Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW – Arsenal FC vs Liverpool FC, Sunday Jan. 7, 2024 – 4:30PM  (Read 17103 times)

Offline North Red

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
My guess for the defence:

Alisson

Bradley - Quansah - Van Dijk - Gomez

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
Pearce is saying that suspensions carry across different leagues?

Yep.

Article in the Athletic about it.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Given the injuries, the players away and the minutes some of the lads have played I really hope we rotate.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Could or can we use Fabio Carvalho for this?

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
Could or can we use Fabio Carvalho for this?

looks like he is going to join another club on loan

didnt see him in any training video

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy

Expect we want him to get consistent starts for a loan team so it's easier to sell him.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Ah okay.

Expect we want him to get consistent starts for a loan team so it's easier to sell him.
We want to sell him?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
We want to sell him?

Yeah I reckon so, the loan will just be shop window stuff.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah I reckon so, the loan will just be shop window stuff.
Ah okay. Would be disappointing if that happens.

Online nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
I think they'll be 6-7 changes from line up vs Newcastle
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Just don't draw
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
If klopp thinks we have a good shot at the league, does he rest TAA, VVD and gomez.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
If klopp thinks we have a good shot at the league, does he rest TAA, VVD and gomez.
Klopp will not think that, first of all. Secondly, what does the league have to do with it? The next game is the League Cup. Klopp will not rest either of those players for two games in a row.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Just don't draw

It's not a must win, its a must not draw.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
Alisson for tomorrow, Kelleher on Wednesday? Or Kelleher for both?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If not Kelleher for both, play Allison against Fulham

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan

Kelleher for both and Alisson for the Europa League knockout stages. For me Europe is second in importance after the league.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
Thankfully I am sure that Klopp will take this seriously unlike some of the wet lettuces posting in this thread.  An opportunity for a trophy, and the opportunity to knock a serious rival out and inflict pressure on a challenger for the title.  Realistically a win is a double hit on Arsenal. And I think we will win. 
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Why play Kelleher against Fulham everyone gets a rest providing there is a result tomorrow.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
Why play Kelleher against Fulham everyone gets a rest providing there is a result tomorrow.

Plays every leg of the tournament and he did when we won it in 2022, assume he will continue with that so he’ll get both legs vs Fulham.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We will play full strength tomorrow and midweek. Looking forward to this, Jota to knock them out of the cup again.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
Great OP, jm55!  Thanks!

It's still a ways to go before the finals for this competition.

Trot out Kelleher and mostly second stringers and youngsters.

If we survive the round, great!

If not, not a big loss, and we can save our strength for more important competitions and the league.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
Great OP, jm55!  Thanks!

It's still a ways to go before the finals for this competition.

Trot out Kelleher and mostly second stringers and youngsters.

If we survive the round, great!

If not, not a big loss, and we can save our strength for more important competitions and the league.

Give me strength.

Better still don’t turn up at all, conceded the match and refund the tickets and travelling costs of 7600 fans who actually believe it is a cause worth fighting for. 
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
let's be honest for a minute here. if Klopp thought winning the FA cup was always a priority, he would have won it more than once.

outside of late rounds it's rarely (but not quite never) been treated with the same prioritisation - eg starting the strongest team - as a standard league game [when we're still chasing something] is treated

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
let's be honest for a minute here. if Klopp thought winning the FA cup was always a priority, he would have won it more than once.

outside of late rounds it's rarely (but not quite never) been treated with the same prioritisation - eg starting the strongest team - as a standard league game [when we're still chasing something] is treated

Does that mean that if Klopp thought winning the league was always a priority, he would have won it more than once?
« Last Edit: January 6, 2024, 11:16:15 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Does that mean that if Klopp thought winning the league was always a priority, he would have won it more than once?
nope, what on earth would make you think that!?

i just don't get the (in?)voluntary amnesia some people have about Klopp and the domestic cups.

-traveling fans know it. i don't have the credits to do aways anymore, but we always went in with open eyes that you aren't guaranteed a first eleven - at this stage in Klopp's time here if anyone is upset in the crowd tomorrow, it's entirely on them
-anyone who remembers his interviews know it. some remember him saying he wouldn't attend a Shrewsbury replay.
-people who've looked at previous FA cup team sheets know it

why do some people choose to beat around the bush. it's not a big prioritiy of Klopp's (until it potentially becomes one based on how a season is progressing). but even then, it's not as big a priority as league or european football
« Last Edit: January 6, 2024, 11:24:20 pm by classycarra »

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

His team selections are a clear indicator as to where his properties lay!

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Top OP that. Thanks JM. No idea what team Klopp will put out. Never a dull game with Arsenal though. I think we'll score a couple.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
It's not a must win, its a must not draw.

If its 1-1 final 90 seconds of extra time and we get possession in the attacking half, i say we pull the goalie.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
I think it's not too hard to guess our matchday squads for the next two games; the trickier part is working out who starts which.

The 20 man squad for the two games will probably be Alisson and Kelleher; TAA, Gomez, Bradley, Virg, Konate, Quansah and one left back (Chambers v Arsenal and Beck v Fulham); Macca, Jones, Elliott, Gravenberch, Clark and McConnell; Jota, Diaz, Nunez, Gakpo and Gordon.

I'd suggest we'll go closer to the first team against Arsenal than Fulham, because we'll be wanting to win both and Arsenal away is obviously a more difficult match.
So the FA Cup line-up might be Ali; Trent, Konate, Van Dijk, Gomez; Elliott, Mac Allister, Jones; Jota, Nunez and Diaz and then against Fulham we might bring in Kelleher, Bradley or Beck, Quansah, Gravenberch and Gakpo, with the other 6 being players starting both matches.

Looking forward to it!

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
If its 1-1 final 90 seconds of extra time and we get possession in the attacking half, i say we pull the goalie.
I agree - except at the end of 90 mins and not having to go to extra time.....
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
Great OP Jm55.
I expect a pretty strong lineup. Excited for this.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
I’m starting to think Klopp will go strong for this.

1. Arsenal will definitely go strong.
They’ve had a long rest before the game and will have a long break after. Plus they are on a losing run and will want to end that.
2. Liverpool have had a long break
We’ve had a long so getting minutes in the legs for rhythm may not be the worse thing ahead of a semifinal. There is a short turnaround for the semifinal but there is a break afterwards. If think if we’re drawing in the final 10 minutes we’ll fling everyone forwards and we’ll either win or draw to avoid a replay.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
There isnt enough senior outfield players to play a team that is anything but strong. No real chance of one of those half and half situations, I dont think

Maybe which of these two games Quansah could start and maybe same ? for Mac. Id be surprised if Mac started both.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2024, 07:07:04 am by b_joseph »

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
Just occurred to me, all this bollocks about Arteta playing football.
We lost Diaz for most of the season due to a foul going unpunished last time down there, we lost Tsimi to a judo throw by Saint Bukayo Saka which was unpunished.
I just want us to come away without injuries against this shower of cheats.
A result would be nice but they are a real snide outfit.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
nope, what on earth would make you think that!?

i just don't get the (in?)voluntary amnesia some people have about Klopp and the domestic cups.

-traveling fans know it. i don't have the credits to do aways anymore, but we always went in with open eyes that you aren't guaranteed a first eleven - at this stage in Klopp's time here if anyone is upset in the crowd tomorrow, it's entirely on them
-anyone who remembers his interviews know it. some remember him saying he wouldn't attend a Shrewsbury replay.
-people who've looked at previous FA cup team sheets know it

why do some people choose to beat around the bush. it's not a big prioritiy of Klopp's (until it potentially becomes one based on how a season is progressing). but even then, it's not as big a priority as league or european football

For what it’s worth I feel that the manager has taken the domestic trophies more seriously since winning them, quite a small sample size there given this is only the second season we’ve played since winning them, but compare the team he plays in the quarter final vs West Ham to the one against Leicester in 2022 (or the one he plays vs Leicester in 2024 vs Leicester in 2022).

People may argue that was always the plan and we’ve got a stronger squad now than we did then, which is probably true, the romantic in me wonders whether he fancies a repeat of those Wembley days.

I’m going today and take your point regarding team selections, if I’m honest it’s something that used to irk me about Klopp but you’re never going to get too annoyed by it given the success we were experiencing in other trophies (which we’d all have prioritised).

Offline Oh Jimmy Jimmy

• Main Stander
It’s interesting that in the Premier League era, we have gone out to our rivals in the early stages of the FA Cup when going for the League, and it has affected our momentum, form and belief:

97 - Chelsea
02 - Arsenal
09 - Everton (less so)
14 - Arsenal (less so)
20 - Chelsea
21 - United

19 away to Wolves was an exception, but the blueprint should be 22 when winning became a habit, regardless of competition.

This is how things were during the 80s when we reached 3 Finals and 4 semis between 79-90.  Of course we lost 5 of these as the team became fatigued in April when going for the League (we’re forever blowing doubles).

So let’s go strong today and kick them while they’re down.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It’s interesting that in the Premier League era, we have gone out to our rivals in the early stages of the FA Cup when going for the League, and it has affected our momentum, form and belief:

97 - Chelsea
02 - Arsenal
09 - Everton (less so)
14 - Arsenal (less so)
20 - Chelsea
21 - United

19 away to Wolves was an exception, but the blueprint should be 22 when winning became a habit, regardless of competition.

This is how things were during the 80s when we reached 3 Finals and 4 semis between 79-90.  Of course we lost 5 of these as the team became fatigued in April when going for the League (we’re forever blowing doubles).

on the other hand, going out to brighton last year was a turning point in our form which was excellent from almost then onwards (madrid thrashing aside)

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan

97 - Chelsea
02 - Arsenal
09 - Everton (less so)
14 - Arsenal (less so)
20 - Chelsea
21 - United

That fucking 97 match away at Chelsea, from jubilation to crushing disappointment in about half an hour. Mad to think that Mark Hughes was their best player that day!

Would argue that the latter two examples you’ve given there had no bearing on our form, in 2020 we were going through a bit of a poor spell anyway (in the context of that season) having just lost 3-0 away to Watford and 1-0 to Atletico, I’d argue it was our poor form (and the fact we had to play Adrian in goal who, from memory, was shite) which caused the defeat rather than the defeat resulting in any poor form afterward.

Similar in 2021, the poor form was already well under way with some poor results against West Brom and Newcastle over Christmas, from memory that performance was actually one of our better ones around that time, albeit not enough to go through.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
If we put out anything less than our strongest team, I think we're out.  We lost 2 Europa away games with a weakened side.  Same will happen here.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate