Author Topic: The world froze, you stopped breathing for a split second - misses by opponents  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
I'll get Dudek out of the way for that bizarre, instinctive hand-flick from Shevchenko following up his header in Istanbul, but for me.....

Gudjohnssen (sp?) in the dying seconds at home in front of The Kop v Chelsea that night. I stopped breathing.

Any to add?
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Stevo

• Not unique in his worship of Erik Meijer
  • Legacy Fan
There can’t be any more heart stopping than Gudjohnsen. Even when I see replays I’m convinced he’s going to score.

It would have been utter devastation.

It didn’t matter in the end as we lost the final but it would have spoiled an amazing night: Reus went so close with a last gasp free kick for Dortmund after Lovren’s goal, looked a goal all the way.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan

It didn’t matter in the end as we lost the final....

Eh???

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
....Reus went so close with a last gasp free kick for Dortmund after Lovren’s goal, looked a goal all the way.

Thought that was in myself. I was there. Good one.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Think Gundogan took that free kick for Dortmund.

Not quite the same high stakes but in that 4-3 win over City when we’d been 4-1 up, Acheron headed one into the side netting from a free kick in injury time. Would have been pretty sickening not to have won that one, and at first I thought it was in.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Another shout for Gudjohnsen. So many emotions across a 3 or 4 second period of time.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
Joe Cole missed an absolute sitter in stoppage time of the 2006 FA Cup semi final against Chelsea.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
Yeah Gudjohnsen was heart-stopping alright - not quite as health impacting as that, but Haaland's miss in charity shield, ha !

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
Every time I watch a replay of that Eidur Gudjohnsen chance from that night at Anfield in May 2005, I think he's going to score. How different things would have been if had.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Dembele 1 v 1 against Alisson?

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
That Sissoko miss for Spurs at Anfield in 2018/19 when it was 2 on 1 from our corner. OK it was good defending by Van Dijk but time stood still. Was convinced he was scoring.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The obvious one is Gudjohnsen.

There's one I have in my head that I think must have been en route to Athens (2007). Was at the Emirates and with the front rows being beneath the pitch, I was almost head-level with the moment. Arsenal looked certain to score but it somehow didn't go in. Think it might have been accidentally bloked by Niklas Bendtner

It was April 2008 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ei68g
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 01:13:23 am by classycarra »

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
Just thought of another. Marlon Harewood, who could barely stand, limply swiping at a gaping goal, late on in the 2006 FA Cup Final v West Ham.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
Funny that I saw the first few words of the thread title and thought Gudjohnsen

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
Don't think anything beats Gudjohnsen in this category.

In terms of miracle saves, Henchoz pulled off a few in the 2001 FA Cup final. :)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Don't think anything beats Gudjohnsen in this category.

In terms of miracle saves, Henchoz pulled off a few in the 2001 FA Cup final. :)

The Dudek double for me.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline MH41

• Kopite
It's just a pity my answer wasn't Michael Thomas in 1989... :-\

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Eh???

He means the final in Basel that followed on from the Dortmund game. It's a shame the game gets a bit forgotten about because we went on to lose the final but that Dortmund game is one of the best I've ever been at.

This is a good one, proper heart in mouth moment and who knows how future seasons might have been affected.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Stevo

• Not unique in his worship of Erik Meijer
  • Legacy Fan
He means the final in Basel that followed on from the Dortmund game. It's a shame the game gets a bit forgotten about because we went on to lose the final but that Dortmund game is one of the best I've ever been at.

Yea, had we won the final the Dortmund game would get talked about even more. That late moment would have seemed even more pivotal had we gone on to lift the trophy.

Thinking back to the 2001 UEFA cup run, I remember Westerveld completely missing a back pass and the ball running beneath his foot - either against Roma or Barca. The pass wasn’t ‘on target’ but I think it almost led to a forward scoring and as soon as he missed his kick you could feel the panic as it was such a tense night.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This is a good one, proper heart in mouth moment and who knows how future seasons might have been affected.

Yes absolutely - a proper sliding doors moment that set us up for a good run - If you can lip read Klopp’s reaction is great  ;D

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Has anyone mentioned Gudjohnsen yet?

Oh…..absolutely everyone? Coolcoolcool

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
On the subject of misses, Iheanacho 100% missed a sitter on purpose against City to give them the title at our expense

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
I'll get Dudek out of the way for that bizarre, instinctive hand-flick from Shevchenko following up his header in Istanbul, but for me.....

Gudjohnssen (sp?) in the dying seconds at home in front of The Kop v Chelsea that night. I stopped breathing.

Any to add?

I was in the big stand right at the back more or less level with the penalty box. Fuck me I thought we're gonna win this .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
Gudjohnssen without a doubt.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
My misses is always the opponent.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
Gudjohnson obviously, and Milik for Napoli

Also a couple for Chelsea in the cup finals last year, Lukaku and Pulisic I think?

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
Gugjonsen all day long

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
Gudjohnsen was more heart stopping than Shevchenko's, for some reason.  Part of it is that I reckon I breathed maybe eight or nine times in the entire match (against Chelsea) - can't think of another match with that level of intensity for me personally from start to finish.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
Gudjohnsen was more heart stopping than Shevchenko's, for some reason.  Part of it is that I reckon I breathed maybe eight or nine times in the entire match (against Chelsea) - can't think of another match with that level of intensity for me personally from start to finish.

Completely agree. But also in that run, Olympiakos was like that, Juve was like that....  so many times when we play I fucking love that intensity, and how we feel, the crowd.......... special club this.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
Not a miss but a let off. Think it was Gerards first game back against Roma after his heart attack. There was a tussle in the area and the ref definitely pointed at the penalty spot. Sure there was a bit of complaining and confusion all round and then he ends up giving a corner.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan

Goodness me, had forgotten about this. Compared to the Shevchenko one (and I still can't believe he didn't score when I watch that back, I'm convinced he's going to every time I see it) this feels like a harder chance given the angle and the numbers on the line. But it also happens a lot slower than the Shevchenko one, you see it coming to him, he controls it, he shoots... takes an eternity.

Offline red whine

• goes to my hhead
  • Main Stander
There can’t be any more heart stopping than Gudjohnsen. Even when I see replays I’m convinced he’s going to score.

It would have been utter devastation.

It didn’t matter in the end as we lost the final but it would have spoiled an amazing night: Reus went so close with a last gasp free kick for Dortmund after Lovren’s goal, looked a goal all the way.

Wasn't that 2005 when we won the final?

In 2007 when we lost the final we beat Chelsea on pens?

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
Not a miss but a let off. Think it was Gerards first game back against Roma after his heart attack. There was a tussle in the area and the ref definitely pointed at the penalty spot. Sure there was a bit of complaining and confusion all round and then he ends up giving a corner.

He definitely gave a penalty that night - (can't remember - maybe Babbel with the raised arm to affect the cross from the left ) - but there was no doubt he pointed for a penalty. Still no idea why he changed his mind other than he just bottled it. And yeah, the world stopped when he pointed for it.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
There were a few sitters missed in one (or both?!) of the finals against Chelsea last year. Mason Mount bringing the ball down behind our defence only to hit the post is the one that springs to mind

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Eidur Gudjohnsen one will forever be the worst. I still feel sick to my stomach whenever I see it.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Wasn't that 2005 when we won the final?

In 2007 when we lost the final we beat Chelsea on pens?

Yes, it was the Garcia semi, Dudek came out flapping if i remember right and missed it, fucker had ages to bury it and somehow blasted it wide - I called Jerzy all the c*nts under the sun for that
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Oddbod

• Kopite
Sharp in the Derby in the league cup at home in 1987. Literally an open goal and he missed, we thought we'd spawned a draw. Twats still beat us with a late Gary Steven's goal. Got them back on the Sunday though!

Offline Mozology

• Legacy Fan
  • FSG, spend some fucking money, miserable bastards
Less obvious one but Bruno Fernandes miss in the 5-0 win at OT.

Missed less than a minute before Keita made it 1-0

Offline Mozology

• Legacy Fan
  • FSG, spend some fucking money, miserable bastards
He definitely gave a penalty that night - (can't remember - maybe Babbel with the raised arm to affect the cross from the left ) - but there was no doubt he pointed for a penalty. Still no idea why he changed his mind other than he just bottled it. And yeah, the world stopped when he pointed for it.

talking of not giving pens, but how Lovren wasn't sent off and Boro given a pen in the very last game of the 16/17 season

We go on and win and qualify for the Champions League

Klopp's whole time here would've been so different if we'd been reduced to ten men.