Author Topic: What's really going on? Selling, 'rebuilding the squad', what?  (Read 240518 times)

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
Re: What's really going on? Selling, 'rebuilding the squad', what?
« Reply #1160 on: August 31, 2012, 11:53:10 pm »
"There is absolutely no chance [of a loan deal]" Rodgers said
"We have got a very small squad as it is. We have lost a lot of players this summer and I have not replaced them, as of yet. That is the reality of where we are.
"I need a minimum of three strikers. Once the window shuts, that is it until January. I have got (Luis) Suarez, Fabio Borini, and Andy Carroll.

I assume he said this before Yesil.

the owners will probably tell him to get on with it and "coach the players he's got"
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline jamie_c

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1161 on: August 31, 2012, 11:53:14 pm »
Seriously, just shut the fuck up. He's done nothing but try to clear up the huge mess of last summer

So Andy Carroll or nothin, you prefer nothing.  If he stayed he would have had to have played him because we don't have enough strikers.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1162 on: August 31, 2012, 11:53:17 pm »
Last year the issue was goals, there are far less goals in this team now than there were last year.  I don't rate Carroll but for the manager to end up with none else is unforgivable.  I'll be amazed if he' s in the job next season.

We have a new manager and i new philosophy which will hopefully create more clear cut chances and we'll score more. I know last season under Kenny we were shite in front of goal and this season hasn't started great but lets not right off Rodgers and the players we have working to put it right.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1163 on: August 31, 2012, 11:53:33 pm »
The only person being around through all those years was Ayre. Who gave Carra this contract right before the take over? Who gave Cole this insane contract?

We need a proper board instead of someone like Ayre trying to be Cecil mk2...

Purslow gave those contracts. All Ayre did at the time was manage the commercial side of Liverpool.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1164 on: August 31, 2012, 11:53:41 pm »
Lets show our support for Brendan Rodgers on Sunday. But FSG and Ayre better get their shit together in January
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #1166 on: August 31, 2012, 11:53:52 pm »
If they, FSG, have any sense they will make someone pay for the lack of movement tonight, just to appease the fans more than anything.
He's already been sent out on loan to West Ham. ;)
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1167 on: August 31, 2012, 11:53:55 pm »
The only person being around through all those years was Ayre. Who gave Carra this contract right before the take over? Who gave Cole this insane contract?

We need a proper board instead of someone like Ayre trying to be Cecil mk2...

Think answer to the Carra and Cole questions is Purslow mate. Ayre might be a useless c*nt, but Purslow took the fucking biscuit.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1168 on: August 31, 2012, 11:54:00 pm »
Have you actually read the post he was agreeing with? What he said about Kenny?

It wasn't him who posted the ridiculous H&G/Kenny comment.

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1169 on: August 31, 2012, 11:54:14 pm »
Last year the issue was goals, there are far less goals in this team now than there were last year.  I don't rate Carroll but for the manager to end up with none else is unforgivable.  I'll be amazed if he' s in the job next season.

You have no idea that is true. We have played 2 league games, in what way can you know how we will perform?

Offline gandalf50

• Kopite
  • Named "Most Naive poster on Rawk" by L666kop
« Reply #1170 on: August 31, 2012, 11:54:17 pm »
I hope that 160 page dossier Rodgers wrote had a whole chapter about pulling rabbits out of hats.
It was actually 180 pages and if you look at the pictures of the US tour you can see our Brendan reading it to JW during a training session.
180 pages tells me there has to be a section on rabbit pulling.
There really isn't.  I think a lot of us, even our own have started doubting it. It's time to rise up. And take what is rightfully ours. It's a big mountain, but what is the point in achieving something, which everyone can?

Fate has given us a mountain too big. We have to rise. We have to believe.

fowler9_god

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1171 on: August 31, 2012, 11:54:26 pm »
It wasn't him who posted the ridiculous H&G/Kenny comment.

HE agreed with the post though.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline TheCharlatan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1172 on: August 31, 2012, 11:54:29 pm »
Do a club with CL aspirations send a decent striker off on loan and leave themselves with 2 strikers?

Face it, Suarez picks up a nasty injury and we're utterly fucked.

Cull of the crap? Kuyt, Bellamy, Maxi are all useful players. None have been replaced (assuming Borini replaces Carroll)

You're deluding yourself if you think this is anything other than the lowering of our club's aspirations in action. FSG are not going to lead us into a glorious new era of success, only an era of mid table profitability.

If we had picked up one forward. Just one forward. Any half-decent forward that could play were such a thing to happen. I would've been doing cartwheels.

Offline Smug Cassandra

• outh strikes again :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Siempre Liverpool Siempre River Plate
« Reply #1173 on: August 31, 2012, 11:54:41 pm »
I thought it was generally accepted that teams wishing to compete need 4 strikers.

This says to me that we arent looking to mount a serious challenge for anything this year, this year is about trimming down the wage bill and clearing up after Hurricane Comoli and Hicks. Trouble is that we cant sign players now we are out of the CL and we arent spending money so why would decent players now come if we arent serious about challenging for cups. We are basically turning into a less well scouted version of Arsenal.

My only hope is that the lack of money means the upgrading of Anfield will start sooner than we think.
! LIVERPOOL - EN LAS MALAS - MUCHO MAS !

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #1174 on: August 31, 2012, 11:54:49 pm »
Jeezuz, were we really talking about Walcott/Sturridge/Dempsey/Huntelaar/Llorente just 24 hours ago?
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1175 on: August 31, 2012, 11:54:54 pm »
just because chelsea have done it doesn't make it okay

Yes, and we're 8 points behind them already so they seem happy enough.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1176 on: August 31, 2012, 11:55:04 pm »
I thought it was generally accepted that teams wishing to compete need 4 strikers.

This says to me that we arent looking to mount a serious challenge for anything this year, this year is about trimming down the wage bill and clearing up after Hurricane Comoli and Hicks. Trouble is that we cant sign players now we are out of the CL and we arent spending money so why would decent players now come if we arent serious about challenging for cups. We are basically turning into a less well scouted version of Arsenal.

My only hope is that the lack of money means the upgrading of Anfield will start sooner than we think.
Not if your Spain or Barca...
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1177 on: August 31, 2012, 11:55:10 pm »
Rubbish, absolute rubbish!

The outlay of money in 2011 was down to a clear ambition to get top 4 not 8th. It didn't work out but that was due to terrible signings by the management. Carroll, Suarez, Hendo, Downing, Adam and Enrique cost a bomb and only 1 has been a resoundingly good buy. Coming 8th was not on the agenda when FSG bought these guys.

Can people please move away from the lazy narrative that the owners are here to see us fail? That is palpable tosh. They may not be pleasing you all but their intent is to build the club not destroy it.

FFS I'm not saying they're pantomime villains, simply that they're here for a profit however it comes.

plan a) 1 big transfter window to get us in the top 4 failed. plan b) cut wage bill and fill ground might work for them.

If you think not paying £6M for a palyer the manager really wanted is the actions of a club making a genuine effort at top 4 then you're nuts

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1178 on: August 31, 2012, 11:55:16 pm »
Do a club with CL aspirations send a decent striker off on loan and leave themselves with 2 strikers?

Chelsea - Lukaku sent on loan leaving just 2 strikers. One who is reportedly unhappy and hardly ever plays under RDM.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1179 on: August 31, 2012, 11:55:42 pm »
Can't believe we've reduced the wage bill by £450k a week! that's £23m in the year.

£50m budget next summer?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline juan1001

• The Dumb One
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1180 on: August 31, 2012, 11:55:52 pm »
I never liked tomatoes
I LOVE tomatoes, but I never liked FSG...

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1181 on: August 31, 2012, 11:56:24 pm »
Nor should it seems he was as let down as us, difference is they have made him look a little stupid as well, nice one Ian

I agree... I was questioning the poster claiming that everyone was blaming rodgers

Offline WavertreeRed

• Anny Roader
  • Internet Terrorist, Detonating emails every 5 mins
« Reply #1182 on: August 31, 2012, 11:56:24 pm »
Look.  It's easy to get lost in the sky super duper transfer deadline day bollox.  Fact is that we have signed a number of good players for key positions and also cleared our lines.  People forget that at the point when rodgers took over we had a squad with little depth but high wages.  To rebuild you need to clear the wage bill and take it in steps.

Tottenham have signed a number of decent players today, but they have also lost van da vaart and modric.  Have they got stronger, weaker or stayed the same?  I guess time will tell.  They look to have lost Moutinho, which would explain the late Dempsey move.  That smacks of desperation.

Newcastle haven't really strengthened massively.  They've held onto that fine squad from last year, but can they repeat the success?

Arsenal have gone backwards.  They've sold more of their key players and the replacements are unknown quantities.

Chelsea and Man City have strengthened massively, but then we were never going to compete financially with them.

Man U have only made one big move and that was for Van persie.  Could be an amazing signing, or he could get injured tomorrow.

I look at our central mid options now with Sahin and Allen, adding to Lucas, Gerrard, Shelvey and Henderson and I think we have improved massively on Adam, Aquilani and Spearing.

Our attacking options which now truly include Sterling, Assaidi, Yesil and Borini adding to Downing, Suarez and Cole is decent business.  It's not perfect, and the loss of Carroll is a major gamble, but it's not the "sky is falling" situation many are claiming.

On the whole I think we've had a very good transfer window.  A poor final couple of days, but we shouldn't be judged on that.

The only post in the last 5 pages that actually makes sense.

Well done lad have a Jammy Dodger :thumbup
Will you please kindly refrain from all this rational common sense bollocks.

Someone has said something on a social networking site, so it must be true.

Offline mysterio_86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1183 on: August 31, 2012, 11:56:33 pm »
Worst comment I've seen all night, and that's saying something when there's been tonnes of shockers.

Worst comment or not, atleast he is saying the bitter truth ! The early we accept it - the better !
Sebastion Coates, Suso, Sterling, Shelvey, Samed Yesil, SinclairSama, Smichael Ngoo, Sryan McLaughlin, Sjordan Ibe, - The S Law

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #1184 on: August 31, 2012, 11:56:37 pm »
Ayre has done well getting in the sponsorships and all but we seriously need to bring in someone with real knowledge and network for the football side of the 'business'.

Although i don't think FSG will do that, seems like they like having yes men around...

Offline Dirk18Kuyt

• Kopite
« Reply #1185 on: August 31, 2012, 11:56:40 pm »
IF you actually think the first line of the post he is commenting on is in any way true you want to have a long hard look at yourself.

I mean the tactics last year weren't great at all. If Rodgers signed Downing for £20m who then went on to be really good for him it wouldn't matter.

Offline smegger56

• Main Stander
« Reply #1186 on: August 31, 2012, 11:56:40 pm »
I'm surprised at the way we are turning on the owners here. Until I see a complete lack of ambition from them, I will continue to support them (and no send retarded tweets to Henry... call themselves LFC fans).

I'm glad Rodgers didn't just go out and buy for the sake of buying. He must have some faith in the young players to help the team through. And I'm happy with that.
When/If Kenny leaves, I'd only want one man at the helm... Rafael Benitez

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1187 on: August 31, 2012, 11:56:44 pm »
Can't believe we've reduced the wage bill by £450k a week! that's £23m in the year.

£50m budget next summer?

Hopefully. If FSG are telling the truth then it should be sizable.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #1188 on: August 31, 2012, 11:56:58 pm »
So who expects us to get top 4 this year now? More importantly, if we dont, how many of our 'senior players' are we likely to be able to keep?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:58:57 pm by Always_A_Red »
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #1189 on: August 31, 2012, 11:57:28 pm »
Jeezuz, were we really talking about Walcott/Sturridge/Dempsey/Huntelaar/Llorente just 24 hours ago?

That was an 'in house ruse' to keep us on our toes with anticipation

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #1190 on: August 31, 2012, 11:57:32 pm »
So Andy Carroll or nothin, you prefer nothing.  If he stayed he would have had to have played him because we don't have enough strikers.

He doesnt FIT IN with the system. He doesn't have the mobility on the ground, and cannot play a pressing game.

If we are in the unlikely position where Borini and Suarez are both injured or need to be rested, Brendan would rather give Morgan or Yesil a game, or even play Shelvey there.

"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1191 on: August 31, 2012, 11:58:02 pm »
I mean the tactics last year weren't great at all. If Rodgers signed Downing for £20m who then went on to be really good for him it wouldn't matter.

I couldn't give a shit if we had got relegated last season, there is no way anyone should ever compare Kenny to H&G, let alone a supposed supporter of this club.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline iRed

• Kopite
« Reply #1192 on: August 31, 2012, 11:58:17 pm »
Tonight did not make me disappointed about this transfer window. It just made me more furious about last summer's transfer window.
Post of the thread.

All of this pathetic acting out and stomping of feet at the closing of this window, as though the blame were somehow directly at the feet of FSG and Ian Ayre.  The fact is that the club lost a ton of money on the last financial report, yet another lasting gift from H&G.  Couple that with the purchases last summer by Kenny and Comolli, regardless of net spend, and this summer transfer window was always going to be derailed in a major way. 

People don't have to like the owners, but they have been nothing but honest in their statements.  They promised to run a self-sustaining club which, without wastefulness, generates enough revenue to out-compete 99% of the clubs in Europe.  They said they would do everything than can to raise our revenue levels in order to increase the amount of money the club can spend.  And they are on the path to doing so.  Until we get a clean yearly financial report that doesn't reflect the sins of the past, we'll be pretty much where we are now.  Doesn't mean we'll finish as low as 8th, but that's the reality we're facing in the short term.

Unfortunately, last year's business in the player market has only served to put another anchor around the club's neck.  Meanwhile, having to pay off Dalglish, Comolli, etc, and bringing in Rodgers, further ate up a chunk of our purchasing power this year.

We all were preaching patience earlier this summer, with some fully realizing how monumental the challenge ahead will be.  Yet, now, it seems almost no one has even a functioning short term memory.  A bit of calm would do everyone some good.

For me, I was willing to be patient then and am willing to be patient two months later.  The business we have managed to do in this window has been hugely encouraging.  I, for one, am looking forward to this season.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2012, 12:18:55 am by iRed »

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1193 on: August 31, 2012, 11:58:25 pm »
HE agreed with the post though.

I am sure he was agreeing with the notion that Kenny/Comolli did damage. I already said that the Kenny and H&G comparision is ridiculous, stupid, idiotic or whatever else you want to say.

Offline hazzm2

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1194 on: August 31, 2012, 11:58:33 pm »
I can't help but feel that the finance in future windows will be exactly the same with us having to sell to buy.  If this is the case we can't possibly compete at a high level with the rest of the clubs spending upwards of 50m. cmon fsg open your eyes ffs

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1195 on: August 31, 2012, 11:58:37 pm »
So who expects us toet top 4 this year now? More importantly, if we dont, how many of our 'senior players' are we likely to be able to keep?

I need to see more of this team, but I do not think it is impossible. Excited to see the youth set up in the cups.

Offline Outer Mongolian Red

• Rafa ran over my dog. Then shot it. Fact
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1196 on: August 31, 2012, 11:58:49 pm »
I wish people would stop Rodgers should resign out of principle.Why would he give up his lucrative contract? It's the only reason he took the job in the 1st place.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1197 on: August 31, 2012, 11:58:49 pm »
Worst comment or not, atleast he is saying the bitter truth ! The early we accept it - the better !

No - he's saying Kenny Dalglish, the man who held a city together, did as much damage to the club as Hicks and Gillett based on one shit transfer window.

It's fucking idiocy.

Offline Live in the Now

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1198 on: August 31, 2012, 11:58:54 pm »
How many clubs spent more than us (net)?

City, United, Chelsea. QPR, Southampton, and Sunderland may have come close, but I don't think they spent more.

Spurs had a good summer but their net spend wasn't even comparable. I think we were fortunate not to lose anyone of the quality they did to be honest.

It was a good summer for us and I'm no spin doctor, it was just lacking that final move.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1199 on: August 31, 2012, 11:59:04 pm »

£50m budget next summer?

That's brilliant we've almost got our wage bill down to Swansea's. But unfortunately if we aspire to the CL (I thought that's why Kenny got sacked) then we also face losing exactly that same amount for not reaching 4th.
aarf, aarf, aarf.