Author Topic: Baldurs Gate 3  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Baldurs Gate 3
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2024, 12:43:00 pm »
For me it feels replayable in a way that you can experiemnt with builds, try new party members, try doing battles in a different way etc. That aspect of it is very, very rich. The linear map though, felt very constrained to me. Especially the Act 3, where I hoped once I reach Baldur's Gate things would open up, I would make my hub in the city and go out exploring (much like previous BG games). Instead you end up cooped up inside until you end the game. Dunno, I enjoyed playing it - just don't feel like playing it again. BG2 I replayed about ten times.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2024, 01:18:05 pm »
Some of my mates have been playing Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds for pushing 20 years. It’s the same base game, pushing through the same story. They take joy in tweaking builds and seeing how they change things.

Wanted to ask: if two of you are playing couch co-op, can others join in multiplayer online? I’m on Xbox.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2024, 04:59:38 pm »
Do you not get bored of the same content? I've tried to do every mission/side mission, I get you can go "evil" etc. But the content is pretty much the same stuff.

I’m on my 7th(???) character and I’m still getting bits of dialogue I’ve never heard before.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2024, 07:05:50 pm »
Some of my mates have been playing Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds for pushing 20 years. It’s the same base game, pushing through the same story. They take joy in tweaking builds and seeing how they change things.

Wanted to ask: if two of you are playing couch co-op, can others join in multiplayer online? I’m on Xbox.

The same base game = Dungeons and Dragons :D
I am no nerd (in that way) but the rulesets between those games are years and years apart

Anyway, I don't knooow but I THINK yoou can join multi at any time - the multi seems really open, people can come and join your party as and when you like (you can deny them of course)

Split screen gaming is underrated - great to see a comeback.

As someone in the industry... I really admire this. They thought of EVERYTHING

Offline Tombellylfc

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #124 on: February 9, 2024, 05:16:06 am »
Finished my first play through with my mate last night. Clocked in at around 120 hours. As soon as we was done we clicked straight into a new game. First run through I was a fighter he was a bard and we had shadowheart and gale for most of the playthrough. This time I am being a druid and him a ranger and we plan to use mainly karlach and Astarian. First couple of hours already feel different enough even though we know the main story beats. I still also plan a future run through probably solo doing the dark urge. Honestly what a game, at this point it's in my top 3 or 4 games of all time.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 9, 2024, 07:32:41 am »
I’m on my 7th(???) character and I’m still getting bits of dialogue I’ve never heard before.

I get it for act 1 and 2 but I’ve been disappointed with act 3.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: February 9, 2024, 08:00:39 am »
Act 3 has been a big disappointment. First two acts, the linear nature of the progression through maps works because you're aiming to get to the city. Once you do - they should have opened up the game imo. They didn't - they just left you locked in oversized chicken coop. It just felt meh for me. I was engaged enough in the story to finish it, but it felt so underwhelming. This game suffers from serious lack of main quest unrelated adventuring. There are almost no zones that aren't there to serve the main quest progression.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 9, 2024, 09:28:05 am »
Act 3 has been a big disappointment. First two acts, the linear nature of the progression through maps works because you're aiming to get to the city. Once you do - they should have opened up the game imo. They didn't - they just left you locked in oversized chicken coop. It just felt meh for me. I was engaged enough in the story to finish it, but it felt so underwhelming. This game suffers from serious lack of main quest unrelated adventuring. There are almost no zones that aren't there to serve the main quest progression.

Many spoilers for Act 3 below fyi.

Spoiler
The pace just seemed totally off, you finish act 2 building to an invasion of the city in this urgent must get there and stop the hoards about to attack type crescendo. You get there and people are primarily wandering around, there is a bit of people building to defend, but you head into the city and straight away you're into a coronation which you could if you wanted to fight through and it's one of the last boss fights.

I like to explore and do side quests before finishing main quests but within about 2 minutes of being in the lower city Orin had kidnapped Halsin and it felt I was back into another timed event so I had to follow through with that to the end. I finish that, come back then help the gnomes, still not got to Gortash. It's just all over the show none of the events link to eachother, killing Orin should make the watchers attack you on sight as Gortash is now shitting himself but they just wander around as normal.

Maybe it's the difficulty level, I'm on Balance but I hit level 12 before I killed Orin and every encounter is now just trivial, the dragon I finished with full health in about 3 turns etc. This has meant it's more about running around just finishing things rather than it being a challenge which the other acts were, like agroing all the goblins or the creche etc.
[close]