Author Topic: Hillsborough Documentary on now.  (Read 17171 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hillsborough Documentary on now.
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2016, 03:48:32 pm »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:02:15 pm by John C »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2016, 04:28:40 pm »
Nice touch, will add this to the ticket thread too. :)

Nice one :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2016, 05:46:15 pm »
Not sure where to put this so...

That's a really nice gesture.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2016, 05:57:22 pm »
I saw the film a couple of days ago. Absolutely gruelling at times and of course containing distressing images and heart-rending testimony - from the families, from the survivors of the pens (and how that came across in the film that they were survivors) and from individual coppers who'd tried to help and whose statements were altered and forged by superiors.

The film was handled with sensitivity and skill by the director and producer. Once again I realised how much I detested Paul Middup especially. But also once again it made you realise how magnificently eloquent and informed the families have become over the years.

Phil Scraton is wonderful in the film, not least because his passionate criticism is always judicious and measured - and all the more powerful for it.

Well done to all concerned.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2016, 06:17:50 pm »
Watching that brought back some memories. This is the take of an OOT, with no family connections to Liverpool. (I was born in Wallasey, but never lived in Liverpool).

In 1988 I was living in Wimbledon. When Wimbledon got into the FA cup final everyone there was taken up with it. I wasn't really interested in football at the time so it wasn't an issue for me to go to Wembley with Wimbledon supporters.

To get Wembley tickets you had to buy tickets to three home matches, which I did with my then girlfriend. This was Plough Lane. It was the first time I'd been to a football match. I don't like crowds very much anyway but it was horrible being hearded around like cattle, unable to move because you're squashed together. Really horrible. In fact after the first match we bought the tickets for the other two but didn't attend.

There were also some rival fans who'd got in the home end really just to cause trouble. The police stood round them to make sure they didn't.

After that, I was a bit nervous going to Wembley, but it turned out the Liverpool fans were wonderful. Full of banter, no aggression at all, just having a good day out to enjoy the football and were very friendly.

Spin on one year and I remember being on a car journey with the radio on and hearing the count go up and thinking I'd maybe stood next to some of those same fans. It seemed unbelievable that so many had died going to a football match that was in England and not some third world country.

When the papers came out the next day it was very obvious a blatant and well over the top cover up was in operation. I couldn't reconcile the reports with the fans I'd met, or actually with any human being. Who would believe these stupid lies when it was quite obvious those terraced stadia were very dangerous and the police had well and truly f*cked up? Someone at SYP had clearly read Mein Kampf and thought they'd follow the 'big lie' routine.

The Taylor report seemed to get at the truth, or at least near it. Then this perverse aberration of the inquest where Popper seems to be a puppet with the Police having an arm up him operating the controls. The inhumanity of sampling the blood of a dead 10 year old boy for alcohol! Why was this man not stopped?

That's it - modern Britain allowing a police coverup after 96 people are killed? No prosecutions? Shouldn't there have been only two outcome from this? Either the police were right and fans should be prosecuted - there was ample video footage, though none showing any of the police allegations. Alternatively, the police were wrong and they should've been prosecuted, and then again for the cover up. But instead there was this 'accidental death' verdict which was clearly rediculous.

I had thought it would be rectified by Labour. The Stuart-Smith inquiry was just another one of their broken election promises.

Andy Burnham being chanted at during the 20th anniversary was amazing to watch. I don't think he personally deserved it but 20 years of politicians certainly did.

Fantastic though that he responded the way he did.

I didn't want to watch the documentary, I thought it woul be too heart rending. And it was. But I'm glad I watched it and very glad it was made - thank you. If you haven't watched it - please do so.

Oh, and to the senior's at SYP - no one believes your lies. You f*cked up royally promoting people with your funny handshakes, and you were monsterously cruel to the families for perpetuating to the bitter end your vile slanders. You really are an horrible bunch of criminals.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2016, 06:47:00 pm »
I saw the film a couple of days ago. Absolutely gruelling at times and of course containing distressing images and heart-rending testimony - from the families, from the survivors of the pens (and how that came across in the film that they were survivors) and from individual coppers who'd tried to help and whose statements were altered and forged by superiors.

The film was handled with sensitivity and skill by the director and producer. Once again I realised how much I detested Paul Middup especially. But also once again it made you realise how magnificently eloquent and informed the families have become over the years.

Phil Scraton is wonderful in the film, not least because his passionate criticism is always judicious and measured - and all the more powerful for it.

Well done to all concerned.
There`s so many individuals who I detest through all of this but for some reason he`s the one who really gets my anger flowing every time I see and hear his arrogant, smug voice.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2016, 11:56:35 am »
Phil Scraton:  'They wanted the truth, warts and all.  There were NO warts, only the truth.'