Author Topic: Liverpool vs West Ham United (League Cup Quarter-Final) - 20:00, Weds 20th Dec  (Read 11592 times)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Liverpool vs West Ham United

20:00, Wednesday 20th December
Anfield, Liverpool
League Cup Quarter-Final
Referee: John Brooks

An increased-capacity Anfield plays host to a second of three home matches this week on Wednesday, as West Ham United travel north to face Liverpool in the Quarter Final of the 2023-24 League Cup. Jürgen Klopp’s side were held to a goalless Premier League draw against North West rivals Manchester United on Sunday, relinquishing top-spot to next-up Arsenal. The inconsistent Hammers enjoyed a 3-0 victory over similarly-inconsistent Wolves earlier in the day, and occupy a very comfortable top-half position. The Reds have of course won this competition more than any other side, with the latest of their nine League Cups being claimed against Chelsea in 2022. West Ham have been runners-up twice (1966 and ’81), and have reached this stage four times in the last ten seasons.

Liverpool and West Ham last met in the League Cup in November 1988, with John Lyall’s to-be relegated Hammers claiming a 4-1 victory over Kenny Dalglish’s visitors. A young Paul Ince had netted a brace before a John Alridge penalty reduced the deficit during the first half, but a Steve Staunton own goal was added to by Tony Gale to eliminate the Reds. The pair met on a further four occasions in the competition, winning a game each at the first hurdle and with Liverpool proving successful on two other occasions that required replays. Their meeting on this occasions comes off the back of Jürgen Klopp’s side claiming 3-1 home & 2-1 away victories over Leicester City & Bournemouth, respectively, whilst David Moyes’ side beat Lincoln City 1-0 away from home before impressively dismissing Arsenal with a 3-1 win at the London Stadium.

David Moyes is of course in charge of West Ham United for a second time, having twice been appointed to rescue a struggling side from relegation – first in November 2017, steering the Hammers for the relegation zone to a reasonably-comfortable 13th, and again in December 2019, eventually guiding them to survival in 16th. A highly impressive 2020-21 followed, with goals from Michael Antonio and Tomáš Souček firing a squad that featured Vladimír Coufal, Declan Rice, retiring Mark Noble, and on-loan Jesse Lingard to a best-since-’99 (the days of Shaka Hislop, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, and Ian Wright, led by Harry Redknapp) 6th place finish. League form dropped off a little during 2021-22, though this could be attributed to a strong showing in the Europa League – Moyes’ side progressed through the group-stage before eliminating Sevilla and Lyon in the knockout rounds, ultimately being dismissed by eventual-winners Eintracht Frankfurt at the semi-final stage.

League form dropped off yet further during 2022-23, as the Hammers picked up just 40 points (compared to 65 & 56 in ’21 & ’22, respectively) and finished much closer to the drop zone that European qualification positions. Moyes’ side did qualify for a third consecutive season of European football, however, after becoming the second winners of the Europa Conference League. West Ham beat Anderlecht to top-spot in their group, before beating AEK Larnaca, Gent, and AZ on their way to their final against Fiorentina. West Ham took the lead halfway through the Prague-based final, courtesy of a Saïd Benrahma penalty, but were quickly pegged-back by a Giacomo Bonaventura equaliser – soon-to-depart captain, Declan Rice ultimate lifted the trophy after a late Jarred Bowen winner.

The 2023 Europa Conference League trophy is West Ham’s first trophy since their 2012 & ’05 playoff victories and the 1999 Intertoto Cup (besides these, you have to look back to the 1980 FA Cup), and is David Moyes’ second overall (the first since a bright new era for Manchester United began at Wembley, with a 2-0 Community Shield victory over Wigan Athletic). The ‘Moyes era’ has been West Ham’s best period since at least the days of Harry Redknapp’s talented young squad of the late-90s, but there’s a sense that the club should be aspiring to regular top-half finishes and cup-runs rather than very occasional ones. The relationship between club, manager, and supporters has always seemed a little more fragile than their recent records (on paper) suggest it could otherwise be. The first half of this season is exactly what supporters will be looking for if they’re to have the appetite for this era lasting much longer, however – the Hammers have started the Premier League season well (only really let down by a poor October run) and have cruised through the Europa League group-stage. It’s very rare for visiting sides to be deemed favourites at Anfield, but an effort & performance that shows that West Ham United are in this competition to win it will be what supporters are looking for.

It's become a somewhat strange season for Jürgen Klopp’s side, who are unbeaten in ten league matches (having lost just once, away to Tottenham Hotspur admist controversy) and sit just a point behind league-leaders & next-opponents Arsenal. There’s a nagging sense of frustration amongst the fanbase that the Reds’ position is somewhat in spite of performances rather than a result of them – the encouraging signs of the emergence of a new midfield have thinned out, and a talented forward-line continues to misfire. It’s hard to view the League Cup as any sort of a priority for a club who will have ambitions of going all the way in the Europe League and FA Cup, whilst at-least challenging for the Premier League title, but Wednesday’s game looks like an important one in the context of requiring some renewed positive during a busy & high-stakes period of the season, and in a competition for which Liverpool must surely be considered favourites.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 05:15:02 pm by jackh »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
We both have tricky games on the weekend, but I would still be surprised if there's much rotation on either side.  This will be a tough one, Moyes will dig in and play on the counter as always.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Big game this, feels like an opportunity to try something we might like for when Mo is away though no Diogo is annoying. We'll get the usual "nothing cup, doesn't matter" "full reserves" lot in here but as always I completely disagree, a great opportunity to win something given how weak the remaining teams are and I think that'd do this group good. Only annoying thing is if we do get through we'll never get the luck of a 2 legger v the winner of the Boro game, it'll be a derby or Chelsea, Newcastle.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Clearest path we’ve had to a final in a long time. Go as hard as possible without compromising the Arsenal game. We need the win, would be nice to get a performance as well.

Don’t want to even contemplate welcoming Arsenal on the back of two meh results.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
I'd really like us to take this as seriously as possible.

People will, understandably, point to the two matches either side of this game as to reasons why we should field a weakened side, but, at the end of the day, if this was an important CL group stage match as it often has been at this time of year, nobody would be suggesting that we rest players, we're fairly well versed in the 3 matches within 6 days over the last few years, particularly as we were able to field a B team last week at USG.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Alisson
Gomez   Quansah   VVD   Tsimikas
Endo   Jones   Elliot
Salah   Gakpo   Dom

Alisson to accomodate changes elsewhere and because Kelleher is struggling.
Gomez/The Q will both play, VVD is much more durable than Konate and Trent will need the rest more.
Same midfield played at Union SG and were crap, but home in a more important game hopefully helps.
Salah to just keep on playing until AFCON pretty much.

Bench should come in handy but we need to start strong, which is exactly what West Ham will want to do. Make a whole host of changes and it might be Leicester two years ago without the turnaround. Hoping for a good old fashioned cup atmosphere to leave us within touching distance of Anfield South ... FUCKING COME ON LIVERPOOL!!!!!!!!!
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for a really detailed op Jack. One minor correction, ko is 20:00.
Looking forward to my second visit to the Upper Anfield Rd stand tomorrow, hope to see my first victory from it tomorrow!
Think we will go pretty strong but still make 5-6 changes. Great news that Gravenberch will likely be involved but disappointing that Macca will be out to New Year, also encouraging that Jota is close to being  available.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
I’d play a full strength team, including Alisson.
Can’t see the point of playing Kelleher in a must win game.
Having a week off last midweek didn’t help our performance quality last Sunday, and Klopp has mentioned previously a normal match playing rhythm of midweek and weekend.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
I imagine West Ham will go full strength, so we should too.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Even though I want us to win this competition if any of our players that would start against Arsenal need a rest then wouldn't want them starting tomorrow night

As strong as we can go taking above into account and hopefully a good performance and win in the 90

West Ham will rotate too but im sure they'll go quite strong for this
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Do yellow cards in this competition count towards the Premier League totting up process? Nunez is on 4, could do without him missing a game over the Christmas period.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for a really detailed op Jack. One minor correction, ko is 20:00.
Looking forward to my second visit to the Upper Anfield Rd stand tomorrow, hope to see my first victory from it tomorrow!
Think we will go pretty strong but still make 5-6 changes. Great news that Gravenberch will likely be involved but disappointing that Macca will be out to New Year, also encouraging that Jota is close to being  available.

Ljinders was a bit unclear about Grav’s availability but wouldn’t be surprised if he makes the bench.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I bet they hold him for arsenal given that we are low on midfielders all of a sudden -

Jone, Endo, Szob + Harvey?

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Things are getting a little tricky with a tight schedule and Robertson, Matip, Mac Allister, Bajcetic, Thiago, Jota, and now Doak, all missing. West Ham are also in the Europa League and played on Sunday too so it’s even stevens in terms of schedules. But we have Arsenal on Saturday in a huge league game and they are out of this competition so have midweek off.

I’d expect Klopp to stick with Kelleher for the whole competition like he has done for the past couple of years. I’d bring in Gakpo for Diaz/Nunez, Elliott for Szoboszlai, Jones for Gravenberch, Gomez for Trent, and Quansah for Konate.

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
I actually have no idea how we will go for this for three reasons:

1) Its not Leicester (but considering how we lined up against them), it's an EL challenging rival
2) We have Arsenal at Anfield next
3) Injuries

I don't know, maybe we go for: Kelleher, Bradley, Gomez, Quansah, Tsimikas, Endo, Elliot, Jones, Szobo, Nunez, Gordon? Key players on at HT if it does not work?
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
We should go strong here to build form (performances not results). At least, the big boys didn't even travel to Belgium last week.

If we we playing better, I'd rest more players.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We are starting salah in every game until he leaves for AFCON.
Gakpo played 20+
Nunez played 75

Szob went out at 60 mins
Jones only played 15 mins
Elliot only played 15 mins

In the back we will probably start a young LB + Quansah. Gomez or VVD to partner Q.

Trent will also start.

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
We are starting salah in every game until he leaves for AFCON.
Gakpo played 20+
Nunez played 75

Szob went out at 60 mins
Jones only played 15 mins
Elliot only played 15 mins

In the back we will probably start a young LB + Quansah. Gomez or VVD to partner Q.

Trent will also start.

Unsure if we risk Chambers against Bowen and Kudus. They would take this seriously considering they are challenging for Europe, (both EL and conference) and it's currently within their reach, and if they beat us, they are near favorites for the EL and so they might go decently full team for this.
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Referee: Tim Robinson ( from West Sussex)
Assistant Referees: Edward Smart and Nick Greenhalgh
Fourth Official: Anthony Taylor

No VAR this round.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
You either think we can win the league this season or you don't .. the line up you want for this game basically tells you where you are on that spectrum

Offline YNWA.A

• Main Stander
Ali

Gomez  Quansah Van Dijk  Tsimkas

Szobo  Endo  Jones

Harvey Nunez Gakpo

Maybe?

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
You either think we can win the league this season or you don't .. the line up you want for this game basically tells you where you are on that spectrum

I am not sure it is that simple. There is a balance between resting players and building rhythm and momentum.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
I'd be in favor of resting key players for Arsenal --  a much more important match in my view.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Online Bennett

• Legacy Fan
Biggest issue we have is who is going to play the six and who is going to fill the front line? In terms of the six, we can't run Endo into the ground. In terms of the front line, Gakpo is the only cert. Maybe Elliott on the right as well. No idea what the side is going to be tomorrow and, as spoilt as this sounds, we could really do without this fixture right now.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
We've not been playing well lately, especially our attack.  We need to play some players into form. What's the point of resting players that are off form anyway?

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
they will absolutely go with their first-team lineup.

while we are scrounging around the dressing room for healthy players,
according to premierinjuries,  West Ham have a total of one player injured.  Antonio.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan

Nah it doesn't.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
I am not sure it is that simple. There is a balance between resting players and building rhythm and momentum.

Not with 3 games in 6 days with the hardest one against rested opponents last there isn’t

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
I'd be in favor of resting key players for Arsenal --  a much more important match in my view.

So it's the league or nothing this season?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
So it's the league or nothing this season?

League over everything else.  Doesn't mean league or nothing, but it should be the priority if we're in with a shout, which we are.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
All the sudden we are short of bodied in midfield. Any kids ready for the first team?
Justice for the 96!

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
All the sudden we are short of bodied in midfield. Any kids ready for the first team?
only McConnell and tomorrow is probably too much to ask of him.  Klopp loves to gives kids a chance but never wants to drop them into a game this important.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Not with 3 games in 6 days with the hardest one against rested opponents last there isn’t

We barely broke sweat against United though. West Ham is likely to be the same, a game in which we have an overwhelming possession advantage. For me, we can go with a strong lineup without putting players in the red zone.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Thanks for the OP jack.

I think we might see a few changes because that’s what we’ve been doing in the League Cup til now.

I’d still expect everyone likely to start Saturday who doesn’t start v West Ham to be on the bench and available to try and turn the game if required.

We’re not playing brilliantly at the moment so we may also go stronger to try and play ourselves into better form. Tough to know which way Jurgen will go,

I really hope we go strong enough to win the tie through. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to win the League as well.

"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Rest Trent, Van Dijk, Salah and Alisson. The rest can go again.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
they will absolutely go with their first-team lineup.

while we are scrounging around the dressing room for healthy players,
according to premierinjuries,  West Ham have a total of one player injured.  Antonio.

Moyes will want to break his Anfield duck and if he does they've got a great chance of a trophy with the teams that would be left.

They've put Europe to bed till March and they're basically going to be mid-table in the league anyway, so i'd imagine they'll go for it, a bit like Leicester a couple of years ago against us (who then rested half the team for City in the league that weekend).

We'll need to manage the squad anyway, but it's worth starting Nunez in the hope he can blag a goal because he desperately needs a boost.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Kelleher

Gomez quansah Konate Tsimikas

Endo               curtis

Elliot

Mo            Gakpo         Diaz

Mo off before 60 if we are winning by a few.

Means we rest Becker, VVD, Trent, Dom and hopefully Mo for a bit for Arsenal.

We are so short on midfield options currently that it's worrying.

I'd go Curtis, Dom and Gravenberch midfield for Arsenal and maybe bring Nunez in depending on how Gakpo does tomorrow.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Kelleher

Gomez quansah Konate Tsimikas

Endo               curtis

Elliot

Mo            Gakpo         Diaz

Mo off before 60 if we are winning by a few.

Means we rest Becker, VVD, Trent, Dom and hopefully Mo for a bit for Arsenal.

We are so short on midfield options currently that it's worrying.

I'd go Curtis, Dom and Gravenberch midfield for Arsenal and maybe bring Nunez in depending on how Gakpo does tomorrow.

they are going to score at will if Kelleher persists on playing so far over to the right.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
Not confident for this. Think they will go pretty much full strength whilst we rotate with one eye on Arsenal. Going for 2-1 to West Ham.  Hope I am wrong
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 09:40:41 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
We don’t need to start Mo, he’s already played enough minutes this season as it is in relation to his teammates, plus he’s going to AFCON in the new year.