Author Topic: Wrexham FC  (Read 49175 times)

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Wrexham FC
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2022, 08:51:36 am »
I went to their game v Maidstone last Saturday.  Really good Atmosphere and improvements to the ground since my last visit.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2022, 09:05:05 am »
Watched the first two episodes of their documentary on Disney+. Decent.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2022, 09:06:05 am »
Didn't realise Rob and Ryan didn't know each other beforehand and find it amazing they didn't meet until after they acquired the club - I always assumed they were close friends! Wish they'd covered how exactly Rob approached Ryan and the initial conversations they had about it.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2022, 09:08:28 am »
Yeah, how do even go about asking someone you hardly know and have never met in person to invest in a non-league football club with them?
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2022, 09:24:57 am »
Didn't realise Rob and Ryan didn't know each other beforehand and find it amazing they didn't meet until after they acquired the club - I always assumed they were close friends! Wish they'd covered how exactly Rob approached Ryan and the initial conversations they had about it.
Yeah, how do even go about asking someone you hardly know and have never met in person to invest in a non-league football club with them?
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 09:37:13 am by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2022, 09:27:44 am »
Any need for that at all?...*shudders*

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2022, 09:37:28 am »
Now spoilered ;)
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2022, 09:38:35 am »
One hell of a nasty surprise for anyone who opens that. ;D

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2022, 10:44:47 am »
Seems a weird story in a way. Reynolds is an Always Sunny fan and after seeing Rob’s dance as Mac (the ballet coming out scene) he DM’d him to say how much he loved it and sent Rob a case of Aviation Gin. They then became really good friends (as much as you can be when you’ve never met someone I assume) and spoke about everything and anything. Reynolds multiple times had mentioned investing in sports, looking at minor league baseball teams and potential new MLS franchises.

McElhenney had on his staff for Mythic Quest an English writer who loved football. Rob got really wrapped up in it over time after not understanding it and said watching Liverpool overturn Barcelona was the greatest non-Eagles buzz he’d ever had watching sports. The writer then started to mention how the promotion and relegation system worked and approached Rob with some teams that could potentially be huge investment opportunities (including Plymouth and Bradford), before landing on Wrexham. Rob put two and two together and contacted Reynolds who is worth crazy money. So they did know each other well, but in the way you can know someone online well. They’d always planned to meet but the pandemic got in the way.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2022, 11:27:14 am »
Ah, o.k. Interesting.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #210 on: August 27, 2022, 08:00:23 pm »
As a born and bred Wrexhamian, I’d love to see a team on the pitch that have echos of past Wrexham teams - there were some terrific teams that played football unusually refined for a lower division side. Indeed, there were terrific cup runs - domestic and European, where Wrexham went toe to toe with teams from higher echelons, and prompted Terry Venables, after a League cup victory versus Spurs in 1976, to declare them the best lower division team he’d ever watched.

I’ve watched enough of this current team to know that’s not a fitting description. They are hot favourites to top the table at the season’s end, and they might well achieve that. However they’re a hard watch, and as with much of the National league squads, stuffed with grizzled old pros who can cope with the rough and tumble, and the high value placed on aerial dominance.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #211 on: August 27, 2022, 08:16:56 pm »
Really should change the title of this topic to Wrexham AFC out of respect for that club since they've had that name for 158 years, so if a mod is reading please consider it :wave
Linudden.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: August 27, 2022, 08:35:30 pm »
Really should change the title of this topic to Wrexham AFC out of respect for that club since they've had that name for 158 years, so if a mod is reading please consider it :wave

:puke2
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2022, 09:04:46 pm »
Linudden.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #214 on: September 5, 2022, 09:45:07 pm »
This is very interesting watching if you know what comes next…

So far I actually find both of them very likeable and sensibly conscious of their own incompetence in this specific area. The one thing I do question is Rob’s use of his writer mate who is essentially just an intelligent fan who equally seems to know very little but seems very embedded in the running of the club.

Fast forward to present day and Wrexham have 4 wins in a row since their loss away to Chesterfield, including scoring 16 in those four games. Paul Mullin has been up to his old tricks with 5 in 7 so far, but Ollie Palmer (not as good a player as Mullin in league football) is keeping pace with the same record.

One way to go up is to buy two League One quality strikers.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: September 5, 2022, 09:58:00 pm »
I dunno I feel like the writer guy is being used as a good bridge between those very knowledgeable about the game/club and the owners. Someone that can present things back to Rob and Ryan in a way that they'll understand.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 5, 2022, 10:05:34 pm »
I dunno I feel like the writer guy is being used as a good bridge between those very knowledgeable about the game/club and the owners. Someone that can present things back to Rob and Ryan in a way that they'll understand.

Yeah that was my understanding of his role too. They want someone they can trust to relay information back to them.

Would be great for North Wales to have a team back in the football league. They have had plans accepted to renovate the Kop to a 5500 seater stand which I think will take the capacity up to about 16k. The oldest international football stadium in the world may well host some internationals in the future. Would be great to have Wales play a friendly or even a qualifier that isn’t right down the south of the country.

YouTube vid here, sorry not sure how to embed if someone wants to do the honours.

https://youtu.be/NChQbENhk8c
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: September 5, 2022, 10:27:18 pm »
Yeah that was my understanding of his role too. They want someone they can trust to relay information back to them.

Would be great for North Wales to have a team back in the football league. They have had plans accepted to renovate the Kop to a 5500 seater stand which I think will take the capacity up to about 16k. The oldest international football stadium in the world may well host some internationals in the future. Would be great to have Wales play a friendly or even a qualifier that isn’t right down the south of the country.

YouTube vid here, sorry not sure how to embed if someone wants to do the honours.

https://youtu.be/NChQbENhk8c

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267540.msg8407364#msg8407364

Replace the zeros with the video's code  (NChQbENhk8c). Size is also variable.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NChQbENhk8c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NChQbENhk8c</a>

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: September 6, 2022, 08:44:25 pm »
Thought someone might like this, Kenny's first hat trick for Liverpool against Wrexham back in 78.

https://twitter.com/1968Tv/status/1567234848917524481?t=HRqNvxeDJlOh3hBvb1LIkw&s=19

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #219 on: September 6, 2022, 08:51:44 pm »
Seen the first 4 episodes and it's really interesting stuff, it's almost like a Football Manager save where you pick up a lower league team and try to take them up the leagues.

I'm a little iffy on it, though.  It's not sports washing, but it's not that far removed from that.  Getting sponsored by global brands like Tik Tok and Reynold's Gin company, having a documentary on Disney +, getting all this publicity off the back of a couple of super famous owners.  I'm sure they've injected tonnes of cash in too.

Just feels incredibly unfair on the rest of the teams in the league.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 6, 2022, 09:24:26 pm »
Seen the first 4 episodes and it's really interesting stuff, it's almost like a Football Manager save where you pick up a lower league team and try to take them up the leagues.

I'm a little iffy on it, though.  It's not sports washing, but it's not that far removed from that.  Getting sponsored by global brands like Tik Tok and Reynold's Gin company, having a documentary on Disney +, getting all this publicity off the back of a couple of super famous owners.  I'm sure they've injected tonnes of cash in too.

Its not sports washing youre right, Rob has already gone on record as saying the main motive is to make money.  Tik Tok Expedia Eetc will get on board due to the owners having the Hollywood influence.  Far removed from the sponsorship and false accounting of a  certain PL club exposed by Die Spiegel. 

It will be interesting to see if they are breaking any FFP rules. 
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #221 on: September 6, 2022, 09:39:36 pm »
Its not sports washing youre right, Rob has already gone on record as saying the main motive is to make money.  Tik Tok Expedia Eetc will get on board due to the owners having the Hollywood influence.  Far removed from the sponsorship and false accounting of a  certain PL club exposed by Die Spiegel. 

It will be interesting to see if they are breaking any FFP rules.

They've been throwing money about like Salford did at that level. Difference is though Salford have gates of 2000, Wrexham are regularly getting 8-10 thousand home crowds and will have a good income all told with sponsorships which will be through fully external companies.

I don't think FFP applies in non league anyway but does in EFL, much to Gary Neville's annoyance as it's stopped Salford merely buying their way out of League Two.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 7, 2022, 09:36:55 am »

Sports washing is about using a football team to improve the reputation of a country with an awful human rights record.  Unless Ryan Reynolds has been murdering journalists on the side, that's not what this is about.

As for famous people using their influence to secure sponsorships and move the club up that way, is it so bad?  Pretty much the only other way to move up the leagues is to get a sugar daddy, I'd much prefer what they're doing. 

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #223 on: September 7, 2022, 09:39:08 am »
Sports washing is about using a football team to improve the reputation of a country with an awful human rights record.  Unless Ryan Reynolds has been murdering journalists on the side, that's not what this is about.

As for famous people using their influence to secure sponsorships and move the club up that way, is it so bad?  Pretty much the only other way to move up the leagues is to get a sugar daddy, I'd much prefer what they're doing. 

I said it's not sports washing.  I just think it's incredibly unfair on all the other clubs at that level who are battling to get promoted.  No other clubs anywhere near that level will be getting sponsored by Expedia and Tik Tok.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: September 7, 2022, 09:50:39 am »
I said it's not sports washing.  I just think it's incredibly unfair on all the other clubs at that level who are battling to get promoted.  No other clubs anywhere near that level will be getting sponsored by Expedia and Tik Tok.

I actually think Stockport outspent Wrexham. They got a new owner, who after the purchase, then pumped in £8m, massive for a non league team. I won't spoiler the end of this series with where they finished, but most people on here probably know.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #225 on: September 7, 2022, 09:51:16 am »
I actually think Stockport outspent Wrexham. They got a new owner, who after the purchase, then pumped in £8m, massive for a non league team. I won't spoiler the end of this series with where they finished, but most people on here probably know.

I've no idea how it all goes, which is making it a much more interesting watch for me.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 7, 2022, 11:46:45 am »
I get what you mean, and my local team is stuck in that league and I'd love to see them promoted, but I just don't think it's possible unless someone turns up and pumps money into the club.  Football is not really a meritocracy in that respect.

It happens every couple of years that someone buys a non league club as a bit of an experiment, Billericay for example.  It would be quite funny if this ends in the same way; a load of faded Premier League stars watching a coked up Ryan Reynolds constantly sacking and re-hiring himself as manager while they slide down the pyramid.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #227 on: September 7, 2022, 02:06:28 pm »
Seems a weird story in a way. Reynolds is an Always Sunny fan and after seeing Rob’s dance as Mac (the ballet coming out scene) he DM’d him to say how much he loved it and sent Rob a case of Aviation Gin. They then became really good friends (as much as you can be when you’ve never met someone I assume) and spoke about everything and anything. Reynolds multiple times had mentioned investing in sports, looking at minor league baseball teams and potential new MLS franchises.

McElhenney had on his staff for Mythic Quest an English writer who loved football. Rob got really wrapped up in it over time after not understanding it and said watching Liverpool overturn Barcelona was the greatest non-Eagles buzz he’d ever had watching sports. The writer then started to mention how the promotion and relegation system worked and approached Rob with some teams that could potentially be huge investment opportunities (including Plymouth and Bradford), before landing on Wrexham. Rob put two and two together and contacted Reynolds who is worth crazy money. So they did know each other well, but in the way you can know someone online well. They’d always planned to meet but the pandemic got in the way.

Cheers for that - knew most of it but not the whole friendship angle or the Liverpool thing.

For anyone interested, both Rob and Ryan have been guests on Smartless (comedy podcast with Sean Hayes, Jason Bateman, Will Arnett) - two different episodes, so an episode each, and give a decent insight into all of this too. As well as talking about their careers and stuff.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #228 on: September 7, 2022, 02:07:26 pm »
Enjoyed the episodes so far. I did get the impression they kind of know it's a long-term thing, whether it's not make money or not it's not a promotion to the league above every season until they hit the PL. It could take decades.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #229 on: September 7, 2022, 03:55:49 pm »
Thought someone might like this, Kenny's first hat trick for Liverpool against Wrexham back in 78.

https://twitter.com/1968Tv/status/1567234848917524481?t=HRqNvxeDJlOh3hBvb1LIkw&s=19
Was at that match as a fresh-faced 19-year-old.
The pitches back then really sorted the men out from the boys.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #230 on: September 7, 2022, 04:33:07 pm »
Was at that match as a fresh-faced 19-year-old.
The pitches back then really sorted the men out from the boys.

Yeah I went to that as well. Finished work at Skelly’s Ford World in Bootle about 5 and got picked up by the mates. Pitch is a picture isn’t it 😂

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #231 on: September 10, 2022, 11:52:36 am »

This happens all over the footballing world. Lesley Bamberger is a Dutch billionaire who owns Almere City, who have never been in the Eredivise but being in the Amsterdam area you'd think they'll stay there once they go up. Nigerian billionaire Kunle Soname owns Feirense which is near Porto.

If I had the money I'd buy Charlton, as South London doesn't have a top team, they're in League One so value wouldn't be too high, and their academy still produces some top-tier level players (Shelvey, Aribo, Gomez, Lookman from the top of my head). Anyway!

I am really enjoying this series. The actual football is really low down on the list of interesting things in it. Seeing Paul Mullin with his 3 bedroom house and then a flatshare with 5 other squad players living wall to wall with each other, all the disabled volunteers, Rob and Ryan being taught about the growth-length of roots in their turf, and Humphrey bumbling about from one meeting to the next and being laughed out of the door each time...

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #232 on: September 10, 2022, 11:58:31 am »

Offline SK8 Red

• A spanking! A spanking!
  • Main Stander
  • Supporting since 1983 at a guess
« Reply #233 on: September 10, 2022, 12:03:38 pm »
Stockport's local owner has spent what wasn't spent over the previous 14 years on wages and stadium improvements and ensuring it's sustainable without him. And it's giving the town an attractive football club to follow rather than a sports washing project 7 miles down the road

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #234 on: September 10, 2022, 01:51:33 pm »

I was at that game,went with my brother,who was a Wrexham fan so was in the middle of the Wrexham fans, I went crazy when Kenny scored and wasn't alone...

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 10, 2022, 01:55:33 pm »
Anyone that is saying it is unfair on the other teams obviously don't know the history of Wrexham.

Episode 5 & 6 will give you some insight of why Wrexham deserve a break for once.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #236 on: September 10, 2022, 02:13:33 pm »
Anyone that is saying it is unfair on the other teams obviously don't know the history of Wrexham.

Episode 5 & 6 will give you some insight of why Wrexham deserve a break for once.

Yeah 5 and 6 changed my mind a slight bit about it all. I actually had turned against it a little from the first 4 episodes.

Really like the Eagles coloured away jersey though! Shame it's last seasons and they're gone haha.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 10, 2022, 02:23:31 pm »
Yeah 5 and 6 changed my mind a slight bit about it all. I actually had turned against it a little from the first 4 episodes.

Really like the Eagles coloured away jersey though! Shame it's last seasons and they're gone haha.
This season's away strip is the colour on the background of Wrexham Lager Logo, which has also recently made a come back with a new brewery starting up.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #238 on: September 10, 2022, 03:37:33 pm »

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: September 10, 2022, 04:24:04 pm »
Stockport's local owner has spent what wasn't spent over the previous 14 years on wages and stadium improvements and ensuring it's sustainable without him. And it's giving the town an attractive football club to follow rather than a sports washing project 7 miles down the road

I didn't say he hadn't done any of that or that it was sports washing.
But i am pretty sure they did outspend Wrexham.