Author Topic: Albert Riera  (Read 338243 times)

Offline sydred09

• Anny Roader
  • I come from a land down under!
Re: Albert Riera
« Reply #120 on: September 2, 2008, 02:57:05 am »
Welcome to LFC Albert and welcome back to the EPL. :)

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: September 2, 2008, 03:01:44 am »
Welcome Albert

Dont mind all them muppets................

To infinity and beyond
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: September 2, 2008, 03:11:38 am »
my recollection is that he was skinny and generally lightweight when at city, but the pictures of him at espanyol recently he looks much stronger.....pictures anyone?

Offline ArgImAPirate

• Legacy Fan
  • rat a tat tat
« Reply #123 on: September 2, 2008, 03:37:35 am »

Doesn't look lightweight to me.

I don't know enough about him to make judgment on him. I never really saw him at City, I've seen Espanyol play since then, but I honestly can't remember if I saw him play. I'm not willing to make an opinion on him off of youtube videos. I'm cautiously optimistic - I'm not sure why, but I have a good feeling about him.

Show us what you've got, Albert!

Offline I Like Boobs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: September 2, 2008, 03:40:23 am »
my recollection is that he was skinny and generally lightweight when at city, but the pictures of him at espanyol recently he looks much stronger.....pictures anyone?

He's big. Actually, he's massive for a winger. Tall, well built and very strong.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #125 on: September 2, 2008, 03:41:54 am »
Just run at people and beat them and you'll be a hit, lad!  That's what we need and badly.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #126 on: September 2, 2008, 03:49:00 am »
Looking forward to seeing him play for us.
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #127 on: September 2, 2008, 03:52:06 am »
I actually think Riera is going to prove to be an astute signing. He's got skill, technique and good game intelligence.  I think he is going to offer that spark we need on the wings. I remember reading somewhere on another forum that Carra apparently rates him pretty highly. I think most of his detractors haven't seen him and are basing their negative outlook either on his FM stats or the fact he isn't a big name, rather than his performances during the past few years.

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #128 on: September 2, 2008, 03:57:44 am »
Doesn't look lightweight to me.

Maybe because the players in La Liga are petite?

Seriously though, I worry how much service he'll get from the rest of the midfield.  All our regular midfield players are right-footed, and their natural tendency is to play the ball to the right.  It seems to be particularly marked with Mash and Gerrard; I'd guess that about 3/4 of the diagonal or square balls they play are intended for the RM or RB.  And if Kuyt and Arbeloa are out there we get honest effort, but not much penetration.  So welcome Albert, but you're going to have to yell for the ball in  the first few games.
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #129 on: September 2, 2008, 04:00:43 am »
Good luck Albert, I hope you do well. 

As long as you are giving 100% for the team, you wouldn't be the scapegoat of our failure to bring the league title back to where it belongs.  I am not sure about all the others, but you have my word on that.

For the same token, Your manager Rafa shouldn't be the scapegoat of our failure to bring the league title either, as it clearly isn't his intention to ask you to join the team on the transfer deadline day, 3 weeks into the season, without a proper pre-season work with your new teammates.  Everybody knows the reason for your late arrival is because our club was trying to get your manager Rafa his 1st-choice target this summer and for some reason it didn't work out after we tried for 3 months, so we have to come to you late and sorry about that.  And yes, please don't blame your manager Rafa because he was told not to participate any transfer negotiations.

We all know who that scapegoat is, and they are from the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

We won it 6 times

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: September 2, 2008, 04:06:10 am »
Maybe because the players in La Liga are petite?

Seriously though, I worry how much service he'll get from the rest of the midfield.  All our regular midfield players are right-footed, and their natural tendency is to play the ball to the right.  It seems to be particularly marked with Mash and Gerrard; I'd guess that about 3/4 of the diagonal or square balls they play are intended for the RM or RB.  And if Kuyt and Arbeloa are out there we get honest effort, but not much penetration.  So welcome Albert, but you're going to have to yell for the ball in  the first few games.

A right footers natural  pass is out to the left & visa versa,or atleast that's what i find most natural..

That said i've never played FM or any of its spin offs so i know nothing about the game. ;)
Journalist: Without giving any secrets away, how do you practice when you haven't got a six foot seven player in the squad? How on earth can you prepare?

It's about beating him in the air, so we will use Mascherano against him!

NinjaVideo

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 2, 2008, 04:17:08 am »
I actually think Riera is going to prove to be an astute signing. He's got skill, technique and good game intelligence.  I think he is going to offer that spark we need on the wings. I remember reading somewhere on another forum that Carra apparently rates him pretty highly. I think most of his detractors haven't seen him and are basing their negative outlook either on his FM stats or the fact he isn't a big name, rather than his performances during the past few years.

He also has the height and strength to trouble tough defenders, which there are plenty of in the EPL.

I think I've only seen him play once (UEFA Cup Final) but he played well that day. Obviously I'll reserve my judgement until he's settled and I've seen him play a bit.

In the meantime, welcome aboard.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: September 2, 2008, 04:35:02 am »
Let's not kid ourselves. Riera is not Stevie G, C. Ronaldo. He can't week in, week out change games with his brilliance. He got what we could afford and he's no A-grade. However, he is the first true winger Rafa has purchased so let's give him the benefit of time to prove what he can do. I bet he'll give us another dimension to our game as we have not utilised a true winger (with the exception of Kewell).

Offline tHe^CuLpRit

• Legacy Fan
  • just another Malaysian Red
« Reply #133 on: September 2, 2008, 04:59:31 am »
Hope he's good at corners. It's one area we could really improve on.
As Shankly once said form is temporary, being shite is permanent.

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #134 on: September 2, 2008, 05:06:22 am »
Let's not kid ourselves. Riera is not Stevie G, C. Ronaldo. He can't week in, week out change games with his brilliance. He got what we could afford and he's no A-grade. However, he is the first true winger Rafa has purchased so let's give him the benefit of time to prove what he can do. I bet he'll give us another dimension to our game as we have not utilised a true winger (with the exception of Kewell).

Err...Pennant?  Or do you just mean left winger?
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #135 on: September 2, 2008, 05:09:42 am »
A right footers natural  pass is out to the left & visa versa,or atleast that's what i find most natural..

That said i've never played FM or any of its spin offs so i know nothing about the game. ;)

I've never played FM either. 

If you're a right footer and you're being challenged you turn to protect the ball with your body and your left leg, and consequently pass the ball to the right.  Maybe your avatar has influenced your passing preferences?
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 2, 2008, 05:13:26 am »
Hope he's good at corners. It's one area we could really improve on.

Fishing? Or serious?

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: September 2, 2008, 05:15:32 am »
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline tHe^CuLpRit

• Legacy Fan
  • just another Malaysian Red
« Reply #138 on: September 2, 2008, 05:56:37 am »
As Shankly once said form is temporary, being shite is permanent.

Offline Cloggs

• Legacy Fan
  • TAFKAAS
« Reply #139 on: September 2, 2008, 06:09:52 am »
Hopefully

But somehow I get the feeling Benitez has a problem with Babel at the moment............

Yes. Babel dared go to the Olympics after being injured.

Offline Cloggs

• Legacy Fan
  • TAFKAAS
« Reply #140 on: September 2, 2008, 06:13:14 am »
To be honest, i doubt whether Robinho will be a success at City. And if he is anything other than exceptional there will be a revolt at Eastlands (or wherever the hell they play).

Poor Robinho. Welcome to the club mate and here are some of your talented team mates...Ireland, Ball...

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #141 on: September 2, 2008, 06:37:53 am »
I don't know how people say he is slow. He might not be Ryan Babel but he can match Stevie in pace and if Stevie can be lethal on right wing with that pace, why can't this guy with much better dribbling ability than Stevie.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 2, 2008, 06:44:21 am »
I don't know how people say he is slow. He might not be Ryan Babel but he can match Stevie in pace and if Stevie can be lethal on right wing with that pace, why can't this guy with much better dribbling ability than Stevie.

Agree. Don't think he's slow at all. Just because of his size, his pace looks rather labored, but he's got great acceleration. He's a Spanish Malouda IMO. Very technical, and and similar pace.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline Hannibal

• Kopite
« Reply #143 on: September 2, 2008, 06:57:22 am »
Finally we'll get some width and stretch the opposition defense a bit so the tactic of "El parko bus'o" won't be so effective against us.  Right now all our "wingers" love to cut in, mostly because they're not wingers but it creates a massive cockblock in the middle of the attacking third.

Offline albiceleste

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #144 on: September 2, 2008, 07:09:14 am »
I tell you what, I hope he isn't used as a scapegoat by some of our fans as a symbol of us having no money and settling for 'second best'. I wouldn't put it past some people (as seen on here) to write him off and then bleat about 'Man City bought SWP... why couldn't we....wah wah!' etc etc.

Give him a chance. Get behind him. Good luck to him.He's not hard to suss out really, just stand in front of him and you've pretty much won the battle.

;D ;D

Offline nandolove

• Main Stander
  • 2-3, BELIEVE....
« Reply #145 on: September 2, 2008, 07:12:11 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnLH46TQ8kQ

Not too shit at all!

But where will Rafa play Robbie Keane now?.... ;-)
Oh, how I now wish I hadn't chosen this username

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #146 on: September 2, 2008, 07:34:56 am »
But where will Rafa play Robbie Keane now?.... ;-)

Torres

Riera                                                             Keane/Gerrard

Gerrard/Keane

Alonso                    Mascherano

Dossena                             Agger           Carra                Arbeloa

Reina

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: September 2, 2008, 07:42:46 am »
Quite excited about this fellah now, and thank fuck the transfer got sorted. I can't see in anyway that this lad will flop, his attributes are very clear. He's no Ronaldo or Queresma, but that's not what this signing is about.

He'll fit in just nicely and provide us with some needed width. Such a well balanced signing - can't wait!

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #148 on: September 2, 2008, 07:53:52 am »
Today's Mirror says we only paid £5.5  million

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: September 2, 2008, 08:02:39 am »
Scoring against United on his debut will probably get most of these monkeys off his back!

No pressure lad......!

In all seriousness, gives us something we haven't got.  Am intrigued to see what formation Rafa goes for now!
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #150 on: September 2, 2008, 08:02:40 am »
Welcome to Anfeld Albert.

He won't get the headlines in todays papers after yesterdays activity down the East Lancs but hopefully he will make more over the course of the season.

Makes the team much more well balanced

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #151 on: September 2, 2008, 08:08:27 am »
Looking forward to seeing him play for us.
good luck Albert

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
  • A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics
« Reply #152 on: September 2, 2008, 08:11:17 am »

Yea, that + Finnan
Rarfer out! Go the Liverpool Reds Football Franchise!

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
  • A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics
« Reply #153 on: September 2, 2008, 08:12:40 am »
Riera solves our "lack of natural width" problem. Happy now?
Rarfer out! Go the Liverpool Reds Football Franchise!

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline Portland1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #154 on: September 2, 2008, 08:15:12 am »
Welcome to LFC. All the best

Hopefully this signing proves to be an excellent one! Lets hope he can do some fine work on the wing. If he's been capped for Spain recently then he must be a good player. I have not seen him play before, but i trust Rafa on this one. YNWA!

YNWA

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 2, 2008, 08:16:45 am »
Yea, that + Finnan

Finnan deal seprate imo. 
« Last Edit: September 2, 2008, 08:25:03 am by rocco »

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: September 2, 2008, 08:23:54 am »
Liverpool FC transfer window round up
Sep 2 2008 by Ian Doyle, Daily Post

RAFAEL BENITEZ has backed Albert Riera to make an immediate impact at Anfield after the winger completed his move from Espanyol.

RAFAEL BENITEZ has backed Albert Riera to make an immediate impact at Anfield after the winger completed his move from Espanyol.

On a busy final day of the transfer window yesterday, Steve Finnan ended his Liverpool career by making the reverse switch to Spain.

And Andriy Voronin followed the full-back out the club by agreeing a season-long loan move to Hertha Berlin, while young Brazilian forward Vitor Flora arrived on a free transfer from Botafogo.

Riera, though, represented the main business of the day for Liverpool, with the 26-year-old finally putting pen to paper on a four-year contract.

Liverpool have negotiated a deal that will see them pay an initial £5.5m fee with Espanyol set to receive a significant slice of any sell-on fee.

Spain international Riera, who can boast Premier League experience having had a spell on loan at Manchester City in 2006, had been pinpointed by Benitez to fill the problematic left wing role.

And a delighted Anfield manager said yesterday: “Riera has the qualities we were looking for. He’s a left footer who normally plays on the left wing, he’s good in the air, strong, powerful and a good crosser of the ball.

“He’s the kind of player we have been talking about. He can beat players and get good deliveries into the area for our strikers.

“We’ve known about him for a long time, since he was at Mallorca and then through his career with Bordeaux, Manchester City and Espanyol.

“He can talk English and of course he knows the Premier League, which is a big bonus. Usually foreign players need time when they go to a new country, but Riera already knows the league and the style of football

“He also had offers from other English clubs but he said no to them because he wanted to come and play for us. That means a lot to me because it shows the commitment he has to play for Liverpool.”

The deal for Riera, who will wear the number 11 shirt, was held up temporarily yesterday while Liverpool and Espanyol thrashed out the details of Finnan’s move, which has been dealt as a separate transfer.

The La Liga side swooped for the 32-year-old Republic of Ireland international following the recent departure of right-back Pablo Zabaleta to Manchester City.

Finnan, who has signed a two-year deal at Espanyol, joined Liverpool for £3.5m from Fulham in July 2003 and went on to play 217 games, scoring once against West Bromwich Albion in September 2004.

He was selected by Benitez to start two Champions League finals, a League Cup final, a Uefa Super Cup final and a World Club Championship final but had fallen behind Alvaro Arbeloa and summer signing Philipp Degen in the pecking order at right-back.

Voronin, meanwhile, has taken the opportunity to return to the Bundesliga for the remainder of the season with Hertha Berlin.

The Ukraine international joined Liverpool from German side Bayer Leverkusen 12 months ago but, despite scoring six goals in 27 appearances, has struggled to hold down a regular first-team place.

Voronin featured heavily during pre-season – missing a penalty in the friendly against Berlin in July – but, like Finnan, has not appeared for the first team this campaign.

Benitez yesterday bolstered his reserve team with the signing of Brazilian striker Flora from homeland club Botafogo.

The 18-year-old striker holds an Italian passport and Liverpool therefore sidestepped any work permit issues.

Hungarian goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi has completed a permanent transfer from MTK Hungaria. The reserve team keeper spent last season on loan at Melwood and has signed a two-year deal.

Academy player Astrit Ajdarevic, a member of the 2007 FA Youth Cup-winning team, is on the brink of a move to Bundesliga side Stuttgart having been told earlier this summer he can find a new club.

Offline Big Joe

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #157 on: September 2, 2008, 08:26:25 am »
Once he starts getting to the byline and whipping in the crosses, we'll need to start a "we need a target man who can head like Les Ferdinand" thread

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #158 on: September 2, 2008, 08:27:06 am »
His debut for city was against mancs in a 3-1 win.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: September 2, 2008, 08:27:50 am »

No.
He seemed quite well suited physically to the premier league when at City.
Am I the only person here who actually thought Riera looked like he had something about him at City ?  I thought at the time he was a strong, skillful winger and still do.
Plus, City (a struggling City at that) tended to play him as wing back in a few of their games.
I reckon he will be a great signing for us.