Author Topic: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe  (Read 336080 times)

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe
« Reply #640 on: February 5, 2011, 10:02:53 am »
I'm glad I'm not your missus!

And I'm just sick of being patronised, he's seen how we respond to Owen, why the fuck does he think we're clueless?

I'd respect him more if he said "I've got no spine, I want more money and medals on a plate".

Feelings mutual then! & I agree, I'm fed up of the patronising toad too.

Right here & right now all we (i.e. LFC fans) can do, & all the players can do is to focus solely on their jobs on Sunday; uber-professional. We stand a better chance of getting a result if we do that than if we spend 90 minutes singing about a player who is dead to me now.

Support the players we have, LFC vs. the world - it's the only way.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: February 5, 2011, 10:03:44 am »
Shouldn't this be in the General Football and Sport forum.

Who cares what the rentboy or his people say.

This

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #642 on: February 5, 2011, 10:40:12 am »
So he owes us nothing huh?

Well you live in  the reality of your little bubble and I'll live in mine. Mine tells me that if someone is paid a king's ransom every week then the least I can expect for that King's ransom is a modicum of effort.

What I meant was that he isn't a local lad and doesn't owe us anything more than any other player from overseas. We got 50million for the lad, it's not as if hes done an Owen and run his contract down.

And whilst his body language has not been good in the last season and a half (something that he is not exactly alone in), he has scored 27 goals in 45 appearances. As far as I am concerned if a striker is scoring better than a goal every other game then they are earning their wage.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: February 5, 2011, 10:46:44 am »
Good luck to him. Enjoyed having him here but now he's gone.

I'm looking forward to the future

Offline Hal9000

• Feels much better now, he really does!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #644 on: February 5, 2011, 11:05:23 am »
I accept he had to move and he doesn't have time to wait for our revival, I can accept the opportunity to move came in this window and he didn't want to pass it up - a loss for us but OK.

But the whole "I was never a Liverpool fan and I never kissed the badge" is a touch classless imo, and also I don't believe him.

(whether he ever literally kissed the badge is neither here nor there to me, I take that as him saying the shirt never meant that much to him)

I haven't read his book but enough people have called it "The Book of Lies'' to make me believe he expressed a great deal of love for this club not that long ago, I remember quotes from him about the fans in the Echo "They love me and I love them", I remember the five finger salute to the ManU fans after scoring........ I'm sure there's other examples.

Perhaps he's reacting to the vitriol that's been expressed towards him and is retaliating, but those words seem like a bit of a betrayal imo and I hadn't thought badly of him until he said that. Yuk

« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 11:15:36 am by Hal9000 »

Offline fromthepen

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • man and boy a red
« Reply #645 on: February 5, 2011, 11:07:07 am »
brilliant...anyone watching soccer am just now? Stephen Graham..top scouse actor currently in boardwalk empire just ripped torres shirt off studio wall and tok=ok a pretend dump on it....pure class
let me see LFC win one more title before my time is up!

Offline Steve O

• Anny Roader
« Reply #646 on: February 5, 2011, 11:13:12 am »
brilliant...anyone watching soccer am just now? Stephen Graham..top scouse actor currently in boardwalk empire just ripped torres shirt off studio wall and tok=ok a pretend dump on it....pure class

"when you take your wife to the xmas party, keep an eye on the Chelsea captain"

Online cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #647 on: February 5, 2011, 11:14:42 am »
actually I never really bounced...I kept my feet on the ground...I was faking Torres...do you here me Torres...faking..yes!!

:)

Offline LFC_lad

• Kemlynite
« Reply #648 on: February 5, 2011, 11:18:44 am »
FERNANDO TORRES: STEVEN GERRARD SAID IT'S OK TO LEAVE LIVERPOOL FOR CHELSEA

FERNANDO TORRES insists he left Liverpool with skipper Steven Gerrard’s blessing.

And Chelsea’s new £50m hitman says he had to leave Anfi eld because he couldn’t wait any longer for the club to start winning trophies.

The Spain ace was officially unveiled as a Blues player yesterday and manager Carlo Ancelotti refused to rule out an explosive debut for Torres against his old team tomorrow.

If Torres plays, he is sure to get a venomous reception from livid Kop fans who view him as a traitor after his big-money switch.

But the 26-year-old claims Kopskipper and lifelong Liverpool supporter Gerrard, who has twice rejected moves to Chelsea, has backed his move.

Torres said: “He (Gerrard) was one of the first ones who called me and supported me, hoping the best for me. Maybe because he was in that situation before.

“He’s been a good friend and team-mate from the first to the last day. He only wanted the best for me and said he’d agree with me whatever decision I made.

“I don’t think it’s fair to call me a traitor, but it’s an opinion. I will never talk bad about any Liverpool players or staff.

“They can say what they want. I think ‘traitor’ makes no sense.

“I played three good seasons, left massive money there, lots of goals, good performances.

“I helped the sale process as well, but I have to think about my career. In life sometimes there are trains that only come your way once and you have to take that train.”

Starsport revealed his desire to quit in September and the striker admits he could wait no longer for the rebuilding process on Merseyside to bear fruit.

He said: “I felt like I wanted to leave over the last two years.

“Since the new owner, John Henry, came in the club is now moving in the right direction.

“They know how to do things, but they need time. Maybe I’m at my best age to play football now.

“I was honest with everyone. I told them face to face my feelings and that I wanted to join Chelsea.”

Ancelotti was cagey about whether Torres will play, saying: “It wouldn’t be an emotional decision. Fernando has trained only three times this week.

“He doesn’t have a problem playing Liverpool. He has the knowledge to manage with this kind of game.”

Source: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/175326/Fernando-Torres-Steven-Gerrard-said-it-s-OK-to-leave-Liverpool-for-Chelsea-/
"No one individual is bigger than this club. There never has been and never will be"

Kenny Dalglish

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #649 on: February 5, 2011, 11:25:10 am »
As I said to rossi above, how is leaving us to win trophies any different to leaving his boyood club for tropies back in 2007?

He also said he would never play for another English side, that irritates me more.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline PaisleyPrint

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #650 on: February 5, 2011, 11:30:00 am »
I'm done with the rentboy.  We lost a far greater red this week.

Edit;

Just read Eddie Spearritt has gone too.  Sad week for us Reds. :'(
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 11:34:28 am by PaisleyPrint »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #651 on: February 5, 2011, 11:30:09 am »
What I meant was that he isn't a local lad and doesn't owe us anything more than any other player from overseas. We got 50million for the lad, it's not as if hes done an Owen and run his contract down.

And whilst his body language has not been good in the last season and a half (something that he is not exactly alone in), he has scored 27 goals in 45 appearances. As far as I am concerned if a striker is scoring better than a goal every other game then they are earning their wage.

This is what I meant by apologist on Torres's behalf.

Please let's call it as it was, not as we'd like it to have been.

I watched him in the flesh week after week, game after game. Fuck his body language. I'm talking about a player - OUR PRINCIPAL nay ONLY STRIKER - upon whom the team and the fans was relying and he was barely managing to break into a friggin stroll let alone a run. Not one other player apart from Gerrard for a short while last season could be accused of anything approaching that disgusting non-existent level of commitment. Individually and collectively the team was poor but the players - Torres apart - were at least putting in the effort.

And all during this awful period of non existent effort we all made excuses - poor tactics, injry recovery, poor quality teammates. And all the time he was simply taking the piss.

These attempts at justifying that behaviour as simply poor body language are simply re-writing the actuality of what went on. Yes his body language was diabolical but it was the unforgivable determination on his part not to even try on behalf of the team and the fans which is the reason why no true Liverpudlian should be uttering a fuckin syllable in this imposter's defence.   

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #652 on: February 5, 2011, 11:39:20 am »
I am ready to move on. Yes I am very sad and angry and must admit bitter, but others like him left us before him and we didn't die.

I just hope that Sunday he doesn't score, as that would be even worse and could potentially spell even trouble.

Also, maybe due to bitterness, but I hope he finds out that he made a mistake. After all we are on the up, and Chelsea has a massive rebuilding to do as well. So...
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline fromthepen

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • man and boy a red
« Reply #653 on: February 5, 2011, 11:58:44 am »
WHAT IF....SLIM CHANCE BUT WHAT IF...WE BEAT THEM TOMORROW AND WE DO SNEAK INTO A TOP 4 SPOT AND THE Chelsea DON'T .....HOW  F....ING SWEET WOULD THAT BE
let me see LFC win one more title before my time is up!

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #654 on: February 5, 2011, 12:01:54 pm »
Torres did what's best for Torres. He's not the first quality player to leave this club for a better shot at winning medals.

The club needs to arrest a trend that's been going on since maybe Owen's departure.

We can criticise the character of Torres, Masch, Xabi, Owen, Mcmanaman, Gerrard (when he thought of leaving for Chelskee) etc, etc...  but like a guy who keeps having his gf's walk out on him, there comes a time when he needs to wake up and look in the mirror, at the one link that's between all of them.

It's irrelevent if any of them have gone on to do great things or not when leaving the club, the worry is why do players feel the need to leave to get a better shot at winning titles ?.

Failure for the club to address this issue, will result in everyone coming on here and calling Suarez a c*nt in 4 years from now and saying "I never liked Carroll anyway, that big oaf, hope you choke on you way to <x club>" and so on.

Offline Carra23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: February 5, 2011, 12:02:14 pm »
WHAT IF....SLIM CHANCE BUT WHAT IF...WE BEAT THEM TOMORROW AND WE DO SNEAK INTO A TOP 4 SPOT AND THE Chelsea DON'T .....HOW  F....ING SWEET WOULD THAT BE

That happening would have a degree of 'wankability' about it.
Would be amusing.
Sent from my laptop using my fingers to type

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: February 5, 2011, 12:06:28 pm »
I hope the lads can use this debacle as inspiration and fucking twat these c*nts.

Any chance of not dwelling on this crap any longer and moving this to the general footy forum along with all the other shit that has nothing to do with our club?

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #657 on: February 5, 2011, 12:06:32 pm »

If the players need any more motivation for this game, Torres has provided us with it. Kenny reminding the team that Torres left because he didnt think some of them deserved to play in the same team as him should fire them up plenty.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline kinofi

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #658 on: February 5, 2011, 12:10:28 pm »
Lets show him who is the big team

Offline reddd10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: February 5, 2011, 12:11:05 pm »
I hope he walks out to "blue is the colour" and thinks "oh shit."

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #660 on: February 5, 2011, 12:12:49 pm »
his last interviews...hmm he's trying to wash the shit with pee
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Online cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: February 5, 2011, 12:15:33 pm »

thats what we all hoping for

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #662 on: February 5, 2011, 12:16:03 pm »

I believe Fernando experienced something slightly similar when Atletico knocked us out of the UEFA Cup semi final. It must be remembered that Fernando left Atletico when they failed to qualify for Europe a few years ago. Not only did Atletico knock us out but they went on to win the trophy, something which Fernando said he'd join us for = winning club trophies. Thanks to the players replaced with his funds Atletico were much stronger in attack with effectively his replacement Forlan the match and trophy winner. Forlan would also go on to win the Player of the World Cup award, a tournament which Fernando never made his mark in 2010 when he was touted at the best striker in the world... Also, with a strengthened attacking force Atletico did qualify for the Champions League after his departure which meant that maybe he could have performed for his team if he had patience and faith. I believe we Liverpool struggled against Atletico in those two games in the Champions League and if you look back fairly you have to accept that there were some bizarre referee decisions... Yes, Fernando didn't play all those games and there must be a psychological weakness that he gets injured in time for such a game...
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline miakeks

• Legacy Fan
  • Quod erat demonstrandum. :P
« Reply #663 on: February 5, 2011, 12:19:01 pm »
Can we go back to caring about our own players now?
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.” (Voltaire, 1694 - 1778)

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #664 on: February 5, 2011, 12:20:09 pm »

Yeah he has a great goals to game ratio.

If he had played more games though LFC might have won things during his time here and that's the point.

Offline Get

• ...ting perilously close to being banned, so even the avatar is WRONG!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Support Brendan Rodgers
Quote from: Fordy on July 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Anything more that 6m for Joe Allen and we have been ripped off.

Loads of Joe allens out there.

I would like to see him stay at Swansea myself and see if he can have another decent season. He is a championship player - players like a championship player.

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: February 5, 2011, 12:27:02 pm »
Charlie Nicholas speaking some sense on Soccer Saturday.
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning

Offline Liver Bird

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: February 5, 2011, 12:31:02 pm »
I just wish he's said romance was dead when he joined us so we all knew where we stood, instead he made money selling books about us being the only english club he could see himself at along with the rest of stupid merchandise.
"The fans are the greatest in the land.They know the game and they know what they want to see.The people on the kop make you feel great- yet humble" bill shankly.

Offline Wendy Baby

• Permanently stuck in 1917.
  • Kopite
  • Everything is in constant movement and change
« Reply #668 on: February 5, 2011, 12:36:37 pm »
Torres did what's best for Torres. He's not the first quality player to leave this club for a better shot at winning medals.

The club needs to arrest a trend that's been going on since maybe Owen's departure.

We can criticise the character of Torres, Masch, Xabi, Owen, Mcmanaman, Gerrard (when he thought of leaving for Chelskee) etc, etc...  but like a guy who keeps having his gf's walk out on him, there comes a time when he needs to wake up and look in the mirror, at the one link that's between all of them.

It's irrelevent if any of them have gone on to do great things or not when leaving the club, the worry is why do players feel the need to leave to get a better shot at winning titles ?.

Failure for the club to address this issue, will result in everyone coming on here and calling Suarez a c*nt in 4 years from now and saying "I never liked Carroll anyway, that big oaf, hope you choke on you way to <x club>" and so on.

It's not the clubs fault and for sure not the fans either. We as fans should expect some loyalty, are you saying otherwise? If so I believe once we give that expectation up we all join the swamp. New realism is a state of mind, usually turns up when principles need to be readdressed. 
My Dad is the most important person in my life. Everything of value I have learnt I learned from him. X

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #669 on: February 5, 2011, 12:43:10 pm »
Torres needs to realise no one really can blame him for leaving at this stage of his career to win things - What bugs us is who he went to. Followed by the silly remarks (big club/Chelsea always show respect)

People are saying we've done the same with Carol, but I dont see us and Newcastle being "rivals"
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Jobby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #670 on: February 5, 2011, 12:52:57 pm »
I don't want to hate Torres.  I don't want to see him reviled tomorrow or when he comes to Anfield. 

I want to grasp at the reasons Sid Lowe suggests for some kind of reasoning.  I want to remember his time with us warmly.  I want to believe in his connection with us.

I want to, but I can't, because what I want just doesn't square up with his words and actions.  Maybe in time, but for now, all I'd have for him at Anfield is a blank silence.

That's my heavy sigh, onwards now.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: February 5, 2011, 01:26:34 pm »
This is what I meant by apologist on Torres's behalf.

Please let's call it as it was, not as we'd like it to have been.

I watched him in the flesh week after week, game after game. Fuck his body language. I'm talking about a player - OUR PRINCIPAL nay ONLY STRIKER - upon whom the team and the fans was relying and he was barely managing to break into a friggin stroll let alone a run. Not one other player apart from Gerrard for a short while last season could be accused of anything approaching that disgusting non-existent level of commitment. Individually and collectively the team was poor but the players - Torres apart - were at least putting in the effort.

And all during this awful period of non existent effort we all made excuses - poor tactics, injry recovery, poor quality teammates. And all the time he was simply taking the piss.

These attempts at justifying that behaviour as simply poor body language are simply re-writing the actuality of what went on. Yes his body language was diabolical but it was the unforgivable determination on his part not to even try on behalf of the team and the fans which is the reason why no true Liverpudlian should be uttering a fuckin syllable in this imposter's defence.

As I said, over last season and this season he has scored 27 goals in 45 games. If he managed to do that without breaking into a stroll and with a non existent level of commitment then he is an even better player than people have given him credit for.

The fact that he played as badly, if not worse, for Spain in the summer suggests to me that whatever was going on with him, it wasn't simply confined to him having given up on Liverpool.

If his committment was really so obviously lacking then I would have thought it would have been widely noted and people would have been going mental on here and at the game long before the events of this window.  If anyone is rewriting history it's you. 

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: February 5, 2011, 01:29:50 pm »
Yeah he has a great goals to game ratio.

If he had played more games though LFC might have won things during his time here and that's the point.

So it's his fault he got injured?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: February 5, 2011, 01:30:01 pm »
whats he saying?

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: February 5, 2011, 01:32:01 pm »

So did Merson and Thommo.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: February 5, 2011, 01:49:16 pm »
Torres needs to realise no one really can blame him for leaving at this stage of his career to win things - What bugs us is who he went to. Followed by the silly remarks (big club/Chelsea always show respect)
I'm starting to understand that he shouldn't have to wait for us to meet his ambition and I full agree with your points.
I have to admit it all shook me a bit this week - I really did struggle with it early in the week. However, he played his part in us getting £50m only weeks after I'd posted that he should fucking shape up and stop sulking.
I still wish him no luck whatsoever. Its part of football losing an idol and its part of football to dislike the rival.

Offline ThePrufeshanul

• Bastard child of Jose Mourinho and Maggie Thatcher
  • Kopite
  • ..whose game is tighter than Suarez's shirt says..
« Reply #676 on: February 5, 2011, 01:55:17 pm »
Questions for those still seething about Torres:

1. Do you think he would have left if we were competing at the top level?

2. Is it because he left to go to Chelsea (the only option on the table) or would you have been as angry if he went to, say, Inter Milan? (which WASNT an option)

3. What SHOULD he have said at the press conference given that Chelsea had just invested 50 million in him?
"Lucas Leiva? That kid had more passes than Paris Hilton on Mastermind!"
"The funniest thing of all though is an agricultural long ball centre half not trusting the ability on the ball of some one who starts for Brazil precisely because of his passing ability." - Al555

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: February 5, 2011, 02:09:28 pm »
Questions for those still seething about Torres:

1. Do you think he would have left if we were competing at the top level?

2. Is it because he left to go to Chelsea (the only option on the table) or would you have been as angry if he went to, say, Inter Milan? (which WASNT an option)

3. What SHOULD he have said at the press conference given that Chelsea had just invested 50 million in him?

Seriously what are you? Torres agent or something.

1) Yes I do feel he would of left no matter what as Torres is about Torres like Owen was about Owen.

2) I have had this conversation with you before. Chelsea was the only option on the table cause it was designed that way. Chelsea clearly waited until City had brought a forward and then went in for the kill. Torres did have to leave.

3) Fuck what Chelsea had spent. Are you a Chelsea rent boy or something. Who cares what they had spent? We spent 35m on Carroll and I didnt hear shit like he is joining a top level club etc. He respected Newcastle and their fans. Torres showed fuck all to the fans that supported him.

You know what I dont really care about Torres. What I care about is them poor kids that got his shit for xmas and looked up to Torres.

Torres for the best part of a year hasnt produced to the standards he can and should for us and you just cant defend that.

Stop being a rentboy and understand that Torres is a "£$"

Offline gallden

• bols
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: February 5, 2011, 02:10:31 pm »
He is a c*nt, end of, and no words will change that.

He needs to stop pretending that he has done nothing wrong.
No no no he's the victim you've got it all wrong.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #679 on: February 5, 2011, 02:11:38 pm »

2. Is it because he left to go to Chelsea

yes

no need for first and third question to answer

"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez