I'm not just talking about stag/hen parties ( as fucking awful as they are)...but the mass numbers of middle aged tourists who can have a sheep mentality and feed to tourist machine.

It is complex issue...but I've made my mind up not to becoming part of the problem....there are cities I would love to revisit..Rome..Prague..Budapest...but why.. to sit in Starbucks...or pay over hyped prices in ' rated' cafes....my advice go off line take a chance visit some where tourists don't go...but in the day of trip adviser Im not sure if possible.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:24:07 pm by FlashingBlade »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2019, 01:21:08 pm »
Walsall it is then
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2019, 01:25:31 pm »
My recomendation is don't do city breaks..mass tourism is changing the very fabric of these great cities...where councils are facilitating the city's for tourists over residents...meaning city centres no longer belong to residents..shops change for tourists cliches to create a false ' identity' of what the city's culutre is like..but much worse is rise of Air BnB raising housing costs for locals.

It begs the question what are you getting from an environment populated by tourists rather than locals?

Its a double edged sword tourist  revenue v tourist impact..but these financial  benefits are now being challenged by city's and local community's in places like Barcelona Amsterdam Venice etc are beginning to question ' the cost'.

Btw I'm not just talking about stag/hen parties ( as fucking awful as they are)...but the mass numbers of middle aged tourists who can have a sheep mentality and feed to tourist machine.

It is complex issue...but I've made my mind up not to becoming part of the problem....there are cities I would love to revisit..Rome..Prague..Budapest...but why.. to sit in Starbucks...or pay over hyped prices in ' rated' cafes....my advice go off line take a chance visit some where tourists don't go...but in the day of trip adviser Im not sure if

Well now...that’s cheered me up 🤔

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2019, 01:26:38 pm »

my advice go off line take a chance visit some where tourists don't go...but in the day of trip adviser Im not sure if possible.

Spot on advice in my opinion. Never understood why anyone would chose to go anywhere abroad that is filled with Brits. Even stranger going to English cafes/ bars/ restaurants when abroad.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2019, 01:29:54 pm »
Well now...that’s cheered me up 🤔

Maybe take a city break get away from it all...forget about all those uncomfortable issues...

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2019, 04:37:19 pm »
@FlashingBlade

I agree with a lot of that, but I think it also depends on the city and what you do in said city.

It definitely true though that some places have been completely ravaged by mass tourism, to the extent where city centres are basically a no-go if you are a local (or else are living there or there for any reason other then sight-seeing).

I will be moving to Barcelona in October, and have been a frequenter there for the last nine months (long-distance relationship). The difference between the area my girlfriend lives, and the area around El Gotico and La Rambla is ridiculous, to the extent where English is the language of communication around the centre and you can't walk anywhere fast for the packs of tourists. My English mate was living around there for a while, and said it was terrible because everyone thought he was a tourist and so spoke to him in English (despite him wanting to learn Spanish) and he had to side-step street vendors trying to hawk him souvenirs and people trying to sell him weed just to get to his front door. I have been there only a handful of occasions since my first visit to the city (both times aiming for a specific bar or venue). I would never step foot there otherwise because it's a nightmare. God knows how the locals must feel. And a massive shame too because it really is one of the most beautiful and interesting areas of the city.

Saying all that, despite the hordes of tourists around the centre and Passieg de Gracia, there is loads of places outside of there in which there still remains a solid sense of local identity and you can spend the day barely seeing a tourist and not being spoken to in English once. The tourists are very concentrated, and luckily (?) most don't have the imagination to step off the beaten path.

Air BnB and rent prices are different matter altogether though. That really is having a massive negative impact on anyone local, tourist area or not.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2019, 04:53:53 pm »
AirBnB is destroying Edinburgh for residents. The centre has become almost entirely short term lets and has ruined communities in the old town particularly as tenants are kicked out to turn flats into Airbnb's.

It has become impossible to find accomodation at reasonable rent without going way out to the suburbs.

The council are looking to bring in a tourist tax which I think will be £1 or £2 a night levied by Airbnb or the hotel etc which might help a bit (more by using the funds raised on infrastructure/housing etc).